Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IDFPA Single Lifts

• 04-02-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭

Any results?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

COH wrote: »
    Any results?

You c*nt. I was opening this hoping you were giving results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Reckon someone's gonna give Vis an award for his pisstakingly high opener of 285kg. Unbelievable. Deads are still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭daveyc21

Great competition huge amount of people down. Lots of highlights for Ironside. We had 6 first timers competing. One of our guys won the under 90kg deadlift just pipping vis vires from here I believe. A couple of other guys winning their classes and a couple of records in there. The highlight for me was seeing James Hickey pull a huge 320kg deadlift! Well organised with very little stoppages and a great starting point for any new lifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

what weight was james hickey?

• Advertisement

This is how I got on anyway. Taken from my log just there:

Today - IDFPAs. Got 2.5 hours sleep last night. Exhausted.

Squat
    First lift - 130kg
    Second lift - 140kg
    Third lift - 150kg

Bench
    First lift - 80kg
    Second lift - 90kg
    Third lift - 95kg

100kg defo woulda been there.

Deadlift
    First lift - 150kg
    Second lift - 160kg
    Third lift - 170kg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is how I got on anyway. Taken from my log just there:

Fair play horse. First comp?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

daveyc21 wrote: »
    Great competition huge amount of people down. Lots of highlights for Ironside. We had 6 first timers competing. One of our guys won the under 90kg deadlift just pipping vis vires from here I believe. A couple of other guys winning their classes and a couple of records in there. The highlight for me was seeing James Hickey pull a huge 320kg deadlift! Well organised with very little stoppages and a great starting point for any new lifter.

Dave, what numbers did the girls post? Come on...you knew Id be asking:D:D Have to scope out my competition

Fair play horse. First comp?

Yep! Was hoping for a 400kg total and managed 415 so I'm chuffed!

Heard thru the grapevine there was 120-140 ppl lifting yesterday. Unreal!! What time did lifting finish?

• Advertisement

Bout 8:30ish. I left at 8:15 and they were on the last few deadlifts at that stage. Probably about 6 people left to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I though the arse had fallen out of the IDFPA? Obviously not based on those lifter numbers and if there are guys pulling 320kg+, it must still be a competitive environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

J-Fit wrote: »
    I though the arse had fallen out of the IDFPA? Obviously not based on those lifter numbers and if there are guys pulling 320kg+, it must still be a competitive environment?

Stronger than ever in every sense. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

James Hickey is a beast, he went for 325kg after that but couldn't budge it. He wasn't helped for the fact it was after 8pm but this was down to sheer volume of lifters. Whoever runs this Comp next year will have to run 2 platforms and I hope the guys in Killarney do that for this years 3 lift nationals.

Your lad Rob is one of the most talented guys I've seen for a long time, he still seemed to be lifting within himself. Anthony's the type to welcome a challenge like that so hopefully we'll get to see a few more battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Yep! Was hoping for a 400kg total and managed 415 so I'm chuffed!

Well done. What weight did you compete in?

Well done. What weight did you compete in?

Cheers! Competed in the 82.5kg category. Coulda stood a chance at placing if I'd dropped 2.5kg and gotten under 75kg so I might actually make that effort neext time!

http://www.idfpa.plus.com/Irish_Single_Lifts_2012.pdf

I see Anto only got pipped because he didn't play it safe and chase another medal. Fair Play to him for attempting to pull the trigger on something huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I hear they tested some fella so full of drugs his hair turned green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

JayRoc wrote: »
    I hear they tested some fella so full of drugs his hair turned green.

I heard his calves were so small that they immediately returned a negative sample on his test.

It took him 45 minutes to complete his piss test. Roughly the same amount of time to complete his last squat. :pac:

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LOsGtXOLU

One of our best powerlifters James Hickey breaking a World record in Gorey, one of the highlights of the day.

Skull wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LOsGtXOLU

One of our best powerlifters James Hickey breaking a World record in Gorey, one of the highlights of the day.

Did he squat and squat and bench too? How'd he get on?

Hanley wrote: »

Squatted 210 and benched 160. I didn't see them but the deadlift really was great to see. Made it look easy.

http://www.idfpa.plus.com/Irish_Single_Lifts_2012.pdf

I see Anto only got pipped because he didn't play it safe and chase another medal. Fair Play to him for attempting to pull the trigger on something huge!!

Normally I wouldn't bother but this is a thinly veiled attempt to belittle Rob's achievement in the single lifts because he is a member of Ironside. I'm not trying to play down Anthony's talent he is a super lifter and of course I admire him going for the 302.5kg record but that 285kg was clearly supposed to get him the medal. Even by his standards it wasn't a modest opener. I'm sure on the day Anthony could have beaten him but he didn't on the day and I think this is a testament to Rob rather a blot against Anthony.

Its also hypocritical that someone who has referred to himself as one of Ireland's top young powerlifters on boards in his first competition at the same age and in the same weight class as Rob lifted nearly 100kg less yet can't recognise how significant the lift was.

The fact is that Rob has buckets more athletic ability than you, me or pretty much anyone else in the population. He doesn't take his training too seriously yet is under 10% bodyfat all year round, runs a sub 11 second 100m squats mid 200's deadlifts close to 300 benches around 150, has a 58" box jump and can do burpee backflips of all things!

but that 285kg was clearly supposed to get him the medal

Just on this part, I don't really know Anthony but I've seen him train in Raw plenty and I genuinely don't think that's true. Especially recently, I've seen him lift huge numbers and I'm pretty sure he was aiming to just outdo himself more than anything else.

That being said, I despise him and Rob for their stupid naturally abilities. Cunts.

Just on this part, I don't really know Anthony but I've seen him train in Raw plenty and I genuinely don't think that's true. Especially recently, I've seen him lift huge numbers and I'm pretty sure he was aiming to just outdo himself more than anything else.

That being said, I despise him and Rob for their stupid naturally abilities. Cunts.

I dont pretend to know what Anthony was thinking but in general if your specifically targeting a record especially a world record you generally wouldnt lift 93% of it as your opener. Taking James Hickey as an example. He pulled that 320kg world record as his second attempt the same attempt as Anthony. His opener was 280kg. I did reasonably the same when going for my world record. I pulled 220 as my opener and 242.5 as my record attempt. My thoughts would be and again I'm not saying your argument is any less plausible is that Anthony had a look at the openers and who was there and said right 285 to win it and then 302.5 for the record (which was impressively close btw). Could be completely wrong and wait to stand corrected!

You posted the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I dont pretend to know what Anthony was thinking but in general if your specifically targeting a record especially a world record you generally wouldnt lift 93% of it as your opener. Taking James Hickey as an example. He pulled that 320kg world record as his second attempt the same attempt as Anthony. His opener was 280kg. I did reasonably the same when going for my world record. I pulled 220 as my opener and 242.5 as my record attempt. My thoughts would be and again I'm not saying your argument is any less plausible is that Anthony had a look at the openers and who was there and said right 285 to win it and then 302.5 for the record (which was impressively close btw). Could be completely wrong and wait to stand corrected!

Wrong.

The last 4 comps he competed in he opened at 280kg +. There's no real rationale behind opening low if you're 100% confident at hitting your opener. And to be honest I don't really think the "record" meant all that much to him. It was his own record. Based on his recent training in the weeks prior to this comp the 302.5 should have been easy. It was actually his third attempt he was focusing on.

I think he's more disappointed with not hitting his own targets than placing or winning on the day. Cutting weight took more of an effect than he factored. He'll have to learn from it and come back stronger.

Squatted 210 and benched 160. I didn't see them but the deadlift really was great to see. Made it look easy.
    Dammit.. I was hoping he’d at least have a sh*t bench with a good DL.
    Normally I wouldn't bother but this is a thinly veiled attempt to belittle Rob's achievement in the single lifts because he is a member of Ironside. I'm not trying to play down Anthony's talent he is a super lifter and of course I admire him going for the 302.5kg record but that 285kg was clearly supposed to get him the medal. Even by his standards it wasn't a modest opener. I'm sure on the day Anthony could have beaten him but he didn't on the day and I think this is a testament to Rob rather a blot against Anthony.

Dave, please keep that tinfoil hat on. Any lad pulling 285 as a 20 year old at that weight has my respect and envy.
    Its also hypocritical that someone who has referred to himself as one of Ireland's top young powerlifters on boards in his first competition at the same age and in the same weight class as Rob lifted nearly 100kg less yet can't recognise how significant the lift was.

Where did I say it was insignificant? But thanks for trying to paint me as the bad guy. And I didn’t lift in my first comp at that age, or weight. But hey, if you’re gonna try and paint me as something I’m not, may as well go at it with both barrels.
    The fact is that Rob has buckets more athletic ability than you, me or pretty much anyone else in the population. He doesn't take his training too seriously yet is under 10% bodyfat all year round, runs a sub 11 second 100m squats mid 200's deadlifts close to 300 benches around 150, has a 58" box jump and can do burpee backflips of all things!
    That’s brilliant. He’s obviously a very talented lad. There’s few fantastically talented lifters and athletes knocking about at the moment.

I would have said this tbh. I won’t speak for him but I know he’s pulled significantly more than that in competition and probably didn’t just want to play it safe for a medal.
    Or maybe he wanted to have a reasonable jump to the record attempt. Maybe he didn’t want to waste energy warming up and take his last warm up on the platform, maybe there’s a million and one different reasons for it. Would you disagree that 7% between attempts is a reasonable jump to make? We’ve all seen Anto smash 290+. I’m sure 285 wouldn’t normally kill him. Maybe the long day played into it. Maybe, maybe, maybe.
    Skull wrote: »
    You posted the results.
    I did, but I didn’t fully examine them or commit the results to memory.

• Advertisement

_JOE_ wrote: »
    Wrong.

The last 4 comps he competed in he opened at 280kg +. There's no real rationale behind opening low if you're 100% confident at hitting your opener. And to be honest I don't really think the "record" meant all that much to him. It was his own record. Based on his recent training in the weeks prior to this comp the 302.5 should have been easy. It was actually his third attempt he was focusing on.

I think he's more disappointed with not hitting his own targets than placing or winning on the day. Cutting weight took more of an effect than he factored. He'll have to learn from it and come back stronger.

Delighted to have this input.

Advertisement