Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Treble20 wrote: »
    Let's hope Counihan bloods new players for this league campaign. I'd be just happy for the team to stay up and discover some new talent rather than going all out for 4 in a row which even if they did manage would hardly be mentioned by the championship mad media!

I would agree,winning a 4th league title is no added benefit to this cork team.
    It was vital in 2008 when Counihan took over to build confidence and to add a belief and a winning mentaility to the team after the bad defeat to Kerry in 2007.
    But this team now is more seasoned and battle hardened with a lot of expierence and dont need another league title at this stage.
    For this team are further down the road,the standards have to be higher,beating Kerry in Killarney this year has to be one Goal.
    Cork have not won since 1995 down there and this team will always have that clouding their success until it is achieved.
    Winning Sam again has to be done otherwise Cork will be remembered as the Golden Generation of their own County that flattered to decieve in the All Ireland.
    I think we certainly have the players and panel but tactics would be biggest concern with the management team,and it seems Cork dont seem to have a game plan to counteract teams that play 12 men behind the ball.
    CC is a great man manager and has been terrific to Cork football but it remains to be seen can he take Cork to the next level.
    Against Tippereary in the Mcgrath Cup Cork were beaten again by a team that decided to play 12 men behind the ball.
    Against Dublin they again struggled against a swarmed defence.
    It was back to the slow lateral handpassing again.
    A lot will depend on what Ronan Mccarthy,Brian Cuthbert and Haulie o Neill can bring to the set up and in terms of tactics.
    Time will tell.

I would hope that the younger guys are kept on for the game against Kildare.
    Cahalane i thought maybe he tried too hard at times but he has the potential.
    The two Clancy's should be kept on in the defence and given game time.
    John O Rourke looked very good,he seems a bit light but has good pace and seems well able to cover the ground.
    If Cork are to beat the likes of Donegal,its players like him will be needed,to be able to track back in defence,and attack with pace.
    The young players will need at least 3 or 4 games before they should be judged.
    I hope there not dropped for next as that wont help Cork.
    Kildare's style of play always suits Corks and at home Cork should win.
    The true test to see have Cork adapted to swarmed defending will be against the likes of Tyrone away in Omagh and Donegal at home in March.

Cork hurlers have a challenge game against Limerick this Saturday in Togher at 6 pm.

Jamie Coughlan is going to miss all of the league for the Cork hurlers due to a hip injury.
    It seems to be nothing but bad news concerning the hurler's at present.
    Its a big loss to Cork.
    He is a player with immense potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Misunderstood

Michael Cussen being called back on to the 2013 Panel for Hurling........

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally think he is not good enough for intercounty Hurling. His height would be an asset if he could catch a ball.
    His size would be helpful if he was physical. But alas, he ccan't catch and is afraid of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Michael Cussen being called back on to the 2013 Panel for Hurling........

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally think he is not good enough for intercounty Hurling. His height would be an asset if he could catch a ball.
    His size would be helpful if he was physical. But alas, he ccan't catch and is afraid of his life.
    he wasn't much cop a few years ago.big step backwards.other counties are opting for pace. up front and we are giving cussen another lash.are things that bad?hopefully i will be proved wrong with him,can't see it happening though!

• Advertisement

mr bungle. wrote: »
    he wasn't much cop a few years ago.big step backwards.other counties are opting for pace. up front and we are giving cussen another lash.are things that bad?hopefully i will be proved wrong with him,can't see it happening though!

Would I be correct in saying he has failed to score in the opening games this year??? Being completely outshone by livelier players like Mannix. Saw him in the game against UCC in the Mardyke. Looked clumsy and slow to react. That said, if he catches a ball (which is rare) he is a bull dozer but struggles to make anything of it. I think JBM is making a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

not sure about him not scoring.fairly shocking if that's the case.the thing is when he wasn't in the panel i didn't hear anyone saying that he should be brought back.imo a big man up front doesn't work,well not too often anyway.wouldn't be too surprised if cork get relegated.

I'll have to check the Cork GAA site but I'm pretty sure he didn't contribute much to the score board. Against UCC, he spent half his time flapping his arms around cause he lost the ball instead of working to get it back. He is 28 now I think....he's not going to get any better. It didn't work when Aisake was on the scene and he was a lot more mobile than Cussen. TBH I saw him play a few games with SARS last season, liked to just stand around and wait for the ball to fall into his lap. He has lost any touch from distance over the bar. That's not going to fly this year, we need more grafters and Stephen Moylan et al are showing all the signs of player that want it and are willing to work for it.

PS. I hear that Cussen kept JBM's offer of a return on ice cause he was convinced Counihan was going to come knocking!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'll have to check the Cork GAA site but I'm pretty sure he didn't contribute much to the score board. Against UCC, he spent half his time flapping his arms around cause he lost the ball instead of working to get it back. He is 28 now I think....he's not going to get any better. It didn't work when Aisake was on the scene and he was a lot more mobile than Cussen. TBH I saw him play a few games with SARS last season, liked to just stand around and wait for the ball to fall into his lap. He has lost any touch from distance over the bar. That's not going to fly this year, we need more grafters and Stephen Moylan et al are showing all the signs of player that want it and are willing to work for it.

PS. I hear that Cussen kept JBM's offer of a return on ice cause he was convinced Counihan was going to come knocking!!!

That I can believe. Conor liked using Murphy in and around the square for periods of matches as an outlet. However, Cussen is not as talented a footballer as Nickie and he isn't next to near good enough for the hurlers.

I would agree totally that Cussen is not Intercounty standard.
    Cork played 5 games so far,2 challenge games and 3 Waterford Crystal Cup games.
    Cussen was not included for the CIT game bit did play against St Thomas,the galway champions.
    He got the world of ball but only scored 2 points.

He got one point against UCC but considering he was up against a rookie in Flynn the kilkenny lad,it was a poor return.
    He missed an easy goal chance.
    Against WIT i dont think he scored anything.
    He won loads of ball but was turned over far too easily.
    He went off injured at half time and did not play friday night against Clare.
    These games are no where near championship intensity, and looked off the required level.
    JBM thought he was excellent against UCC and said in an interview, they are well pleased with him.
    It looks like they will stick with him for the league.
    I would much prefer to see guys like Seamus Harnedy (5 points against Cork for UCC and won a lot of high ball),Peter O Brien,Cian Mccarthy and Fintan O leary be tried out instead of Cussen,in the League as a target man.
    O Leary is injured but impressed against CIT.
    Bill Cooper of Youghal is a big strong hurler and is meant to be recovered from injury,that ruled him out for a year.
    He was in their plans before he got injured.

• Advertisement

Would I be correct in saying he has failed to score in the opening games this year??? Being completely outshone by livelier players like Mannix. Saw him in the game against UCC in the Mardyke. Looked clumsy and slow to react. That said, if he catches a ball (which is rare) he is a bull dozer but struggles to make anything of it. I think JBM is making a massive mistake.
    Yeah mannix looks promising.
    Mannix has scored 4 goals in 2 games,and deserves more game time.
    He only played one half against Clare as him and a few players arrived late due to an oil spill on the road.
    Not ideal prepartion for a game but he still gets 2 goals.
    He deserves games in the league.

Yeah mannix looks promising.
    Mannix has scored 4 goals in 2 games,and deserves more game time.
    He only played one half against Clare as him and a few players arrived late due to an oil spill on the road.
    Not ideal prepartion for a game but he still gets 2 goals.
    He deserves games in the league.

Typical Cussen to go off "injured" when things aren't going his way. He does this quite a bit with sars too! (misses an easy goal and immediately starts grabbing leg or inspecting Hurley for faults.) I had really hoped jbm was smarter than to adopt the "he's big so he must be good" attitude. Cussen has a bad attitude, displays laziness and immaturity and little skill. Give the younger lads a chance! League experience will be invaluable to building them for the future.

Also have it on good authority that Cussen is faking this most recent injury to purposely have himself excluded from the squad to attend a piss up.

I would agree totally that Cussen is not Intercounty standard.
    Cork played 5 games so far,2 challenge games and 3 Waterford Crystal Cup games.
    Cussen was not included for the CIT game bit did play against St Thomas,the galway champions.
    He got the world of ball but only scored 2 points.

He got one point against UCC but considering he was up against a rookie in Flynn the kilkenny lad,it was a poor return.
    He missed an easy goal chance.
    Against WIT i dont think he scored anything.
    He won loads of ball but was turned over far too easily.
    He went off injured at half time and did not play friday night against Clare.
    These games are no where near championship intensity, and looked off the required level.
    JBM thought he was excellent against UCC and said in an interview, they are well pleased with him.
    It looks like they will stick with him for the league.
    I would much prefer to see guys like Seamus Harnedy (5 points against Cork for UCC and won a lot of high ball),Peter O Brien,Cian Mccarthy and Fintan O leary be tried out instead of Cussen,in the League as a target man.
    O Leary is injured but impressed against CIT.
    Bill Cooper of Youghal is a big strong hurler and is meant to be recovered from injury,that ruled him out for a year.
    He was in their plans before he got injured.
    Couldn't agree more on cooper and o'leary by the way

The Cork Senior Football team to play Kildare on Saturday night
    1. Ken O Halloran  Bishopstown
    2. Eoin Cadogan Douglas
    3. Michael Shields St Finbarrs
    4. Jamie O'Sullivan Bishopstown
    5. Paudie Kissane Clyda Rovers
    6. Graham Canty Bantry
    7. Damien Cahalane Castlehaven
    8. Alan O'Connor St Colum's
    9. Aidan Walsh Kanturk
    10. Fintan Goold Macroom
    11. Pearse O'Neill Aghada
    12. Ciarán Sheehan Eire Og
    13. Colm O'Neill Ballyclough
    14. Donncha O'Connor Ballydesmond
    15. Paul Kerrigan Nemo Rangers

Subs
    16. David Lordan Ballincollig
    17. John McLoughlin Kanturk
    18. Eoin O'Mahony Macroom
    19. Noel O'Leary Cill na Martra
    20. Thomas Clancy Clonakilty
    21. Denis O'Sullivan Ballinascarthy
    22. Thomas Clancy Fermoy
    23. Andrew O'Sullivan Castletownbere
    24. John O'Rourke Carbery Rangers
    25.Barry O'Driscoll Nemo Rangers 
    26. Mark Collins Castlehaven

Thats the same team named as last week,but you would expect 3 or 4 changes come throw in.
    Last week there was 4 changes come throw in.
    All of last year Counihan seems to pick a team after training,but it is different to the team that actually takes the field.
    He is the only manager that does it and i can not see any logic in it.
    Fair enough injuries occur etc,but that can not be the reason for every game.

I would expect to see the two Clancys start again and John O' Rourke from the start as this will be their last game as they will be kept for the U21 game against Kerry in March.
    It be most likely Gould would drop to the subs.
    Ciaran Sheehan was the one to loose out last week,but he played well when he came on as a sub and scored a goal for CIT in the Sigerson Cup during the week ,so he deserves to start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fully expected a win tonight but lost 2-10 v 1-09. Very disappointing. 2 to go down in the league....it could happen with away games on the horizon.

At least the hurlers won against limerick in a challenge out in The Barrs 1-22 v 2-15

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I watched it online, poor wasn't the word. I know they do not have a lot of football done, but tactically it was ridiculous! It was so frustrating to watch, slow handpassing buildup the whole time, more often than not handpassing the ball 15 or 20 yards backwards - lot of Cork's scores came when they moved the ball fast, not with the slow ponderous buildup. Then when Cork decided to play the long ball in, it was Colm O Neill against three or four Kildare defenders!!!!

First time in six years Cork have lost two league games on the trot. I was very close to turning the whole thing off after 20 minutes, it was like the Cork players were watching too much rugby and had this thing in their head about playing the ball backwards.

One thing about the level of football, but tactically, leaving one Cork man v four Kildare men, and not telling them to move the ball faster, or put more men in the full forward line was stupid of the management. You need to have the forwards close to goal to score, basic!

I watched it online, poor wasn't the word. I know they do not have a lot of football done, but tactically it was ridiculous! It was so frustrating to watch, slow handpassing buildup the whole time, more often than not handpassing the ball 15 or 20 yards backwards - lot of Cork's scores came when they moved the ball fast, not with the slow ponderous buildup. Then when Cork decided to play the long ball in, it was Colm O Neill against three or four Kildare defenders!!!!

First time in six years Cork have lost two league games on the trot. I was very close to turning the whole thing off after 20 minutes, it was like the Cork players were watching too much rugby and had this thing in their head about playing the ball backwards.

One thing about the level of football, but tactically, leaving one Cork man v four Kildare men, and not telling them to move the ball faster, or put more men in the full forward line was stupid of the management. You need to have the forwards close to goal to score, basic!

Seems to be a recurring theme with Counihan I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Seems to be a recurring theme with Counihan I'm afraid.

100 percent - he is so tactically naiive its not funny at times. It looked as if they had done some video work on the Kildare kickouts, but more often than not Counihan and his management team are beaten tactically. That team has some fantastic players that have been left down by management - will be remembered as a group of players that should have won more than one All Ireland title

I know its early in the league, but it really is not boding well for Cork - as you said it is a recurring theme, no matter what stage of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Very disappointed with the result. Only going on what I heard on the radio, but did Kildare score 2 late goals?
    Also, what did Cahalane get sent off for? And how long into the game was it.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Fully expected a win tonight but lost 2-10 v 1-09. Very disappointing. 2 to go down in the league....it could happen with away games on the horizon.

At least the hurlers won against limerick in a challenge out in The i Barrs 1-22 v 2-15
    I thought the same,we would beat kildare.
    To give Kildare credit they learned from previous defeats to Cork,and they learned Cork can not break down massed defences.
    Fair play to them they fully deserved their victory.
    It is not just the defeat that id be worried about but the fact CC still struggles to beat teams with a blanket defence.
    Tipperary done a number to Cork a few weeks backs with a blanket defence,Dublin last week and the same tonight.
    3 away games to Down,Tyrone and Kerry will be very tough.
    Donegal in March will really test Cork.
    They seem to have no invention or game plan against teams that pack the defence.
    Cork will have to learn to adapt as the days of running through teams with athletic strong footballers are gone.
    We struggled to an All Ireland in 2010,with the power and running game.
    Since then the game has evolved while under CC Cork have not.
    Cork are so predictable now.
    Bringing on Kissane and Pearse O Neill did not add much to Cork.
    They are good fit strong footballers but accurate kick passing and delivering quick ball is not their strengths and never will be.
    Colm O Neill i felt was very good,with the amount of ball he won and he was being double marked at times,but they seemed no plan on how to play off him.
    I would be concerned for Cork as teams know how easily it can be to beat them now.
    Peadar Healy seems to be involved in the training of the team,he has been their since CC,and Cork are still slow and ponderous with the ball.
    I was hoping Cuthbert and Ronan Mccarthy would of brought something new to this team,but nothing has changed yet.

Like i expected Cork named changes to the team before throw in.
    I can not see why CC persists with this naming a team but then changes it at throw in.I see no benfit in it.

Yes Cork had a much needed boost in the hurling.
    It has been a diffcult month for Cork Hurling so even though it is just a challenge match it is a vital win.
    Mannix impressed again,he is really making a mark.
    Pa cronin lined out at centre back.
    He done well but he is our only proven puck out option in the Forwards so i would be suprised if he started their in the league.
    Peter O Brien won a lot of ball and should see some game time in the league.
    Daniel Kearney scored the Goal.
    Michael Walsh played at midfield,a good tough hurler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mannix was good enough to be on the panel for a good few years. He is showing that now

deisedude wrote: »
    Mannix was good enough to be on the panel for a good few years. He is showing that now
    yeah he was on the panel under Gerald Mccarthy and was among the players called up when the Strike was on.
    He impressed in games against Galway and Dublin on a much weakened side but henever seemed to be given extended game time after that.

He was a superb minor and played Centre back on the minor team that won Munster in 2006 alongside Paudie O Sullivan who played wing back.He is well able to read the game.
    He is very tough and strong on the ball,and can win dirty ball which is much needed in the Cork attack.

Very disappointed with the result. Only going on what I heard on the radio, but did Kildare score 2 late goals?
    Also, what did Cahalane get sent off for? And how long into the game was it.
    One goal was around the hour mark and the last goal was with a few minutes left.
    Cahalane stood on the kildare player,it was a red card.He was sent off early in the second half.
    Cahalane has the talent ,he just needs to calm down,but at least he is young enough to work on he's discipline.
    Last week he was seemed over eager ,like he was trying to win the match on he's own.
    He will get better with more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ye know what was the most disappointing thing for me after being down the pairc tonight? We were massively outnumbered in support by Kildare. Jesus Christ like, its five minutes from town and 13 quid in to see our footballers and a good solid team like Kildare (with, ill give them the credit they deserve, very good craic and sporting supporters). We want our footballers to do well? The players and managers have their part to play but so do the supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ye know what was the most disappointing thing for me after being down the pairc tonight? We were massively outnumbered in support by Kildare. Jesus Christ like, its five minutes from town and 13 quid in to see our footballers and a good solid team like Kildare (with, ill give them the credit they deserve, very good craic and sporting supporters). We want our footballers to do well? The players and managers have their part to play but so do the supporters.

There were so many factors that possibly led to bad attendance tonight.
    Cork City FC had a friendly earlier in the day
    Munster playing in Musgrave at 7.45
    The hurlers playing in the barrs at 6
    France-Wales on TV
    The miserable weather
    People only go out one night a week these days and usually they save it for the saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

shezer wrote: »

There were so many factors that possibly led to bad attendance tonight.
    Cork City FC had a friendly earlier in the day
    Munster playing in Musgrave at 7.45
    The hurlers playing in the barrs at 6
    France-Wales on TV
    The miserable weather
    People only go out one night a week these days and usually they save it for the saturday night.

Yeah I hear what you're saying shezer. All the same, its good to have the options. I'm just ranting after watching a poor display and having to do so being in a minority support at a home game.

Fairly dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah I hear what you're saying shezer. All the same, its good to have the options. I'm just ranting after watching a poor display and having to do so being in a minority support at a home game.

Fairly dissapointing.

I know dude.I remember supporting the footballers a few years back when they were in the making.I could see the potential and I always wondered why the GCSP could'nt. Then every tom dick and harry had tickets for the final against Down when we won it. The footballers don't get the support they deserve. The attendance took a hit with Setantas coverage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eoghan_85

I go to most Cork football games as well as hurling. Cork football has always struggled to attract the same amount of numbers as the hurlers do. I think there are a few reasons for this:
    1. Hurling has traditionally been stronger in the city and most supporters are from the city
    2. Being a dual county, people generally are forced to pick between codes and choose the game that will produce a better spectacle
    3. And this is the main reason, Cork footballers consistently let you down. This is not just a reflection on the current team but something that has been the case for the last 100 years. Cork footballers have thrown away more all-Irelands than any other county in Ireland while the hurlers have snook in and taken all-Irelands they had no right to win! Just look at the number of finals lost by Cork football and the number of Munster finals won by the team which implicitly implies the number of lost semi finals or finals. Cork footballers will never capture the hearts of the people of Cork because of their subconscious belief that they could win an All-Ireland rather than (in the case of Kerry football, Kilkenny hurling) they should be constantly winning All-Irelands. I thought that the current group of players there would definitely win 3 or 4. I now cannot see them winning another one as much as it disappoints me. To be honest, if I was to bet on it, I would put money on Cork hurlers to win an AI before the footballers.

eoghan_85 wrote: »
    I go to most Cork football games as well as hurling. Cork football has always struggled to attract the same amount of numbers as the hurlers do. I think there are a few reasons for this:
    1. Hurling has traditionally been stronger in the city and most supporters are from the city
    2. Being a dual county, people generally are forced to pick between codes and choose the game that will produce a better spectacle
    3. And this is the main reason, Cork footballers consistently let you down. This is not just a reflection on the current team but something that has been the case for the last 100 years. Cork footballers have thrown away more all-Irelands than any other county in Ireland while the hurlers have snook in and taken all-Irelands they had no right to win! Just look at the number of finals lost by Cork football and the number of Munster finals won by the team which implicitly implies the number of lost semi finals or finals. Cork footballers will never capture the hearts of the people of Cork because of their subconscious belief that they could win an All-Ireland rather than (in the case of Kerry football, Kilkenny hurling) they should be constantly winning All-Irelands. I thought that the current group of players there would definitely win 3 or 4. I now cannot see them winning another one as much as it disappoints me. To be honest, if I was to bet on it, I would put money on Cork hurlers to win an AI before the footballers.

We're proper fúcked so:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

went to see it saturday night and thought the sending off had a big bearing(correct decision even though it was harmless enough).mind you a bad decision led to the first kildare goal.the loss in its self is not worrying but didnt see any new player shining which is what the league is about this year but lets wait and see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement