Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you be taught to sing?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I was born with a slight hearing loss, and found this inhibited me from being able to sing. Sure, I can sing your typical irish trad songs when drunk, but "actual" singing doesn't really happen (from taping my own singing, it's pretty much all one tone, just loud and not so loud). Thus I'm wondering if it's possible for someone to learn how to sing, and/or mimic someone who can, if they've never being able to sing before?

Just something I've always wondered, but never really asked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yes, you can learn.

Obviously the ear is really important in terms of being able to replicate notes accurately. But because good singing is a blend of an accurate ear and using the right muscles/places in your body, then it can absolutely be taught to you. It varies from person to person on how long it takes but it you want to do it, then you can. And if you're willing to really apply yourself, then you can.

I have worked with many singers who have a whole range of physical problems. I've always had a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

I personally have found that people with a dodgy ear take an awful lot longer to progress and on several occasions, even after a few years of lessons, if they were to sing in public, most people would probably think they're not very good, even though the people who taught them, and they themselves would know how far they've come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I am a terrible singer, but I had always wanted to be a frontman in a band. So I decided to get some singing lessons. After about 4 months I could sing 2 or 3 songs to an OK standard. My technique definitely improved but I was still quite crap overall. To me it felt like I was learning a new instrument. Just because I could sing one song, didn't mean I could sing any song I wanted or that I had suddenly become a singer.

If you practise enough though, like anything, you will get better at it.

Advertisement