Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A few questions please.

Options
  • 06-04-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I have been pondering on whether or not to post here for a few weeks now. I often read here and my heart goes out to you. I do not want to sound patronizing, so please feel free to ignore my post if you think I am overstepping the mark.

I am not adopted and I am not Irish. In my work I often assist people who have difficulties looking after their animals. One such a man is an 68yro bachelor farmer whom I helped with the rehoming of his boisterous dog. He had his niece there one day when I brought the dog back from the vet and after she left, he said something very strange: *She is the one we kept for ourselves!*.

I asked him what he meant by that and he said his unmarried sister had 5 babies out of wedlock and put the first four up for adoption but they *kept* the last one because it was a girl..? The niece is now in her mid-20's.

Another lady whom I help with her cats asked me to read a letter for her and it was an official letter saying that one of her birth sons is trying to make contact with her. I was really embarassed reading her the letter but she seemed not to be bothered and only said that it was *water under the bridge* and that she didn't even know which one it was as she gave up 3..?? She is in her late 50's.

To be honest, it kind of haunts me which is why I am posting this here. How common was/is adoption in Ireland? I live in a very small rural community and have encountered two such stories which affects seven kids?

I've had a few chats with my OH about it who is mid-40's and Irish and was told it was very common in the 60s/70s/80s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

somewhere in the region of 50,000 adopted . there are no exact figures because of the hi numbers of illegal adoptions both domestic and exported babies around the world ( known as Banished babies approx 3,000) . here is another fact that will make u shudder,, 50,000 Irish adults today have no right to their birth certs,, no access to any medical backround,, and are excluded from the freedom of information act..:mad:

Advertisement