Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paleolicthic Ireland ? what you aren't told in school

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

markesmith wrote: »
    Again, what does this have to do with Palaeolithic Ireland? Couldn't one literally walk from Brittany to the south of Ireland?

These are fascinating posts, DV, but I fail to see the relevance...
    There is no problem with the direction of the current discussion.
    It is intriguing and highly informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dublinviking

hi wibbs.
    So if a modern reused say a Neandertal scraper it would be very easy to see.

What if they broke it in bits and made arrow heads? You are presuming the use would be the same or similar. Scrapers or any other flake tools are ideal for making arrow and spear tips or microliths:
    A microlith is a small stone tool usually made of flint or chert and typically a centimetre or so in length and half a centimetre wide. It is produced from either a small blade (microblade) or a larger blade-like piece of flint by abrupt or truncated retouching, which leaves a very typical piece of waste, called a microburin. The microliths themselves are sufficiently worked so as to be distinguishable from workshop waste or accidents.
    Two families of microliths are usually defined: laminar and geometric. An assemblage of microliths can be used to date an archeological site. Laminar microliths are associated with the end of the Upper Paleolithic and the beginning of the Epipaleolithic era; geometric microliths are characteristic of the Mesolithic and the Neolithic. Geometric microliths may be triangular, trapezoid or lunate. Microlith production generally declined following the introduction of agriculture (8000 BCE) but continued later in cultures with a deeply rooted hunting tradition.
    Regardless of type, microliths were used to form the points of hunting weapons, such as spears and (in later periods) arrows, and other artifacts and are found throughout Africa, Asia and Europe. They were utilised with wood, bone, resin and fiber to form a composite tool or weapon, and traces of wood to which microliths were attached have been found in Sweden, Denmark and England. An average of between six and eighteen microliths may often have been used in one spear or harpoon, but only one or two in an arrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microlith
    Erectus was around for about the most amount of time of any hominid, but even within that time there was evolution. The fact that they evolved into Neandertals and Denisovans and Sapiens in different environments show this.

Agreed no problem there.
    Nope. That's not how human evolution worked. One million years ago we had erectus, a separate species to modern humans and very different in habit and morphology. They were not the same species.

I would not agree with this. Erectus is not a separate species from modern humans, it is ancestor of modern humans as you said yourself. This is very different. I don't understand how you can say two completely opposite things in two consecutive sentences. A reflex from old paleontology i guess, still taught in schools, which invented all these different human species based on scull shape. And which we now know was just that, an invention.
    If you met an Erectus you'd be looking into the eyes of someone on the way to becoming human, but there would be much of the "animal" behind those eyes.

Can you please point me to data that led you believe that the above is true?
    For your theory to work, erectus would have to evolve into a different species, modern human in a tiny area, while all the other erectus' around the world also evolved locally into moderns, while somehow keeping constant genetic contact so we're all(very) related today.

No this is not true actually. For my theory to work, Erectus (or i would prefer to call it human if you don't mind), would have to start spreading earlier then "out of Africa" story would want us to believe. This is what you find on Wikipedia, and what most people, including archaeologists, believe to be true:
    In paleoanthropology, the recent African origin of modern humans, frequently dubbed the "Out of Africa" theory, is the most widely accepted model describing the geographic origin and early migration of anatomically modern humans.[1] The theory is called the (Recent) Out-of-Africa model in the popular press, and academically the recent single-origin hypothesis (RSOH), Replacement Hypothesis, and Recent African Origin (RAO) model. The concept was speculative until the 1980s, when it was corroborated by a study of present-day mitochondrial DNA, combined with evidence based on physical anthropology of archaic specimens.
    Genetic studies and fossil evidence show that archaic Homo sapiens evolved to anatomically modern humans solely in Africa, between 200,000 and 150,000 years ago,[2] that members of one branch of Homo sapiens left Africa by between 125,000 and 60,000 years ago, and that over time these humans replaced earlier human populations such as Neanderthals and Homo erectus.[3] The date of the earliest successful "out of Africa" migration (earliest migrants with living descendants) has generally been placed at 60,000 years ago as suggested by genetics, although migration out of the continent may have taken place as early as 125,000 years ago according to Arabian archaeology finds of tools in the region.[4] A 2013 paper reported that a previously unknown lineage had been found, which pushed the estimated date for the most recent common ancestor (Y-MRCA) back to 338,000 years ago.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

Based on this "out of Africa" date, humans only reached Andaman some time after 70,000 bc:

800px-Spreading_homo_sapiens.svg.png

They could not have reached Andaman earlier, because humans only evolved 200,000 and 150,000 years ago based on genetic data they say. They should really update Wikipedia and school books more often.

I don't know if you have read my paleo wandering on Vinca thread? Start from here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87133994&postcount=205

I don't want to repeat things here i said there about out of Africa expansion. But i want to add one thing here that i forgot to say there. The date of our common ancestor has been moved further back in time by a discovery of a african american guy who had a completely unrelated Y chromosome to anyone else.
    But even these studies are missing pertinent data, says Michael Hammer of the University of Arizona in Tucson. In March, Hammer and colleagues reported in the American Journal of Human Genetics the discovery of a rare Y chromosome in an African-American and other Y chromosomes from the same lineage in 11 men in western Cameroon. Hammer’s team traced the most recent common ancestor of the Y chromosome back 338,000 years.

In this scenario, the Y chromosome ancestor is much older than the mitochondrial DNA ancestor — and even predates the earliest known fossils of Homo sapiens by more than 100,000 years. The great antiquity may imply that H. sapiens is older than the fossil evidence currently suggests or that early humans mated with a closely related hominid species that contributed to the Y chromosome gene pool.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/y-chromosome-analysis-moves-adam-closer-eve

Now what do you recon is the human population at the moment? I stopped counting at 6 billion. And what do you recon is the number of people genetically tested so far? I would recon not more than 10 million. What do you think is the chance that they will discover another even older Y chromosome? I say huge. What about extinct human groups and tribes, whose dna we will never know? Do you believe that there is no chance that humans could be even older than 338,000 years? I believe that humans are a lot older than that, and that there could have been many migration before the "out of Africa" one 100,000 years ago. Even if we say that 338,000 years is the oldest ancestor we will ever find, that leaves 338,000 years for that ancestor to wander out of Africa or what ever place he peeped out of first, and get to Andaman. Do you have sea level data for before 150,000 years ago?

We have data for ice ages:

image157.gif

image162.gif

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

And sea levels:

Sea_level_temp_140ky.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level

Going back hundreds of thousands of years.

You can see how sea level went up and down many times within last 350,000 years, giving people many chances to cross to today's islands over today's shallow seas, and which were at the times of glacial maximums just plains, or land bridges...

So wibbs, when you say:
    There are quite the few examples of archaic peoples getting to places that required a trip across open water before 10,000 bc. They got there somehow.

You are ignoring all this and sticking to your "the only way they could have gotten there is by boat" theory. They did't have to have boats, they could have walked.

I do have to say that i have made an error, dating the earliest hafted axe to about 10,000 bc. It is quite possible that people had them earlier, but not earlier than 30,000 years. These are oldest known polished stone tools or axes. Hinatabayashi B site, Shinanomachi, Nagano. Pre-Jōmon (Paleolithic) period, 30,000 BC. Tokyo National Museum.

JapanesePolishedStoneAxes.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Paleolithic

As you can see they are possibly axe heads, but this is not sure, as there is no evidence of them being hafted.

Then we have stone axes found in Siberia, dated to 20,000 bp
    In Siberia the oldest ground axes date to 20,000 bp
    in the valley of Yenisei (Oda & Keally 1973, 19, cited
    by Anderson & Summerhayes 2008, 49).
    The first ground-edge axes are found at the
    beginning of the Mesolithic in Ireland, such as at
    Lough Boora (Co. Offaly), in habitation levels dated
    to 7160–6260 bc.

http://connectingcountry.arts.monash.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Geneste-et-al-20122.pdf

So theoretically people could have been able to make a sea going vessel after 30,000 bp. But not earlier. In Europe, polished stone axes appear much later, and you can't chop wood without polished stone axes. If you can't chop wood, you can't make canoes or rafts. No rafts or boats, no people in Ireland without land bridge...Unless you steal the logs from a beaver, which possible and it probably did happen before people learned how to chop trees themselves.
    In the sense of a set of mutations over time that led to a subspecies of archaic hominid, not a pathological mutation like you suggested.

What is a pathological mutation? Laron dwarf are immune to most modern diseases that we are all dying from. I wouldn't call that pathological mutation, if they end up surviving all of us "normal" humans. It is all about adaptation and survival. Life experience creates epigenetic changes, which cause genetic changes....

Slowburner, i am glad you are finding this interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What if they broke it in bits and made arrow heads? You are presuming the use would be the same or similar. Scrapers or any other flake tools are ideal for making arrow and spear tips or microliths:
    No I'm not assuming that at all. Yes you could make microliths from scrapers, but ask any knapper, it's far far easier to start from scratch. Flint/chert doesn't stay "fresh" and workable for very long periods of time. It weathers and patinates. For a modern to stumble across a surface lump of preworked flint(that could be many thousands of years old) and reuse it would make little sense 90% of the time. Hell I'm game for to be proven wrong, so make with any example of this you like.
    I would not agree with this. Erectus is not a separate species from modern humans, it is ancestor of modern humans as you said yourself. This is very different. I don't understand how you can say two completely opposite things in two consecutive sentences. A reflex from old paleontology i guess, still taught in schools, which invented all these different human species based on scull shape. And which we now know was just that, an invention.
    Eh no, with respect that's tripe. Small ratlike creatures after the KT layer are our ancestors too. Are you suggesting theyre somehow hominids? It's akin to saying chimps are the same species as us, cos, well we have a common ancestor. You're wildly misinterpreting the Dmanisi results and I'm being kind with the misinterpreting label. The Georgian findings strongly suggest a wider morphology within the Erectus species and that previous research was too quick to label something different as new in that period, but that's it. It does NOT mean Erectus = modern human. I can't stress that enough.
    Can you please point me to data that led you believe that the above is true?
    Are you seriously in earnest? OooK... If so, I would suggest further reading on anatomy and evolutionary biology where it concerns hominids. Just one difference(of many) Erectus had a brain volume of around 600 cc, we have a brain size of around 1300 cc. We're as different from Erectus as Erectus is from a Bonobo. Neandertals were human as far as I'm concerned, but not quite. Not quite us. A sub species that we could have fertile kids with, but subtly different. Put it this way look at the average persons mantlepiece or knick knack shelf. All those personal items that take up the space of a shoebox. Well that's more cultural "stuff" than we have found in the entire record of over 200,000 years of Neandertal history. IF you wanna play the ball of us and Neandertals and the differences I'm well game for that, but you won't be happy with it.
    No this is not true actually. For my theory to work, Erectus (or i would prefer to call it human if you don't mind),
    I do mind on so many obvious levels.
    would have to start spreading earlier then "out of Africa" story would want us to believe. This is what you find on Wikipedia, and what most people, including archaeologists, believe to be true:
    Look, no offence DV, but you are all over the place here. A square peg theory trying to fit the round hole of current evidence. I like thinking outside the box, I do it myself but with some grasp of the fundamentals of said box.
    I suggest you read that more deeply. And read other stuff on this subject with it.
    Based on this "out of Africa" date, humans only reached Andaman some time after 70,000 bc:
    Minus stone axes it seems...
    They could not have reached Andaman earlier, because humans only evolved 200,000 and 150,000 years ago based on genetic data they say. They should really update Wikipedia and school books more often.
    Jesus. Now I'm starting to zone out TBH. Just because a date is set on (somewhat) anatomically modern humans showing up(and that is an area of study within itself), this does not mean behaviour follows automatically in it's wake. This is really basic stuff DV, EG it took until 50,000 years ago for fully verified modern behavior to show up, in people that looked modern human for three times that amount of time.
    Now what do you recon is the human population at the moment? I stopped counting at 6 billion. And what do you recon is the number of people genetically tested so far? I would recon not more than 10 million. What do you think is the chance that they will discover another even older Y chromosome? I say huge. What about extinct human groups and tribes, whose dna we will never know? Do you believe that there is no chance that humans could be even older than 338,000 years? I believe that humans are a lot older than that, and that there could have been many migration before the "out of Africa" one 100,000 years ago. Even if we say that 338,000 years is the oldest ancestor we will ever find, that leaves 338,000 years for that ancestor to wander out of Africa or what ever place he peeped out of first, and get to Andaman. Do you have sea level data for before 150,000 years ago?
    Jesus. Part Deux. Yes I agree on one of your points, that we've not even scratched the surface of genetic diversity in modern people and that this African lad will not be an outlier the more we test people. This has previous. Mungo man in Australia is a fully modern human(no, not Erectus) and has a Y line that didn't survive to today. But again he is a fully modern human just like you and me, not an archaic like Erectus. And yes we have evidence of earlier archaic forms of us getting out of Africa. Going back nigh on a million years in Europe but again, and I cannot stress this enough, they were NOT modern humans in physiology, deed or culture.
    So wibbs, when you say:

You are ignoring all this and sticking to your "the only way they could have gotten there is by boat" theory. They did't have to have boats, they could have walked.
    At which point they would have had to independently evolved into modern humans who are very closely related(with some archaic folks thrown in outside of Africa. Which in itself proves the recent out of Africa notion or African folks would have those genes). There is nothing, nada, zero evidence of this. Again I say read more and take a look at Erectus and Sapiens and play spot the (major) diffs, in morphology and culture.
    What is a pathological mutation? Laron dwarf are immune to most modern diseases that we are all dying from. I wouldn't call that pathological mutation, if they end up surviving all of us "normal" humans.
    Jesus(or is that Hayzus) Part Tres. Seriously. Read more. I like your way of thinking in one regard, but if ever there were a case of a little knowledge being a bad thing... And I say that as me FFS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

OK. That is a sound rebuttal and we can leave the general hominid discussion there.

Let's get back on track and discuss the Palaeolithic in Ireland.
    For example: what are the implications of the Mell flake?
    If glacial action effectively erased any layers that may have held evidence of palaolithic habitation, where might that evidence have ended up?
    And why has no evidence been unearthed from areas untouched by the last glacial period?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's really odd that all we have so far is the Mell flake, a likely erratic carried by ice. Especially given paleolithic stuff, though rare has shown up in Scotland which was also blasted by the glaciations. Norway, Sweden and Finland have also given up some paleolithic sites(modern and archaic human).

Why have we not found any here? 1) they may never have been here(unlikely). 2) they may never have been here in sufficient numbers to leave much behind 3) the ice did it's level best and removed all trace 4) we've never looked hard enough in the right places.

Where to look? Caves I'd say. They're the best bet. Not because they may be primary habitation locations, but because chances are higher that stuff can end up being washed into them from primary sites(the cannibalised Neandertal finds in northern Spain a good example of such a cave site. The Jersey caves another). Collapsed caves might be better again as they might entomb such signs of earlier habitation. Other options might be pre glacial river systems if any exist here, or if anyone has looked for them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

You would imagine that if any material survived in palaeochannels it would have been noticed.
    I quite like the possibility that as the NE/SW limits of glacier migration were reached at the Irish Sea basin, they deposited their load.
    So, is it possible that there is a vast, untapped store of palaeolithic material beneath the sands of the Irish Sea bed? And how might this be investigated?
    As far as I know, very few deeper sea bed excavations have been monitored archaeologically.

I heard that fishermen pull things out off the sea around british isles all the time? Remember reading about it in the papers few years ago.

Post deleted.
    Reason: ignored moderator instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Let's get back on track and discuss the Palaeolithic in Ireland.
    For example: what are the implications of the Mell flake?
    If glacial action effectively erased any layers that may have held evidence of palaolithic habitation, where might that evidence have ended up?
    And why has no evidence been unearthed from areas untouched by the last glacial period?[/QUOTE]

From memory,

The theories regarding Glacial Melt-Sea level Rise and Flood Legends would cover the disappearance of evidence up to a certain point.
    Like most European Civilisations they would have congregated around rivers and flood-plains. Once the glaciers melted at the end of the last Ice Age, the seas rose by around 400 feet, therefore most occupation sites which developed in such areas are now submerged, hence DublinVikings observation regarding fishing nets.
    This even led to an episode of Time Team.
    Underwater Archaeology is an area that still needs much developement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Call down for coffee some day :D

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/services/conservationandheritage/archaeology/firstirishpeopleindungarvanvalley/

I linked to a pdf on the caves before, could find the link again if anyone interested, can't remember what thread it was. I think a good few locations have not been explored due to instability or collapse, or of how awkward they are to get to.
    Pity Shandon cave was totally destroyed, it was easily accessible.

Also, I found some a sea shell fossil and one of these fossils of the little spirally really geometric things up at the start of the Knockmealdowns. (a bit like the big "wormy type" one center and center left) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Haeckel_Tetracoralla.jpg

There, to be precise. (don't know how to put a marker in Google maps)
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.24884,-7.792756&spn=0.000913,0.002642&t=h&z=19

I remember reading too in "Reading the Irish Landscape" that indeed, the top of the Knockmealdowns for example, could have been relatively spared by the ice sheets.
    Sort of makes sense when you look at the topography of the area. I guess everything would have been diverted down the valley to the East, especially since I seem to remember that even river wise, the course of the Suir was not what it is today and might have flown down this way ? (think I read that on an information sign near Cappoquinn by the Blackwater.)
    I don't understand timelines very well, so maybe the rivers info is irrelevant because posterior...

• Advertisement

Call down for coffee some day :D

http://www.waterfordcoco.ie/en/services/conservationandheritage/archaeology/firstirishpeopleindungarvanvalley/

I linked to a pdf on the caves before, could find the link again if anyone interested, can't remember what thread it was. I think a good few locations have not been explored due to instability or collapse, or of how awkward they are to get to.
    I'd reckon the same. Any paleo stuff is likely to be well buried by later deposits and likely a good distance from original deposition, but collapsed cave systems would be the best place to look for a paleo time capsule. It has certainly been the case in other parts of the world.
    Also, I found some a sea shell fossil and one of these fossils of the little spirally really geometric things up at the start of the Knockmealdowns. (a bit like the big "wormy type" one center and center left) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Haeckel_Tetracoralla.jpg
    That looks like a coral fossil, specifically caninia, a very common fossil in lower carboniferous limestones that are found all over Ireland. Few hundred million years too early sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

it's eerie finding sea shell fossils on the mountains... I love it :D

it's fascinating to think there could be remnants from paleolithic visitors under the sea, but a bit depressing too, how far exactly would they have been dragged away ?

I think I remember again from R the IL that the migrating ice sheets, under the pressure from the Eastern/Irish Sea ones, were pushed South-Westwards... so Sunny South East paleo people's stuff could well be in Cork/Kerry as has been suggested. With all the fishing you'd think something might have come up.

Comes outa the north sea regularly enough. There's even a guy on ebay holland(IIRC) that hangs out on the docks and sells what he buys from the fishermen. Mammoth tusks and the like. There was even part of the skull of a Neandertal dredged up a couple of years ago. That said the area is large and it's much shallower than most of the deeps around the Irish coast and was dry land(Doggerland) for a very long time.

Advertisement