Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is being accepted into garda college hard??

• 17-01-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm 15 and already have to start researching about how to become a garda.. what are the stages like into being accepted and also what is the college like.. how much is the tuition?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

oliviasxo wrote: »
    I'm 15 and already have to start researching about how to become a garda.. what are the stages like into being accepted and also what is the college like.. how much is the tuition?

hi olivia,

you should check out these sites they ll have some info you ll need etc

www.garda.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oliviasxo

yes ive read that and have recieved handouts on notes and conditions, i was wondering is it possible to do both operational and crime training or can you only choose 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Yes it is. Only because they limited the amount they take in and open it up to a public campaign. So you've 25,000 people looking for 100/200 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Very hard. Go and live a bit first get life experience. Not many people get into the guards the ages of 18/19/20 odd anymore and rightly so. Some people got into the guards young before the even realised the wanted to go and live or travel elsewhere and end up unhappy with regrets.

when i was 18 i was mad to join but recruitment was just stopped and now i am glad i didnt get in at that age its only when you get older that you realise 18 is too young (if you told me that when i was 18 id have bit the head off you) I have been waiting to move in the process for the last year exactly. Even if i did begin to progress further it would take another year to get as far as the college (if successful). And before all of this i waited 4 years before i could even apply!

Dont put all your eggs in one basket i did and I am in the process of try to find more eggs (very hard) but would also like to get out and see a bit of the world which is something i have only realised in the last year. Have back up plan studie something that you can have in your back pocket you never know how it will work out it might take till you are 25-30 to get the guards if you ever do so have something you can do in the mean time and just keep you nose clean. And i repeat for god sake go and live the guards isnt just for christmass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

it'll get easier the economy improves. there was only such a huge demand last year because hundreds of thousands of people were looking for work, not to mention they only recruited after 5 years. The demand for these jobs will always be high but the amount of people applying will be less and less as time goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

oliviasxo wrote: »

At 15, i'd recommend you choose one or all of these things to focus on.

1) Take up a sport and enjoy it. Preferably an Irish sport. As in be athletic.

2)Take up extra curriculars, join the scouts and at 18, join a voluntary organisation, Garda Reserve, Civil Defence, Reserve Defence Forces. Something that shows you actually care about society or are interested enough in something to show up to regular training. All of these things are fun and easy to stay in, cause they're all awesome.

3) Be good in school, get good grades. Going into third level while waiting for the next intake would be a good idea too.

Advertisement