Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 7 or something else?

• 16-09-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hearing a lot about the Nexus 7 and since I've never had a tablet before, I'm looking for one.

Would be interested to hear how well the nexus does for reading ebooks, pdfs etc?

I have a lot of them but dont like reading them on my S3 due to the screen size. I have a Sony ereader which I gave to herself, so I'm looking for something that will double as both an ereader and tablet.

Is the Nexus easy to root? Is internet browsing relatively fast for this tablet?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Hearing a lot about the Nexus 7 and since I've never had a tablet before, I'm looking for one.

Would be interested to hear how well the nexus does for reading ebooks, pdfs etc?

I have a lot of them but dont like reading them on my S3 due to the screen size. I have a Sony ereader which I gave to herself, so I'm looking for something that will double as both an ereader and tablet.

Is the Nexus easy to root? Is internet browsing relatively fast for this tablet?

Cheers.
    Have s3 and nexus.

Love the nexus... Haven't rooted yet but don't see why it would be difficult to do.

Very fast and smooth. Great price.

Try one in the shop before you buy. You'll quickly see if it's what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Have s3 and nexus.

Love the nexus... Haven't rooted yet but don't see why it would be difficult to do.

Very fast and smooth. Great price.

Try one in the shop before you buy. You'll quickly see if it's what you want

Have you used it for reading any pdf's and ebooks? Just wondering will the text be formatted for the screen?

Nothing bugs me more than unformatted text while reading, meaning I constantly have to resize every new page, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have one of the CnM 7" tablets from Argos: ICS 4.03, €119. It comes with a package called Aldiko that supports most eBook formats and PDFs as standard. So far I've mostly read ePubs, which has been great e.g. I have its Night Mode set up for green text on black, which is highly legible.

With PDFs, Aldiko defaults to full page view on each page, so you should read a portrait PDF on with the tablet held vertical. If you go landscape and zoom in, it zooms back out to full on the next page. But so far the resolution looks to be fine for typical PDF manuals, and you can also install Adobe Reader which doesn't have that problem.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ArsenalBoy

Cheers.
    This is probably one of the easiest tablets to root, because it it has a bootloader. Look up on youtube how to do it. Its the same as my Nexus S which is just a matter of gong into command prompt and typing a few commands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Also have an S3 and the Nexus 7. S3 is a great phone but I tend to Use the Nexus now all the time. I find it a perfect size. Easy to carry around and perfect for Web browsing. Have not done any e reading yet as I'm away on holidays and have not set it up properly yet. I would recommend you buy one.

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll be picking up a nexus so. Thanks for the info guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Looks like I'll be picking up a nexus so. Thanks for the info guys.

I got mine I am HMV. They are the cheapest but argos have them for 10€ more.....

Have a 16Gb model prebooked to pick up in argos tomorrow! Looking forward to my first tablet. Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Have a nexus 7, love it. <yself and herself use it all the time for reading. I use the kindle app and .mobi files. Find its the perfect size for reading, much lighter and easier to read then my 1st gen ipad, with the kindle app you can resize the text\page as you want and it will stay that size.

I also rooted this device, first time ive rooted an android, was fairly handy but to be honest, apart from USB drive support i fail to see the advantages, just rooted it because i could! Oh i installed switchme which i think needs to be rooted which allows you to setup different profiles. So ive one for myself and then one for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm using mine for reading ebooks using the Aldiko app and it's great. It's a breeze to load your own books from an external source and there's all kinds of options when it comes to customising the screen for reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

As an aside, if you format your downloaded ebooks to kindle friendly epub format and copy them over to all your android devices, whispersync works between devices which I find very handy. Finish up before bed reading on the tablet, open the phone up when waiting for the bus the next evening and hey presto you are exactly where you left off.

allybhoy wrote: »
    Have a nexus 7, love it. <yself and herself use it all the time for reading. I use the kindle app and .mobi files. Find its the perfect size for reading, much lighter and easier to read then my 1st gen ipad, with the kindle app you can resize the text\page as you want and it will stay that size.

I also rooted this device, first time ive rooted an android, was fairly handy but to be honest, apart from USB drive support i fail to see the advantages, just rooted it because i could! Oh i installed switchme which i think needs to be rooted which allows you to setup different profiles. So ive one for myself and then one for the kids
    I'm using mine for reading ebooks using the Aldiko app and it's great. It's a breeze to load your own books from an external source and there's all kinds of options when it comes to customising the screen for reading.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    As an aside, if you format your downloaded ebooks to kindle friendly epub format and copy them over to all your android devices, whispersync works between devices which I find very handy. Finish up before bed reading on the tablet, open the phone up when waiting for the bus the next evening and hey presto you are exactly where you left off.

Sweet. Looks like it will be perfect for my reading needs then. I have converted pdf's using calibre and transferred them over the the sony ereader in the past. So I presume I can use calibre to convert to epub format?

Any links to a guide on how to root it? I've only ever rooted an S2 and S3, but never a tablet.

The usb drive support would be pretty awesome in fairness. Would like to be able to have that functionality. Is that the OTG usb extension that I've read about?

Advertisement