Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Then there is today's helping....

The exhaust is much more difficult to bolt up on this car for some reason :confused:
    Image2590_zps23e7d646.jpg

Usual bolt arrangement
    Image2591_zps9b23d28e.jpg

I find that if you drop tools, they always end up in an awkward part of the car, in the very middle :rolleyes:
    Image2592_zpsdd9ae49e.jpg

Setting the gearbox mount. Tightening the main bolt and leaving the other 2 loose, allowing to settle once the other mounts are on
    Image2593_zps2187304c.jpg

Split boost actuator pipe? Bah I got another one!
    Image2594_zpsdc71f964.jpg

Putting back the ECU. I want a 1996 ECU (as rare as gold in my poop)
    Image2595_zps14ed8089.jpg

Looking better :)
    Image2596_zpsd4e7f167.jpg

Now refitting this...
    Image2597_zps7a599fc7.jpg

The hardest part was taking of a seriously seized trackrod end and drop link. No gas torch due to lack of oxygen, blow lamp had to do...
    Image2598_zps98b2ff28.jpg

I got **** cramp taking it off! :mad:
    Image2599_zps5a5fbd0e.jpg

Still, just trackrods and drop links to put in. I'm delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Its been five years so time for my favorite jobn't
    Image0609.jpg
    I just love the alignment part where I hold my circlip pliers with one hand and my 13 spanner in the other hand and the mirror in ahem my other hand, all inImage0614.jpg the space of a matchbox.

Then I replace a perfectly good pump with the same, well ya gotta.Then new plugs.
    Image0613.jpg

I honestly don't know how the pro's do it so quick because it takes me all day.
    Prolly more skin left on the cam sprock than my knuckles.
    Image0615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fitted this febi bilstein control arm kit to my a4
    IMG_00000017_zps03657909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissednbroke

Not as impressive as the last three posts, but stuck in some new plugs, air filter and a couple of new indicator bulbs on the focus.

Not as impressive as the last three posts, but stuck in some new plugs, air filter and a couple of new indicator bulbs on the focus.

Its not about being impressive, you know the works done. And you know you did it. Good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

dgt wrote: »
    Putting back the ECU. I want a 1996 ECU (as rare as gold in my poop)

What's the advantage of a 1996 ECU?

My dad drives a 1996 1.9TD so I can let you know if it's ever being scrapped. Passed the NCT 2 weeks ago though so good for another while yet!

Edit: There is also one on ebay. Steep enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Replaced the fuse holder on my angel eyes harness, was all corroded after only 2 years, saw the lights flickering in the reflection of cars infront.

Brake pad wear warning light was on, thought that was impossible seeing as they've over 70% left. Turns out the rear right sensor cable had popped out of its holder and was rubbing against the inside of the alloy. It had worn right trough one of the two internal cables. Bit of soldering, light reset, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

I changed the starter in my AE86..... I had lost patience with the old one, it was dying a slow death.

Overall an easy enough job, couple of bolts and a fiddly connector had it sorted.

Next on the agenda is to lower the front coilovers, had to raise them for the NCT

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Parts ordered in the last few days:

BMTechnic Diagnostic Cable / Software
    14-203Nm Torque Wrench
    6 x NGK Laser Platinum Plugs
    Oil filter
    Air filter
    Valve cover gasket
    Vanos gasket
    Vanos oil hose/pipe washers
    Vanos piston bolts
    Fan shroud rivet
    Valve cover bolt grommets

Stuff I have "in stock" :pac:

Beisan Systems Teflon / Viton Vanos Seal Kit
    2 gallons of 5W30 fully synthetic oil
    1 gallon of coolant

Going to be busy next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

conzy wrote: »
    ....Going to be busy next weekend!

Busy but fun imo. I find working on cars to be therapeutic anyways :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

renofan wrote: »

Therapeutic until you tear your hand open or drop a nut into the engine bay and it doesn't end up on the undertray :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Too put it mildly I have a serious horn to start working on the car again :D Was just saying it to someone yesterday that theres nothing better than being out in the freezing cold lying under the car with a cup of tae on standby :pac:

Therapeutic until you tear your hand open or drop a nut into the engine bay and it doesn't end up on the undertray :mad:

I haven't torn my hand yet and I have a magnetic thing to find dropped nuts!

A040_1_20110228_293ae5a6-c775-49f1-bba8-c261bd9214cb300230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You should try it, it's great fun trying to stop blood dripping all over the place making it look like you hit a fox :P

And that magnetic thing is of no use if you can't see where the nut is or haven't a clue where it's gone :pac:

When I did the job on the vanos solenoids, I was putting the screws back in the cabin filter housing, one dropped into the engine but thankfully ended up on the undertray. I didn't bother trying to get it out so it's either still there or on the roads around here!

I have never felt my heart beat stronger or faster when I drop a nut into the engine bay. It's actually very upsetting :(

You should try it, it's great fun trying to stop blood dripping all over the place making it look like you hit a fox :P

And that magnetic thing is of no use if you can't see where the nut is or haven't a clue where it's gone :pac:

When I did the job on the vanos solenoids, I was putting the screws back in the cabin filter housing, one dropped into the engine but thankfully ended up on the undertray. I didn't bother trying to get it out so it's either still there or on the roads around here!

I have never felt my heart beat stronger or faster when I drop a nut into the engine bay. It's actually very upsetting :(

Suppose I'm lucky so. After a good feel around I've always found my nuts :D

Yeah, but how long do you search before you realize it's gone to the great big toolbox in the sky, and say fcuk it, I'll just get another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well it only took 3 hours, thanks to dodging rain and hail showers, but I now have one rear mud flap :D

Here we go - one slightly wonky mudflap. Being the genius that I am I jacked up the drivers side, removed the wheel, then lined everything up the way I wanted ... while forgetting to allow for the fact that the Shogun was more slanted than normal due to being on the jack :rolleyes:

Its only slightly off (looks worse thanks to my current rear camber) so it'll most likely stay exactly as it is :p

And yes, those are scratches on the rear quarter panel and not a reflection :o

flap1.jpg

flap2.jpg

flap3.jpg

Gotta get some black paint to touch up the rusty bits :o

Now - anyone got some spare Tip-Ex for me to plaster MITSUBISHI on the back of it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Job finished :cool:

This time I did the sensible thing and got all my reference points while the truck was still on all 4 wheels. Once I had the first 2 holes drilled and ready it was safe to jack up the rear to remove the wheel and gain easy access with the drill for the other mounting holes.

flaps_2.jpg

flaps_4.jpg

flaps_3.jpg

flaps_1.jpg

They're kinda temporarily fitted for now. Really need to get some perforated metal strip, as the heads of the nuts are kinda digging into the rubber so need to stop that or they'll just fall off in the rough stuff. I'm not sure that washers would be enough :confused: Will probably try to straighten the drivers side one then too :D

For now I'm just hoping that the 4 nuts on each will hold them securely enough for everyday driving :)

Moar stuff from yours truly :P

First, I'm at the hoorin' again...
    Image2600_zpse2bc72cb.jpg

The heater fan refused to work. I was looking for a resistor but ended swapping the whole fan unit instead!
    Image2601_zpsa4886cab.jpg

I'm now toasty in the mornings :cool:

Moving onto the main part, I had my suspicions after the turbo went that the cat was in bits. So conveniently, I pulled this one out of thin air...
    Image2602_zpsc3cb7228.jpg

Then pulled the one on the car off
    Image2603_zps77b123e3.jpg

Yep, the pipe and cat showing signs of a serious overheating. The cat itself is completely clogged up with crap! Also blowing at the joining weld
    Image2604_zps8afbc13b.jpg

Silencer isn't happy either
    Image2605_zps9128a394.jpg

This is how a new catalyst is made :pac:
    Image2606_zpse96e18cd.jpg

As you can see, they don't match. So out with..... :D
    Image2607_zpsbc3a7265.jpg

Oh look, a turbine wheel!
    Image2608_zps13299e30.jpg

I'm keeping the good cat and exhaust to one side for the test and more importantly to stop people stealing it off the car.

So I made up another straight exhaust
    Image2609_zps82c63d4d.jpg

The result....

She's nearly powwwwwwin!!!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Is the smoke supposed to be impressive or something?

• Advertisement

Is the smoke supposed to be impressive or something?

I generally do these things as a piss take, because I want to :p I mean,why not if one wants to?

However, there is no smoke from this one. It was freezing when I took that vid a short while ago, hence steam as opposed to black smoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I'm confused DGT do you have two 406's now?

Thought your car was a '98 :confused:

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I'm confused DGT do you have two 406's now?

Thought your car was a '98 :confused:

Holy fook, you are the first person to cop this!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well spotted good sir, although I have been a little obvious about it, I even put a full size pic of it in the guess the car thread a few days ago :P

All my updates were on my new hack :cool:
    Image2467_zps8113a840.jpg

I wanted to see how long it would take before anyone noticed :p

Ahhh dgt why the secrecy :p

I was thinking that there was something odd when you were doing all the turbo work etc but appeared to be driving the car everyday!

Do you still have the silver car and whats the shhtory behind it all???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Bloody hell, is this what you were on about a few weeks ago when I was trying to guess what no one had noticed?

Not too much of a surprise considering it's you. :p

Ahhh dgt why the secrecy :p

I was thinking that there was something odd when you were doing all the turbo work etc but appeared to be driving the car everyday!

Do you still have the silver car and whats the shhtory behind it all???

My plan was to do an update on the silver car, as in "Today I washed my car, but I washed it too much and it fell apart" sort of update :p

Plus, everyone at the meet would be looking for a silver 406, not a Vulcan red one ;) imagine the fun I could have had.... :(

As for the silver hape, it's confined to the graveyard at the mo. Awaiting stripping and then I'll scrap it. No loss, it was actually driving me mad!!! :eek:

You know the feeling, you sort one area of the car then something else cropped up... I've gone over the red one and apart from a rusty rear subframe it's pretty sound. The windows work and there's no sunroof :cool:
    CianRyan wrote: »
    Bloody hell, is this what you were on about a few weeks ago when I was trying to guess what no one had noticed?

Not too much of a surprise considering it's you. :p

Yep, that's what I was on about a few weeks ago indeed :P I seem to change cars like underpants at times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

dgt wrote: »
    I seem to change cars like underpants at times :pac:

Once every 2 weeks? :p

Once every 2 weeks? :p

More like to co incide with the seasonal wash :pac:

I'm sorry to have ruined the surprise you planed for the meet:(. I'll still pretend to be surprised at the meet if you want :D:p.

So has all the work you've been doing recently been on the red car not the silver one?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to have ruined the surprise you planed for the meet:(. I'll still pretend to be surprised at the meet if you want :D:p.

So has all the work you've been doing recently been on the red car not the silver one?

Ah your grand lad! Think of it as an observational excersise you won :cool:

Yep, all the turbo work and pretty much everything since about the 10th was exclusively on that red car. I thought people might have copped the red paint in some of the pictures! :p

As always too, it cost naff all to buy the car and naff all to put right :)

I do have an engine swap lined up for it this year too. Had my eyes on a DW12 but decided that was a bit too messy... Another XUD9 with some fettling is the way foreward for now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement