Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting a car from Dublin to London

• 07-07-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

hey anybody know any place i can rent a small van or big car off in Dublin to drive to London and drop it off in London as wont be returning to Dublin.

Basically I am moving to London in October and need to bring bit of stuff over with me.

Any ideas? Cant find anyplace to do this online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

i would imagine the cheapest option is rent in Hollyhead, ferry back collect stuff and head back.
    unlikely an irish rental co. has such a service, cant pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is not likely to be easy to do as someone would then have to drive the van back from London to Dublin and the rental companies wouldn't be keen to organise this, to say nothing of the cost. You could perhaps go to Holyhead and get one and bring it back, load it up and then leave it off in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There would be a substantial one way drop charge to do something like this. The rental company from Ireland would need to fly someone over to London (first class) and pay them (overtime rates) & fuel costs & ferry costs to bring the vehicle back.

Cheaper way to do it would be fly to London to collect, drive to Dublin and drop back in London.

Or just transport your stuff and fly. Have a look at www.vantasks.ie - Cormie might do a special rate for a bordsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, rent it over there and come back once for the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

GF works in this area.
    She tells me you wont be able to rent a car here and leave it there.

Your only option would be to rent from Enterprise Belfast and they will charge you 100euro or sterling equiv to leave the car there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Magnus wrote: »
    Yeah, rent it over there and come back once for the stuff.

but cant drive a uk reg car over here as still irish resident at that stage.

May be better to rent one here and drive to London and back and then cheap flight back from here to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Try www.opodo.co.uk They give the Dublin pickup/London drop off option.

Try www.opodo.co.uk They give the Dublin pickup/London drop off option.

Maybe I'll get a place that needs a van to be driven back to London from Dublin, if only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

chris85 wrote: »
    but cant drive a uk reg car over here as still irish resident at that stage.
    That shouldn't matter - if you have a full licence you can rent it in UK an drive it back here no problem. Just tell the company so you're insured here too.
    Irish people can drive Brit rentals in Ireland afaik (never done this though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I hired a car in uk earlier this year, picked it up from one airport and left it at another. I booked it via hertz on the ryanair site. The one way charge wasn't too much. Not sure if it is possible between 2 countries though. Try the hertz link on ryanair, it may be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I hired a car in uk earlier this year, picked it up from one airport and left it at another. I booked it via hertz on the ryanair site. The one way charge wasn't too much. Not sure if it is possible between 2 countries though. Try the hertz link on ryanair, it may be possible.

Shouldn't have been a 1 way charge between 2 mainland UK locations. It's not possible between countries as they can't re-rent the vehicle from where it was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

That shouldn't matter - if you have a full licence you can rent it in UK an drive it back here no problem. Just tell the company so you're insured here too.
    Irish people can drive Brit rentals in Ireland afaik (never done this though).

I see the point here, if I were a rental company I wouldn't let someone do this as the Customs might seize the car, although if you are actually moving it should be OK. Get a removal company or get an Irish van and bring it back.

looking around at car rental websites and looks like could bne hard to rent a van here as I am only 24. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1. Fly to London.
    2. Hire a Van.
    3. Take Hollyhead Ferry back to Dublin.
    4. load Van Up
    5. Take ferry back to Holyhead.
    6. Drive back down to London.

Enjoy the roadtrip.

good luck on the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

R.O.R wrote: »
    Shouldn't have been a 1 way charge between 2 mainland UK locations. It's not possible between countries as they can't re-rent the vehicle from where it was left.

Well, every hire car company I checked charged to pick up a car at one destination and return it to another. Hertz via ryanair were the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

worked for a rental company before....
    unless you are a very very valued customer... they won't do it and even if they did, it would be very very expensive...
    you would have rent of van, and they will charge you till the van is back in ireland...
    then insurance....
    then AA 5 star coverage, to insure that the van will be returned to ireland in the event of a breakdown.
    then the cost of an employee's time and travel and expnses to go over and collect it....

I would say rent one in Uk and drive back to ireland pick up stuff and return to UK....

or using a moving company... plenty of courier/moving companys do runs to the UK on regular basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

chris85 wrote: »
    looking around at car rental websites and looks like could bne hard to rent a van here as I am only 24. Very annoying.

You'll not be able to rent anything in Ireland unless your 25+.

I'm sure you'd be able to get a delivery crowd to deliver your stuff to London if you asked all the big named or international delivery crowds.

All I can think of then is mabey go as a foot passenger to holyhead, hire a car from Hertz/Europcar and get on the ferry back to Dublin then drive to London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm all on for road trips, but don't know how much fun it would be in a van
    I'm sure you'd be able to get a delivery crowd to deliver your stuff to London if you asked all the big named or international delivery crowds.

I think that's the best idea - no harm giving Cormie here on boards.ie a shout as well. His website is www.vantasks.ie and it says he provides an international service. I used him before for a local job, and he's a good guy to deal with.

Advertisement