Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

looking for info on a nelly dargan.

• 23-04-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

known as Ellen, but my mams birth cert and insurance doc says her name was Eileen.
    from what i know she came from Kilkenny, i have been looking for info on her for years, its like a mission at this stage lol.
    all I know of my gran is that she was born in Kilkenny, married a John Phillips and lived in Georges place and then moved to Gardiner St.

she had a sister called lizzy who was older than her.

it would be great to find some info on her as i am doing a family tree for my son and all her section of the family are blank

its an unusual name...so hopefully i will find info on her soon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you have any dates? Death, marriage, etc?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when was she born?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You need to order her marriage cert to most likely find her parents names. There's a sticky that'l help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

based on possible Dublin North births, I'd say a marriage before 1930 .. maybe this one from the BMD Index :

Name: John Phillips
    Quarter/Year : Oct-Dec 1926
    Registration district: Dublin North
    Volume: 2 / Page Number: 205

Possible brides include : Philomena Moore, Mary Dargan, Sarah Newman and Mary Anne Grattan and Mary Darvan.

Since there are five possibles, it looks like Mary Dargan has also been indexed under Darvan. A research cert from the GRO should help with your search as it should include names and occupations of their fathers. Maybe Ellen was her middle name ?

1939 Voters registers include a John and Mary Phillips at 30 Gardiner St. with nearly 20 others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

she was born on the 10/12/1905...i think that's the year going by when she died and what age she was then.

she died in august 1978
    she married John Phillips and had five kids, one of whom was my mam.
    i have tried to get her birth cert, but because i didn't know the her parents names, they were only guessing it would be the right person.
    funny that thing about them living in 30 Gardiner St. I remember my mam saying that they lived on the far side of the road when they first moved down to Gardiner St. then they moved beside Sean Kenny shop...i think that was 103c lower Gardiner st.
    shanew where did you find that info?
    all the places i have checked all want me to sign up for a year for €199 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Shadowgirl, if you get her marriage cert you'll get her fathers name which will help finding her birth cert....

Dargan was also a spelling for the surname Dorgan, which has a lot of connections to cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

There are 37 possible Mary Dargan/Dorgans born in Ireland between 1900 and 1911 https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AMary~%20%2Bsurname%3ADargan~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1900-1911~&collection_id=1408347&birth_year0=1900&birth_place0=8

Once you get the marriage cert you'll have her fathers name which will make it easier to narrow down one of those births as hers...

This website is free and these are the irish records they have https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

shadowgirl wrote: »
    she was born on the 10/12/1905...i think
    ....she married John Phillips and had five kids, one of whom was my mam...funny that thing about them living in 30 Gardiner ....shanew where did you find that info?

the 1939 Voters register is available on the Dublin City Library (Pearse St.) website - see : Dublin City Electoral Lists - 1939

Based on the dates and location, plus the fact that neither surname is that common, I'd say that marriage is probably them, so next step would be a marriage cert for John and Mary/Ellen from the GRO. Her father's name and occupation should help locate them on the 1911 census, which should give a more details.. e.g. a detailed location, possibly siblings including 'Lizzy' , mother's first name

Does the date of that possible marriage fit with the dates of birth etc you have for the Dublin family ?

[QUOTE=shadowgirl;90067895
    all the places i have checked all want me to sign up for a year for €199 etc[/QUOTE]

There are no sites that will give you access to Irish birth/marriage/death certs. All of these you'll have to either research yourself in Dublin or order from the GRO (about 4e a pop I think?). The index site that dido2 linked to is all you need at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

all the places i have checked all want me to sign up for a year for €199 etc

I think both Ancestry and Find My Past offer a free two week trial and once that's up you can subscribe for a month at a time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

she was born on the 10/12/1905...i think that's the year going by when she died and what age she was then.

So we'd expect to find her in the 1911 census.

The only name/age match is an Ellen from Dublin born in 1901 who also happens to have an older sister Elizabeth.

There's only one Ellen in Kilkenny but is missing the older sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

PM sent to OP

Advertisement