Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel reboot on it's way?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Do people actually expect Marvel to come out and say they are blacklisting FF due to Fox?

Of course not. Because they clearly arent. If they were then why are they bothering keeping Reed, Sue, Ben & Johnny post Secret Wars? They could just leave them die in some corner of Battleworld and thats the end of it. The conspiracy theory is one of the daftest things in a while. Even if Marvel killed the FF & every mutant theres still more than enough material for FOX to get more movies from.

They even brought in Old Man Logan so that Logan wasnt dead even though Kinney has became Wolverine. The comics clearly aren't influenced by the movies despite what conspirists say. They also could have simply destroyed every mutant way back in "House of M" but they didnt and then they even started reactivating the X-Gene and bringing in many new characters with the Phoenix 5 crossover.

They have happily kept making new titles and creating new characters and story arcs for all these teams they cant put in their movies for 10+ years. Marvel keep writing the comics and characters simply because the comics alone actually make them money. Its just basic common sense and business. If they wanted to destroy them they could, yet they never have because they are making money from them. And destroying them wouldnt actually stop FOX using any of the already existing material. They would just be ending a revenue stream for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For MCU you should check out some of the "Ultimate" titles.

I'll do some googling.

A quick check for Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Iron Man on Amazon brought a raft of confusion and differing volumes, writers, years etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I read the Ultimate Avengers one for the same reason. I'd always watched the X-men and Spiderman cartoons as a kid and saw the movies and wanted to read the full back stories of all these characters and I'd heard that a lot of the movies were based on the Ultimate versions of the characters. I was seriously underwhelmed and really disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'll do some googling.

A quick check for Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Iron Man on Amazon brought a raft of confusion and differing volumes, writers, years etc.

Try a search on comic vine for ultimates, should give a listing of the various volumes in reading order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Do people actually expect Marvel to come out and say they are blacklisting FF due to Fox?

We're doing this for story reasons (required as part of the repositioning of the FF away from Fox)! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Try a search on comic vine for ultimates, should give a listing of the various volumes in reading order.

Here's a link to the first volume of the Ultimates, there's then the Ultimates 2 & 3 which followed from there.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-ultimates/4050-18327/

On phone so no link tags used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yeah I definitely peaked interest with Marvel after the Avengers movie.

But I used to watch all the cartoons as a kid, especially X-Men, as well as having "general" interest growing up. So if I was going to get into the MArvel comics, I'd like to atleast start with the characters I'm familiar yet, before starting something totally fresh.

Ant-man and Daredevil I guess arn't really on my radar. Didn't see the film, struggled with the current TV show. Similar to why I havn't jumped into Flash and Arrow, I find both the Tv shows terrible.

I'm taking my first Marvel dip with Deadpool today, have Volume 1 with me. Will probably finish that in one sitting, and then it will be onto Civil war. That is a pretty big book so will hopefully get me a long until next purchase.
    Just as a feeler, here is my current wishlist on Amazon for Marvel related reading.

I've most of the entire trades in the wishlish, but just have volume 1 here ( to save space)
      civil War (Actually have) Civil War - Amazing Spiderman Planet Hulk World War Hulk Captain America Winter Soldier Dossier Edition Wolverine - Enemy of the state Wolverine - Old man Logan Spier-Man Blue Hawkeye - My life as a weapon Volume 1 Thor - The God Butcher Volume 1 Secret Wars Avengers - Time Runs Out Volume 1 New Avengers - Everything Dies Volume 1 Infinity Volume 1 + 2 Star Wars - Death Vader Volume 1 Deadpool - Dead Presidents Volume 1

Sounds like you've got a good handle on where to start! Probably the next thing to do is read a couple of them, decide which ones are your favourite and come right back here for recommendations based on what you like!

Incidentally, I'd add Civil War: Wolverine to that list, based on what you're going for..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

You might want to go back a little bit with Avengers for when when Hickman started that story.

Avengers 1: Avengers World (not to be confused with the Avengers World series) which more or less runs alongside New Avengers 1: Everything Dies.
    They're currently being collected as hardcovers containing two volumes, which is where I'm at, and takes you through Infinity on the way to Secret Wars.

Avengers related( which I am interested in getting into) I have the following in my wishlist. Am I on the right track?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846536464/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=I32QSWJJLQH8ZB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785166610/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=I2NLPRUO0WUG1B

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846535662/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=IPP1H3DVT9WTA

Not really a fan of hardcovers to be honest. Got one and just prefer the paperback volumes.

(Amazon wishlist coupled with camelcamelcamel btw, so good. Seems to be some nice price drops happening for stuff I have planned to pickup down the line)

Avengers related( which I am interested in getting into) I have the following in my wishlist. Am I on the right track?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846536464/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=I32QSWJJLQH8ZB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785166610/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=I2NLPRUO0WUG1B

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1846535662/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3E6RAZ4QI67G3&coliid=IPP1H3DVT9WTA

Not really a fan of hardcovers to be honest. Got one and just prefer the paperback volumes.

(Amazon wishlist coupled with camelcamelcamel btw, so good. Seems to be some nice price drops happening for stuff I have planned to pickup down the line)

Go with what Ridley said:
    Ridley wrote: »
    You might want to go back a little bit with Avengers for when when Hickman started that story.

Avengers 1: Avengers World (not to be confused with the Avengers World series) which more or less runs alongside New Avengers 1: Everything Dies.
    They're currently being collected as hardcovers containing two volumes, which is where I'm at, and takes you through Infinity on the way to Secret Wars.

• Advertisement

Go with what Ridley said:

Right so scrap what I linked, and look into that instead?

Sounds ike a plan

This the one we are talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/0785166521/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441736743&sr=8-2&keywords=Avengers+1%3A+Avengers+World

Cause I also have that in my wishlist too haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Right so scrap what I linked, and look into that instead?

Sounds ike a plan

This the one we are talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/0785166521/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441736743&sr=8-2&keywords=Avengers+1%3A+Avengers+World

Cause I also have that in my wishlist too haha

I'd try Big Bang,Forbidden Planet,easons etc the exchange rate cost me a fortune recently and most trades are retailing at 14.99 or 19.99.

Might save a few quid towards the next one!

Antibac wrote: »
    I'd try Big Bang,Forbidden Planet,easons etc the exchange rate cost me a fortune recently and most trades are retailing at 14.99 or 19.99.

Might save a few quid towards the next one!

Oh yeah I do drop into the shop once a month for a purchase. I just get amazon vouchers and some discount a month too ;)

Easons though are expensive. Some of their stuff has been ok value. But like they are charging €21 for Deadool, that is €12 on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with the reboot starting this week and Secret Wars being delayed, apparently the new number 1s spoil the ending of Secret Wars. At least Invincible Iron Man does, according to ign. So I guess just a warning for anyone who doesn't want the ending of Secret Wars spoiled

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So with the reboot starting this week and Secret Wars being delayed, apparently the new number 1s spoil the ending of Secret Wars. At least Invincible Iron Man does, according to ign. So I guess just a warning for anyone who doesn't want the ending of Secret Wars spoiled

It's a real pain in the dick and not exactly new to Marvel. Like with Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. I'm a stickler for reading in order so I continued getting Lemire's Hawkeye but not reading it until Fraction's last issue came out. When it finally did, and I continued reading, I found I didn't really like Lemire's run so I stopped reading... But I had already spent money buying 4 or 5 issues, only to find out that I didn't really want them anymore.

I reckon similar will happen with this. I'll be a few issues deep into a few different titles before I actually get a chance to start reading them. Boo-urns...!

Same happened with Batman Eternal, I think, when you had some of the things from that popping up in the main books before Eternal finished. And then the entire Darkseid War in Justice League is set before the current Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman stories

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is the delay purely down to art?

I know Ribic is handling it all by himself (and it looks amazing) but surely an editor would step in at some point and appoint inkers/colourists...although it doesn't seem too well planned out if they added a ninth issue after it had begun.

Bad form from Marvel, especially for such a major event but none of the new titles seem that interesting to me so I think I might just wait out for the Secret Wars conclusion.

Is the delay purely down to art?

I know Ribic is handling it all by himself (and it looks amazing) but surely an editor would step in at some point and appoint inkers/colourists...although it doesn't seem too well planned out if they added a ninth issue after it had begun.

Bad form from Marvel, especially for such a major event but none of the new titles seem that interesting to me so I think I might just wait out for the Secret Wars conclusion.

Probably worth a thread of its own but I think there's some really interesting titles! I'm really looking forward to All New All Different Avengers (though, I'd read anything by Waid tbh), Astonishing Ant-Man (Spencer's run is 100% so far) and Doctor Strange (Jason Aaron writing Doctor Strange is just the best idea ever...).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Probably worth a thread of its own but I think there's some really interesting titles! I'm really looking forward to All New All Different Avengers (though, I'd read anything by Waid tbh), Astonishing Ant-Man (Spencer's run is 100% so far) and Doctor Strange (Jason Aaron writing Doctor Strange is just the best idea ever...).

Funnily enough I'll pick up Doctor Strange for Bachalo.

Edit: also agree that it's probably worth it's own thread.

Had a preview look at some of the new releases and they look interesting. Think I'll stick to my reading plans and look into this when they go into TPB.

• Advertisement

Maybe I missed it, but did they resolve the Tony as a d*ck storyline from Iron Man?

Advertisement