Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite type of Apocalypse

• 15-03-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Given that this is teh Zombie forum - i have a feeling that the poll might be a bit skewed...

But i am a big fan of Post-Apocalyptic fiction
    From what i can see there are 4 main types of Apocalypse scenarios:
    1. Zombie Apocalypse
    2. Nuclear Holocaust
    3. Global Pandemic
    4. Food Shortage Apocalypse

So what is YOUR favourite Apocalypse scenario?

Your favourite type of Apocalypse 52 votes

Zombie Apocalypse
    0% 0 votes
    Nuclear Holocaust
    71% 37 votes
    Global Pandemic
    11% 6 votes
    Food Shortage Apocalypse
    15% 8 votes
    Other
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Its funny that for each option we currrently have a major tv show or Movie
    1.Zombie Apocalypse - TWD etc
    2.Nuclear Holocaust - The 100
    3.Global Pandemic - 12 Monkeys
    4.Food Shortage Apocalypse - Interstellar

Personally i go with Global Pandemic - similar to 12 monkeys or the stand.

Especially like it when its set 4-5 years after the initial outbreak when the bodies of the deceased are well decomposed...

What scenario do you other apocalypse fans prefer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

The Original. I'd love a good Rapture*

* not really

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

1. zombie apocalypse - high school of the dead/ the last of us/ resident evil. (sorry im a gaming/anime nerd)
    2. nuclear apocalypse - fallout series.
    3. global pandemic.
    4. food shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Nuclear, and i cant stand that show The 100. It's dreadful.

Gimmie these any day..

Mad Max/2/3
    A Boy and his Dog
    Threads
    The Stand (edit: Man-made virus not nuclear)
    When the Wind Blows
    Beneath Planet of the Apes
    The Postman (yep, i loved it)
    Damnation Alley
    The Road (although i'd not watch it again for a long long time) ((also not nuclear))

and loads of others i cant remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Nuclear, and i cant stand that show The 100. It's dreadful.

The 100 actually gets a LOT better as the series goes on...
    For a mainstream TV show it is not scared to show some pretty graphic scenes.. Especially those with nuclear radiation poisoning...

And they are not scared to make some very controversial decisions... the good guys definately make some pretty controversial choices compared to the average Good guys Vs Bad guys show...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

Zombie Apocalypse will forever be my favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

geecee wrote: »
    Its funny that for each option we currrently have a major tv show or Movie
    1.Zombie Apocalypse - TWD etc
    2.Nuclear Holocaust - The 100
    3.Global Pandemic - 12 Monkeys
    4.Food Shortage Apocalypse - Interstellar

Personally i go with Global Pandemic - similar to 12 monkeys or the stand.

Especially like it when its set 4-5 years after the initial outbreak when the bodies of the deceased are well decomposed...

What scenario do you other apocalypse fans prefer?

To add in for Nuclear Holocaust, Jericho is a good tv show depicting a nuclear attack in USA. Available on Netflix afaik

Jericho was great, apparently after the end of the first season the show was cancelled, but a lot fans sent in packets of nuts to fox or whoever was showing it at the time to get it reinstated for the second season - and it worked :) Though it wasn't nearly as good as the first.

Not so subtle reference if you've seen the show - Nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

I'll go for Zombie Apocalypse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At least with the Zombie apocalypse you would stand some chance, although a zombie outbreak is essentially the same thing as a pandemic. A food shortage crisis would follow any of the other ones happening. Nuclear and pandemic it would be blind luck whether you make it through or not.

One of the biggest threats to human safety would be the breakdown of global trade, although that would also be a natural side effect of any of these apocalypses. Without global trade there's no industry (no imported resources like steel), no medicine and probably no knowledge if the internet calfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The most likely in reality will be a global pandemic, Contagion is a very good movie of this genre. Not to give anything away but the ending title sequence is an excellent example of how easy a pandemic might start and spread.
    The stand book as opposed to the movie/mini series is good example of how society would break down in such an event.

My favorite would have to be the zombie outbreak, come on; think about all the fun to be had especially if they are the lumbering type of zombieland.

Favorite movie of the nuclear disaster type would be mad max (original), society hasn't broken down completely particularly in rural areas

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    The most likely in reality will be a global pandemic,
    I think that becomes more and more unlikely as we get more and more practice fighting disease each year.

The fact is these things don't spread in rich countries. We keep things clean, have advanced sewage systems, we're actively looking out for these diseases.

It's not unfamiliar ground, not even ebola could kill more than a handful of people outside of the third world countries.

good thing ebola isn't airborne, i reckon a fatal virus like that if it were airborne could do significantly more damage to first world countries - one bus or train, or even plane with one virulent airborne infected person and everyone's got it - depending on the gestation period prior to symptoms showing, it could become a pandemic within a day given the right circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think that becomes more and more unlikely as we get more and more practice fighting disease each year.

The fact is these things don't spread in rich countries. We keep things clean, have advanced sewage systems, we're actively looking out for these diseases.

It's not unfamiliar ground, not even ebola could kill more than a handful of people outside of the third world countries.
    good thing ebola isn't airborne, i reckon a fatal virus like that if it were airborne could do significantly more damage to first world countries - one bus or train, or even plane with one virulent airborne infected person and everyone's got it - depending on the gestation period prior to symptoms showing, it could become a pandemic within a day given the right circumstances

How many days could most of us 'last' if we had to rely on what is in our cupboards and fridge if something happened that needed us to "remain indoors" for an extended period of time.

The disease itself might not cause the problems, rather the effect of preventing the spread of a highly infectious pathogen might lead to a breakdown in society. Our own western technologies as in the internet, twitter or even facebook might allow panic to spread unchecked by government controlled mass media agencies.

Hell the disease does not need to be fatal just put large swaths of the population in bed for a couple of days and see how quickly things start to fall apart. Then your more common diseases take advantage and bang Apocalypse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Zombie apocalypse – sooner those feckers get annihilated, the sooner I can sleep easy at night :eek:

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    How many days could most of us 'last' if we had to rely on what is in our cupboards and fridge if something happened that needed us to "remain indoors" for an extended period of time.

The disease itself might not cause the problems, rather the effect of preventing the spread of a highly infectious pathogen might lead to a breakdown in society. Our own western technologies as in the internet, twitter or even facebook might allow panic to spread unchecked by government controlled mass media agencies.
    Big time, I think the breakdown of global commerce would be more disastrous than the disease itself. The only benefit of social media hype is that (at least where I am in a small town) it would cause overreaction, people would have their children pulled out of school and be hiding at home at the first sign of trouble. It would be the one time the hype actually lived up to their hysteria. Big cities are going to have more of a problem because it so difficult to avoid coming into contact with someone.

The fact is it takes a global economy to support 7 billion humans. If that global economy gets interrupted for too long everything will break down and a large chunk of the western population will simply starve to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I find the Zombie genre to be full of hope. Its not all about just survival, its about taking back the world and trying to get on with it in a world where death is a scratch away.

I know this can also be said for the others but not in the same way. There is a lot of crossover in the survival aspects but all the others seem so.....Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I don't think I could pick a "favourite" apocalypse!

I think people can prep and watch movies and whatever but nothing would be like the reality and mental torture that you would go through in a real event.

The walking dead zombie apocalypse deals with a lot of possible issues that you might face but sometimes they only really tip the surface. There would be a lot more rape, suicide, injuries, people dying slow deaths from those injuries, starvation and dehydration. You'd have more cannibalism like where they are not killing but if a member of the group died, they would probably eat them. Lots more insanity. Even in those films the cast actually look quite good and clean. Tooth decay and toothache. Im sure some kind of shell shock symptom would develop especially in a zombie event because you'd be constantly waiting for something to pounce. The list of possible horrors is endless and far worse than anything you would probably see in the movies.

Did anyone see the movie 'The Road'? I cant remember if they actually confirmed what happened to cause the apocalypse. I haven't read the book but the movie was so grim it really creeped me out!

I find the Zombie genre to be full of hope. Its not all about just survival, its about taking back the world and trying to get on with it in a world where death is a scratch away.
    Once medicine disappears a scratch could quite likely kill you anyway. But it is true that removing a big chunk of the human population will be a huge opportunity for those that are left. Life has a way of turning disaster into opportunity. Comet wipes out 90% of life on earth, a few million years later life has created a creature that can monitor and possibly avert any further asteroid strikes on the planet.
    Saralee4 wrote: »
    I think people can prep and watch movies and whatever but nothing would be like the reality and mental torture that you would go through in a real event.
    No one in the western world can appreciate just how bad life without civilization will be.
    You'd have more cannibalism like where they are not killing but if a member of the group died, they would probably eat them.
    That's unlikely, or at least unlikely to last. Cannibalism will make people sick, it's traditionally done for religious reasons in humans but more or less avoided throughout the animal kingdom. Most animals are disgusted by their own dead for all sorts of biological reasons.
    Lots more insanity. Even in those films the cast actually look quite good and clean. Tooth decay and toothache. Im sure some kind of shell shock symptom would develop especially in a zombie event because you'd be constantly waiting for something to pounce. The list of possible horrors is endless and far worse than anything you would probably see in the movies.
    It's always comical how good Americans look in these apocalypse scenarios. TV always makes it out to be an adventure where people become the heroes and somehow know how magically become experts in all survival skill overnight just because they get the "stare".

Shell shock would come into it but as long as people can live in a moderately sized group they should adapt to the new environment pretty quickly. That's what humans do. The kids that grow up in that world will be perfectly adapted to it and won't see their life as hard.
    Did anyone see the movie 'The Road'? I cant remember if they actually confirmed what happened to cause the apocalypse. I haven't read the book but the movie was so grim it really creeped me out!
    Americans like to think they'll be going around in a Mad Max style world but I just don't see it happening. They won't have the fuel and ammunition reserves to live like that. Many of them don't have the skills to live on their own so will eventually form communities.

The closest example we really have to a zombie apocalypse is probably the fall of Rome. The fall of Roma happened much slower and wouldn't be quite as violent as the zombie apocalypse but the end result will be the same. Small, isolated pockets of humanity that have to survive on their own merits with no larger community to back them up. I think civilization would bounce back much quicker this time as we have more knowledge stored and dispersed throughout the population.

The big danger for European civilization would be if the middle east can avoid the worst of the zombie plague due to their weather and lack of infrastructure we might see a Islamic invasion of Europe. With European people isolated there would be no way to mount a defence.

• Advertisement

I liked the film, but i dont want to see it again :D

The few flashbacks in it suggested a naturally occurring disaster that stopped plant growth. Could have been anything though and i'd have to watch it again to be certain, yeah.. too bloody depressing :) but also awesome

That's unlikely, or at least unlikely to last. Cannibalism will make people sick, it's traditionally done for religious reasons in humans but more or less avoided throughout the animal kingdom. Most animals are disgusted by their own dead for all sorts of biological reasons.

yea it would be completely gross but I do think that there would be a lot more of it and not necessarily in an aggressive farming and collecting people to eat kind of way. I do think people would eat their own in those adverse circumstances as long as the person died a sort of 'normal' death and didn't appear to be sick.

Remember that plane that crashed in the andes with the rugby team? They collectively decided to eat the dead passengers just to survive.

I think in a situation lets say in The Walking Dead, this last series where they were looking for food and starving, if one of them happened to die, there would be a lot of groups that would say 'ok we will eat the body to keep us going' for today. Either faced with death from starvation or risking eating something that they felt was a 'healthy' body just after it died. Obviously in the case in the Andes, they had preservation of the body so they could store 'food'.

There would be no consequences from a society point of view here, only within the group and if they were all that desperate, I reckon that it would be practiced a lot more.

The fact that Im even suggesting that this would happen is making me think that Im starting to sound like my reasoning is like 'Carol' from the Walking Dead and an apocalypse hasn't even occurred yet! :)

Remember that plane that crashed in the andes with the rugby team? They collectively decided to eat the dead passengers just to survive.
    There is a major difference in Ireland though. You go out into the countryside and you're surrounded by food. There's berries growing at the side of the road. Crops in the fields. Animal populations will explode once the number of people go down. There's currently a plague of rabbits throughout the country. There's fish in the rivers. There's plenty of things to eat so there's no need to resort to cannibalism.

There is a major difference in Ireland though. You go out into the countryside and you're surrounded by food. There's berries growing at the side of the road. Crops in the fields. Animal populations will explode once the number of people go down. There's currently a plague of rabbits throughout the country. There's fish in the rivers. There's plenty of things to eat so there's no need to resort to cannibalism.

Yea your right! There would be alot of food sources available.

I'd have eaten half my own group before I even checked the fridge haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Book of Eli wasn't half bad. Nuclear holocaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

Zombie Apocalypse is my fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

Yes you are right but only with the right equipment and skills knowledge could be a long winter

there's a discussion on wild food here, try to stay on topic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

While I'd imagine killing zombies would be fun.. I went with Nuclear Holocaust.. 80%+ of world pop. would probably be dead in first 24-48 hrs though, so surviving might not be an option, unless you live far enough from cities..

Scariest is probably resource/finacial crash i.e. peak oil/no oil, there will be still be plenty of people around in this scenario who will die slow deaths due to starvation..

• Advertisement

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    While I'd imagine killing zombies would be fun.. I went with Nuclear Holocaust.. 80%+ of world pop. would probably be dead in first 24-48 hrs though, so surviving might not be an option, unless you live far enough from cities..

Scariest is probably resource/finacial crash i.e. peak oil/no oil, there will be still be plenty of people around in this scenario who will die slow deaths due to starvation..
    Yeah, peak oil is a scary scenario. There are a number of peak scenarios, there's also peak phosphorus, which will mean our fertilizers will become less effective.

Seeing the after effects of Chernobyl a nuclear holocaust may not be as bad as we think. It seems most other life isn't affected all that much by radiation and nature will more than likely take over pretty quickly.

Advertisement