Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

alllcounty wrote: »
    When old men get their foot in the door on the county boards they are there for life. Outdated and backward structures remain in place which is supported by old men with big egos now that they are sitting on eastern and western boards. Look at the state of the adult club structures in the county. Except for the senior clubs the rest of the adult club structures are a total shambles. One side of our very small county have a separate set up for the running of intermediate club games and the other side of the county are doing their own thing separately. This is why games at these levels are poor resulting in hammerings by the county intermediate and junior champions every year in munster. We are meant to be one county but in reality due to the egos of those sitting on the divisional boards the county is split in two with poor quality games and as a result the county’s potential is not been maximised like in other counties.

To be fair this is not all down to the officers. If the clubs want to make change they can, but the clubs or more over the delegates that the clubs are sending to meetings dont want to see change, and until things change we are going to have the status quo we currently have. To say that all the officers even want things to remain the same is wrong as two or three years back, county secretary Timmy O'Keeffe tried to bring in an all county Intermediate hurling championship which was not accepted. If it was the other championships would quickly have had to go down the same road.

F*ck sake, whose going to say mass after training now.

When last did a Christian Brother last say mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    I have to agree with you. Its too easy for some to come on here and in other forums sitting in front of a screen or phone and give out about this that and the other. If they want to make change, and they can, they have two options.

the First would be to allow their name to go forward for a position as a divisional or county official come convention time. The second would be to get involved with their local club and maybe offer to become a delegate to divisional and county board meetings, replacing some of the tired faces that attend some of these meeting for the clubs. If you were to sit in at a meeting and observe what happens, 99 times out of 100 its the same people that offer views on everything. The rest just sit there say nothing, look at their watch and think how long more will this go on for, or maybe think to themselves, will i head to the toilets or outside the front door for my next fag.

Somehow, I dont think we will be seeing too many new faces on the boards in 2013, and the same people will be coming on here giving out about those that are carrying out the jobs they currently hold.

I think I was fairly clear from my own point of view why I couldn't give my name forward for such a role, and plenty of reasons why I probably wouldn't even if I was in the position.

Similarly, I'm also not available for selection for the county side either for the same reasons, thats not going to stop me having views on the team or management either!

solarith wrote: »
    Question:

With the footballers playing Carlow Sat in Fraher, and the Hurlers playing Sun in Fraher, why the hell isn't there a double header this weekend instead?

Good question, it happens in other counties but it cant happen in Waterford.

Good news however on Sunday for those that turn up early. The under 16 Gleeson Cup game between east and west Waterford is on at 12-30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Re the promotion of Football in Waterford, its been a joke now for more years than i care to remember.

I was involved with the minors for two years ten years ago (not as a player) and the night before the first game of the championship in one of the years, the then county board did not have a set of jerseys organised for the team to play against Cork, a game that Waterford drew. On another occasion when the team were having something to eat I dont know was it after a match or a training session, one of the then officers (hes no longer on the board) nearly threw off his clothes when one player asked for a glass of milk instead of the diluted orange that he had organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Re the promotion of Football in Waterford, its been a joke now for more years than i care to remember.

I was involved with the minors for two years ten years ago (not as a player) and the night before the first game of the championship in one of the years, the then county board did not have a set of jerseys organised for the team to play against Cork, a game that Waterford drew. On another occasion when the team were having something to eat I dont know was it after a match or a training session, one of the then officers (hes no longer on the board) nearly threw off his clothes when one player asked for a glass of milk instead of the diluted orange that he had organised.

In contrast Tom, a college friend of mine was captain of Kerry's minor and U21 football teams. He used to be able to go in and grab a pair of Adidas boots and tell the shop to stick it on the county board tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Question:

With the footballers playing Carlow Sat in Fraher, and the Hurlers playing Sun in Fraher, why the hell isn't there a double header this weekend instead?

Because theyd be missing out on the extra fare from the people that want to go to both

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Because theyd be missing out on the extra fare from the people that want to go to both
    agree, its where the gaa gets its nick name out of , the GRAB all association ,hungry to the core .

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

To be fair this is not all down to the officers. If the clubs want to make change they can, but the clubs or more over the delegates that the clubs are sending to meetings dont want to see change, and until things change we are going to have the status quo we currently have. To say that all the officers even want things to remain the same is wrong as two or three years back, county secretary Timmy O'Keeffe tried to bring in an all county Intermediate hurling championship which was not accepted. If it was the other championships would quickly have had to go down the same road.
    you see the clubs are the same as the boards, ould fellas going to meetings afraid to open their mouths in case they might need a rearranged fixture or they might want to host the déise draw or something, and unfortunately they wont want anyone from their club taken that privilege away from them ,SAD BUT TRUE

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Waterford S.H. Team to play Dublin on Sunday in Fraher Field, Dungarvan at 2.30pm.
    This game will be preceeded by the Gleeson Cup at 12.30pm.

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    5. Tony Browne Mount Sion
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally CAPTAIN
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    9. Dean Twomey De La Sale
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion
    13. John Mullane De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Glad Michaels going with more or less the team that started the last day against Galway, they deserve it. Obviously Power is getting his chance as the others had two games. Daragh Fives is away with college so not available. Obviously the two question marks would be around Dean Twomey and Eoin McGrath, but both did reasonably well against Galway so very hard to drop them. Molumphy still out with the eye obviously.

I'l be looking to see some of the subs making a really strong impact in the second half, David O'Sulli, Martin O'Neill, Eoin Kelly (Just hope he keeps the head this week, should have been sent off a minute after comin on last week!) You've Seamus, Jamie Nagle, Stephen Daniels etc too. Strong bench I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

Deise Tom wrote: »

Double-header would be great. I'm more of a hurling man myself but there have been times when I've stayed on for the footballers or gone early to see both. But goin' on what happened the U21s thinks aren't lookin' the best.

Did you attend game in Tralee Wednesday? Keen to find out if we had a single performer all papers wrote on Kerry stalwarts.

IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford S.H. Team to play Dublin on Sunday in Fraher Field, Dungarvan at 2.30pm.
    This game will be preceeded by the Gleeson Cup at 12.30pm.

1. Adrian Power Ballyduff Upper
    2. Aidan Kearney Tallow
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    5. Tony Browne Mount Sion
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally CAPTAIN
    7. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    9. Dean Twomey De La Sale
    10. Maurice Shanahan Lismore
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Eoin McGrath Mount Sion
    13. John Mullane De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Gavin O’Brien Roanmore

Its a bit too experimental for a do or die match imo, although Id be in favour of starting Power alright deserves his chance and I hope he takes it and proves his critics wrong. Not a fan of sully at 7, twomey didnt take his chances in the crystal but they obviously feel he merits another chance and at number 12 well I can say im frustrated but not surprised. If their being experimental there are loads of great younglads bursting to make an impression were not going to learn anything new about eoin.
    Im hoping this isnt the team that starts and theyve just given it to the media for the purposes of supplying a team.

Then again I hope were not going down that road either.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i'd prefer if S.O.K was in goal. power is a good shot stopper but can tend to leave in the easy goals. i dunno lads...i'd rather give power a try in some challenge matches before the championship.

to much at stake tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

2 page piece in the Indo today as well

KevIRL wrote: »
    2 page piece in the Indo today as well

can you post the link ??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭skaface

Question:

"PURE GREED" BY OUR CO. BOARD. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Whats the dublin team for sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

I have to agree with you. Its too easy for some to come on here and in other forums sitting in front of a screen or phone and give out about this that and the other. If they want to make change, and they can, they have two options.

the First would be to allow their name to go forward for a position as a divisional or county official come convention time. The second would be to get involved with their local club and maybe offer to become a delegate to divisional and county board meetings, replacing some of the tired faces that attend some of these meeting for the clubs. If you were to sit in at a meeting and observe what happens, 99 times out of 100 its the same people that offer views on everything. The rest just sit there say nothing, look at their watch and think how long more will this go on for, or maybe think to themselves, will i head to the toilets or outside the front door for my next fag.

Somehow, I dont think we will be seeing too many new faces on the boards in 2013, and the same people will be coming on here giving out about those that are carrying out the jobs they currently hold.

Were you speaking about how you want a new stadium built in Mondeligo or some other village when people went for the fags?

Funfair wrote: »
    Were you speaking about how you want a new stadium built in Mondeligo or some other village when people went for the fags?

Interesting pronunciation of Modeligo. A city slicker I take it can smell the ignorance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

lets hope waterford do the double again this weekend, a double header on a sunday would have been the right thing to do. so its two trips to fraher field for me this weekend.

any idea what time the football is starting. would i be right in saying it's 7:30

Kicked off at 7pm. Carlow ahead 0-6 to 0-5 at ht

From bad to worse 10 pts to 6 behind. Now

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

lets hope waterford do the double again this weekend, a double header on a sunday would have been the right thing to do. so its two trips to fraher field for me this weekend.

Looking at the score of the football match I hope it wont be a double.Hopefully the lads can turn this around.

Carlow 1-15 Waterford 0-12 ft. V disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Its a bit too experimental for a do or die match imo, although Id be in favour of starting Power alright deserves his chance and I hope he takes it and proves his critics wrong. Not a fan of sully at 7, twomey didnt take his chances in the crystal but they obviously feel he merits another chance and at number 12 well I can say im frustrated but not surprised. If their being experimental there are loads of great younglads bursting to make an impression were not going to learn anything new about eoin.
    Im hoping this isnt the team that starts and theyve just given it to the media for the purposes of supplying a team.

Then again I hope were not going down that road either.

The only changes to the winning team from last week are Power and Tony Browne. How is that experimental?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »

A poor article in my opinion, there's one about Ken in the Irish Times, haven't read it yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement