Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't install to USB or SD card error, (when trying to install some apps)

• 17-09-2012 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

As the title suggests, I get the following error displayed when trying to install apps from the market place.

This error pops up 75% of the time when trying to install certain apps from the market place, my phone is an SGS2, rooted with stock ROM.

Googling the problem suggests a fix,
    The solution? Go and delete smdl2tmp1.asec yourself. From what I can tell, it could reside in 2 locations:

/sdcard/.android_secure - this is an invisible folder on your SD card, which you can access with any file manager, like ASTRO
    /mnt/secure/asec/ - access to this folder requires root and a program like Root Explorer

Look for smdl2tmp1.asec in these folders and delete any ones you see. Deleting it seems to be a safe enough operation - it's just a temporary file after all. Once you've done that, all the update problems should go away:

I/logwrapper( 170): /system/bin/newfs_msdos terminated by exit(0)

My problem being that I cannot find any file named smdl2tmp1.asec in any of the locations suggested, using both ES file explorer and ASTRO file manager.

The only way I can install apps when the error pops up is by going into settings and unmounting the sdcard, then remounting once the apps installed.

Obviously this is far from perfect, so I'm just curious as to whether or not any of you lot out there have experienced this problem, and if so how did you resolve it?

Cheers

Advertisement