Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteor & Android

• 08-07-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any sign of Meteor sorting out the issues they have with Android - I.E. The "No Service" problem. As far as I'm aware it'd something with switching from 3G to 2G and basically rendering the phone useless.

I'm two weeks away from the end of my O2 contract and with the deals Meteor are offering, I'm thinking of jumping ship (but not if the network is fecked).

Cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've not heard anything concrete regarding a solution - just the general 'we are looking into it' marketing reply.

I will say I haven't suffered from this issue since about 2 weeks after I got the phone. It was very bad for me, but since I disabled the pin request for the phone, I do not note this issue and no one has had problems contacting me. I installed WaveSecure on the phone, so if it does get nicked I can easily disable the phone (and it automatically disables the phone if the sim is removed and replaced with a different sim) so I see no reason to have the pin request active on the phone from a security point of view, so this work around has sorted the issue for me and not given me any new problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I havent had that problem in a long time. Not sure if its because I installed villainrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Me either. I haven't found this a problem at all, and it put me off getting a Hero when they came out.
    I've had drops a handful of times on my Desire, but I live out in the sticks, and I usually get 3G coverage for about an hour after a drop, so I'm fairly sure it's Meteor testing new antennas, 'cos normally it's EDGE only out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not had the problem with either the Legend or Desire. No issues reported to me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I can't access Photobucket, apart from that I have no problems with Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Never once had this problem and it's been three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had my phone about 3 weeks and haven't had a problem yet. The reception just inside my house (mainly in the spot centred around my couch) is awful. The service often comes and goes (as it's done with my last few phones). I don't have to manually get the network back, just comes back itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

kc66 wrote: »
    I havent had that problem in a long time. Not sure if its because I installed villainrom.
    same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

plenty of problems still around just check their forums. couple of lads I know having awful problem which put me off switching to their admittedly generous plans - all for naught though when they don't work.

problem admitted. http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=653

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=943

23rd of November - Day 0
    Months without issue being fixed - 8
    Days customers have been paying for a service they arent getting - 213

Err, who cares about what their forum says? Not one user here has had this problem and those that used to have the problem now don't have the problem anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

Err, who cares about what their forum says? Not one user here has had this problem and those that used to have the problem now don't have the problem anymore.

I still have this problem.

Much less now that I'm on VillainRom but everyday I wake up and my phone will have no signal, and it it will usually happen around once more each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've had my meteor desire for about 3 weeks now, no issues so far with coverage.

I'm in Dublin 3. Will post here if I do experience any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cheers for the update lads. I work in D3 but live in D12 so they are the most important locations for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

What a ridiculous thing to say, how does that help anyone :confused:

My desire dropped out three times yesterday (twice in city centre, once in Santry), admittedly this is the first time in a couple of weeks but the issue is still there.

From my experience it is a little annoying but not enough for you not to consider Meteor. If it was once a day every day then I wouldn't go near Meteor but for me it is intermittent so I can live with it. It is clear though that this is a Meteor problem, no other Irish provider has this issue (including 3).

RDMH wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say, how does that help anyone :confused:

My desire dropped out three times yesterday (twice in city centre, once in Santry), admittedly this is the first time in a couple of weeks but the issue is still there.

From my experience it is a little annoying but not enough for you not to consider Meteor. If it was once a day every day then I wouldn't go near Meteor but for me it is intermittent so I can live with it. It is clear though that this is a Meteor problem, no other Irish provider has this issue (including 3).
    Mine drops out from time to time as well particularly in indoor areas but that isn't the same problem that people who had HTC Heros had. The issue they had was that when the phone switched over from 3G to EDGE it dropped GSM connectivity altogether and needed to be restarted in order to get back a signal. Obviously that would cripple any phone and make it nigh on useless. What you and I are seeing is the signal just dropping as it does with any other phone, the difference is that the phone now regains the signal without needing to be rebooted.

The 2G/3G switchover bug is the one that hasn't been reported of for a long time, signal dropouts aren't the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Mine drops out from time to time as well particularly in indoor areas but that isn't the same problem that people who had HTC Heros had. The issue they had was that when the phone switched over from 3G to EDGE it dropped GSM connectivity altogether and needed to be restarted in order to get back a signal. Obviously that would cripple any phone and make it nigh on useless. What you and I are seeing is the signal just dropping as it does with any other phone, the difference is that the phone now regains the signal without needing to be rebooted.

The 2G/3G switchover bug is the one that hasn't been reported of for a long time, signal dropouts aren't the same thing.

No, mine needs to be rebooted (switch to Airplane mode and back again).

I've said for a while now that I think the problem is due to Meteor piggy-backing on the Vodafone network when it drops out of Meteor own range. I know Meteor have updated their own network firmware which seems to have helped but it hasn't solved the problem fully.

Still it isn't as bad as the Hero which seemed to be a complete nightmare.

RDMH wrote: »
    No, mine needs to be rebooted (switch to Airplane mode and back again).

I've said for a while now that I think the problem is due to Meteor piggy-backing on the Vodafone network when it drops out of Meteor own range. I know Meteor have updated their own network firmware which seems to have helped but it hasn't solved the problem fully.

Still it isn't as bad as the Hero which seemed to be a complete nightmare.
    Never had that issue in Dublin to be honest. I'd say it happens only in areas with fringe reception where you need to changeover to Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

SachaJ wrote: »
    Cheers for the update lads. I work in D3 but live in D12 so they are the most important locations for me.

i'm in D12, i've not seen the old "no service" issue since the first couple of weeks i got the hero back in Sept 09. on top of that the only place i ever experienced the issue was in the back of the Elenora pub. . .not there an awful lot so i really couldn't say if it's the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Never had that issue in Dublin to be honest. I'd say it happens only in areas with fringe reception where you need to changeover to Vodafone.

like in Dublin city center then. That is where I have witnessed it happening countless times. It varies in frequency, yes one of my friends has gone a couple of months with no problem but now its back with a vengeance! Meteor are yet to sort this problem and have admitted as much.

The problem still exists. It's not isolated to hero's but to all android devices. fact. I will re-iterate it is a pity since meteor do offer the best plans.

00sully wrote: »
    like in Dublin city center then. That is where I have witnessed it happening countless times. It varies in frequency, yes one of my friends has gone a couple of months with no problem but now its back with a vengeance! Meteor are yet to sort this problem and have admitted as much.

The problem still exists. It's not isolated to hero's but to all android devices. fact. I will re-iterate it is a pity since meteor do offer the best plans.
    Well i've never had that issue even in Dublin City Centre so I can't comment on that but are you sure it's the 2G/3G handover bug and not just signal dropouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've noticed a problem with three and moving in and out of 3g. When you come back into 3g coverage and you've been using data coverage such as with maps, you cannot get past threes own site until you use airplane mode to switch off and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Much misinformation in thread. I am a mobile engineer, here are some facts.

Meteor issue affects all 3g devices, has happened to me on G1, Milestone, Desire, and Palm Pre. Not specific to HTC or Android. Issue happens when you use data heavily, I can replicate this very quickly by tethering Desire. Connection will drop after less than an hour of normal browsing. This is NOT moving around, with full 5 bars of signal strength.

3 is only slightly better, they have an issue where their data connection drops, but the device still says it's connected. Thus your Desire/whatever will sit there showing as connected, but not actually being able to send/receive. This is for data only, normal phonecalls still work.

O2 are terrible network, they port block so many things, including Android market as of last week.

Vodafone have lousy data plans. Not much alternative.

At the moment Meteor offer the best value for smartphones (10gb plan), this disconnect issue is wrecking my head tho. It seems to have improved a lot lately, if I don't tether it only very rarely happens, but I find myself checking the phone every few minutes to make sure it hasn't lost connection in case I miss calls.

Note it's nothing to do with ROMs or software version, happens on all. It is ONLY to do with Meteor's ****ty network. Airplane toggle fixes issue for both meteor and 3 above. Info about 3s problem is from march, I switched to Meteor because of it (lol I know...).

Void wrote: »
    Meteor issue affects all 3g devices.....3 is only slightly better.....O2 are terrible network, they port block so many things, including Android market......Vodafone have lousy data plans

Jaysus...... from that it sounds like I'm fecked no matter which one I go with....

I had planned to go with Meteor Connect for €25 a month plus the €15 10Gb add-on but it seems they have clamped down on that now if you buy the Desire. The other option is the Smart plan for €35 a month but I don't think 1Gb of data is enough.

O2 with the port blocking above has ruled them out. 3's plans just look brutal to me - not interested in those flexi-units as they only last for 4 months. Maybe the relax 150 plus the €20 10Gb add-on but they still have no sign on the Desire. But their roaming is essentially free in the UK. No EDGE either.

Voda are just a bit pricey.

Ye Ireland is 3rd world country for mobile infrastructure. In UK you can get free internet with PAYG.

Buy your Desire simfree so you aren't tied into network. 3 are the best bet I would say, nothing wrong with their flexiunits. I'm on meteor, e10/month + e15 for 10gb. Their network has problems tho, affects some people more than others.

The networks are changing their plans a lot, a few months ago 3 was cheapest for data. Just don't get tied in whatever you do :) You will save nothing in longrun by getting phone on contract really.

1GB of data is loads unless you use streaming music/tethering/torrents a lot. Be warned Meteor will absolutely screw you if you go over limit, I got a 19 grand bill. They said they would cap it at e50.....

Ye Ireland is 3rd world country for mobile infrastructure. In UK you can get free internet with PAYG.

Buy your Desire simfree so you aren't tied into network. 3 are the best bet I would say, nothing wrong with their flexiunits. I'm on meteor, e10/month + e15 for 10gb. Their network has problems tho, affects some people more than others.

The networks are changing their plans a lot, a few months ago 3 was cheapest for data. Just don't get tied in whatever you do :) You will save nothing in longrun by getting phone on contract really.

1GB of data is loads unless you use streaming music/tethering/torrents a lot. Be warned Meteor will absolutely screw you if you go over limit, I got a 19 grand bill. They said they would cap it at e50.....

I think by law they have to cap it at €50 these days.

Where's the cheapest price SIM free? The best I could find was clove.co.uk (minus the VAT).

The e50 cap is for ROAMING only (new eu directive). Does not apply to extortionate domestic rates. And yes I bought mine off clove.co.uk, I put in Irish VAT number and UK vat was waived.

Meteor do have a cap tho, might be e65.50 am not sure, will be ringing them on monday.

The e50 cap is for ROAMING only (new eu directive). Does not apply to extortionate domestic rates. And yes I bought mine off clove.co.uk, I put in Irish VAT number and UK vat was waived.

Meteor do have a cap tho, might be e65.50 am not sure, will be ringing them on monday.

Christ.... just had a look at the rates outside the data bundles.

Meteor - €20 per Mb
    Vodafone - €5 per Mb
    O2 - €0.02 per Mb

Some difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

SachaJ wrote: »
    Christ.... just had a look at the rates outside the data bundles.

Meteor - €20 per Mb
    Vodafone - €5 per Mb
    O2 - €0.02 per Mb

Some difference!

Meteor is €0.01 per kb or €10.24 per MB.

neonman wrote: »
    Meteor is €0.01 per kb or €10.24 per MB.

Not according to this page

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/connect/#add_ons-tab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have the N1 and at least once a day it will have Emergency Calls only and have to reboot the phone. Sounds simular to what is happening with some guys here.

Advertisement