Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Ireland

• 16-01-2014 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm currently in the process of moving from the US to Ireland. I'm looking into the Tipperary area as well as some others and am wondering if its nearly as impossible for an American to get a job in Ireland as everything I've read so far has said it is. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 parkhursttree

why? Just asking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

what type of work do you do

tipp is mostly farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Heathererer

why? Just asking

Simplest explanation: Because I want to.

what type of work do you do

tipp is mostly farming

Well, I definitely don't work in farming... But that is good to know. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I live in Tipperary, what do you do for work?

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    I live in Tipperary, what do you do for work?

I was a pharmacy technician for 7 years before leaving that to run an independent book store. I'm willing to try anything though. Always up for a new adventure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I was a pharmacy technician for 7 years before leaving that to run an independent book store. I'm willing to try anything though. Always up for a new adventure.

Fairly sure you won't get work in a Pharmacy here because of the differences between the states and here but maybe you have an advantage with that getting into the many Pharmaceutical factories in the county. You'll be lucky to pick up anything else in Tipperary. Clonmel would be your best bet, Cashel second. Places like Tipperary Town and Thurles are pretty bleak work wise right now and I couldn't tell you whats happening in Nenagh.

A lot of people are leaving the country at the minute because of the lack of jobs. I wish you well on your adventure.

FearDark wrote: »
    Fairly sure you won't get work in a Pharmacy here because of the differences between the states and here but maybe you have an advantage with that getting into the many Pharmaceutical factories in the county. You'll be lucky to pick up anything else in Tipperary. Clonmel would be your best bet, Cashel second. Places like Tipperary Town and Thurles are pretty bleak work wise right now and I couldn't tell you whats happening in Nenagh.

A lot of people are leaving the country at the minute because of the lack of jobs. I wish you well on your adventure.

I know things are pretty bleak and it isn't going to be easy. Still isn't going to stop me from going. Thanks for the help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

If this is pharmacy as in the local pharmacy then I'm sure that you should be able to pick up work in some area of Tipp. Clonmel is the largest town and has a big enough number of pharmacies.
    If you mean pharmacy as in pharma industry then there are always jobs popping up in this industry. There are a few pharma industries around Clonmel, Waterford and a bigger number in the Cork area. In fairness if you are willing to turn your hand to any job and are not choosy in the short term I'm sure you will pick up work after a bit...its difficult but not impossible if you have the right skill set.

solerina wrote: »
    If this is pharmacy as in the local pharmacy then I'm sure that you should be able to pick up work in some area of Tipp. Clonmel is the largest town and has a big enough number of pharmacies.
    If you mean pharmacy as in pharma industry then there are always jobs popping up in this industry. There are a few pharma industries around Clonmel, Waterford and a bigger number in the Cork area. In fairness if you are willing to turn your hand to any job and are not choosy in the short term I'm sure you will pick up work after a bit...its difficult but not impossible if you have the right skill set.

Thank you! I did mean with a local pharmacy and I'll keep those areas in mind when looking for work. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Pharmacy jobs regularly advertised in the local papers. Clonmel certainly has several large pharmacies in the town suck as boots and 3 Sam McCauley outlets. As someone pointed out farming and rural way of life dominates in the county but this is the same for most of the rest of the country. Only Dublin and Cork at a stretch could be considered proper cities.

Tipp is a beautiful county well served by the motorway network and Dublin is only 2 hours away by car. The main line rail also runs through the county and like most counties has its share of natural beauty. What it has in common with the rezt of the country is a crap climate and the usual problems that a recession brings. Oh and Tipp is the home of hurling!

The best of luck

Pharmacy jobs regularly advertised in the local papers. Clonmel certainly has several large pharmacies in the town suck as boots and 3 Sam McCauley outlets. As someone pointed out farming and rural way of life dominates in the county but this is the same for most of the rest of the country. Only Dublin and Cork at a stretch could be considered proper cities.

Tipp is a beautiful county well served by the motorway network and Dublin is only 2 hours away by car. The main line rail also runs through the county and like most counties has its share of natural beauty. What it has in common with the rezt of the country is a crap climate and the usual problems that a recession brings. Oh and Tipp is the home of hurling!

The best of luck

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I know things are pretty bleak and it isn't going to be easy. Still isn't going to stop me from going. Thanks for the help! :)
    So why ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DowDow

id say dont bother, everyones jumpin ship, go somewhere decent

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

I'm a American and been on the east coast for nearly ten years, I have not run into any hiring problems due to being an American so I wouldn't worry about that, just have to get used to being called a "Yank". Try this link to see what kind of jobs are going in Tipperary. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Find-a-Job.aspx

nungesser wrote: »
    I'm a American and been on the east coast for nearly ten years, I have not run into any hiring problems due to being an American so I wouldn't worry about that, just have to get used to being called a "Yank". Try this link to see what kind of jobs are going in Tipperary. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Find-a-Job.aspx

I'm so glad to hear it can be done! I was really starting to worry from what others were telling me, but I hadn't yet heard from anyone who had actually made the move from America. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a American and been on the east coast for nearly ten years . . .

Where in America are you from if you don't mind me asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

Nungesser - does this mean you came to Ireland and got a job without Irish citizenship or other sponsorship? I am Irish American living and working here for a long time and haven't once heard of an American (withoout Irish citizenship, sponsorship, etc.) moving to Ireland and getting a job. I didn't think it was possible.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

i'm originally from California, grew up in San Diego and spent most of my life in Oakland.
    I have Citizenship my mom is Irish. I think immigration can be a little tough by not being a citizen, you have no guaranty of residency and have to go through the immigration process every year (or two?) to remain in the country. I think "Heathererer" was maybe concerned with people not hiring because they were biased against Americans. Theres lots of people from all over the world working in Ireland without sponsorship or citizenship. Long as you jump through all the immigration hoops and apply for a working visa. The main thing when you get here is they want to know you have enough money to support yourself and need to prove that is the case. Best to get that part started via the Irish Embassy on your side of the pond "Heathererer" best of luck, and go for it!

i'm originally from California, grew up in San Diego and spent most of my life in Oakland.
    I have Citizenship my mom is Irish. I think immigration can be a little tough by not being a citizen, you have no guaranty of residency and have to go through the immigration process every year (or two?) to remain in the country. I think "Heathererer" was maybe concerned with people not hiring because they were biased against Americans. Theres lots of people from all over the world working in Ireland without sponsorship or citizenship. Long as you jump through all the immigration hoops and apply for a working visa. The main thing when you get here is they want to know you have enough money to support yourself and need to prove that is the case. Best to get that part started via the Irish Embassy on your side of the pond "Heathererer" best of luck, and go for it!

Already working on it! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I was a pharmacy technician for 7 years

290619.jpg
    Waterford Today, 22/01/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9 parkhursttree

Good for you, hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Tipp is great moved from dublin a few years ago. you ll love it!

beazee wrote: »
    290619.jpg
    Waterford Today, 22/01/2014

Awesome! Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Curious as to why an American would like to move to Ireland in the current climate? (Not looking for a "Ireland is a hole, stay in America!!" type response.
    A lot of Irish would love to live in America for the opportunites, climate and lifestyle. I suppose I'm only looking at it one way.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Curious as to why an American would like to move to Ireland in the current climate? (Not looking for a "Ireland is a hole, stay in America!!" type response.
    A lot of Irish would love to live in America for the opportunites, climate and lifestyle. I suppose I'm only looking at it one way.

I do love where I live. America is a great country and New Jersey is a nice place to have grown up in but, I've never known anything else and I'm ready to experience new things. Why Ireland? Because I've been there before and I loved every minute of it. I know the climate isn't so great and the economy isn't doing well, but (and maybe I'm crazy) ever since I left there to come home I've wanted to go back. Finally I decided I was going to. I could sit here and give you a million reasons why, why, why, but in the end it all comes back to the same thing: because I want to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohaFiMcGoo

So after reading through an entire thread, do I get an update!?! Like, have you moved? Were you able to get work without citizenship? Is the visa process difficult?

Just curious :)

I'm an American as well (with Irish citizenship as my parents are both from Ireland) currently in the country and trying to decide if I'll stay or go as I have work options both here and at home.

If you haven't moved yet, I'd only tell you to consider more than just Tipperary!

So after reading through an entire thread, do I get an update!?! Like, have you moved? Were you able to get work without citizenship? Is the visa process difficult?

Just curious :)

I'm an American as well (with Irish citizenship as my parents are both from Ireland) currently in the country and trying to decide if I'll stay or go as I have work options both here and at home.

If you haven't moved yet, I'd only tell you to consider more than just Tipperary!

Hahaha. Sorry you had to go through all that with no reward in the end!

I haven't moved yet, and won't be for a couple years at least. I don't want to move to a new country without the funds to support myself for a good long while especially since its difficult to find work. I also want to be confident in which part of the country I go to and a little more aware of what to do in regards to visas and all that. So yea, I'm still in America.

What other parts of the Ireland do you suggest? And if you dont mind me asking, where in America were you considering moving to?

• Advertisement
Advertisement