Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

seamus wrote: »
    They're covering the centre-left standpoint, which has traditionally been vacant or small in Ireland. The Greens and Labour have always stood in that space, but we've never had a large or cohesive party in that space in the same way that FG/FF stand in centre-right.

They're going for the "socially liberal, financially responsible" vote, which is probably the biggest vote out there, once you can convince people who are afraid to pick a "new" party.

At the moment, voters are more concerned about the financial aspect rather than the social one, so all of the parties will focus most of their time on that.

From what you say they sound like the only party that would remotely interest me, now personally I'm socially hard liberal and economically right leaning and I don't know if the Social Democrats fit that perfectly but they certainly appear to be as close as you'll get currently in Ireland.

The problem is though that people generally are afraid to pick a new party and what really frustrates me is people voting the same way mammy and daddy vote, I mean for jaysus sake it's not even your vote if you do that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Shrap wrote: »
    Just to clarify.....I assume you mean "HAHAHAHAHAHA, so are we" - Rest of Ireland ?

Bingo! ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I'm quite shocked at how socially conservative the candidates from FG/FF are in my electorate. With the exception of one woman, who is standing for FF. She seems totally incongruent with the rest of FF. I would never vote for FF, but if the same woman with the same views was standing for Labour, I'd consider voting for her.

sheep? wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself, in Wexford and trying hard to find a credible candidate. ("HAHAHAHAHAHA" - Rest of Ireland)

Cheers for sending that to Howlin, would you mind posting a reply if you get one? :)

No reply as yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

So, the second Leaders Debate was on last night, thoughts anyone?

Religion in education wasn't mentioned once, but not surprising as it doesn't seem to be a big issue for any of the parties.

• Advertisement

I saw a good bit of the debate and I found it very disappointing, from what I saw religion in education was totally ignored and so was abortion (apart from a mention by Boyd Barrett).

All they wanted to do last night was get as much populist bullshít in as possible, particularly about the economy and being tougher on crime (I might start praying myself if Lucinda ever gets the justice portfolio!),

It was rehearsed rhetoric all the way, very very bland stuff and on the back of that, impossible to declare a winner or even say that somebody done well. For me a politician has to break from script and say something of genuine value before they're even considered for praise, can't say I found any of them particularly encouraging last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I'm quite shocked at how socially conservative the candidates from FG/FF are in my electorate. With the exception of one woman, who is standing for FF. She seems totally incongruent with the rest of FF. I would never vote for FF, but if the same woman with the same views was standing for Labour, I'd consider voting for her.
    I'm surprised that you're shocked. I also doubt some of those candidates are as socially conservative as they say they are. They're appealing to a largely conservative country remember. Don't let the recent referendum fool you into thinking otherwise.
    robdonn wrote: »
    So, the second Leaders Debate was on last night, thoughts anyone?

Religion in education wasn't mentioned once, but not surprising as it doesn't seem to be a big issue for any of the parties.
    Nor was abortion.

It was rehearsed rhetoric all the way, very very bland stuff and on the back of that, impossible to declare a winner or even say that somebody done well. For me a politician has to break from script and say something of genuine value before they're even considered for praise, can't say I found any of them particularly encouraging last night.

I'm not very big into politics so take my opinion as "on first glance", but I think Stephen Donnelly did fairly well. I'm currently on the SocDem website trying to find out a little more about them but obviously their own promo website probably isn't a great indicator of how they would actually perform.

Lucinda was awful, it's like she was picking some of the worst policies from America and trying to transplant them here. She'll be wanting to privatise the prison system next.

Canadel wrote: »
    Nor was abortion.

I'm both surprised and not surprised by this. It's one of the biggest discussion in politics at the moment but it's also one of the most decisive, they would wipe out half their supporters no matter which way they went on it so it seemed best to ignore it.

Lucinda was awful, it's like she was picking some of the worst policies from America and trying to transplant them here. She'll be wanting to privatise the prison system next.
    Yeah that's the next logical step going by their already laid out policies. Horrible party. Hope they burn in hell. Politically speaking of course.
    I'm both surprised and not surprised by this. It's one of the biggest discussion in politics at the moment but it's also one of the most decisive, they would wipe out half their supporters no matter which way they went on it so it seemed best to ignore it.
    Instead of giving them 45 seconds at the end to speak about their general political priorities and promises, they should have had to speak specifically on abortion and about repealing the 8th. And inform them the camera will cut to the next candidate if they diverge from that issue. :pac:

• Advertisement

Canadel wrote: »
    Instead of giving them 45 seconds at the end to speak about their general political priorities and promises, they should have had to speak specifically on abortion and about repealing the 8th. And inform them the camera will cut to the next candidate if they diverge from that issue. :pac:

They'd probably prefer the camera cut away! :P

I'm not very big into politics so take my opinion as "on first glance", but I think Stephen Donnelly did fairly well. I'm currently on the SocDem website trying to find out a little more about them but obviously their own promo website probably isn't a great indicator of how they would actually perform.

Stephen Donnolly presented himself well, probably the best of the lot in that regard but it's the content that really counts and there was nothing inspirational from any of them last night.

But to be fair to them the questions were very unoriginal, again there was nothing about religion in schools or abortion which was very disappointing. I was waiting for those 2 questions in particular and neither came up, but then again RTE is a station which uses tax payers money to broadcast mass every Sunday and play the catholic call to prayer every day, so more fool me for expecting those questions.

Lucinda is in the wrong country, she should be looking for the Republican nomination.

Stephen Donnolly presented himself well, probably the best of the lot in that regard but it's the content that really counts and there was nothing inspirational from any of them last night.

But to be fair to them the questions were very unoriginal, again there was nothing about religion in schools or abortion which was very disappointing. I was waiting for those 2 questions in particular and neither came up, but then again RTE is a station which uses tax payers money to broadcast mass every Sunday and play the catholic call to prayer every day, so more fool me for expecting those questions.

Very true, it all just seemed to be the same old questions with the same old answers. I'm also not a very nationalistic person, so it drives me mad every time I hear 1916 being brought up in any of these discussions. This stupid attitude that the "founding fathers" had the perfect plan for Ireland and that we must uphold values that are 100 years old is ridiculous.
    Lucinda is in the wrong country, she should be looking for the Republican nomination.

I've seen comments calling her an Irish Sarah Palin.

================

Going through the SocDem website and I found these 2 videos on their positions on abortion and religion in school.

Very true, it all just seemed to be the same old questions with the same old answers. I'm also not a very nationalistic person, so it drives me mad every time I hear 1916 being brought up in any of these discussions. This stupid attitude that the "founding fathers" had the perfect plan for Ireland and that we must uphold values that are 100 years old is ridiculous.

I've seen comments calling her an Irish Sarah Palin.

Ye I can't stand politicians bladdering on about 1916 either, it's nothing more than cynical attempt to grab the juvenile 'Brits out' vote, this is 2016, shut the f up about 1916.

In all honesty Renua are a joke, Lucinda is masquerading around promising people a new type of politics when all Renua are, are an even more conservative version of FF and FG.
    Going through the SocDem website and I found these 2 videos on their positions on abortion and religion in school.

They're clear about wanting to remove the 8th ammendment and I hope they're genuine and won't jettison that commitment if they're negotiating to go into government but they're not clear on whether or not they're for abortion on demand (which I believe should be available).

Their stance on education is very mild, they're pushing for 'equal access', which should be a given but equal access to what, a catholic school? Ok they say that they want schools to provide for the needs of all parents in a particular area (or something to that effect) but practically speaking that can't be done. Secular schools provide neutral education which is fair for all, but the Social Democrats don't mention that.

I think they're on the right track but they are a little weak on education.

Any politician who states that they are happy with the status quo on abortion or opposes repealing the 8th, will never get a vote from me, no matter how capable they seem otherwise, but likewise if they are wishy washy about it, without any firm position or ignore the issue entirely, there is no way I will vote for them either. I would only vote for a candidate who satisfactorily reflects my position on abortion. If everyone on both sides of the fence took the same stance, a candidate who takes a definite position one side or the other might wipe out half their votes, but ignoring it or giving wishy/washy rhetoric, would potentially wipe out far more than half!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

This on the repeal of the 8th amendment:
    http://i.imgur.com/65DePKO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The Social Democrats have already put forth a motion in the Dail and have included in their mainfesto the repeal of Section 7 (3)(c) of the Equal Status Act 2000.

You may think (ah sure that only gets them in) but this would provide a FATAL blow to the churches hold over this state.

This is why Iona Institute are vociferous about providing non and multi-denominational schools. They want to distract. They don't want this touched!

Imagine the immediate and drastic reduction in Catholics in this country if the baptism barrier was removed. I dream of such a day.

If this falls - the issue of inclusion is a natural, logical and sequential event.

Zamboni wrote: »
    The Social Democrats have already put forth a motion in the Dail and have included in their mainfesto the repeal of Section 7 (3)(c) of the Equal Status Act 2000.

You may think (ah sure that only gets them in) but this would provide a FATAL blow to the churches hold over this state.

This is why Iona Institute are vociferous about providing non and multi-denominational schools. They want to distract. They don't want this touched!

Imagine the immediate and drastic reduction in Catholics in this country if the baptism barrier was removed. I dream of such a day.

If this falls - the issue of inclusion is a natural, logical and sequential event.

Thanks for that! I'm wavering again now. It's between them, Labour and an Independent in my area whose views match mine almost perfectly. I will give them 1,2and 3 but the order swings hourly at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I've emailed all the candidates in my local area. The Labour and Fianna Fail candidates gave me boiler-plate copy/paste response. Labour seems to think revoking rule 68 was a HUUUUGE deal. The independent gave me a personal response and stated outright that he supports the separation of church and state.

Why doesn't an atheist canditate run for election and promise to support your wishes?
    If it's the will of the people he/she will be elected if not well, that's democracy isn't it?

Why doesn't an atheist canditate run for election and promise to support your wishes?
    If it's the will of the people he/she will be elected if not well, that's democracy isn't it?

What, does a candidate have to be an atheist to support separation of church and state?

Also what is an atheist candidate? For me atheist is just a quick word used to describe someone who doesn't believe in any god, I don't attach any other meanings or political causes to the word atheist.

You can of course have candidates who happen to be atheist but I wouldn't just vote for them because of that, I'd need to know whether or not they shared the same views as me first, that's quite important.

• Advertisement

For anyone who feels like making their feelings known on Twitter or Facebook, I found these;

http://twibbon.com/support/repeal-the-eighth-amendment-2

http://twibbon.com/support/i-support-secular-schools/twitter

Separation of church and state is intended to protect religious liberty. It was created to stop the threat of one religion towards another, to avoid the possibility of having one state religion, and to keep religion and government separate. Effectively it was designed to protect religion far more than atheism or anti-theism. In theory, every religious person should strongly support separation of church and state. The 1st amendment is probably the greatest piece of legislation ever written and Ireland would be a much better off society with something similar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

remember everyone

Cb0CHbnW0AAc7zL-1-768x576.jpg

Cabaal wrote: »
    remember everyone

What constituency is he running in?

The constituency in all our hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cabaal wrote: »
    remember everyone

Is he running this time? I thought he retired 2000 yrs ago on massive pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Joan Burton thinks she'll get bills pass that weren't passed in the 31st Dail with even less TDs http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/2016/0222/770028-joan-burton/ and FG with their promise of Admissions and Innovation BIll want to stuf more things in it to get it passed

sheep? wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself, in Wexford and trying hard to find a credible candidate. ("HAHAHAHAHAHA" - Rest of Ireland)

Cheers for sending that to Howlin, would you mind posting a reply if you get one? :)

Still no reply from Mr Howlin. I want to vote Labour, so unfortunately I will have to vote for him.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the update. I still have no clear idea myself to be honest, and it ain't for lack of searching. :(

Advertisement