Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sliders :D I really enjoyed this show back in the day and was delighted to see it on the listing. Working my way through S1 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

"Head On" (the 2004 one) is excellent.

Basically about a guy who is a bit of a down and out but who's life changes when he meets a Turkish girl. Girl in question is played by Sibel Kekilli who was recently in Game of Thrones.

Well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The King of Kong is excellent - I urge everyone to watch it...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just watched The Lookout - surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Its a decent noir starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as a man recovering from a major brain injury sustained in a car accident. He works as a janitor in a bank and is befriended by a group of bank robbers. Really good performance from Levitt and also Jeff Daniels as his blind flatmate. Pretty good thriller all in all, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just watched The Lookout - surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Its a decent noir starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as a man recovering from a major brain injury sustained in a car accident. He works as a janitor in a bank and is befriended by a group of bank robbers. Really good performance from Levitt and also Jeff Daniels as his blind flatmate. Pretty good thriller all in all, worth a look.

must check that out, I like Levitt and Daniels is one of my favourite "how come hes not a bigger star" actors. check out Paper Man as well if you havent seen it, Daniels, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone, its a quirky comedy about a struggling writer who has an imaginary superhero (Reynolds) pop up throughout the movie for inspiration, very funny in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I was literally going to go on the hunt tomorrow for this in HMV, been dying to see it.

And from today its available on the US netflix!
    :D:D:D:D

there's an absolute ton of standup comedy on the US one, check out Louis CK's shows, Hilarious, and Chewed Up. he's (imo) the best standup comedian in the world right now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    must check that out, I like Levitt and Daniels is one of my favourite "how come hes not a bigger star" actors. check out Paper Man as well if you havent seen it, Daniels, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone, its a quirky comedy about a struggling writer who has an imaginary superhero (Reynolds) pop up throughout the movie for inspiration, very funny in places.

Thats been recommended to me in the Top 10 thingy, must give it a look. Daniels is very underrated, he was great in The Squid and the Whale. Watched Louis C.K.-Chewed Up yesterday. Hilarious stuff altogether, had to turn it off when my mum wandered into the room though :D

• The King of Kong is excellent - I urge everyone to watch it...

The King of Kong is one of those extremely unexpectedly good movies - I mean, it's a movie about grown men who play Donkey Kong essentially, but they are such interesting people that it makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

The Pusher trilogy is on the Canadian library. Most people probably don't have access to a Canadian Vpn (I use Overplay) but thought I'd let people know just in case. I watched the first one on Saturday night. Low budget and the characters are idiots but I still enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched "In the Electric Mist" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910905/

Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman as a cajun cop and mafia guy in Louisiana.

Not a bad film but will primarily be of interest to fans of James Lee Burke, the crime writer.

I'm a fan of the books but wasn't even aware of this film until last night.

Tommy Lee Jones nails the part of cajun cop Dave Robicheaux.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mondays in the Sun (Spanish: Los Lunes al Sol), it's about the degrading effects of unemployment on a group of men left jobless by the closure of the shipyard. Very poignant especially in today's climate. Plenty of black humour too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

(These are all US Netflix)

I see I'm not the first person here to recommend Being Elmo :) absolutely great doc, seriously heartwarming stuff.

If anyone is thinking of watching Dear Zachary, I'd recommend NOT googling it or looking up anything beforehand. It packs a powerful emotional punch.

They've just added Series 2 of Archer. It's a hilarious adult-orientated cartoon, every episode has me in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This documentary is a must watch for ANYONE with Netflix Us, first its hilarious then later, not so much:

"In 1987, Eddie and Mitch moved into a low-rent apartment in San Francisco where, through paper-thin walls, they were informally introduced to their middle-aged alcoholic neighbors, Raymond (a raging homophobe) and Peter (a flamboyant gay man). For 18 months, they hung a microphone from their kitchen window to chronicle the bizarre relationship between their borderline-insane neighbors, accidentally creating one of the world's first "viral" counter-culture sensations on the underground tape market. Revisiting these events through interviews and reenactments with the key players in the phenomenon's development, director Matthew Bate has concocted a darkly comic exploration into the blurred boundaries between art and exploitation"

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

adox wrote: »
    Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

just finished the 5th season of FNL, fantastic show, am a big fan of the original movie and had always been meaning to watch the show but was worried it didnt live up to the film, I was wrong. the second season suffers from the writers strike at the time as its a bit all over the place, especially the
    Landry/Tyra murder storyline, didnt like that at all and Landrys dad just vanishes afterwards
    but it gets better with each season. the ending of season 5 is absolutely brilliant. Tim Riggins is now one of my favorite tv show characters ever.

Poor old tim riggins a tortured soul. Great show
    just finished it.myself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This documentary is a must watch for ANYONE with Netflix Us, first its hilarious then later, not so much:

Looks good, but not to be found on Netflix (US) today - where's it gone?

alastair wrote: »

Looks good, but not to be found on Netflix (US) today - where's it gone?

Just checked its still on there. ( I view US content through ps3 don't know if that makes a difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

there's an absolute ton of standup comedy on the US one, check out Louis CK's shows, Hilarious, and Chewed Up. he's (imo) the best standup comedian in the world right now.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats been recommended to me in the Top 10 thingy, must give it a look. Daniels is very underrated, he was great in The Squid and the Whale. Watched Louis C.K.-Chewed Up yesterday. Hilarious stuff altogether, had to turn it off when my mum wandered into the room though :D

His series Louie which is also on Netflix is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Watched Senna on Netflix (US) last night. I missed out on its release last year.

I'm not interested in F1 at all but it's an incredible film. Really powerful stuff. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

His series Louie which is also on Netflix is also excellent.

Yea I've watched season 1, tis fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just checked its still on there. ( I view US content through ps3 don't know if that makes a difference)

Strange - it's back now - deffo wasn't there for me yesterday (PS3 too)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only sort of a recommendation, as I only thought it was an alright film, but I thought I'd flag it anyway as its quite a recent release, The Lincoln Lawyer is now available on the US site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

anyone having issues with the american version of netflix tonight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No discussion of regional workarounds please. Recommendations only please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Probably already been mentioned but Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey is very good and well worth a watch.
    allanb49 wrote: »
    anyone having issues with the american version of netflix tonight
    Nope, been watching How I Met Your Mother off the US version since late afternoon and no issues with it.

Akira Kurosawa's Ran has been added to US netflix! Will have to give it a look one of the nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Netflix down for me all night on PS3 nd Xbox bloody hell :(

Odd, am in Dublin and have just finished watching Terminator on it

just delete the app and reinstall it, should fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watched The Secret of Kells on US last night. Nice little film that looks gorgeous and explores Irish legend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement