Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still listen to Newstalk Breakfast after Ivan Yates

• 01-07-2012 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its 3 months since the Yatesmeister fled these shores and NT Breakfast drafted in Shane Coleman to partner Chris Donoghue. I've pretty much given up now and will only flick to it if Morning Ireland is boring the arse off me and BBC radio 4/5 is doing likewise (so not often then).

The post 9 am slots are now completely missable without Yates acerbic humour and insider knowledge of political machinations and the political guests they have on. Coleman must also have a good idea where the bodies are buried but stays resolutely "on side" posing dull questions and certainly not getting under anyones skin. Sure Ivans teasing of young, single Chris became tedious but I'd have that back if Breakfast got its spirit back.

Of course some might be glad to have seen the back of Yates and now prefer its still essentially light but more mainstream ways.

Since Ivan Yates left do you listen.... 142 votes

More
    0% 0 votes
    Less
    7% 10 votes
    About the same
    92% 132 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

As an aside, I'm happy there's no 'humourous' poll option. Too many surveys on boards ruined by atarijaguarlolrandom guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its been bloody awful since he left,Dermot Ahern's (FF) son in law is not up to this gig surely Ivan could have broadcast from a shed in Rhyl or wherever he is ensconced untill all the unpleasantness blows over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah i haven't listened to it since shortly after Ivan left. Chris O' Dohohue is useless even annoying without him. Putting on a captain of the ship/ air of seniority front that doesn't suit him at all. He knew his place or was kept in his place with Ivan at the helm and that worked but i just cant listen to him at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I listen to MI until 9:00, and Newstalk is the lesser of several evils to choose from until 10:00. I do miss the Yatesmeister but the show is still reasonably ok. Having said that, I've only recently discoverd the Mayo / Kermode podcast from Radio 5 and I'm really enjoying catching up on those, so I might be listening to less live radio for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I've stopped listening to it as I really miss Ivan on it. Shane Coleman afraid to say anything which might offend anyone = boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The show is not as good without Yeats.
    That said it is a bit unfair to blame donahue who is a young presenter. Remember that when Yeats came to the show first it took quite a while for them to find their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The show is not as good without Yeats.
    That said it is a bit unfair to blame donahue who is a young presenter. Remember that when Yeats came to the show first it took quite a while for them to find their feet.

He has been presenting the Breakfast Show for two years now, and working for Newstalk for eight years. I really don't understand how people keep defending Chris Donoghue on the basis that he is young and shouldn't be expected to be any good. It's not College Radio, it's the most important show on any station's schedule. And Newstalk badly need a change at Breakfast.

Skid wrote: »
    He has been presenting the Breakfast Show for two years now, and working for Newstalk for eight years. I really don't understand how people keep defending Chris Donoghue on the basis that he is young and shouldn't be expected to be any good. It's not College Radio, it's the most important show on any station's schedule. And Newstalk badly need a change at Breakfast.

They have just had a change.

If your logic had been applied to Ivan Yeats he would have been booted out soon after the change that brought him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They have just had a change.

If your logic had been applied to Ivan Yeats he would have been booted out soon after the change that brought him in.

My point is that Chris Donoghue is out of depth on that show, and I fail to see why we should make allowances because of his age.

Yates came from having no broadcasting experience. It took him a few months to settle into the role, no more than that. Donoghue has been broadcasting for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I dont mind Chris Donoghue but Shane Coleman seems only fine as a stop gap for me. I would agree someone who is not afriad to ask the hard question but will also explain the most complex of issues in very lay terms is needed. They should perhaps give Margaret E Ward a run she was excellent on the business section a few years back.

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    My point is that Chris Donoghue is out of depth on that show, and I fail to see why we should make allowances because of his age.

Yates came from having no broadcasting experience. It took him a few months to settle into the role, no more than that. Donoghue has been broadcasting for years.

We differ- I don't see him as being out of depth. If anything he has improved since Yeats finished with Newstalk- in his new role. He had previously been only given the lightest of stories so it will be interesting to hear him with more noteworthy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Conovski

Donohue is an idiot, full stop. His typical "I want to ask you a question now Minister but before I ask you that question minister i want to ask you this one, which is Minister, here on Newtalk 106-108FM, based on the deluge of texts we are getting in at 30 cent on 53106" shtick has me switching over before he gets the question out. FFS, and stop talking about your weekends. We want to be informed about current affairs, not what bars you were refused from. If I want lifestyle advice I'll go elsewere. If I want parenting advice I'll tune into D'Arcy (Christ!).

Coleman (Ahern's brother in law isn't he) was a far better contributor to radio shows than he is an anchor, and one of the better print journalists.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I listen a lot less, really miss Ivan and his political insight. Chris is doing ok I feel but he reminds me of beige, he needed Ivan to add colour. Shane just makes it so boring I'm turning off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I used to listen most mornings but very rarely do these days. 'Ultra Conservative' Shane really annoys me, more than Chris in fact.

Surely the ratings have gone through the floor. Any know what they were at the last JLNR count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The last figures were for up to March so we'll have to wait until April-September figures are released in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Surely the ratings have gone through the floor. Any know what they were at the last JLNR count?

They did well in the last set of figures - up to 138,000, but they were out only a couple of weeks after Ivan left. So you will have to wait until August to get the first verdict on Chris and Shane.

Edit:See Mike65's post for the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I dont mind Chris Donoghue but Shane Coleman seems only fine as a stop gap for me. I would agree someone who is not afriad to ask the hard question but will also explain the most complex of issues in very lay terms is needed. They should perhaps give Margaret E Ward a run she was excellent on the business section a few years back.

Dear God, no!

She seems like a nice person and all but that accent....first thing in the morning? No thanks, not again.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

It's awful since Ivan Yates left. The forced "banter" between Coleman & O'Donohoe is cringeworthy.

O'Donohoe is a little smarmy for my liking and his childishness is quite apparant during these futile and tiresome "chats" inbetween seqments about their weekends etc, which makes for truly terrible radio. The panel discussions after 9am seem to bring more of this inane behaviour out in him.

In addition, the repeated reading out of the same newspaper stories every hour is nothing short of lazy timefilling.

I've listened since Claire and Ger. I'm now switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Quite bizarrely, two votes for 'more' have appeared in the poll. Have Shane and Chris discovered this thread?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I called time on it a few weeks back. I gave it a good chance but Chris is not cut out as a morning anchor. Back to RTE 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

stopped soon after Ivan left, listen the odd time but with the choice of MI or newstalk i'm increasingly choosing a silent drive to work...in fairness though i think i've just lost interest in keeping up with the news as its groundhog day stuff, same sh1te for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

They should perhaps give Margaret E Ward a run she was excellent on the business section a few years back.

Yes indeed, I dont generally like Americans but she is different.I could listen to her all day (nearly:p).She hypnotises me in a good way:o.
    telekon wrote: »
    Dear God, no!

She seems like a nice person and all but that accent....first thing in the morning? No thanks, not again.

Shame on you tut tut tut :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

telekon wrote: »
    Dear God, no!

Her accent's a lot less irritating than Ian Guider's with his appalling diction and selection of speech impediments!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Chris is a bit rigid in his mannerisms, "speak to you". I do feel it needs the Ivan factor type of person.Maybe he spoilt us.Looks like Shane is staying.

I cant listen to MI though, its too staid:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

When Ivan was on it the exchanges with Chris were informative because of Ivan's varied life experiences. Now you have two hacks waffling. I hate Morning Ireland but its getting really hard to stay with Newstalk in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Chris is a nice guy but he should have a restraining order against all radio studios. He's brutal and his only redeeming quality was the Partridge-esque "banter" between himself and Ivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nascence

I actually afforded Ivan some credibility to pontificate, I mean he'd accomplished something outside getting a gig on a 3rd rate no-frills news themed entertainment station.

Why the hell anyone would want to hear Coleman or O'Donoghue's view on the state of the country is just strange to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 oidhreacht

I listen first thing in the morning, but increasingly find I need to turn off the radio for parts of the show. I can't stand "cringe", especially in the morning, so I switch off for things like:

* forced banter between SC/C'OD
    * C'OD talking sport
    * what I got up to over the weekend
    * usual "we've a lot to get through this morning" opening
    * "i'll take the broadsheets you have the tabloids"

I agree with comments re C'OD inability to anchor - he was irritating/childish as a deputy. I don't think they get on at all & at times you can hear an edge in their voices. Harmony between presenters, or lack of, is something that screams out & I think NT need to sort this out in the long term.

I think SC provides decent insights/opinions & having listened to his contributions on Hook's show on Fridays, I think he's pretty good. But it's not working out at for the morning show.

Due to lack of competition I think I'll maintain my switch off strategy with the hope that NT sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There's no O' in his surname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

I am a long time listener to newstalk and was critical of the former incarnations of the breakfast show (Claire Byrne and her stilted 'banter' with Ger Gilroy) - all light years away from the days of McWilliams and Dunphy (who could admittedly get repetitive with the same guests on ad nauseum - but give me Robert Fisk or Anthony Cronin any day over the contributors now).

I found Ivan Yeats to be sometimes interesting (COD 'banter' and rent a controversial opinion aside) but at least there were some considered/experienced views expressed from time to time and there was a vague sense of the inside track on political matters.

What we have now is forced bonhomie between 2 people who, while admittedly good natured, lack the personality to make up for the dearth of insightful contributors to the program. What we get is COD/SC's opinion about every aspect of the news - do I want to hear this I frequently ask myself as I turn off and listen to a podcast or (shudder) a piece about the tidy towns in Belturbet over on Morning Ireland.

We have COD/SC and their opinion on the newspaper headlines, a bit of banter, maybe a contributor sandwiched in between a competition and their views on something else. It's not all bad and sometimes a section can be interesting but it's the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure it's a tricky thing to get the balance right on a show but I don't think the current structure works, for me anyway. You'd have to wonder who else they could get to do it - after all they seem to run with about 2 overflow presenters who fill in for every other show (and one of them is SC). Anton Savage would be annoying, Fergus Finlay is doing a good job on Sunday (is he filling in for SC?)

How about Sile Seioge in the morning - now there's someone who would hasten the switch to Morning Ireland's Tidy Towns in Belturbet piece....

Rob

Advertisement