Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Walking Dead Season 5 (WILL contain spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

It was a pretty good episode, the Abraham backstory was interesting. Hope Eugene isn't hurt too bad, feel sorry for him to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

So Eugene just took away Abraham's sole reason for living. What happens next? :eek:

Just had a great thought. Remember ages ago, when we had only just met Abraham and company and a "panicked" Eugene ****ed up their truck with a rifle? Nah, he was trying to delay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

liked it, you cant have every episode ala the termites....well you could for us here, but not the plebs! ;)

on a seperate note, i am more and more convinced eugene (the scientist) is nothing more that a gamer from his moms basement....maybe a conspiracy/gamer lol

Well called!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

It was hard to see what they were confronted with there towards the end. Was it just like endless fields of walkers?

Yeah next time I'm sitting closer to the tv :)

Also Eugene perving was disturbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Glen: You just...know stuff?

Brilliant.

I quite like Eugine, but he mightn't be so smart if he has frontal lobe damage from that wound on his head. A smarter man might not have finished his confession by looking at the biggest meanest guy you've duped for the longest and saying 'I am smarter than you'. I thought he was going to get shot in the face to be honest.

And yes, it was hard to see but it was thousands of walkers.

• Advertisement

Look at the name of the books to the left of Eugene. Foreshadowing?

9y5WFux.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Must watch this episode again. Either I missed something or it was totally pointless, apart from the no cure thing. I mean, he could have told the truth without the need of a separate episode for themselves.

Again on Glenn and Maggie. True survivors, happy couple since season two !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Barna77 wrote: »
    Must watch this episode again. Either I missed something or it was totally pointless, apart from the no cure thing. I mean, he could have told the truth without the need of a separate episode for themselves.

Again on Glenn and Maggie. True survivors, happy couple since season two !

It was one of the most sense. It showed Why Abraham was so driven and that they dont really have Any hope left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I had a few issues with this episode, my least favourite of S05 so far, but I liked the few bits Glenn had to do/say. More Glenn please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i liked it, i think there is more to the abraham story...why would his wife leave him if he killed guys who were trying to rob them or worse? you would have thought that is a resume enhancer post z apocalypse. i suspect abraham killed them for the tins of food and with the tins without any real provocation, hence her fear.

also i do think he is infected...a cut hand using the knife on z's outside the bus. (as in he gets sick from a hand infection and whamo)

the 'self help' part was hilarious and also the other sections, adventure romance....etc etc.

the issue now is they cant go back as rick and crew may go another way leading to a whole new mess and the herd stops them going forward.

that was a real face plant by eugene, ouch.....

• Advertisement

i suspect abraham killed them for the tins of food and with the tins without any real provocation, hence her fear.

I think they said on the Talking Dead that while Abraham was looking for supplies, the others (who were neighbours and friends pre-apocalypse) raped the wife and daughter.

As for why she took the kids and fled, I don't know. Terrified of a side of Abraham she hadn't seen before, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i was leaning in that direction too, he had just beaten a guy to death with a tin of beans.. pretty hard to see something like that and not be scared

Well being scared got his family eaten then.

I think the overall stupidity of people in the program is putting me off it a bit
    Everyone seems to do things in a slow manner and a daze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

allibastor wrote: »
    I think the overall stupidity of people in the program is putting me off it a bit
    Everyone seems to do things in a slow manner and a daze

I Feel the same way. At this stage of the show they should all be seasoned Z survivors, I should not be shouting at the TV telling them to cop on :)

I wonder what obvious things will be run over in tonight when Daryl and Carol go to the hospital

They did an awful job of making the
    van flip
    look convincing. Really broke the immersion when it
    cut to how it landed.

Pretty cool seeing
    Rick's tank
    sitting in the street though.

Carol getting smacked down by the car, that actually made me jump ..ffs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

An improvement after last week's episode.

Ah Daryl, had a day date with Beth now finally with Carol :D

Am I alone thinking
    that it was Morgan hiding
    when they got in the van?

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    They did an awful job of making the
    van flip
    look convincing. Really broke the immersion when it
    cut to how it landed.

Pretty cool seeing
    Rick's tank
    sitting in the street though.

I don't see how its a spoiler.

One thing I don't understand though, is after years of travel with the group, why do they end up not actually going very far from Atlanta.
    They seem to be on the same run of road all the time and Never moving too far away, Yet they seem to find new places all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

One thing I don't understand though, is after years of travel with the group, why do they end up not actually going very far from Atlanta.
    They seem to be on the same run of road all the time and Never moving too far away, Yet they seem to find new places all the time.

I could be wrong but I think they spent the best part of a year on the farm and then at least a year in the prison which accounts for most of their time "on the road".

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I think they spent the best part of a year on the farm and then at least a year in the prison which accounts for most of their time "on the road".

Yeah, No I get that.
    But things like how they didn't know the prison was there, or the town of Woodberry, or any of the places they seem to happen on.

They spend most of the time near the City of Atlanta, yet seem to find new areas near by

First post with information on the new episode, so I did it as a courtesy.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    First post with information on the new episode, so I did it as a courtesy.

I did the very same last week, fair dues!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The thing you have to remember is that America is huge, it would take a person a few days to walk across Ireland and it takes months to walk across America. they still have large areas of wilderness, it's really nothing like Ireland were you wouldn't walk 20 minutes without coming across another house or town.

Americans are also terrible drivers:pac:, the speed limit on some main roads in America is 35mph, so they're not used to traveling at anything more than a snails pace in a car and they're barely able to keep their cars on the road at that speed.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing you have to remember is that America is huge, it would take a person a few days to walk across Ireland and it takes months to walk across America. they still have large areas of wilderness, it's really nothing like Ireland were you wouldn't walk 20 minutes without coming across another house or town.

Americans are also terrible drivers:pac:, the speed limit on some main roads in America is 35mph, so they're not used to traveling at anything more than a snails pace in a car and they're barely able to keep their cars on the road at that speed.

???

So how would that account for a cop (Rick) not knowing of a local(ish) prison.

Also, Georgia county, where it is set, is big, but mainly farming land. The walking dead crew never seem to be too far from Atlanta so it boggles me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So how would that account for a cop (Rick) not knowing of a local(ish) prison.
    No one could know where all the prisons are in America, there are around 200,000 of them apparently.

They seem to be basically hiding out in woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Is Rick local though? Didn't he have to travel to Atlanta in season one to find his family?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

small town sheriff in Georgia, Atlanta being one of the major cities there but yeah he had to travel from where he met Morgan and his son to the city then back out with Glenn and co to the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

firstly sorry for the long post.

Honestly i can see why you would stay localish. i always got the impression they were around 100 to 150 miles from Atlanta at a max and that would make sense to me. Their main focus is survival, safety, food and supplies.

Firstly stay with what you know or are at least familiar with. why pick another state where you know very little about on towns and more importantly citizen counts, unfortunately now zombie counts? there is a lot of this hinted at in the series (e.g. Abraham bumping into the herd by the farm when they were in the fire truck, they didnt know about it, they smelt it) at least that's the way i understood it. In the series, they had detailed local maps and were tracking herds (around the time looking for Sophie) and the herds were limiting their movement, but they knew the surroundings or were familiar with them. When Merle and Daryl left the group they knew the river locations as they had hunted there before. Also i think travelling at any speed is tough if not impossible. you keep running into blockages on the roads and the last thing you want is to try and tread your way through a monster motorway pileup only to be caught in the middle with car bound zombies calling herds from miles around and no way out and no clear fields of fire, even if you have enough ammunition. so they stick to the back roads but even then fuel is a limiter. i can see your main issue is to survive, very little else would even register -- it would all be about needs not wants. if i look at it like, would i feel the need to goto Dublin a year after a Z disaster...er, nope. what will you find except more Z's and the added complication of nutty survivors and getting stuck. Best to stay away but yet, not too far because all of the needs of a city are on the outskirts generally. Lots and lots of smallish towns that have the same supplies but with considerably less risk and its easy to get away.

one of the issues i always had was why would Rick not ask about how it started so they can fill the story line in but in reality would you care? That is me wanting the back story and also it happened so fast what really would anyone know. In reality i think here is your day. you just spent 12 hours of daylight smashing skulls and getting covered in gore, smelling rotten meat all day, sitting in it in your car, sneaking, avoiding anyone or anything, looking for clean water (a dwindling resource) , looking for anything to eat, avoiding any survivors, looking for fuel, you are hungry bordering on starving, thirsty bordering on death, exhausted, so exhausted, and so fecking pissed off and then you cant sleep because the zombies never sleep. Same every day, day in, day out. You are filthy and feel it (and thats not just a first world problem , its a health issue), you are sick all the time, think constant cold, flu's, suffering from a lack of vitamins, you have just regressed hundreds of years and are now experiencing why people didnt travel then. its not only that travel was difficult, why would you bother? i can get what i need here the rest has too many unknowns. Also the absolute last thing you would want over a meal with your friends (oh yes, you just lost another who never came home or someone who came back had a small bite (he swears it was a dog) and you might need to dispatch him) is a fireside chat about zombies and how it started. in fact you would want to talk about anything but zombies. Maybe you eat your meagre food supply again the constant smell of dead and rotten meat, its dark, the food tastes off but you decide to risk it, someone else is now badly sick, what do you do, you now have to watch them like a hawk in case they die. (always was amazed they didnt force people to sleep with a leather patch over their mouth or a pervy ball gag at night in case they turn but i digress). you bite down and feel pain, reach in and pull one of your teeth out (vitamin deficiency) also there is the fear that some zombie followed your car in a rough direction and is now heading your way picking up their mates as they go and will find you ala the farm. it might be summer and you know, just know, come winter, your group is in deep sh1t, you wont be able to go far for food, limited daylight and you barely have enough now in summer with fresh food from the country (think berries, animals etc). you are constantly on edge, constant adrenaline rushes (not good for your health), fights, shootings, people who just decide they have had enough. you would have to be on constant guard -- and thats from your friends. now you might use some of those issues above as an argument to move.

Why goto another state? its just the same except now you have absolutely no knowledge about your surroundings and where the main herds are. its just more risk you absolutely dont want to take, you do that every day by going out. As for not knowing the prison, yes that was always a bit weak IMHO but then again if you asked me where for example power plants were in Kildare or Meath or Wexford or military bases (other then the Curragh) i would not have a fecking clue. Now i would have expected Rick to know there was a prison there or thereabouts or Daryl or Merle since they no doubt visited it or had friends there ;) but i digress. perhaps the simple things are lost because of the constant pressure, until, literally they appear in front of you, like the prison.

so for me it makes some sense. stick with what you know and where to goto to get away from Z. why move, they you just have to do the same, except now you dont know where you are going. whats over the next hill? another herd? a road block? cannibals?, dictatorship (ala north korea), rapists, murderers or even worse? So best to not bother, it just rather basic risk assessments, food, fuel, water and possibly safety is here, no sense in risking loosing all that by moving.

They and by correlation, you, really have entered a world where literally the edge of your maps should be marked with 'dere be dragons' or pictures of the edge of the world where you fall off. its just far far too risky. i really can see the only reason ala the series why you would goto 'somewhere' (in their case DC) is because it offers something you absolutely need, namely, safety, food security and the a way to get back to the old days (remember Eugene said there were supplies for years and it was safe and a cure). that is an illusion but a powerful one. You would want to believe anything and i mean anything, (think Jim Jones religious nuts curing the Z's) but it would be what people would strive for and i think its actually whats driving the police in the hospital. they are expending huge resources on living in a dream world (pressed clothes, neat and clean), the leader even exercises on a treadmill (real first world issues) rather than go out and get fit and see the world for what it is. Thats why she is clinging onto the past and yet the horrible truth is actually shown by the rapist guy...thats what the world is now, brutal and primal and cruel. Its one of the reasons i love TWD, its not just a series of skull cracking, yes there is a lot of that but the most dangerous people are the living and the nightmares they bring. what other tv series would show an absolutely abhorrent disgusting rapist and have him representing the world as it is after the apocalypse ? to be fair that was a risky story not just for worldwide audiences but for US audiences. kinda surprised there was not more web rage about it to be honest.

anyways just my opinion, which probably shows why i would not survive!! LOL

TL;DR: why bother just more Z's except now you are lost.

ps: just think stay in your town or meet the people from this zombie board!! LOL lets be honest we are not the most stable bunch here!!! more like to crack your skull open first...also there is a few here who i suspect are in the Gareth league..YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! :)

• Advertisement

One of the main complaints I hear about TWD is that the characters make some really bone headed decisions. I, personally, don't think it's as bad as other people would have you believe.

Having said that, I don't think even Carl has ****ed up on the level that Sasha just did.

Advertisement