Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your ticket's got smaller!

• 15-11-2006 7:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Anyone spot the change in the DB tickets recently, they've left out a couple of linebreaks and have removed the Issued and Accepted subject to rules bit.

I presume they think there's a ticket issue speed problem? Downside is that they're just that little bit harder to pull out of the machine, if you're a non-dextrous fool like myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, lots of people are commenting on it sizewise.

Saves paper also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Red Alert wrote:
    I presume they think there's a ticket issue speed problem?
    I doubt that is the main reason. Over the overall bus journey time, the time gained would be largely negligible.

I'd guess it's as Victor said - save paper = save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

A few of us have asked for the DB logo to be removed, can anyone confirm this has happened? Speed up time 1 second per customer expected, not much but could mean the next light is green?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

not much but could mean the next light is green?
    Could also mean its red.
    The time savings would be negligable, paper savings and cost savings would work out a lot.
    Kippy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought the DB logo was pre printed on the ticket roll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The alteration to the Ticket size is indeed part of an attempt to improve ticket issue speed and therefore general boarding and dwell times at stops.

However it remains a "Tinker at the edges" approach as the core problem remains.

The continuing useage of the "Old" Magnetic Card Validator with the "New" Ticket Machine remains fraught with difficulties.
    The failure rate of Mag Cards is stratospheric with both genuine and deliberately engineered malfunctions now the norm at most bus stops.
    These failures Increase at times of Wet weather and can lead to cases where up to 25% of a Bus Load can be unrecorded or simply unvalidated.

The other positive modification appears to have been a reduction in the time taken to issue the "Change Ticket" which now appears to emerge immediately after the Travel Ticket issue which at least allows the Passenger a fighting chance of taking it.

Under the old regieme the Passenger would be already well gone when the CT emerged from the bowels of the Ticket Machine which could lead to all manner of later disagreement along the lines of "You never gave me a change ticket"

With traffic conditions now established as being totally beyond Dublin Bus`s power to influence it is high time that the company looked long and hard at its Fare Structure and Collection arrangements.

The length of time individual buses are spending immobile at Stops whilst passengers feel the need to ask fare related questions is unsustainable.
    The Passenger Needs to have had their queries addressed by Comprehensive Off Bus signage at Stops OR by a universally understood Flat Fare.

As the talk of Integrated Ticketing continues to ebb and flow some consideration must be given to getting the Bus House in order and this must involve a much simpler Flat-Fare or Zonal system.

If the Bus system continues with the present Fare Stage based system then meaningful integration with Rail/Tram/Metro becomes more difficult to cater for.

Dublin Bus currently operates one of the Cheapest City Bus tarriffs in the EU but it is at the cost of efficiency.
    London from Jan 2007 will have a Min cash fare of £2stg.
    Paris flat fare of €1.40
    Salzburg Flat Fare €1.80

One could pluck comparisons till the Cows come home but finding a sub €1 fare anywhere in the EU will not be too easy.

It`s also quite apparent that many Passengers are quite comfortable with throwing a €2 coin into the machine and walking on without any delays
    The priority now should be to markedly DEcrease Bus Stop dwell times
    As Albert Gubay once said "Pack em in,and sell em cheap"........ :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Amazing how the 20-year-old Wayfarer 2 system had none of these problems.

The DB logo is a waste of space - let's get rid of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Shrinking tickets will do nothing, what is needed is more quality bus corridors and just simply more buses on the roads. I have used Dublin Bus a few times and I must say nearly everytime it was sardines. It is a disgrace up there and I for one when complaining about thing down here remind myself,: netwhizkid thank your stars your not in Dublin.

The fact of the matter is that the PD's will not allow Fianna Fail to buy new buses due to their political idealogical differences. The PD's would rather Privatise Dublin Bus and we all know the mess that makes of things, Eircom, Aer Lingus, etc. It is the Progressive Democrats fault and all I will say is use your vote wisely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

AlekSmart wrote:
    The continuing useage of the "Old" Magnetic Card Validator with the "New" Ticket Machine remains fraught with difficulties.
    The failure rate of Mag Cards is stratospheric with both genuine and deliberately engineered malfunctions now the norm at most bus stops.
    These failures Increase at times of Wet weather and can lead to cases where up to 25% of a Bus Load can be unrecorded or simply unvalidated.

A ‘corrupt card’ is a bitch when you have a 30-day ticket.

Anyway, talking about speeding things up, I can think of at least two different places where there’s two bus stops just over 10 meters away from each other - does this happen a lot?.

Two near St Michael's Church on Emmet Road in Inchicore and two at Markieviz Part on the Ballyfermot road. Err, some of the many joys of the 78A.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SickCert wrote:
    A few of us have asked for the DB logo to be removed, can anyone confirm this has happened? Speed up time 1 second per customer expected, not much but could mean the next light is green?
    No, the logo still seems to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

monument wrote:
    A ‘corrupt card’ is a bitch when you have a 30-day ticket.

Anyway, talking about speeding things up, I can think of at least two different places where there’s two bus stops just over 10 meters away from each other - does this happen a lot?.

Two near St Michael's Church on Emmet Road in Inchicore and two at Markieviz Part on the Ballyfermot road. Err, some of the many joys of the 78A.

i hate when people get off at both stops... also the 79A route 3 stops on the same road.... wtf... ( its about 200 meters in leenght)

Advertisement