Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Show Me A Hero--HBO--(**Spoilers**)

• 13-07-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

The latest David Simon project premieres August 16 on HBO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Looks promising. David Simon rarely disappoints and Oscar Isaac was excellent in 'A Most Violent Year'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A David Simon project with a social critique...shocking. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have read a few positive reviews.

Here's an interview with Haggis.

Interview with Simon.

Featurette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

On sky Atlantic on Monday, will be checking it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I just watched the first episode. This is quality TV. Oscar Isaac is a superb actor - reminds me of a young Al Pacino. James Belushi is also excellent. It's a bit of a slow burning political drama and may not be for everyone, but everything about it just screams quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

It wasn't as complicated as I'd feared; The Wire took longer to slip into a groove for me by comparison. Only David Simon could make housing allocation excellent tv. I think this series will resonate today quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

I thought it was s***e. I know it's only one episode in but I don't think I'm going to like it. I loved The Wire but I thought the most boring parts of that show were the political storylines. This seems like a re-hash of that and is quite uninteresting and dull. I was surprised to read reviews of this ep online saying it was brilliant. I get the feeling that because it is by David Simon the critics seem obliged to say it's brilliant even if it's not.
    I didn't like Oscar Isaac's character, he seems very full of himself. His relationship with the wan working in the office had a very "tacked-on" feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

That montage at the start was all that was needed to get me hooked. Incredible - Simon managed to make a more compelling and intriguing pilot about a housing plan in Yonkers than the entire second season of True Detective! All those Wire characters made me sad though - TV hasn't been the same since. Finally a tv show again that makes you think and ask questions other than 'who is the killer' and 'who's that guy' etc. Simon is a standalone talent in this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

K4t wrote: »
    That montage at the start was all that was needed to get me hooked. Incredible - Simon managed to make a more compelling and intriguing pilot about a housing plan in Yonkers than the entire second season of True Detective! All those Wire characters made me sad though - TV hasn't been the same since. Finally a tv show again that makes you think and ask questions other than 'who is the killer' and 'who's that guy' etc. Simon is a standalone talent in this age.

Have to agree with this, i knew i liked it 10 or so minutes in. Oscar Isaac is great but i feel like we're gonna see the absolute best of him when things get ugly after the appeal got rejected. But theres a great supporting cast as well.

There's so much good television around these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I haven't had time to watch the second part but yeah, this looks to be pretty decent stuff.

• Advertisement

den87 wrote: »
    Oscar Isaac is great but i feel like we're gonna see the absolute best of him when things get ugly after the appeal got rejected.
    His character arc is going to be like Tommy Carcetti in reverse I think - honest politician ends up becoming part of the corrupt institution he intended to change vs company man becomes mayor and the hero to the people he was meant to be etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I loved the nods to The Wire in the first ep. The young guys on the street, etc and the montage.

And good soundtrack too.

It made me realise how much I miss The Wire...

*Smiles to self and says: "Is there anything to be said for watching all 80-odd hours of The Wire again?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

lukin wrote: »
    I thought it was s***e. I know it's only one episode in but I don't think I'm going to like it. I loved The Wire but I thought the most boring parts of that show were the political storylines. This seems like a re-hash of that and is quite uninteresting and dull. I was surprised to read reviews of this ep online saying it was brilliant. I get the feeling that because it is by David Simon the critics seem obliged to say it's brilliant even if it's not.
    I didn't like Oscar Isaac's character, he seems very full of himself. His relationship with the wan working in the office had a very "tacked-on" feel to it.
    Don't know how you'd expect this premise to not be focusing on the political side of things. Not really sure how it's a rehash beyond involving having to try and please a whole load of groups with opposing interests, which you're gonna have in anything at all about politics ever that tries to go about it in a serious way. In comparison to his last show this one is absolutely drama-central.
    I watched the first two side by side, but I didn't think he seemed too full of himself to me. He's playing a young and overly eager character, but I wouldn't say he's arrogant. The relationship was a bit flung together alright, assume that's largely due to the real life timing of the relationship being a bit awkward to fit in.
    I'd say stick with it for another episode, the first episode is very much laying the groundwork.

Yeah though, I really like it so far. It's mostly nice to see Simon doing something with a plot again after 4 years of Treme (which I thought was alright, but always had a lingering feeling of "you could be at something much better than this"). Loving the cast too,

Surprised enough so much happened in yesterday's episodes
    , quite happy it has though, the next two episodes are gonna be covering the really interesting stuff I kind of expected them to largely gloss over in a 6 episode time frame.

It's packing in a hell of a lot of ground so it winds up being a bit by-the-numbers (I would say especially if you already know what happened) but I'm loving this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Gekko wrote: »
    *Smiles to self and says: "Is there anything to be said for watching all 80-odd hours of The Wire again?"

Just on Season 4 my 3rd re-watch when Show Me a Hero started airing. It is worth it every time.

I feel there is a lot of good things about the new mini-series, but unfortunately a lot just is not working for me also. The main gripe is the character who Wasiscko just married, she is a feeble lap dog who does nothing but smiles and agrees to everything and is just damn annoying. To be honest IMHO the relationship angle of the show is the most trying part.

Aside from that there is a lot of time being invested in peripheral characters and storylines, and whilst I know (assume) they will all tie in at the end, it just seems like too much time spent on characters who are bit part in the greater scheme of things, it's not that I don't give a s**t - just that it seems like the time given to all these extra stories has been on the generous side.

Isaac is great though, and Alfred Molina is excellent as the greasy Spallone - reminds me of one or two politicians closer to home. Overall I'm enjoying it but just finding it hard not to get annoyed over certain sections of the show which just feel to be lacking weight.

PS did anyone else spot Namond Brice..

jArgHA wrote: »
    I feel there is a lot of good things about the new mini-series, but unfortunately a lot just is not working for me also. The main gripe is the character who Wasiscko just married, she is a feeble lap dog who does nothing but smiles and agrees to everything and is just damn annoying. To be honest IMHO the relationship angle of the show is the most trying part.

I can't think of anything her character brings to the show. I've only seen 2 episodes, mind.
    PS did anyone else spot Namond Brice..

No, thankfully.

Here's some real footage...

Was Namond
    the guy in junkieland who gave crack lady a sort of disapproving nod as she went in to try and get some free crack?
    It's been a few days but I remember one of those guys standing out some.
    I can't think of anything her character brings to the show. I've only seen 2 episodes, mind.
    Real world spoilers:
    She was fairly involved as a source for ensuring historical accuracy, I believe. Because Wasicsko died ages ago, she's probably the one of the best sources they have. Her excessive presence is probably a lot to do with Simon wanting to maintain some level of journalistic integrity or something along those lines(i.e. using scenes of things she said actually happened between them as opposed to just making stuff up to advance the plot).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought that was a very good episode. It really does have everything in it, NIMBYism, classic left/liberal vs. right wing politics, opportunistic politicians, race, religion and anti-semitism.

I felt the people in the projects were a bit disconnected from the story but the judge and the Jewish housing guy started putting forth their side towards the end, so I think I'll feel more connected to those characters from now on.

Really looking forward to the rest of the series now. Didn't realise the best character from the Wire was in it, Lester Freamon.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Thought that was a very good episode. It really does have everything in it, NIMBYism, classic left/liberal vs. right wing politics, opportunistic politicians, race, religion and anti-semitism.

I felt the people in the projects were a bit disconnected from the story but the judge and the Jewish housing guy started putting forth their side towards the end, so I think I'll feel more connected to those characters from now on.

Really looking forward to the rest of the series now. Didn't realise the best character from the Wire was in it, Lester Freamon.
    Are you referring to episode 3? Never noticed good old Lester? The housing expert is brilliant alright - "Do we want this to be successful?!" I miss the montages from episode 1, and while I know too many isn't a good thing, they were just so damn good..

About all that's missing from this is Zeljko Ivanek.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just to check. Everyone knows this was six parter and finished in Sunday? Don't want to spoil it for anyone watching it at a slower pace.

I've watched 3/6.

How do you rate it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The main character is very engaging as are some of the peripheral characters but I'm not really sure what it's all supposed to mean. It's too short and scattered for us to care about everyone and the message, whatever it is, is lost on me.

Catherine Keener looks daft in that wig.

There's finally a more annoying character than Ziggy on TV in the guise of that Santos chap.

I've watched 3/6.

How do you rate it?
    Thought the pilot was phenomenal, best tv I've seen since The Wire. Slowed a bit but still very good until about halfway through episode 3 where after it was consistently great till the end.
    The main character is very engaging as are some of the peripheral characters but I'm not really sure what it's all supposed to mean. It's too short and scattered for us to care about everyone and the message, whatever it is, is lost on me.
    Again, like The Wire and Baltimore, the show is about Yonkers, and the subject of social housing within that context. Anything that happens in a David Simon show, always happens for a reason - it's all connected. Show me a hero showed us so much about life as with all work done by Simon - and the real heroes are revealed at different times and over time; Dooreen, Mary, Newman, Carmen, Norma etc. The irony with Wasicsko is that he was already a hero without having to strive to become what he believed a hero to be; reminded me of McNulty in The Wire always chasing the dream ending (A life Jimmy, you know what that is, it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wasn't not expecting that ending. They really nailed the appearances of pretty much all the characters. Especially Walking Dead Shane as the lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

K4t wrote: »
    Thought the pilot was phenomenal, best tv I've seen since The Wire. Slowed a bit but still very good until about halfway through episode 3 where after it was consistently great till the end.

Again, like The Wire and Baltimore, the show is about Yonkers, and the subject of social housing within that context. Anything that happens in a David Simon show, always happens for a reason - it's all connected. Show me a hero showed us so much about life as with all work done by Simon - and the real heroes are revealed at different times and over time; Dooreen, Mary, Newman, Carmen, Norma etc. The irony with Wasicsko is that he was already a hero without having to strive to become what he believed a hero to be; reminded me of McNulty in The Wire always chasing the dream ending (A life Jimmy, you know what that is, it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come!).

That's it exactly. I think with David Simon, you either like it or you don't and I find it really engrossing.
    Wasn't not expecting that ending. They really nailed the appearances of pretty much all the characters. Especially Walking Dead Shane as the lawyer.
    It made my girlfriend cry! This is a spoiler because she doesn't usually cry at
    anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pretty good show, i spoiled the ending for my self by accidentally googling wasicsko after the 4th episode, but never the less it was still a good show, very well cast and a great diversity to the story telling, coming at it from all angles,

i wonder if its planned for this to multi season show, i know it was in development for years, but its a great idea for telling a lot of stories about unknown heros of the people, plenty of anthology series out there now,

don ramo wrote: »
    i wonder if its planned for this to multi season show, i know it was in development for years, but its a great idea for telling a lot of stories about unknown heros of the people, plenty of anthology series out there now,
    Can't see David Simon committing to something like that but I'd imagine following Simon's frustrations with the Wire (consistently losing viewers right up to the final season) and HBO's frustrations with Treme (absolutely nothing happening to keep viewers watching), both sides might find it mutually beneficial to do this kind of setup from here on out. There's no real place in Hollywood for someone like Simon so it's not like he has other avenues he can explore as far as screenwriting goes.

What was Winona Ryder on about in
    that phone call near the end? It fairly strongly seemed to imply that her and Wasicsko were having an affair but I couldn't find anything online to back that up.

Based on his house repair skills in 1.04, Wasicsko should be in an episode of Grand Designs. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wow some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Simon even managed to make Paul Haggis stick to subtle direction. Under normal circumstances with Haggis I'd expect some character to loudly exclaim "they are people too with the same problems yada yada" but the best thing about all of this was it let the stories speak for themselves without any in your face preaching. How the real Wassicsko stuck to his guns through all of that is incredible.
    What was Winona Ryder on about in
    that phone call near the end? It fairly strongly seemed to imply that her and Wasicsko were having an affair but I couldn't find anything online to back that up.
    Seemed apparent to me based on her friends reaction to Winona making the call that it was total bull**** coupled with Wasicsko's non-panicky reaction to his wife asking about the hotel

Advertisement