Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dole Bank payments option scrapped for all?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

looper333 wrote: »
    Last signing day i was told off for being 5 minutes late joining a Queue that took 40 mins to get to counter. He started pointing his pen at me like i was a little kid and him the headmaster ( i am older than him) Ten mins late and he would have hardly known that but who cares when it is 10 mins, not like it was 3 hours. I asked him for the next time when i arrive can i come straight up to counter to meet my correct signing time , he lost the plot saying no etc. He continued to talk to me like a child so i asked again 'can i come straight up to counter for my correct time instead of joining a Queue that takes 40 mins. He said ' i will be hearing something about this' . I guess this measure is the result of simply making a valid point to an absolute prat.

sounds as though you've been singled out, a hand-written letter and all, probably took the hump with you, and sent that letter to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

1. claim your free pram
    2. get some one to push you to the office for cheaper than a fiver
    3. Collect other prams at bus stops
    4. employ people to push others, a tuk-tuk taxi service (could be expanded in to collecting shopping etc)
    5. Profit:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Boombastic wrote: »
    That'll keep the problem solving and decision making skills sharp, something to add to the CV:D

and the exercise -cheaper than joining a gym, you're actually earning money!!

Nowhere is too far to walk when you've money to collect

I'm thinking of requesting a combo post office/affo. It'll save a lot of frustration. Nothing worse than having the 12 pack of dutch gold and having to walk to go get money for it!
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    If there's a bookie close by, it would be paradise.tongue.gif

There is! It's across a road, though. So not only do I have to cross one road to get to the fecking post office, I have to cross a second one to do some gambling.

And people told me it'd be easy on the dole, liars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm thinking of requesting a combo post office/affo. It'll save a lot of frustration. Nothing worse than having the 12 pack of dutch gold and having to walk to go get money for it!

There is! It's across a road, though. So not only do I have to cross one road to get to the fecking post office, I have to cross a second one to do some gambling.

And people told me it'd be easy on the dole, liars!

My friend told me this is an infringement of your human rights:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah keep sending people to the post office for this stuff, God forbid someone might actually want to post something without queuing for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭looper333

If good systems have to be stopped in order to defeat cheats then perhaps the same stance should be taken against government members, banks and the gardai when they are caught cheating. It's much easier to blame the people with nothing rather than the lawmakers, law enforcers and the banking institution that rules them all. The amount of ignorance out there is for all to see, if only just a few could use more than 12% of their brain this country would not be owned by the very banks that cheated us all out of our freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

if you get to the post office about 30 minutes before it opens you can be one of the first in that way your finger pointing curtain twitching neighbours may not see you. also you're in and out in minutes then over to the bank which opens at 10, pay your money into your bank acocunt and back to your day by 10:10. where's teh problem?

OP where you living that itll cost you €5 return for two bus journeys? i mean most town centres will have a bank and post office within a relative short walking distance of each other. so unless your living in the arse of nowhere with no electricity and no running water you should be fine or do you use one of these special "went dont need buildings" banks?

I also agree that its about time there stopped this paying into bank accounts crap stupitest idea ever. I also think they need to increase the checks on people like have them prove they're looking for work etc. I know i heard talk of this and would definitly like to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

If good systems have to be stopped in order to defeat cheats then perhaps the same stance should be taken against government members, banks and the gardai when they are caught cheating. It's much easier to blame the people with nothing rather than the lawmakers, law enforcers and the banking institution that rules them all. The amount of ignorance out there is for all to see, if only just a few could use more than 12% of their brain this country would not be owned by the very banks that cheated us all out of our freedom.

Your username is very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The Post Offices will be raided weekly now with so much cash being handed out instead of banked.

kopkidda wrote: »
    Your username is very apt.

As is yours considering you're a West brit mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

[QUOTE= I also think they need to increase the checks on people like have them prove they're looking for work etc. I know i heard talk of this and would definitly like to see that.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, this is proper order, the only people who have anything to fear from checks are those that are takng the piss, before starting college I was unemployed for 10 months and I only had to sign on 4 times and was never once asked to provide evidence that I was looking for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

If good systems have to be stopped in order to defeat cheats .

its only a good system if your a fat lazy cnut that wont walk to the postoffice or are a dole cheat in fairness. i mean youre not working, so apart from looking for work what else would you be doing? would you like someone to look for work for you as well as free money? then maybe that someone would do that work for you once they've secured that job and give you the money earned? oh wait you get welfare a form of free money made up partially from the taxes paid by others that work :rolleyes:

It's much easier to blame the people with nothing rather than the lawmakers, law enforcers and the banking institution that rules them all. .

actually you'll find people are "blaming" dole cheats for the removal of the bank account system, and by blaming i mean not blaming and by removal i mean closing of a lop hole that allows welfare fraud.
    The amount of ignorance out there is for all to see, if only just a few could use more than 12% of their brain this country would not be owned by the very banks that cheated us all out of our freedom.

and there we go link everything back to the bankers and the housing crisis and the bubbles bursting and the corrupt politicians. btw i read today that Ireland is the 6th least corrupt country in the 17 country euro zone. so i guess only a small percentage are cheating, bt like teh small percentage that are dole cheats.

just get off your arse and walk to teh post office, walk to farr? get a push bike, you'll spend money first of all but the health benifits are huge, that will also have a knock on effect because the Hospitals wont have to treat you if you fall ill freom heart disease coz you'll be nice and healty. just pray you dont live in roscommon coz its a 2 hour drive to the local A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If I were designing the system I would set it up like this:

1) You go to the post office and sign on as per a cash payment.
    2) The post office person clicks a button to authorise the payment to your bank account.
    3) Funds are available within 1 working day.

I think that would cut down on fraud i.e. people not resident in the country and it would also reduce post office raids as there would be no reason to have large amounts of cash at the post office.

Anyone who is on long-term benefits of other sorts e.g. pensions, disability, carers allowance etc should be actively encouraged to collect it via their bank account automatically without signing on. It's a waste of time and resources and putting people at risk with high volumes of cash to have those payments processed via the post offices.

It would make life a lot easier for small post offices in particular if they didn't have the headache of huge amounts of cash on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

after 70 odd posts it seems the OP is the only one who received this letter so I am guessing it will not be the case for everyone,

but I do know 4-5 people and it would upset things for them big time if they had to go to the post office every week.

Faolchu wrote: »
    its only a good system if your a fat lazy cnut that wont walk to the postoffice or are a dole cheat in fairness. i mean youre not working, so apart from looking for work what else would you be doing? would you like someone to look for work for you as well as free money? then maybe that someone would do that work for you once they've secured that job and give you the money earned? oh wait you get welfare a form of free money made up partially from the taxes paid by others that work :rolleyes:

The point is the bank payments is a system that doesn't waste time or added expenses so a person can spend them on the rising costs that keep them in a space where they can look for work in the best circumstances they can ie more money to fund looking for work, keeping themselves healthy and presentable

actually you'll find people are "blaming" dole cheats for the removal of the bank account system, and by blaming i mean not blaming and by removal i mean closing of a lop hole that allows welfare fraud.

Punish the cheats not those who rely on good systems to keep costs down

and there we go link everything back to the bankers and the housing crisis and the bubbles bursting and the corrupt politicians. btw i read today that Ireland is the 6th least corrupt country in the 17 country euro zone. so i guess only a small percentage are cheating, bt like teh small percentage that are dole cheats.

Everything can be linked back to bankers and why do these cheats ( on a hugely bigger scale) get very little punishment , if any.

just get off your arse and walk to teh post office, walk to farr? get a push bike, you'll spend money first of all but the health benifits are huge, that will also have a knock on effect because the Hospitals wont have to treat you if you fall ill freom heart disease coz you'll be nice and healty. just pray you dont live in roscommon coz its a 2 hour drive to the local A&E

I work out 3 or 4 times a week and use my spare time working towards setting up my own business. I would not be unemployed if the system didn't cheat me out of the same chance as many other people. There are many different types of people that need benefits but we are all punished the same and tarred with the brush of cheaters. That viewpoint is just plain stupid and does not help anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I work out 3 or 4 times a week and use my spare time working towards setting up my own business. I would not be unemployed if the system didn't cheat me out of the same chance as many other people. There are many different types of people that need benefits but we are all punished the same and tarred with the brush of cheaters. That viewpoint is just plain stupid and does not help anybody

I had a nice long rant written out over this load of crap but couldn't be arsed getting in a petty argument so close to the weekend so good luck with the business....by the way, you should probaby use most of your time setting up the business and your free time working out and not the other way around!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Since the other thread you started on this exact issue was closed before you could outline your plan to stop 99.999% of social welfare fraud, could you elighten me know as to how you would achieve this if you were employed by Social Welfare tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Will this effect people receiving Disability Allowance as well or just people on the Dole? I'm disabled and unable to stand for long and queuing in the PO will be an added hassle

donalg1 wrote: »
    Since the other thread you started on this exact issue was closed before you could outline your plan to stop 99.999% of social welfare fraud, could you elighten me know as to how you would achieve this if you were employed by Social Welfare tomorrow.

I had written a reply but it closed thread for some reason i don't understand.

It would not benefit me to tell you my method but i will tell you it involves a new computerised system that can allow for results i stated. The technology used is only recently available and would entail large initial costs but very small in relative to cheating losses. It could be implemented within months throughout entire country and would also reduce waiting times dramatically when signing on. Bottom line people would not be able to cheat from abroad or by getting double payments etc. It may cost a few jobs in the dole office mind but would increases jobs in other sectors in relation to the technology used. There may be some debate on whether it is ethical but i am sure a vote by the people on the matter would be largely in favor. If i could find the right people to talk to propose the idea then i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hardCopy wrote: »
    The Post Offices will be raided weekly now with so much cash being handed out instead of banked.

Which is one of the main reasons why they started paying it into bank accounts in the first place.

Jesus.. some of the comments here are utterly stupid, not that it needs to be pointed out at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Which is one of the main reasons why they started paying it into bank accounts in the first place.

Jesus.. some of the comments here are utterly stupid, not that it needs to be pointed out at this stage.

CIT companies will be rubbing their hands with glee this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One of the simplest ways of cutting down on dole cheats would be going back to the old days of having people sign on every week, add in photo S/W ID swipe cards and / or hand print scanners (like the ones used by hotel staff) and Bobs your Auntie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Great now it's going to take twice as long to buy a fúcking stamp

K.Flyer wrote: »
    One of the simplest ways of cutting down on dole cheats would be going back to the old days of having people sign on every week, add in photo S/W ID swipe cards and / or hand print scanners (like the ones used by hotel staff) and Bobs your Auntie.

Nail on head, very simple and very productive Hand/finger print readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Cant get any cheaper or simpler than making people personally collect the money every week. I'm all for finger printing but photo ID should be required every single time and it never is. I've had to switch post offices recently and I still wasnt asked for ID. I could have been anyone. These people need to the get basics right first before we know for sure there is a problem that needs addressing.

I dont understand how anyone can moan about having to go collect free money once a week. Its the sweetest deal I've ever seen in my life, yeah its not nice to stand in line waiting to stick the hand out but its not nice being on the dole anyway.

Advertisement