Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Debunking skeptics .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

nagirrac wrote: »
    Point us to one scientist who has criticised the work of Dean Radin. Not disagreed with the conclusions, criticised the work and called it nonsense.

Well apparently you don't like Professors of Philosophy pointing out the problems with Radin (a reverse appeal to authority? why does it have to be a scientist if the points are valid?), so how about a professor of psychology. James Alcock has been exposing the pseudo-science in the conclusions of Radin for years.
    You won't find any, as any scientist who has looked at his work regards the quality of the experiments as exemplary, and indeed most scientists today accept that psi effects exist but are not understood. Again, educate yourself.

Despite years of looking into it these "scientists" have never found an observable phenomena. What they have found are statistical curiosities, when you put hundreds of people together you find some odd events, but they can never narrow this down to individuals expressing psychic ability.

There is nothing here. Despite that these researchers continue trying to find a phenomena they can call paranormal, before they even get to explaining how it happens.

This is exposes the dishonesty of this research, they are actively looking for a phenomena to fit the explanation they wish were true (because it's damn exciting). This is the exact opposite of how science is supposed to work. These researchers so desperately want the interesting explanation to be true they are they are ignoring all the problems with their research, trying to find some way to claim that there is a paranormal element to these observations. It is the problem when you start with the conclusion and work backwards, again the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do in science.

Don't believe me? Find me a single observed phenomena that these researchers have started off with and proceeded to explain using a paranormal theory.

Just one will do.

IRWolfie- wrote: »
    Dre, I don't know what you mean by "All Easily replicated". James Randi exposed Hydrick and Popoff.

what has he done since, despite writing books on how he exposed the world wide phenomenon, the household name that was James Hydrick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Two paranormal enthusiasts are saying the opposite of each other. Which of the true believers is correct?

True believers? Eh? The only believers I know of are those who A) think ghosts definitely exist and B) those who think ghosts definitely dont exist.
    nagirrac wrote:
    If you have a science background you already know the answer to #1.

Please - explain to me how the scientific method is being used in paranormal research. Please dont mention ESP or mediums.

I think Randi himself is genuine enough. Its his overenthusiastic followers that give him a bad name.
    what has he done since, despite writing books on how he exposed the world wide phenomenon, the household name that was James Hydrick :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

maccored wrote: »
    Please - explain to me how the scientific method is being used in paranormal research. Please dont mention ESP or mediums.

There is obviously vigerous debate surrounding parapsychology and whether it is "true" science or "pseudo" science. However, regardless of one's views on this question, what cannot be claimed is that parapsychology research does not follow the scientific method.

Psychical research started in London in 1882. Stanford and Duke Universities were the first to open laboratories in the US studying ESP and telekeneisis in the early 20th century. If you don't believe the scientific method is being used to study ESP then you need to look up Ganzfeld experiments. There have been thousands of studies done under very strict laboratory conditions, in fact I would say that psi research is more closely monitored and controlled than most areas of science (extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence).

Keep in mind those who are most vocal about psi research being pseudoscience are professional sceptics who earn their living from debunking the work of others. We live in a very mysterious universe, those that mock and seek to suppress certain areas of science because they do not like the mystical implications, are not helping us understand it better. What contribution to furthering human knowledge has been made by professional skeptics? None.

• Advertisement

Theres more to paranormal research than esp and psi. theres no way at present to test for ghosts, therefore (at present) no way to collect decent data, make constructive experiments or progress much in actual research. This is why I say theres no use of the scientific method when it comes to other paranormal claims such as evps, the apparent relationship between the paranormal and emf etc etc.

This is changing mind you as people start to look at environmental factors with some datalogging environmental changes to see if they bear any reflection on any apparent paranormal events recorded during such experiments but that side to it is in its infancy. I stand by the claim that general paranormal research at present wouldnt satisfy the scientific method as it isnt being applied. That doesnt mean that in the meantime researchers wont concentrate in monitoring and ruling out normal environmental factors, rather than trying to isolate paranormal events.

What contribution to furthering human knowledge has been made by professional skeptics? None.

Surely to research something you have to be as unbiased as possible? It's very important to be skeptical, ie on the fense - otherwise youre biased one way or another. Too many cynical people (ie those with a belief that the paranormal is bull****) call themselves skeptical - but that doesnt mean we should lose sight of what being a 'skeptic' means in regards to paranormal research.

Surely to research something you have to be as unbiased as possible? It's very important to be skeptical, ie on the fense - otherwise youre biased one way or another. Too many cynical people (ie those with a belief that the paranormal is bull****) call themselves skeptical - but that doesnt mean we should lose sight of what being a 'skeptic' means in regards to paranormal research.

I agree everyone should be sceptical but I would make the distinction between sceptics and professional sceptics (that's what they do for a living) and in particular those that are influenced by them almost to a religious degree and are not sceptical at all but highly biased.

I think the best examples of this is what is regarded by many to be "common sense" or "conventional wisdom". When a lot of these "truths" are examined they are found to be false or have no evidence at all to support them.

pseudo-skeptics is what I call those.

I would differentiate between 'common sense' and 'conventional wisdom'. conventional wisdom is a shared logic, where as common sense varies in degrees in different people. For example, conventional wisdom might say to eat a banana upside down to cure a flu - whereas common sense wouldn't - though that would depend on how much common sense that person was using.
    I agree everyone should be sceptical but I would make the distinction between sceptics and professional sceptics (that's what they do for a living) and in particular those that are influenced by them almost to a religious degree and are not sceptical at all but highly biased.

I think the best examples of this is what is regarded by many to be "common sense" or "conventional wisdom". When a lot of these "truths" are examined they are found to be false or have no evidence at all to support them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi#Bibliography

How many books have you written? :P

• Advertisement

You just don't like them because they point out all the problems with your pet fields, the things you want to be true despite no researchers being able to produce accurate theories that they are. Time and time again you have rejected off hand any criticism of your fav researchers because they are ruining all the fun of pretending that there are paranormal phenomena going on, rather than just statistical oddities.

And you have the gall to complain about people being biased, you and maccored are quite the pair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

What contribution to furthering human knowledge has been made by professional skeptics? None.

You are so closed minded you wilfully deny what sceptics spend their time doing; the books they write, the journals they write in, the studies they do, the consumer protection work they do. Their contribution is real and tangible. To you, these contributions don't exist because you have a closed mind and refuse to see people who are sceptical in anything but a negative way. This is what makes you a true believer.

Sceptics don't dismiss all paranormal investigators or investigations, they question, challenge them and look at the methodologies etc etc. They don't even claim that paranormal phenomenon have been falsified, or even claim they are falsifiable. You on the other hand "know" the truth, and will go to any lengths to try and discredit anyone who doesn't share your belief; no matter how illogical your claims against them are. The severe cognitive dissonance necessary for that must be making you queasy.

You are so closed minded you wilfully deny what sceptics spend their time doing; the books they write, the journals they write in, the studies they do, the consumer protection work they do. Their contribution is real and tangible. To you, these contributions don't exist because you have a closed mind and refuse to see people who are sceptical in anything but a negative way. This is what makes you a true believer.

You have an interesting idea of what a closed mind is. A closed mind is one that will not consider alternatives to what is regarded as "conventional wisdom". I would argue that my mode of thinking is the opposite of that mode of thinking, but perhaps you know me better than I know myself. A sceptic is one who questions everything that is claimed to be true and wants to see evidence to support the claim. I am a sceptic, why would I see sceptics in a negative light?

My statement that you highlighted is that professional skeptics (such as Randi) do nothing to further our knowledge. You might point me to one discovery, invention, breakthrough in any field initiated by Randi, Wiseman or any of the well known professional skeptics. I am making the distinction here between skeptics in general and professional skeptics and in particular some of their fanatical followers who believe everything they say without actually looking at any evidence themselves.

I am not denying that Randi and others do some good work in exposing frauds. I would say this value can be overstated however in the same way that atheists trying to debunk religion is overstated. If religion give comfort to billions of people, where is the actual value to society in removing that comfort? Are these billions of people going to morph from having a spiritual outlook to having an outlook solely based on reason? Are they all going to take up Philosophy and abandon spirituality?

In my view, the limited good done by professional skeptics and their followers is is offset by the damage they do by attacking any science that they see as challenging conventional wisdom. We can argue this point indefinitely, but I won't change your mind and you won't change my mind. I resent the term "true believer" however. As an agnostic I am not a true believer in anything, and you will not find evidence for that in anything I have posted.

You have an interesting idea of what a closed mind is. A closed mind is one that will not consider alternatives to what is regarded as "conventional wisdom". I would argue that my mode of thinking is the opposite of that mode of thinking, but perhaps you know me better than I know myself. A sceptic is one who questions everything that is claimed to be true and wants to see evidence to support the claim. I am a sceptic, why would I see sceptics in a negative light?

My statement that you highlighted is that professional skeptics (such as Randi) do nothing to further our knowledge. You might point me to one discovery, invention, breakthrough in any field initiated by Randi, Wiseman or any of the well known professional skeptics. I am making the distinction here between skeptics in general and professional skeptics and in particular some of their fanatical followers who believe everything they say without actually looking at any evidence themselves.

I am not denying that Randi and others do some good work in exposing frauds. I would say this value can be overstated however in the same way that atheists trying to debunk religion is overstated. If religion give comfort to billions of people, where is the actual value to society in removing that comfort? Are these billions of people going to morph from having a spiritual outlook to having an outlook solely based on reason? Are they all going to take up Philosophy and abandon spirituality?

In my view, the limited good done by professional skeptics and their followers is is offset by the damage they do by attacking any science that they see as challenging conventional wisdom. We can argue this point indefinitely, but I won't change your mind and you won't change my mind. I resent the term "true believer" however. As an agnostic I am not a true believer in anything, and you will not find evidence for that in anything I have posted.

If you are genuinely open minded, and genuinely a skeptic, they what possible reason do you have to object to "professional skeptics", when
    they are merely exposing frauds and pointing out the weakness in claims?

Of course that isn't why you object to them. You object to them because they also spend time pointing out that the things you like to believe in are not supported by science, that the researchers who claim to have significant support for these things you like to believe in haven't actually managed to support them, and that the conclusions you and these researchers draw are based on faulty reasoning.

In other words they ruin all your fun. They ruin all the excitement. They are party poopers. They are the guys who say well actually it was a mistake, it was a fraud, it was a trick. And of course if you didn't have a strong emotional investment in really really wanting to believe in this stuff you wouldn't mind.

Zombrex wrote: »
    Of course that isn't why you object to them. You object to them because they also spend time pointing out that the things you like to believe in are not supported by science, that the researchers who claim to have significant support for these things you like to believe in haven't actually managed to support them, and that the conclusions you and these researchers draw are based on faulty reasoning.

The usual bluff and bluster with no end product Zombrex. I see you ran away over on the "born with the idea of God" thread after the usual bluffiing about my providing no evidence, and then when the evidence is provided you dodge over here.

I am an agnostic deist Zombrex, not an atheist. My reasoning is entirely different to yours. I keep an open mind when I see conflicting or tentative evidence as we have on many of these topics, such as psi effects, NDEs, etc. A strong atheist like yourself cannot approach these subjects with an open mind, as to even consider them lets in a sniff of God which must not be allowed. What you can't seem to comprehend is it is quite possible to hold science in the highest regard, as I do, and also to hold spiritual beliefs. Contrary to your firmly closed mind, lots of people have meaningful and reasoned lives that combine both.

You should also stop appealing to science, as on every thread when things get remotely technical from a scientific standpoint you either run away or defer to others who actually know something about the subject matter.

The usual bluff and bluster with no end product Zombrex. I see you ran away over on the "born with the idea of God" thread after the usual bluffiing about my providing no evidence, and then when the evidence is provided you dodge over here.

I'm sorry, where did you present any evidence? I must have missed that, because all I saw was you claiming that we know LSD extends the mental and cognative ability of the human brain beyond its natural limits because the people on the drugs said so :rolleyes:
    I am an agnostic deist Zombrex, not an atheist. My reasoning is entirely different to yours.

Well yes, you will get no dispute from me there nagirrac.
    I keep an open mind when I see conflicting or tentative evidence as we have on many of these topics, such as psi effects, NDEs, etc.

People always say they have an open mind when others are pointing out that their faith in their beliefs is unsubstantiated. In this context "open mind" just means I'm going to choose to ignore all the things that say I'm wrong, and keep an "open mind" that in fact I'm correct.

You only keep an "open mind" for the things you want to believe in. You keep an entirely closed mind to the idea that the things you want to believe in are not true or not supported or that the researchers you admire have made poor judgement, poor research or simply got it wrong.
    What you can't seem to comprehend is it is quite possible to hold science in the highest regard, as I do, and also to hold spiritual beliefs.

You don't hold science in the highest regard.

Part of science is accepting when claims cannot or are not supported. Part of science is going where the evidence takes you, not coming up with something you want to be true and then squeezing the evidence to fit this notion while disregarding all contrary evidence.

Science often tells researchers that in fact they are wrong, that there isn't something interesting going on, that what is actually happening is far more boring that the original claims.

Genuine scientist often have to accept this, accept that a claim was wrong and move on. They go where the evidence leads, even if that is not some where they want to be.

That is what real science is, because in real science having an accurate model of the world is more important than having an exciting one or an emotionally pleasing one.

That is what real science is, because in real science having an accurate model of the world is more important than having an exciting one or an emotionally pleasing one.

Please don't try and tell me what science is. Unlike you I have actually worked in the research field for over 25 years. I would never put my name to anything that I, or others who have worked for me over the years, have published that did not have solid evidence.

You are simply incapable of distinguishing what is firmly established by science from what is tentative. It has nothing to do with faith as it has nothing to do with spiritual or religious beliefs. It has to do with looking at data that does not quite fit with our "conventional wisdom" model of the universe, and not allowing dogma influence how you look at it. If it were not for research into areas with tentative evidence, there would be no scientific progress.

What is ironic is that strong atheists like yourself who rejects tentative data in fields like psi are no different than religious who rejected the concept of evolution because it did not fit their blinkered view of reality.

You object to them because they also spend time pointing out that the things you like to believe in are not supported by science

Seriously, what planet are you from. Do you actually really believe that? Is that how simplified the whole thing is?

I wouldnt even laugh if you were one of the people out there trying to see what is and isnt supported by science, but considering you dont seem to have ever spent a minute doing any related research at all just makes that post hilarious.
    If you are genuinely open minded, and genuinely a skeptic, they what possible reason do you have to object to "professional skeptics", when
    they are merely exposing frauds and pointing out the weakness in claims?

In other words they ruin all your fun. They ruin all the excitement. They are party poopers. They are the guys who say well actually it was a mistake, it was a fraud, it was a trick. And of course if you didn't have a strong emotional investment in really really wanting to believe in this stuff you wouldn't mind.

And you have the gall to complain about people being biased, you and maccored are quite the pair :rolleyes:

How so? You really dont like people having a different opinion from your own really, do you ... how very open minded of you.

Unlike you I have actually worked in ..
    Ad hominem again.
    What is ironic is that strong atheists like yourself who rejects tentative data in fields like psi are no different than religious who rejected the concept of evolution because it did not fit their blinkered view of reality.
    It's funny. You call it tentative data (i.e uncertain, without confidence), and yet you claim it's comparable to people rejecting evolution (which has overwhelming evidence). Do you really think that is a valid comparison on any level?
    What does rejection of the "evidence" of psi have to do with atheism? I fail to see the connection. You believe in Psi despite there being a lack of solid evidence, that is your prerogative, but it doesn't mean anyone else has to.

• Advertisement

It's funny. You call it tentative data (i.e uncertain, without confidence), and yet you claim it's comparable to people rejecting evolution (which has overwhelming evidence). Do you really think that is a valid comparison on any level?
    What does rejection of the "evidence" of psi have to do with atheism? I fail to see the connection. You believe in Psi despite there being a lack of solid evidence, that is your prerogative, but it doesn't mean anyone else has to.

I was referring to the initial rejection of evolution by religious, not rejection by modern day creationists. There was no overwhelming data supporting evolution in the early days, my point is it was rejected by many as it did not fit their view of reality and what was "conventional wisdom" at the time.

True science involves openness and not embracing ideology to determine what is good and bad science. I do not consoider psi because ideology, I consider it from looking at the data and whether it has been duplicated. As for atheists and science, as I pointed out to Zombrex on another thread, the "God Helmet" research by Michael Persinger is a classic example. This was jumped on by atheists and claimed as proof that mystical experiences could be duplicated by attaching electrodes to one's skull . The fact that the experiences reported were nothing like mystical experiences and were never duplicated outside Persinger's lab did not deter atheists from claiming it supported their view. That is the difference and if you cannot see it then fair enough.

Evidence for psi such as Ganzfeld studies have been duplicated in many labs worldwide. Dismissing the evidence is largely based on ideology and not based on looking at the data. That is scientism, or anti-science.

jesus christ - this whole obsession by some about esp, mediums and PSI really show how little interest the 'critical thinkers' really have in the paranormal. Nothing worse than armchair critics.

the "God Helmet" research by Michael Persinger is a classic example. This was jumped on by atheists and claimed as proof that mystical experiences could be duplicated by attaching electrodes to one's skull . The fact that the experiences reported were nothing like mystical experiences and were never duplicated outside Persinger's lab did not deter atheists from claiming it supported their view.

I tried to get him to interview about that experiment. He wasnt having any of it. I dont know if thats because the experiment was flawed or if it was because of the furor it caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jesus christ - this whole obsession by some about esp, mediums and PSI really show how little interest the 'critical thinkers' really have in the paranormal. Nothing worse than armchair critics.

Why then is it ok to be an 'armchair' believer? Surely you can't believe in something on faith alone, much the same as you can't dismiss something on lack of faith?

So again, why is it ok to believe in something if you havn't researched it...but its not ok to be cynical about something if you havn't researched it?

Evidence for psi such as Ganzfeld studies have been duplicated in many labs worldwide. Dismissing the evidence is largely based on ideology and not based on looking at the data. That is scientism, or anti-science.
    Again more unfounded claims. http://skepdic.com/ganzfeld.html. You make the a priori assumption that the skeptics dismiss it because of ideology, and don't even bother to check what they actually think. Can you please stop with the straw men.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why then is it ok to be an 'armchair' believer? Surely you can't believe in something on faith alone, much the same as you can't dismiss something on lack of faith?

I dont know any armchair believers though. They dont come on here insisting they are right. Or do I just not see their posts?

So again, why is it ok to believe in something if you havn't researched it...but its not ok to be cynical about something if you havn't researched it?

personally I tar believers and cynics with the same brush, as they are essentially the same thing.

If you arent researching the subject - believer or cynic - then you arent in any position to debate it, as one wouldnt actually know what one was talking about. Research in my book doesnt just mean running around looking for ghosts - it can also involve educating yourself about the subject. In this subforum, I dont see much of that either.

personally I tar believers and cynics with the same brush, as they are essentially the same thing

So people who believe in spirits & ghosts in the main paranormal forum, have completely unfounded & irrational beliefs unless they have actually researched the paranormal?

People who believe in God & devote their lives to Catholicism {or any other God/religion for that matter} are essentially 'armchair' believers?

its their perogitive what they believe in. If any religious zealots where to tell me how wrong I am about things (as happens in this subforum to many), I would have no problem in correcting them. Point is, the 'believers' keep themselves to themselves and dont pretend they know everything. This subforum could learn some lessons from that.

Plus learn how to debate rather than badly attempt to make posters go out of their way to slag people off, by using leading questions. Just like you done there now.
    So people who believe in spirits & ghosts in the main paranormal forum, have completely unfounded & irrational beliefs unless they have actually researched the paranormal?

People who believe in God & devote their lives to Catholicism {or any other God/religion for that matter} are essentially 'armchair' believers?

Another thing you are (very widely) missing is that this subforum is for those who have proof that the paranormal isnt true. Instead what do we get? Talk of ESP, mediums and spirituality. That smells like a fail to me.

• Advertisement

its their perogitive what they believe in. If any religious zealots where to tell me how wrong I am about things (as happens in this subforum to many), I would have no problem in correcting them. Point is, the 'believers' keep themselves to themselves and dont pretend they know everything. This subforum could learn some lessons from that.

So again, people who believe in the paranormal do so because its their own perogitive to do so, regardless of what if any research they've done on the subject? Whilst on the other hand, sceptics, are branded as 'armchair sceptics' for having the very same faith but at the opposite end of the spectrum? Why does the belief in the supernatural give you the perogitive to believe, while skepticism of it means your labeled with a derogatory term? It doesn't sound very rational at all, perhaps you can better explain why you see one groups faith exonerates them over another where research hasn't been done?
    Plus learn how to debate rather than badly attempt to make posters go out of their way to slag people off, by using leading questions. Just like you done there now.

I'm just trying to see if I have your take on the subject right by asking questions which summarise your opinion. Who am I making slag someone off? I'm open to correction, they are not leading questions...if I misunderstood you then correct me :)

Advertisement