Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland F'n Rocks

Options
  • 13-04-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

/tourist

No really. It's a goddamn shame we don't have have the scenery that's in Ireland or any other place in Europe. Ireland memorializes its structures more than in the states. For instance, in a small city close to where I grew up they're looking to tear down one of the oldest buildings in the state. By comparison, I see Ireland either preserving it or simply keeping the outer structure and using it for some other business. Where here it would simply demolished entirely. There's no regard for history here.
    That's just an example. I just want to say, I love eireann.

Comments

You haven't seen crystal swing yet have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

/tourist

No really. It's a goddamn shame we don't have have the scenery that's in Ireland or any other place in Europe. Ireland memorializes its structures more than in the states. For instance, in a small city close to where I grew up they're looking to tear down one of the oldest buildings in the state. By comparison, I see Ireland either preserving it or simply keeping the outer structure and using it for some other business. Where here it would simply demolished entirely. There's no regard for history here.

How do you 'memorializes' a structure in Wisconsin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

How do you 'memorializes' a structure in Wisconsin ?

You spell "memorialize" correctly for one thing....

You don't tear it down for more farmland for another.

You haven't seen crystal swing yet have you?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It'd be a great country if ya could only roof it.

• Advertisement

Conversely, the US has amazing natural scenery. See Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Conversely, the US has amazing natural scenery. See Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon etc.

hah if i wanted to see a big gash id go to Amsterdam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Glad to see you're enjoying the place since you got here!.. so, you didn't mention bombs, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

/tourist

That's just an example.

Here neither. Unless it serves the tourism industry. You fell for it, didn't you?
    I just want to say,
    I love eireann.

Bus Eireann? Iarnrod Eireann? Met Eireann? Dail Eireann? Raidio Teilifis Eireann?
    You can't be serious.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

/tourist

Will you ever f-off, Ireland is a rotting dump with about as much charm as an Alsatian after a botched head swap operation. I was glad to escape when I did!
    Ever been to NYC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

This thread is wrong for so many reasons!

*Grabs coat and plane ticket*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Orange69 wrote: »
    Will you ever f-off, Ireland is a rotting dump with about as much charm as an Alsatian after a botched head swap operation. I was glad to escape when I did!
    Ever been to NYC?

you must like something about it if you're posting on an Irish site. Anyway where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

/tourist

I know we do a lot of bitching here wrt to Ireland and you do make some salient points. Unfortunately however we're not comparing ourselves with the United States (or other 3rd world plantations). We're annoyed because we woke up one morning and were told the bad news that our entire "economic miracle" was a complete lie and that we actually fell short of our of countries we should have aspired to be more like (places like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Germany etc).

So don't get me wrong. I wake up every morning, have a shower, dry my balls on my United States flag towel and thank Void I'm living in Ireland rather than America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

You should go and check out Newgrange, it's a really quick trip now they've built a motorway through it, and the road is always lovely and quiet because all the spackers who bought houses out there on 95% mortgages at the height of the boom have lost their jobs and aren't clogging up traffic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

tis a beautiful country when the sun shines but ran by fools into the ground.

Go to Killarney :D

Hahaha, well I guess it's easy to praise it if I dont live here. It would be the same thing if one of you came to the US and starting singing its praises. I'm just going off off the scenery and the simple fact that....I'm here. I guess I have the advantage of not actually living here so I don't have to deal with the politcs. But no matter what, it's pretty to look at.

And yeah the US isn't without its natural beauty; I guess I'm just floored at all the castles and natural structures that trump the US.

Hahaha, well I guess it's easy to praise it if I dont live here. It would be the same thing if one of you came to the US and starting singing its praises. I'm just going off off the scenery and the simple fact that....I'm here. I guess I have the advantage of not actually living here so I don't have to deal with the politcs. But no matter what, it's pretty to look at.

And yeah the US isn't without its natural beauty; I guess I'm just floored at all the castles and natural structures that trump the US.

America (north, south and in between) is full of natural structures, natural beauty and history - if you look beyond the highways and shopping malls and deeper into the history of this continent.

You can't have castles like in Europe, because there was no european culture over there when castles were all the rage over here. But there was a different culture with different structures. Remember?

It's not a competition. The world is full of different cultures and sceneries. And the grass is always greener... blah....

But good on you that you like Ireland. Hope you spent a lot of money here. We need it desperately. That's why we keep all the structures and lead you to all the stunning cliffs and ruins plus visitor centres and charge you a fortune to see them... :p

Guys, we should cherish this tourist. Might be the last one who thinks Ireland is great. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

You Americans and your castles :D
    What do you think of the price of things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

/tourist

And we love u too Mr. Wisonsin. Come to Ireland any time. Hope things are good. I really want to go to the Mojave desert some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No really. It's a goddamn shame we don't have have the scenery that's in Ireland or any other place in Europe.

Quit whining. You have the Packers.

/end thread.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Quit whining. You have the Packers.

/end thread.

Yeah... that doesn't help.

Actually the first two people I told I was from Wisconsin thought of That 70's Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Jebus, glad to see people are willing to begrudge everything that is in Ireland! Sure our economy sucks at the moment and we have a bunch of arseholes throughout the country but one thing we were blessed with is spectacular scenery.

Now I know you folks in the Pale can only see the far distant beauty of the Wicklow mountains on a clear day, but down South and around the Western Coast are sights in our backgarden that are tough to beat anywhere in the world.

I have been all around America and don't doubt for a second that when it comes to shear amazement at the massive size of something then Grand Canyon or Glacier Point in Yosemite come close to first place (second place is the size of my lad). However if you talk to many Californians for instance, they will say that the drive along Big Sur offers some of Americas best views. To that I feel sorry for them because the Ring of Beara in West Cork beats seven shades of ****e out of the Big Sur drive for awesomeness! Oh and if you want size, then go up to Cliffs of Moher. Nothing on either coast in the US can compare.
    Finally, head up to Giants Causeway, built by actual giants!

fontanalis wrote: »
    You Americans and your castles :D
    What do you think of the price of things?

It's for the most part on par with prices back home if I don't consider the exchange rate. There are somethings that are costly no matter what, but for the most part, there hasn't been any real reason to complain.

Carry wrote: »
    America (north, south and in between) is full of natural structures, natural beauty and history - if you look beyond the highways and shopping malls and deeper into the history of this continent.

You can't have castles like in Europe, because there was no european culture over there when castles were all the rage over here. But there was a different culture with different structures. Remember?

It's not a competition. The world is full of different cultures and sceneries. And the grass is always greener... blah....

But good on you that you like Ireland. Hope you spent a lot of money here. We need it desperately. That's why we keep all the structures and lead you to all the stunning cliffs and ruins plus visitor centres and charge you a fortune to see them... :p

Guys, we should cherish this tourist. Might be the last one who thinks Ireland is great. :D

LOL. You're welcome My contributions to the Spar will keep you going for the next decade. I know what I'm saying is pretty narrow minded, and I know and acknoweldge full well that the US isn't without its beauty, but there's still something captivating about Europe that interests me that the US doesn't have. It's just something that's special to me. (considering I'm a fantasy nerd too...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

they're looking to tear down one of the oldest buildings in the state.

whats the building.

Panda wrote: »
    whats the building.
    Israel Stowell Temperance house in Delavan, WI. It's literally as old as the State itself. I'm not even sure what its used for. As the name implies though it was probably used to privately brew alcohol during the 20s (though the building itself is older).

The new mayor-elect wants to have it registered with the county historical society and have it touched up, so at least he sees value in it. They were really close to tearing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Don't forget our world famous Viking settlement and museum on Wood Quay, the pride of our government and people.

D-Generate wrote: »
    Jebus, glad to see people are willing to begrudge everything that is in Ireland

It's understandable. If you live here, it's easy to take it for granted. It's just part of your every day life. You're not in the position foreigners are to come and view things they've never seen before. I'm glad some of the natives can appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

You spell "memorialize" correctly for one thing....

Yeah, "memorialise"

• Advertisement

LOL. You're welcome My contributions to the Spar will keep you going for the next decade. I know what I'm saying is pretty narrow minded, and I know and acknoweldge full well that the US isn't without its beauty, but there's still something captivating about Europe that interests me that the US doesn't have. It's just something that's special to me. (considering I'm a fantasy nerd too...)

Nah, it's not narrowminded, just the enthusiasm of a tourist:D
    You're welcome to it. Every little helps...

Spar isn't Irish, it's a chain originally from the Netherlands, but that's Europe for you. Being a pedant sort of...

So you are a shoestring-tourist? You are the one to accommodate really. Irish tourism had it's eyes always on the rich guys - milking them no end, "value for money" was a term just for brown envelopes.

But it's always the shoestring-guys who pave the way for the masses who bring the money.
    Not that the Irish tourist board would notice...

So Mr/Ms Wisconsin, I'm glad you enjoy Ireland. It's a great country - or so... :D

And do come back when you are filthy rich, please?

Advertisement