Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question-not sure where to post this.

Options
  • 06-03-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Im getting married in 10 weeks time and me and my partner are looking into becoming foster parents or adoption parents and well I know its a lengthy process. My question is how much do they look into your life (I know a huge amount) but if a family member or relative was in trouble with the law at one point in there life would that affect us in wanting to proceed with this??

sorry if this is the wrong place for this just not seen anywhere else I could ask this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Im getting married in 10 weeks time and me and my partner are looking into becoming foster parents or adoption parents and well I know its a lengthy process. My question is how much do they look into your life (I know a huge amount) but if a family member or relative was in trouble with the law at one point in there life would that affect us in wanting to proceed with this??

sorry if this is the wrong place for this just not seen anywhere else I could ask this

I can't comment for fostering but the assessment for Adoption is indeed very in depth and intrusive, indeed I am quite happy it is as the requirement for thoroughness is imperative..

I suppose it depends on the nature of the "trouble".. And how current the problem is... If it was say a traffic offence 10 years ago then it should be OK..
    If your talking personal or violent crime in a direct relative then it may become an issue as potentially the safety of a child is at stake..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

They’re just as thorough with potential Foster parents. My sister and her husband foster, and as well as several interviews/assessments for the two of them, their son, daughter and daughter’s boyfriend (who happened to be staying there for a while) were all interviewed / assessed.
    However I would not imagine a relative being in trouble with the law would be a deal breaker, may depend on the severity of the crime/issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

thank you for the replies. Im not fully sure the person Im talking about was actually charged or how serious it may be. Iv never asked but it was going back 15 or more years ago give or take

Advertisement