Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is England '90 in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Starts sun 13 sep 9pm, cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

One of the best series on TV in a long time. It brings the viewer on such an emotional rollercoaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Cannot wait for this!

I like the way they have separated the series. The gap between one series and the next really makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

KKkitty wrote: »
    I like the way they have separated the series. The gap between one series and the next really makes it.

It ties into the storytelling as well, being that each mini-series is two years hence from the last. It's a bit like a dramatic version of 7 and Up.

Provided the cast remain alive and working, you can go on and on with it as a series. Like a soap, except....good, and never gets to an over-saturation point. I think they'll probably cut it off at '96, though. It would be the height of Britpop, England hosting the Euros - one of the last really great collectively nostalgic times in popular memory, and would serve as a great backdrop to whatever themes the programme wanted to explore. Ideally it would want to do something that ties back to the original film so to end the story of the characters as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I believe I read that 90 will be the last one, at least from Shane Meadows but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ruu wrote: »
    I believe I read that 90 will be the last one, at least from Shane Meadows but who knows.

I think that really depends on how well received the series is. There'll always be the impetus to carry on if there's ratings and critical acclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

https://youtu.be/df1Zcec1qBs

The Wiki page tells me Flip and Iggy from the bike gang will be more prominent.
    Wooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I watched '86 again over the weekend.

That last scene with Lol and the da and Combo blew me away all over again.

Powerful stuff.

'88 next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Found this thread last week. Made me realise I'd never seen '88 after loving the movie and '86. That was a nice surprise! Naturally, I went back to '86 because you couldn't do that to yourself! Just finished watching both and it's just incredible TV. Can't wait for the '90 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Panthro wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/df1Zcec1qBs

The Wiki page tells me Flip and Iggy from the bike gang will be more prominent.
    Wooo!
    GINGE!!

Excellent.. their scene with "Sweet Tits Gemma" in TIE 86 is just comedy gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Tonight at 9pm, don't forget. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Would I be totally lost if I started watching this tonight? I've never seen the other shows its founds excellent

I think each series stand in their own well enough but it would help to watch from the beginning, just to get an appreciation of where each character has come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Combo is an incredible actor. Utterly believable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Lisha wrote:
    Would I be totally lost if I started watching this tonight? I've never seen the other shows its founds excellent

You should be able to get the other seasons 86 and 88 on 4od. They are short seasons like 4 episodes each so you'd catch up easy enough.

Lisha wrote: »
    You should really watch the movie too.. otherwise, the introduction and storyline around
    Combo
    might be a bit confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Ruu wrote: »

There was an interview with him in this weeks Tv and Satellite guide, he said he thinks this will be the last one, but that it isn't written in stone.:) On a side note I never realised that the character Shaun Fields was based on him, duh, Shane Meadows/Shaun Fields.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Movie and a recap were on film4 last night so I recorded them. Currently watching the movie.

Weren't the previous series nightly? I may wait until the last week to start watching the new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is strange seeing Thomas Turgoose (Shaun) grown up :p

Here we go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Great intro

Lip up to his backdoor tricks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is awful so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm enjoying it. Woody singing 'I've gone too farrrr' was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

ollie1 wrote: »
    This is awful so far

I disagree. This is purely a introductory episode, familiarise yourself with character etc. Knowing Shane Meadows it will get very dark in the coming weeks.

I've found to be quite good, some funny sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm enjoying it but just like 86 and 88 the first episode was always the slowest

Advertisement