Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scuba diving

• 05-05-2015 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all. Just did my first dive last week. Well done Me! Looking for views on a dive computer Suunto Joop or Vyper. I dont want to be upgrading down the line as its all money money money!
    Also how much should i pay for a standard decent torch and knife!
    Thanks buddies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

Off the top of my head I think the main difference between a Joop and Vyper is that the Vyper has a backlight and guage mode. I'd recommend a Vyper I use one as my backup computer but my primary is a Suunto D6i that I use as an everyday watch too. Plus if you're diving in Irish waters the backlight is handy to have!

As for a torch you can pickup a frogman for about €50ish I think the last time I got one. Good sold torch but they are known for switches braking after awhile! But I guess 50- 100 on a torch should be plenty.

My advice for a knife is getting something cheap, a knife is a knife as long as it's sharp who cares. Things have a habit of getting lost on dives so you're going to be less pissed of or go looking for a cheap knife that an expensive one!

Where did you dive, are you part of a club? Also try www.divegear.ie for second hand gear can save you more than you thing and often will find gear that's as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I have a Joop that i use as my main (and only) computer.

Does everything i ask of it. Normal air and nitrox. It's a nice rugged thing also which helps.

Backlight is handy to have, but frankly, if you're in water dim enough to not be able to see instrumentation, then you should be using a torch anyway, in which case you just jam it in front of the joops screen for a second or two and it glows for a half minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

Hello My Buddies!
    I'm getting fitted for a drysuit 2moro and im looking at 0Three. I know there expensive but looking at alot of divers the majority seem to have 0Three. I want comfort, flexibility and good customer service. Im not getting boots attached, using my own with hard sole. Im diving alot and will dive till end of season. Buying in Cork Dive Centre. Help me out. Also selling Beauchet semi 12m full with shortie to pay the bill.

cmat wrote: »
    Hello My Buddies!
    I'm getting fitted for a drysuit 2moro and im looking at 0Three. I know there expensive but looking at alot of divers the majority seem to have 0Three. I want comfort, flexibility and good customer service. Im not getting boots attached, using my own with hard sole. Im diving alot and will dive till end of season. Buying in Cork Dive Centre. Help me out. Also selling Beauchet semi 12m full with shortie to pay the bill.

I only just got fitted for my first dry suit a couple of weeks ago. I went with an OThree, yes they're expensive but from talking to others they are definitely worth it and if looked after properly will definitely last! I'm not sure about the no boots options, I've not seen an OThree without boots attached and they come included in the price.

As for selling stuff http://www.divegear.ie/ is your man

Its just walking around after a dive after time holes occur then delay and expense. I see all our lads have boots attached. Bear drysuit is my second choice. Can you tell me what type did you get with OThree approx cost. Compressed or mm etc. Thanks

• Advertisement

cmat wrote: »
    Its just walking around after a dive after time holes occur then delay and expense. I see all our lads have boots attached. Bear drysuit is my second choice. Can you tell me what type did you get with OThree approx cost. Compressed or mm etc. Thanks

There's a choice of boots on the OThree and they're pretty rugged not seen or heard anyone have trouble with them, though I'm sure they won't last forever but they are easily replaced.

I went with the Ri 2-100. It's 2mm compressed neoprene all in I think it cost me €1,600 though I had to pay a deposit about 8 weeks ago and got hit with the bad exchange rate should be less now that sterling has fallen. I've also heard good things about Bare, but what I will say is that two friends of mine just ordered OThree's with me and are switching from Bare - take from that what you will

Thanks just read your post outside the door. Thanks for all your help. 0Three might be out of my range as i was hoping 1k or slightly above. Jesus i should get my club to organise a fundraiser for my suit! Thanks

No worries. There are cheaper OThree suits to be had but obviously come with trade offs, thicker suit means you're more restricted same as for other materials. I just tend to be of the mind if I'm gonna splash out on something might aswell go big and get it right and be happy with it

The bill came to e1580 which i cant go there, so he recommed the Bare CD4 2mm compressed neoprene reviews are good . My woolie onesie was e300 in that price. I will go back early nxt week with budget e1200 or im pulling out. Other is MSF 400 i think and Bare again. I will get there even if i have to make one. I just dont want to have buoyancy issues as it varies with drysuits. Anyways, thank god for my secret wallet!

Advertisement