Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you're taking it out and about itd probably be best to use a shorter length of wick and only put just enough drops in to vape at the time, although ive put mine in my pocket from time to time and had no leaking

about the airhole.. it only seems to happen on one of the rdas.. its not that big a deal now that I know it happens as I just place the hole slightly to the left and it adjusts itself into the correct position.. and then never moves again, was just wondering if it was common enough or just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Okay, I've tried 3 more coils uisng Andre's wick and wire. For some reason they are all giving me that burnt taste pretty quickly. I think it's my own fault cos I'm not winding them tight enough? I just seem to struggle to get it right with them cos they are kind of hard or something.

Anyway, just did up another using the stuff that came from Clockworks. That's giving me a beautiful vape. I find it much easier to get a good coil using this but I probably just need more practice with the other wicking material.

I have plenty of both, in particular Andrei's stuff. I'd like to get a bit more of the Clockworks stuff but which of the wicks in the attached link is the same (or as close) as Clockworks stuff:

http://clockworks-cornwall.co.uk/

im pretty sure it's the group buy wick and that wont be happening again
    it was only possible because the crowd that made it were so close to where rawveg lived so he offered to do it but he's been very ill lately and most people who paid for the last group wick still havent received their wick 2-3 months later and he hasnt been online in a month or more

not saying anyone got scammed, people who paid for their wick will get it im sure.. but rawveg was the only person for whom it made sense to get and organise this wick and with his health problems he just can't do it, he's already said he wont be doing another one and that was before the current lack of news/wick from him.

whjat are you using as a splint? if the splint is too thick then no matter how tight you pull the wire around the wick, when you remove the splint it'll be sitting too loose. if you have any sharp needles from a syringe for refilling tanks or something, use that as the splint and pull the wire pretty damn tight when you're making the coil.. when you pull the splint out the wire should be tight enough that its making good contact but still not strangling the wick

I'm using a paper clip. Whats even more annoying is that I couldn't do a bad one last week!!

I might try to get a syringe and have another go over the weekend.

ah yeah i was using a paperclip when i first started and really it is too thick
    the group buy wick is so fluffy you can get away with it but there's not much room for manouvering with andreis stuff but it does perform better and doesn't melt under heat so you can dry burn it if you need to clean the coil

derra uses a sewing needle, maybe you'd have less funny looks if you went into town to get one of them :)

• Advertisement

I think you're right. The group buy stuff is fluffy alright and it's easy enough to use it. Andre's stuff is not fluffy at all and probably just requires a bit more care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Bubba9 wrote: »
    If juice comes out the air hole it probably means you've flooded it. A few stiff blows through the drip tip should sort it out.

Mine doesn't leave the house but I'd say you won't go wrong with a ziplock bag...those small ones you get from vendors...and maybe some cotton wool stuffed down the top.
    if you're taking it out and about itd probably be best to use a shorter length of wick and only put just enough drops in to vape at the time, although ive put mine in my pocket from time to time and had no leaking

Yeah, I think I'm just being greedy and putting in way too much juice. I'd put in 15-20 drops, which it handles great, but then I'd do it again long before I'd run out, so it was probably building up to quite a lot. I haven't topped it up for hours now and it's vaping great so obviously I'd a ton of liquid built up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

stevenmu wrote: »
    I haven't had the air hole move, in fact I've tried moving it to experiment with positioning and found it very hard to do.

As well as everything else, the air hole is hugely important to the way these things work.

The a2 comes in stainless steel and aluminium.

The case(tube) screws onto the base, in the SS version the position of the air hole will never change and once ya have wick and wire done properly it will do it's job.

In the aluminium version ,the threads wear down and the air hole rotates to different positions, when the hole is not centred across from the wick and wire ,the vape is very harsh with little vapour.

The RDA should of had a mark on the base to indicate the best position to align the case.
    Fair enough, he says 11 o clock when looking at the outer terminal which is at 9 but i don't think it's the best position or maybe i'm not using the best wick and wire setup.

Best thing to do probably is mark several points around the base and try them all out. Most likely it will be somewhere in front of the coil.

The case on mine is a fúcker to get off :rolleyes:

I think you're right. The group buy stuff is fluffy alright and it's easy enough to use it. Andre's stuff is not fluffy at all and probably just requires a bit more care.

The group buy stuff melts, it's not ideal for vaping. There are loads of loose strands in that stuff. It's more than vapour coming off it imo.
    Do a coil with it, dry burn and it will melt under the coil. It must be wet at all times for that not to happen.
    But the juice accumulates on the coil, so ya will have to take off the case and be careful in cleaning it each time.
    When it's sold ya get loads but it works out better buying quality wick.
    Less is more sometimes.

The stuff Andrei seems ideal from the sample i got, though i do prefer the stuff he was selling first and Bulli wick. That's probably down to the juice i use regarding the taste of the wick.
    All 3 wick brilliantly and you can dry burn the stuff bringing it up new again.

doesnt he still sell the old wick?
    i think he had some the last time I got some wick from him, but I opted for the new stuff as it was a fiver cheaper :)

• Advertisement

Yeah he had some left, got some off him couple weeks ago.
    I got a slight taste off the other stuff but as i said it's probably the juice i use mostly.
    Ya just know if ya like something or not, same with anything.

He got a lot of the ortmann stuff before too, but he threw it out as it was crap.
    Good to know he aims to sell quality wick.

I see Andrei is selling wick over on ukvapers as well. Getting good reviews too.

I didn't know that you could dry burn these things. I thought when wick got burned it was essentially finished?

next time you change your coil, if the one you're taking out is all black under the wire

(wipe off some of the excess juice first unless you want to burn your fingers)

take a lighter under the coil, at the black bits of the wick.. and keep it there until the wick glows red.. when you take the lighter away and it stops glowing red it will be clean, you cant od this with the group buy stuff afaik

you can do this with dry burning too.. keep powering the coil until it glows red and thewick pops on fire for a second.. blow the fire out and it should be clean under the coil (take the top and body off the rda before you do this)

i can always get the bit under the coil clean but the wick under the turns of wire that are screwed into the post stay black.. i dont know if it affects the flavour much.. I change my coils and wick so often that I dont get the chance to really see how time affects them

Based on what ye were saying I decided to try another using Andrei's wick. The one using the Clockworks wick was working great but thought I'd practice anyway!

I did a couple of extra turns and unwound a couple afterwards. Came out real nice and even across the coil. I cut back on the amount of wick I was using as well.

Much better all round. Think my wick might have been too long before. Might be feeding juice quicker now? Seemed to struggle with the feed a bit when the wick was longer.

Edit: After a few toots, the burnt taste started coming back again unless I let it soak for a little spell. When I fired it with the top off I could see it drying out real quickly.

Did up yet another one using 3 strands. 5 turns. Big increase in vapour and flavour. Chain vaped to see would it dry out but it maintained performance. Found it easier to make the coil too.

i always found 2 strands enough when vaping at lower voltages but *shrug*
    so many variables, hard to know what either of us is doing :)

decided to experiment today with the spacing of the turns on the coil... almost out of wick now and i've completely forgotten what my "good" setup was .. feeling like **** cos ive been vaping so much for the past few hours.. gonna leave it for a while and try again later

Dunno but the 2 strands were drying out very quickly anyway. Maybe I had them too tight? Who the hell knows!

The 3 is working a treat anyway. Huge vapour. Havent a clue what ohms I have cos multimeter is in work.

Found it much easier to make the coil using 3 strands and winding a couple of extra turns then unwinding. I was actually wondering about the spacing this evening myself too.

I can shoot you off some wick on Monday if you're short?

nah yer alright
    i have enough left for a good few coils its just at the rate I was rebuilding them I am gona run out soon :) I'll still be able to vape whatever coil I end up making as my last until I get more next week from andrei

I got the perfect vape there earlier.. quite a bit better than what I was previously very happy with.. but to get it I have to put the coils just about right beside each other.. it tastes amazing but the wick was burnt to **** in the space of ten minutes

i dont know if that's bad or not.. I dont like to see it anyway

it tastes amazing but the wick was burnt to **** in the space of ten minutes

i dont know if that's bad or not.. I dont like to see it anyway

If your vaping constantly like every 10 minutes or so, you should be probably getting about 5 days out of the wick.

If your firing up at 5+v with .20 wire that will probably contribute to it falling apart. Need to be using suitable wire (.12/13) with that i'd imagine.

Sounds like it's not wicking fast enough either.

thhe .20 works fine if the coils are evenly spaced, its when I coil them tight together they get singed (at least with the 4 strands)

the problem is I much prefer the flavour when they're coiled tightly together.. tried it with some .13 and it singed the same as the .20.. I dont think there's any way around it tbh. with the wire that tightly packed the heat on the wick at that point would be pretty immense

so...derra
    when you said a few days/pages back was I sure I was using .20 nichrome...
    i think you might have been right

I just got some .20 nichrome from andrei and this **** is *so* much thicker compared to the .20 nichrome I had before.. unless andrei sent me some kanthal or something by mistake

six turns or thereabouts with 4 strands of wick is giving me roughly 1.5-1.6ohms

i wonder wtf wire the other ".20" I have is

--edit

i think it's .13
    i measured roughly equivelant lengths of wire from the .13 and .15 I have and compared to the supposed .20 and it measured out pretty similar to the .13.. was kinda similar to the .15 too but they're similar enough in size that I guess it wouldnt be a huge difference and I was a bit fast and loose with the distance between the meter connectors as it's a pain in the balls trying to get them seated properly on a piece of loose wire

it also looks a bit thinner than the .15 I got from andrei so .13 is looking the most likely

this does explain a few things :)

• Advertisement

ok
    so im using the actual .20 nichrome
    1.5ish ohm coil at 4.3 volts
    it's pretty much perfect

all the fiddling i've been doing trying to get this right... all because the wire i'd bought was mislabelled :)

ok
    so im using the actual .20 nichrome
    1.5ish ohm coil at 4.3 volts
    it's pretty much perfect

all the fiddling i've been doing trying to get this right... all because the wire i'd bought was mislabelled :)

That sounds bang on now.
    4 strands , 6 turns of .20 wire with Andreis wick would get me that measurement too.

3.4 - 3.6 v would do me there but there are more things to consider like the juice stength and pg/vg ratio which would swing the voltage either way.

Another turn would bring you to 1.7/8 Ohms, plenty of wire covering the wick and more vapour.

Ya still getting that harsh kind of kick out of it?
    I will find out the size of the hole and still consider making it bigger, don't wanna screw it up either if i wanted to sell it.

Another thing, he is getting clear cases for the RDA i think which i prefer, i like to see what's going on in atties easily !

the kick is a little softer on that one alright, I just did an 8 turn coil which came out to around 1.7-1.8ohms but the th is a little harsrher.. I think two of the coils are a bit too close which is causing that

i thought he stopped doing clear cases for it because they were too imprecise with the measurements.. be cool to have one alright, id like to see that vapour building up while i take a draw and it'd save me having to take it apart to get a look at stuff

the kick is a little softer on that one alright, I just did an 8 turn coil which came out to around 1.7-1.8ohms but the th is a little harsrher.. I think two of the coils are a bit too close which is causing that

i thought he stopped doing clear cases for it because they were too imprecise with the measurements.. be cool to have one alright, id like to see that vapour building up while i take a draw and it'd save me having to take it apart to get a look at stuff

Did you turn the voltage up as well ?
    Try it at 3.7 v.

What way is your wick now then, 4 strands under coil and 2 tails?
    What length are you cutting the wick before winding etc

The more info we gather to set this thing up properly the better :)

Saw a post earlier about the clear case, maybe it was quoted from a while back.

heading out for dinner now but ill reply properly when I get back

i have the 4 strands looped under the coil with 2 strands in the case nbut the looped 4 strands are so long that the loop kinda sits into the case.. if you get me
    I tried it with 2 strands only and i wasnt really hapy with the wicking but I'll give it another go in the future.. this way I get 4 strands wicking pretty much but the extra 2 strands are all tidied up in the loop so it just looks tidier :)

ill try get a proper digital camera and take pics when I get back

i dont really mesure it out before I cut the wick, I just roll out a length that seems right and cut it then whatever I dont need once the coil is made i chop off.. ive gotten good enough at measuring it by eye so I dont have to cut much off at the end

i think ill do up another coil with 8 turns and try it at lower voltages first.. trying it now and im getting good flavour but there's something in the background, which I think is the singed wick from going to high with it

pics of the coil/wick
    this one came out at 1.5ohms, seems a bit low for that many turns

not entirely thrilled with this one.. great vapour and very good flavour but it's missing that something
    I made one coil once in the long long ago and I used some liqua turkish tobacco, it came out tasting amazing so every coil I make I use the liqua turkish as my benchmark. this one comes pretty close, but it's missing that something ... can't put my finger on it

Does either Kanthal or the fibreglass wick have a taste? I'm struggling to create the same clean flavour as I got with the nichrome wire and group buy wick. There's always a king of background taste that I can't seem to get rid of.

I didn't use a lighter on the wire cos I don't have one - must buy one - but does that affect the taste?

Also the background taste I get is very like the taste I got with the iMist I think.

kanthal does have a stronger initial taste than nichrome, heating it with the lighter helps get rid of it

what I heard/read is kanthal has the stronger taste but will over time dissapear completely
    nichrome has the lesser taste and it will lessen over time but never completely go away

in both cases running a lighter flame over it before you coil helps

• Advertisement

Must try that then. Janey Mac, this stuff would drive you barmy trying to get it perfect.

Still though, I remember my first vape with the RDA a couple of weeks ago. No comparison to carto's and tanks or clearo's.

Noticed my last coil/wick looked a bit on the hairy side and was spitting a bit so made up yet another one.......read some stuff about shards today and it worried me a bit just in case it was spitting off little shards.

Wonder could you put a little bit of cotton wool in the drip tip just in case? Probably just trap vapour though and get wet I'd imagine.

Advertisement