Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I enjoyed Secret Wars overall, although a couple of issues were not as strong as others. The fact that it ran longer than some ongoing series was a little farcical.

I haven't read Vision but it can't possibly be the best Marvel Comic, not while Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is being published.

I'd say when I eventually reread Secret Wars, I'll enjoy it but the huge delays killed it for me.

I haven't read Squirrel Girl yet... But the very premise of The Vision is overwhelmingly great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Tomb Raider 2: Secrets and Lies - Ugh, again with the covers of stuff that just doesn't happen. Like this and this. Stop it, it's unnecessary. Story itself is fine. Serves as a kinda sotra introduction for the antagonists of the second game.

The Thing: The Northman Nightmare* - One-shot available here for free if you want to go to the effort of making an account. The Thing does Vikings. I only got around to seeing the John Carpenter movie a little while ago, and like it but as a concept I'm not how much can be done without just being a retread of the movie which the comic is, just set in a different time period on the other side of the world. Basically someone needs to make a The Things like the Alien sequel. wink.png

Speaking of which:

Prometheus: The Complete Fire and Stone - "Alien vs Aliens vs Alien vs Predator vs Predator" What? No Predators? tongue.png From the making-of info in the back of the book, the creators had to throw out a bunch of stuff thanks to a draft of Prometheus 2, which may or may not be Alien: Covenant by the time it shows up on screen. I'm hoping the rewrite is responsible for the story bringing in
    the Hadley's Hope survivor
    strand which I think I made an audible groan at. It's not like the movies can ever be undone by their spin-offs but there's a habit of people coming away from Aliens to make stories which I think have elements that undermine the original source. This does it
    with non-Newt survivors of Hadley's Hope
    , Aliens: Colonial Marines does it with (in my opinion) its face value appreciation of film and I've read that that Alien trilogy of novels takes Ripley out of stasis between movies so that does it whether it has a story worth telling or not.

I do wonder if the Fire and Stone reshuffling might also be responsible for the Xenomorph even showing up when it does as the Deacon could presumably fill the role.
    Which is suspiciously absent amid all the black goo proto-alien creatures

Can't say if I like Fire and Stone but it didn't feel like a waste of time. It doesn't resolve anything from Prometheus, although questions going unanswered is an element of the story, and the art's nice. The Predator aspect fits in as well as it can when the Prometheus film makes it more unlikely that they're living in the Alien universe off-screen somewhere. Still, it tries to raise Predator up to the level of Alien which is the right direction rather than Alien dropping down to meet the Predator as it were. Nothing against the Predator franchise, mind, I'm just of the opinion that it doesn't have much to say in comparison.

Nice to see Dark Horse is making another attempt at the crossover anyway.

Star Wars: Princess Leia
    Star Wars: Shattered Empire
    - Yeah, what I've read of Marvel Star Wars output hasn't really been doing for me thus far. Having seen The Force Awakens since reading them, the reluctance to let go of the movies makes sense but I'm hoping now that Episode VII film has come and gone, the serieseseses will get more to do. The concern is that as Disney is putting out Anthology films, the books won't get any stories really worth telling because they're reserved for the cinema.

JLA 1 (The Deluxe Edition)* - I mostly enjoyed it at night. Mostly. The aim is to read Waid's run but it made sense to start at the beginning (plus I'm testing digital stuff out). Liking the varying story lengths and the pace more or less just jumping into the next adventure. Listened to Morrison's Fatman on Batman interviews between issues but they did nothing to make the angel story interesting (though they did offer a possible explanation for the execution wink.png). Kyle Rayner Green Lantern's sassy kid thang gets annoying at times when he's not there to annoy The Flash and the Aztek cameo is a horrible flashback to my experience reading the tedious Aztek book. And that darn overpowered ring. It should not be able to make a functioning telephone booth. pacman.gif I still struggle to believe DC characters hang out together. Most of it is worth a look. Particularly that
    Tomorrow Woman
    one-shot.

The Flash: The Return of Barry Allen* - Technically, I read The Flash #74-#79 but TPB names help me keep track.
    I'm a sucker for time travel and I'll appreciate anything in comics that keeps the dead dead
    so it was a fun ride. Already knew certain plot details going in. Didn't really matter. That
    biography
    was awfully convenient. Should have been
    Now That's What I Call The Flash 3450
    or something. wink.png

Captain America: Man Out of Time* - This be good too though I felt
    Cap's return to the present
    was a bit too easy.
    Friends aren't available and look how racist the citizens are and how crappy technology is
    so the sacrifice isn't as big.

Avengers 2 (Hickman HC)
    New Avengers 2 (Hickman HC) - Read New Avengers before Avengers though they've been released out of sync anyway and it really needs Infinity read alongside it. Yes to the Illuminati, no to Infinity tie-ins, Reed Richards is still the worst.

The Amazing Spider-Man Big Time Complete Collection 3 - Human Torch doing
    Risky Business/Rebecca Black
    is the best. Always a pleasure when Slott puts Spider-Man and Johnny Storm together. Not like that evil Marvel making me have to read an Inhumans book to keep up with what Torch is doing.

*Digital version

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Just finished the final book of Secret Wars, a slight bit of confusion as it is the only current thing I read since Doc Ock was Spidey.

The way I took the end after
    Reed was given Doom's power was that he's creating planets/solar systems and sending the heroes back to them? Staying on Battleworld (or his own planet) doing this with his family but not bringing Ben or Johnny back (or could he even?).

When the Spider-men were sent back to New York is this 616 or a completely different timeline? I cam to the conclusion that the Ultimate universe (Earth-1610) is no longer?

Only got back into Marvel/comics after a 10+ years hiatus through the Graphic Novel collection so didn't know much about Thanos' crew or The Maker
    Is this just Reed Richards from a different timeline?
    but what I didn't get was why did he
    de-evolve Reed before he got pizzaed?

Have only read each one once, so it's over a long time span so possibly forgot a lot of the story but enjoyed it. Currently reading AvX but know the main part at the end and have Civil War to read too and I know the bones of this storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just finished X-men - Messiah Complex, Messiah War and The Second Coming..

Fairly grim and hard hitting stuff... The x-men ard mutants in general are having some difficult times. I hadn´t read recent x-men stories before, so there were a lot of new characters I had to deal with.

I enjoyed it immensely. I downloaded it, so viewing it on a tablet is becoming the norm for me. I can also quickly wikipedia who is who when I`m a bit lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just finished X-men - Messiah Complex, Messiah War and The Second Coming..

Fairly grim and hard hitting stuff... The x-men ard mutants in general are having some difficult times. I hadn´t read recent x-men stories before, so there were a lot of new characters I had to deal with.

I enjoyed it immensely. I downloaded it, so viewing it on a tablet is becoming the norm for me. I can also quickly wikipedia who is who when I`m a bit lost...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

L.S.F wrote: »
    Just finished the final book of Secret Wars, a slight bit of confusion as it is the only current thing I read since Doc Ock was Spidey.

The way I took the end after
    Reed was given Doom's power was that he's creating planets/solar systems and sending the heroes back to them? Staying on Battleworld (or his own planet) doing this with his family but not bringing Ben or Johnny back (or could he even?).

When the Spider-men were sent back to New York is this 616 or a completely different timeline? I cam to the conclusion that the Ultimate universe (Earth-1610) is no longer?

Only got back into Marvel/comics after a 10+ years hiatus through the Graphic Novel collection so didn't know much about Thanos' crew or The Maker
    Is this just Reed Richards from a different timeline?
    but what I didn't get was why did he
    de-evolve Reed before he got pizzaed?

Have only read each one once, so it's over a long time span so possibly forgot a lot of the story but enjoyed it. Currently reading AvX but know the main part at the end and have Civil War to read too and I know the bones of this storyline.

To help you with some of your questions:
    616 is no more. The Ultimate Universe and 616 both ceased to be at the end of Secret Wars #1. Inbetwene there was Battleworld and now there is Earth-Prime, which is where both Spider-Men were at the end of that issue.

As for the Maker, he's actually Ultimate Reed Richards. Started off as a good guy in Ultimate Fantastic Four #1 (Mark Millar) a few years ago and slowly progressed into a bad egg as the Ultimate Universe developed. It was actually Hickman that had him take on 'The Maker' persona during his own stint on Ultimates a few years back.

Hickman built toward this through years of other books; Avengers and New Avengers, Ultimates and Fantastic Four. Taken as a epic tale, it's quite an achievement, in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Bought today:
    tumblr_o1mdhmB8451s5x79oo1_640.jpg

Continually impressed by Image Comics. Not just the quality of writing but the lack of ads, each comic having its own unique aesthetic and even the quality of paper it's printed on.

e_e wrote: »
    Continually impressed by Image Comics. Not just the quality of writing but the lack of ads, each comic having its own unique aesthetic and even the quality of paper it's printed on.

SNAP! You said it, Image is seal of quality these days. I don't know anything about Cry Havoc but after the likes of Southern Bastards, Paper Girls and Injection I'm finding myself jumping on for most issue #1s just to make sure I don't miss the boat on a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I find Image better as trades. With DC/Marvel, the wait doesn't feel too long, but for Image, the story usually flows smoothly from one issue to the next and this is usually made worse by delays.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I find Image better as trades. With DC/Marvel, the wait doesn't feel too long, but for Image, the story usually flows smoothly from one issue to the next and this is usually made worse by delays.

Yeah, I generally buy image comics in trade form too.

• Advertisement

Though that does mean long waits between each one. Like I'm waiting on the next trade for Saga. Though I've ordered volumes 9 and 10 of Chew. Have a few I'm catching up on as well. Just started The Darkness Origins volume 2, courtesy of humble bundle

CastorTroy wrote: »
    courtesy of humble bundle

There have been some great humble comic bundles of late. Picked up all of Mark Waid's Irredeemable just before Christmas and Image's recent treasure trove of comics to boot. Great stuff.

I keep forgetting about the book bundles so have missed some good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Gonna Start 100 Bullets tomorow and probably Preacher after that need to step out of the Marvel/DC bubble

Finished Avengers vs X-Men, could hardly put it down! Have the book for well over a year but forced myself to read something and going to continue doing this. I knew the part that
    Cyclops kills Professor X
    and thought it was going to be based around this and that the
    Phoenix Force
    would just come in at the end.

I remember reading issue #1 on comixology when it came out and it sparked my interest in comics once again with the big event.

What is the general consensus on this crossover series? I personally loved it

L.S.F wrote: »
    What is the general consensus on this crossover series? I personally loved it

Accepted wisdom is that it's the absolute worst. It was a pain for me to read...

Haven't read Avengers Vs X-Men myself but I have liked what I've heard about it. Got the full series in a bagged bundle a while ago, just in time to have the digital codes still working. I do want to read it but, like everyone else, finding the time vs the amount of unread material is tough.

Just read the latest issues of The Vision, Doctor Strange and All New All Different Avengers. All three were fantastic tbh, particularly The Vision; such a creepy book.

I've also started Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing deluxe hardback edition. Gonna read this one slowly, relish the limited run!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gonna Start 100 Bullets tomorow and probably Preacher after that need to step out of the Marvel/DC bubble

Preacher on my radar aswell, mostly down to the show, which in turn had people telling me the comics were fantastic

Howdy,

Not sure if this is worth starting a separate thread over so I'll just ask here:
    Has anyone here ordered comics with forbiddenplanet.com via parcel motel in the past?

I put an order through two weeks ago and am getting a ancy at this stage. It's my first time using either service.

• Advertisement

Howdy,

Not sure if this is worth starting a separate thread over so I'll just ask here:
    Has anyone here ordered comics with forbiddenplanet.com via parcel motel in the past?

I put an order through two weeks ago and am getting a ancy at this stage. It's my first time using either service.

I use parcel motel a lot and can't fault it. Never ordered from FP so I'd get onto them first.

Yeah, PM is excellent but never used FP. Maybe try Big Bang for future mail orders!

Big Bang are great but I ordered off FP UK as they had stuff that Big Bang don't stock.

Thanks for the feedback, think the issue is with FP... still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Used the recent Image Humble Bundle to branch out from the be two and try some new books. Have loved the diversion of genuine Sci-Fi from my usual super hero diet.

Low and The Injection have completely caught my imagination and I'm going to be egerly awaiting the next collections.

Jupiters Circle and Bitch Planet were both also really enjoyable but They didn't seem as intriguing to me.

Still tonnes of stuff left to read, best bundle in ages, absolutely unbeatable for $20, practically free at that price.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Used the recent Image Humble Bundle to branch out from the be two and try some new books. Have loved the diversion of genuine Sci-Fi from my usual super hero diet.

Low and The Injection have completely caught my imagination and I'm going to be egerly awaiting the next collections.

Jupiters Circle and Bitch Planet were both also really enjoyable but They didn't seem as intriguing to me.

Still tonnes of stuff left to read, best bundle in ages, absolutely unbeatable for $20, practically free at that price.

If you liked Injection, you should at the very least check out Supreme: Blue Rose - same writer with even more science-fictional oddness. Actually, if you like science-fiction most of Warren Ellis's comics are worth reading :)

Fysh wrote: »
    If you liked Injection, you should at the very least check out Supreme: Blue Rose - same writer with even more science-fictional oddness. Actually, if you like science-fiction most of Warren Ellis's comics are worth reading :)

His recent turn on Moon Knight with Declan Shalvey was super also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

His recent turn on Moon Knight with Declan Shalvey was super also.

Moon Knight, Injection, Supreme, Trees... Ellis is in fine form lately on the comics front, I reckon. Elektrograd: Rusted Blood and the collection of his talks were both pretty good reads too, though not comics, obviously.

Chew volume 9, with Volume 10 waiting for me afterwards.

Only 2 more volumes to go after these 2, since only 60 issues planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well a smaller then normal take for this month(today is payday) but I had a mental month so bit behind on my reading. Not to mention the Division comes out shortly which will probably eat into my reading time :D

So my newest additions, following on some series I'm reading

Deadpool Volume 6 Original Sin
    Star Wards Vader Volume 2 Shadows and Secrets(GF bought me Vol1 for Xmas and I liked it)
    The Walking Dead Volume 7 Calm Before

• Advertisement

Making my way through the Spider-Man series printed in the Panini/Easons "collection". Each book has two comics of modern era and one of yesteryear. Just finished the American Son story and how
    can he take a point blank shot to the head and survive. Even with the mask Reed sends him it's a bit extreme

Enjoying the who story tho, picked up after the events of civil war, some issues are a bit forgettable and some are very good. 100+ issues to go now :) When I'm finished these I'll go back and read the classic arc as found trying to follow both at the same time not as enjoyable

Advertisement