Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blanchardstown to the Angler's Rest, is it walkable?

• 17-05-2014 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Heading tomorrow for what will probably be a boozy lunch. Can't see public transport options and would like to avoid taking a taxi both ways. Google maps says it would take an hour but doesn't indicate if it's a safe walk. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What do mean safe. There's a path the whole way if you go past Mount Sackville. No path the last 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Blanchardstown covers a large area, it really depends on where you start as to the time. There's footpaths on all roads except sommerton lane and some of lower road, but you don't need to go on those roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

More safe as a lone female. I might get the 38 to Castleknock and walk from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

38 to Castleknock.
    Get off near Myos.
    Walk on College Road, down Tower Road past Mount Sackville.
    At the traffic lights you can turn right down the 50 or so metres to the Anglers.

Ironically I'm heading there later today but I'll be getting a taxi from Blanch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Treat yourself to a taxi back to Moyos on the way home if you are having a bit of a session, the roads will be busy if the weather is good.

If the weather is good then the Anglers will be packed, no harm to book a table.

• Advertisement

Thats probably the best idea. Its a bit of lonely walk on your own.
    Rarely do you see people on it past castleknock college. Even on a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Don't forget the rain gear, today's weather will not continue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would say no, but taxi should be cheap enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

beauf wrote: »
    What do mean safe. There's a path the whole way if you go past Mount Sackville. No path the last 100m.
    Don't know how you figure that out, as there is a pathway all the way to front door of The Angler's Rest from the Castleknock / Mount Sackville direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Just dont walk along the (strawberry beds ?) backroads in the direction of Lucan.

I shudder when I see people doing this theres no path, winding roads and cars tear along.

• Advertisement

I drove it on the Saturday and made the decision not to walk it on the Sunday largely due to lack of pedestrians on the road, it felt very exposed and unsafe. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

nudger wrote: »
    Treat yourself to a taxi back to Moyos on the way home if you are having a bit of a session, the roads will be busy if the weather is good.

If the weather is good then the Anglers will be packed, no harm to book a table.

Does it really get busy?

I always thought it was a bit too far from anything for it to be busy. Nice location and setup though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Caliden wrote: »
    Does it really get busy?

I always thought it was a bit too far from anything for it to be busy. Nice location and setup though
    Friday and Sat can be very busy, now we would always book a table. In the past we didn't book and could wait up to an hour for a table, this was never a problem as it is always nice to have a drink at the bar or on a fine evening a relaxing drink outside.

The food is consistant and very good, it's a great place to winde down after a crazy day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Friday and Sat can be very busy, now we would always book a table. In the past we didn't book and could wait up to an hour for a table, this was never a problem as it is always nice to have a drink at the bar or on a fine evening a relaxing drink outside.

The food is consistant and very good, it's a great place to winde down after a crazy day. :)

Great to hear, must give it a try then as it's only a short drive away. Thanks!

Any time I pass it the car park is very busy. I don't think its that obvious as is on the opposite side and slightly hidden from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

The carpark is a disaster to be honest. A real free for all. Ive been in there twice recently and its not easy getting out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Agree about the car park. You'd think they'd at least try to level it off a bit. Would make it easier to mark out spaces too.

Lovely place though, great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've never been there. Do they have a separate bar and restaurant or it a pub that serves food?

Years ago they used to run a bus down to it from Castleknock. I think that was before it switched to being a restaurant.

beauf wrote: »
    Years ago they used to run a bus down to it from Castleknock. I think that was before it switched to being a restaurant.

Some of our gang left the AR after dinner and rang the Strawberry Hall. They do free collection and drop off from Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Ashtown and Chapelizod which was perfect as the AR was busy with families that afternoon and we wanted more of a drinking pub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've never been there. Do they have a separate bar and restaurant or it a pub that serves food?

They used to have a separate bar and restaurant. You used to be able to get pub grub downstairs and the proper restaurant was upstairs. Now they do weddings and that upstairs and the downstairs is all restaurant. There's still a tiny little area around the bar but it's more of a waiting for a table kind of thing than a sit and have a few pints kind of bar.

Advertisement