Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what music when riding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

some interesting replies. ended up going for some metallica (older stuff) ratm, prodigy and a couple of random songs that were on there anyway.
    @seaswimmer - i came home the long way today for a change. 62km. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Radio generally. RTE/Newstalk. Earbud in the inner side of the road for traffic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

11.7km commute each way with two or three 40km evening spins in the week. Right now I'm listening to electronic/dubstep, house or metal. A lot of tracks are from MTB movies. When they come on it seems to just click and get me going lol.

I've got Data Romance, Germany Germany, Magnetic Man, Skrillex, deadmau5, David Guetta, Chase & Status, Pryda, Nero and DIM to name a few on the electronic-dance side and on the metal side just some Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine.

Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime
    REID - Diptera
    Chase & Status - Blind Faith
    D.I.M. - Is You (Le Castle Vania Remix)
    Germany Germany - River
    Moby - Wait For Me (Paul Kalkbrenner Remix)
    Nero - Promises
    Nero - Me & You
    Data Romance - The Deep
    Data Romance - Streetlight
    Magnetic Man - I Need Air
    Magnetic Man - Anthemic
    Boysetsfire - Rookie
    Alice In Videoland - We Are Rebels
    Killaflaw - Set Me On Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭g0g

Weird, two and a half pages with a thread title like that and not one Marvin Gaye joke or similar! :pac:

Back OT, I've only ever listened to music once while cycling - I find I don't hear cars coming otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

How can you listen to music on the bike!!!

Christ do you really think thats a good idea? I think anyone who does so is crazy and reckless.

• Advertisement

Christ do you really think thats a good idea? I think anyone who does so is crazy and reckless.

Yes. Surrounding sound is not fully drowned out (no more than riding a motorbike with helmet and ear plugs. I find I can still hear pretty well what's going on.

Anyway, I don't really want to start an argument over wearing or not wearing earphones when cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 i prefer to keep my ears to hear traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've ridden without earphones, with earphone in but no sound (when the battery dies), and with earphones in and playing music.

I've found no subjective difference between the three in reality, my ability to hear traffic is identical in all cases because without earphones the wind creates a lot of noise in your ears anyway.

Though I don't listen to it particularly loud, just enough that I can no longer hear my bike creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

seamus wrote: »
    Though I don't listen to it particularly loud, just enough that I can no longer hear my bike creaking.

Funny though. You can never drown out the sounds of your joints creaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

I've ridden without earphones, with earphone in but no sound (when the battery dies), and with earphones in and playing music.

I've found no subjective difference between the three in reality, my ability to hear traffic is identical in all cases because without earphones the wind creates a lot of noise in your ears anyway.

Is that your bike or your body doing the creaking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Totally +1. There is no substitute for looking over your shoulder when making a maneuver so I can't see why not being able to hear should make you any less safe. You can still hear important things (sirens being one) unless you are a complete muppet and wear a big pair of noise cancelling jobbies. I think people "feel" less safe rather than actually being any more at risk.

Having said that, I was behind a guy on my way home yesterday and a girl crossed in front of him, back to traffic, ipod in. Despite ringing his bell and shouting she kept going and he was forced to take evasive action (segregated facilities don't leave you with too many escape routes). We had a chuckle about it at the lights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Subjective is the key word there, you'd need some kind of objective test to know for sure one way or the other. I suspect it depends on volume, type of earphones, etc... If you're looking over your shoulder for any manoeuvre involving crossing traffic, i'd doubt its going to make much of a difference.

I don't listen to music cycling, purely out of habit, but might change that for some of the longer solo country spins where zoning out can become an issue, and a bit of music might actually help. Was thing of something like this to avoid the annoyance of headphones, but it looks pretty awful. My wife is fancies a radio for her bike, so I'll doubtless borrow it to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

lennymc wrote: »
    I think songs with a beat per minute of roughly twice your cadence are good for training. Born slippy is a great oul song, i could listen to it on repeat....

Bingo! I listen to loads of different stuff, but jungle is the most effective as Im usually aiming for a cadence of about 80, and early jungle runs at 160-170 bpm, so a decent jungle mix with no gaps between the tunes is perfect.

Something like born slippy is in the 130's, techno/house in general runs between 130-140, hip hope is usually in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Extended mix of "tour de France" is a great tune for up hill.

Cycling and music is such a natural high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

Since I started using my road bike ,I've stopped using headphones and find it easier to cycle without them. I actually discovered my front break was loose because I didn't have them on.
    Can't see myself ever using them again, it's just to hard to focus on everything with a noise in my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    it's just to hard to focus on everything with a noise in my ear.

im married, so quite good at zoning out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

uberalles wrote: »
    Extended mix of "tour de France" is a great tune for up hill.

Reportage sur moto...

Camera , video et foto...

:D
    This version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

langdang wrote: »
    Reportage sur moto...

Camera , video et foto...

:D
    This version?

==========

Best version - 8 mins ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0al9-89ovE

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Colmhayden76

I don't often listen to music when on the road but when I'm out on the mtb I'd always listen to music. All time favorite is Queens of the Stone Age but my wife bought me the ultimate angry album that is great for long climbs : Lulu by Lou Reed and Metallica check it out:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Since I started using my road bike ,I've stopped using headphones and find it easier to cycle without them. I actually discovered my front break was loose because I didn't have them on.Can't see myself ever using them again, it's just to hard to focus on everything with a noise in my ear.

I'll only use headphones in daylight, won't cycling in the dark with them on. But now that the morning's are brighter and I got my headphones in my bottom bracket creaking and clicking has magically gone away, although I forget to trim the FD quite a lot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

colm_gti wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, but what headphones do you use that don't fall out? My iPhone headphones are useless for popping out :o

FFS your ears are the problem there not the headphones. Get better ears and stop blaming Apple for your woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

coolbeans wrote: »
    FFS your ears are the problem there not the headphones. Get better ears and stop blaming Apple for your woes.

The iphone/ipod headphones are notoriously sh*t, they are exceptionally tinny, have little or no bass and they leak like sieves. Another common problem is that they fall out of the ear as there's no rubber or foam padding.

Most in-ear phones come with a set of rubber covers of different sizes so you can adjust the padding to suit your ears. Even low range seinnheisers or sonys will have 2 or 3 sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

This has been on a random loop in my head the last few spins.

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

If no helmet was a 5% risk listening to music podcast radio while cycling in my opinion would rate at about 75%. particuarly in urban roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Don't use them while cycling but do when running. 30 seconds to mars is great to run to imo. Also if it's cold enough out I use my buff pulled over my mouth and ears to hold the iPod earphones in.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

Hi Lenny...Friz here...

What I've been doing lately is downloading long ass r&b and hip-hop mixes (2 or 3 hours in length). Not really my top genre for enjoyment, but the length and the constant beat are excellent for cadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭worded

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Tiesto podcast. Nowt better.

Never heard of him til now.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/officialtiesto?ob=4

Id swap my bike for his job anyday.

5.5 hour DJ set in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Skip to 17mins 39 sec

then 30min 35sec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

LCD Soundsystem - 45.33

nice 10 min warm up period and 5 min warm down at the the end.
    wish it was longer though. album title is the duration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOjhPvqxrU (to give you a taster)

Advertisement