Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

poor girls^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hope they sued their booking agent - I mean the Reading festival! Still it could have been worse - it could have been 1990 or 1980 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There's not many who would have remained on stage in the face of that onslaught. You can say a lot of things about Daphne and Celeste's music but they have bigger balls than most performers.
    Celeste reveals: “Rage Against the Machine were on a couple of people after us at Reading. They were waiting in the wings and they were like, ‘We would have left the stage. We don’t know how you guys stood out there’. They were shocked that we stayed on stage.

“Slipknot too! Slipknot were like ‘we would have left!’

“But honestly, what we were most afraid of was that no one would come. That would have been way more embarrassing, if no one had showed up in protest. Because isn’t that like the biggest insult, to pretend that someone isn’t there?

“I feel like maybe we’d feel differently if we’d been hit, but since we didn’t get hit - two times in a row - at Reading or Leeds, it really worked out for us.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/29/daphne-and-celeste-comeback-single-reading_n_6964708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71,602 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

@NeilSedakaOfficial

Can't wait to perform 'Seek And Destroy' with my good buddies Metallica on Saturday #rockandroll

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

@NeilSedakaOfficial

Can't wait to perform 'Seek And Destroy' with my good buddies Metallica on Saturday #rockandroll

I'm fully expecting Metallica to perform as "The Sedakas".

• Advertisement

@NeilSedakaOfficial

Hey @NeilSedakaOfficial - Ooh Stick you, Your Mama too, and your Daddy.
    And another thing - U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi you Ugly!

Really enjoying BBC Four's 'Pop Art' season, although I'm surprised there has been no Velvet Underground documentary.

As Brian Eno famously said, ''The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band.''

*tries to keep composure*

Ah, screw it...

METALLICAAAAAAARGH!

Just to keep things rocking in the free world

Heyday TV have a good day of programming - Ultimate Guitar Legends has just about finished but there is still

1 pm Elvis - the Early years
    2 pm Aerosmith videography
    5 pm Motorhead - the Bronze Years for two hours. Bring earplugs.

The Libertines at Reading on BBC Four at the moment.

Never understood the hype with them TBH - typical average guitar indie band, in my opinion.

And has Carl Barat borrowed from Richie Sambora's wardrobe? :pac:

• Advertisement

BBC Radio Ulster are broadcasting a live concert by Van Morrison today from 2.45pm, to celebrate his 70th Birthday. BBC1 NI will be showing highlights on Friday at 10.45pm

It is part of a full week of Van themed Radio Programmes, which will be available to stream on the BBC website after broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1f58ZyVP4rQVFW2Z8V0Vck3/van-morrison-70th-birthday-celebrations

Nice work there from Radio Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

The Libertines at Reading on BBC Four at the moment.

Never understood the hype with them TBH - typical average guitar indie band, in my opinion.

And has Carl Barat borrowed from Richie Sambora's wardrobe? :pac:

Nope, they're not that good. Made the mistake of buying one of their albums. Horrendous ****e.

Hello, BBC Four rolls out the repeats this weekend, but it's some of their best recent work, I think. Elsewhere Van Morrison's homecoming Birthday gig gets an airing while RTE2 has an ambitious four and a half hour long Electric Picnic show on Saturday. And then nothing on Sunday. Still, nice to see them trying.

Friday

9.30pm Queen: Days of Our Lives (Part 1)
    Part one of two. Documentary telling the story of the extravagant British rock outfit. The band's best-known line-up, consisting of singer Freddie Mercury, guitarist Brian May, bass player John Deacon and drummer Roger Taylor, formed in 1971 and went on to become one of the world's most popular rock acts - but their career was dogged by controversy and tragedy

10.30pm & 1.30am Queen: Days of Our Lives (Part 2)
    The second part of the documentary focuses on the peak of the rock outfit's fortunes, as they broke attendance records at stadium shows across South America. However, the band suffered a blip as internal tensions increased - until their performance at Live Aid and the 1986 Magic tour returned them to world attention, before frontman Freddie Mercury received devastating news

11.30pm & 2.30am The Joy Of The Guitar Riff
    Documentary exploring the impact of the guitar riff on popular music over the past 60 years, including a look at how it became the foundation on which rock 'n' roll was built. With stories from Brian May, Dave Davies, Hank Marvin, Joan Jett, Nile Rodgers, Tony Iommi, Robert Fripp, Johnny Marr and more. Narrated by Lauren Laverne

12.30am The Kinks at the BBC
    Archive performances by the band from shows including Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test, charting how their sound developed from the 1960s to the 1980s. The programme also features highlights from lead singer Ray Davies' solo career, including clips from Later with Jools Holland and his 2007 concert at the BBC Electric Proms

10.35pm (BBC1 NI) Van Morrison: Up on Cyprus Avenue
    Highlights of the singer's unique 70th birthday performance on the thoroughfare he made famous through the iconic album Astral Weeks

Saturday

10.55pm Kate Bush at the BBC
    A compilation of the singer's performances at the BBC's studios between 1978 and 1994. Bush appeared on a variety of programmes, including Top of the Pops, Wogan, Ask Aspel, Saturday Night at the Mill and the Leo Sayer Show. Featuring the hits Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Running Up That Hill and Hounds of Love, as well as intriguing and lesser-known material

11.55pm The Kate Bush Story : Running Up That Hill
    Documentary exploring the singer-songwriter's career and music from her 1978 debut single Wuthering Heights to her 2011 album 50 Words for Snow with testimony from collaborators, fellow artists inspired by her work and fans. Featuring David Gilmour, the guitarist who discovered Bush, as well as Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Stephen Fry, Outkast's Big Boi and Steve Coogan

12.55am Sounds of The Eighties
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including Kool & the Gang, the Pointer Sisters, Grace Jones, Cameo, Bobby Womack, Sade, Alexander O'Neal and Whitney Houston

9pm - 1.30am Electric Picnic 2015 (RTE2)
    Eoghan McDermott and Jenny Greene present dedicated coverage of the Stradbally festival in County Laois, with performances from headlining acts on the main stage. Plus, Al Porter and Blathnaid Treacy bring the latest news, artist interviews and festival happenings from the `Picnic' area

1.30am Other Voices: An Irish Affair (RTE2)
    Highlights of the music show celebrating new and innovative talent, featuring James Vincent McMorrow, Lisa Hannigan and John Smith, The Frames, Little Green Cars, The Coronas, Mick Flannery, Kodaline, Villagers, The Strypes and more

Sunday

8pm Nina Simone and me with Laura Mvula
    The soul singer travels to New York City to explore the songs made famous by Simone that mean the most to her, and trace the late singer's musical roots with the help of those who knew the `High Priestess of Soul'. Laura reveals the influence of Nina's classical training, meets Simone's long-time guitarist Al Shackman and performs with a Harlem gospel choir as she pays tribute to the genius of her musical heroine

10.30pm Van Morrison: Up on Cyprus Avenue
    as was on BBC1 on Friday

11.30pm Thin Lizzy: Bad Reputation
    A profile of the Irish rock band, including archive footage, interviews with Eric Bell, Brian Downie and the group's first manager. Formed in Dublin in 1969, the group hit a creative and commercial peak in the late 1970s with a line-up including frontman Phil Lynott and guitarists Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, but drugs and alcohol took their toll on the band. Narrated by Philip Glenister

There you go. Sky Arts has a two hour Doc on The Jam on Saturday, and some Sex Pistols stuff on Sunday.

Not much in the way of Movie action this weekend so instead here are the Muppets (who have a new Television series soon!) performing Jungle Boogie.

The Joy of the guitar riff is as familiar to me as any guitar riff it features at this stage.

Good, though.

Would be nice to see some more actual rock on BBC4. Did they ever repeat that one about the history of US rock? (By which I mean the one with some other stuff and then Van Halen & GNR)?

Oh, and nice one Skid!

I want more new stuff - I documentary about Robert Fripps career and life would be worth making for example.

Watching great guitar players talking about their guitars is great.

They could do that every week.

"Star Guitars" 15 minutes of a great guitar player talking about one of their favourite guitars, and playing a few riffs.

Lovely stuff.

That'd rule!

This is a great show. Ha, g'wan the devil, ya divil.

They could do with more talking about guitars in general.

Less guitar heroes at the bbc, more guitar talk.

In short: EVH is the best.

It's a fact.

This is a class programme.

Brilliant guitarists talking about their craft. Not plugging anything, just there because they want to be there.

• Advertisement

I temember what I didn't like about this show.

Simply the fact that there are so many kick ass riffs that didn't make it.

They should defo make a series of this.

I've never been sure if I was an angry teen before Teen Spirit, or because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Nights like tonight make you realise you saw Queen live and rejoice in it.....

Nights like tonight make you realise you saw Queen live and rejoice in it.....

I'm jealous GSW - I really should have gone to Slane - always regretted it after.

inthehat wrote: »
    I'm jealous GSW - I really should have gone to Slane - always regretted it after.

I'm always left with a lump in the throat looking at that documentary....

The world was a sadder place after Freddie died......:(

Just read it's Freddie's birthday today....

Watched a fantastic documentary film about The Jam on Sky Arts,brought back great memories of this brilliant band.Weller rules out a reunion though!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Watched a fantastic documentary film about The Jam on Sky Arts,brought back great memories of this brilliant band.Weller rules out a reunion though!

I really enjoyed it too. It was nice and long and went into good detail about the band's up and downs. The other two were gobsmacked when Weller quit, reminded me of Bowie killing Ziggy Stardust at his peak.

Martin Freeman (who was one of the contributors) really knows his stuff. Sometimes on these shows you get a lot of celebrities on who add little more than "Oh yeah, they were great. I was a big fan" but he (and others) made interesting comments.

I don't think any more repeats are scheduled at the moment, but I'm sure it will pop up again soon.

It's a bleak weekend on the box, nothing to get excited about at all really.

There's a three hour long documentary about Musicals on Friday, and the Last Night of the Proms on Saturday, if you are into that.

I briefly got excited about a programme called Beck on Saturday Night, but it's a Swedish Detective Thriller. Same goes for Hue and Cry on Saturday Morning on BBC2, it's a 1947 Ealing Comedy. It's a labour of love trying to find anything decent this weekend.

Instead, here's Bernard Butler showing you how to play his bit of Animal Nitrate. Make a series of this kind of thing BBC Four, you know it makes sense

and a look ahead to Netflix's new Keith Richards Doc which will be available to their subscribers on Friday September 18th. And shortly afterwards to the rest of the Internet, if you know where to look.

Better things to come on the Television soon, hopefully!

Feckin musicals?

Mad to think anyone ever would call metal the devil's music, in a world with - god help us - musicals.

Oh, sad smiley face. I am depressed.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I am depressed.

:(

Cheer up Donie.....:)

Have a bit of this to cheer you up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement