Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rate My Team thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Nuts102

What do people think first draft.

De Gea

Shawcross
    Heitanga
    Collocini

Ireland
    Allen
    Toure
    Kagawa

Aguero
    Rooney
    Bent

Subs: Jasskelainen Dyer Fabio Collison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

manual_man wrote: »
    solid team sm

2 things i would do. dyer --> noble siggy --> bale but it has a nice strong look to it

d'oh just realized you already have noble, ehhhh maloney maybe! lol

Y'know, I had a team put together based on all the good advice that everyone here was contributing and after looking at it, it was pretty much the same as a lot of other guys. Had to change it after that as it's no good picking the same team as everyone else.

Was going to get Lallana in but was horrified to find he's 6mill. He may be the Saints best player but I was hoping for a 5.5mill price tag. Ah sure maybe when I'm drunk one night (like plenty of choices last year! :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

smokingman wrote: »
    Y'know, I had a team put together based on all the good advice that everyone here was contributing and after looking at it, it was pretty much the same as a lot of other guys. Had to change it after that as it's no good picking the same team as everyone else.

Was going to get Lallana in but was horrified to find he's 6mill. He may be the Saints best player but I was hoping for a 5.5mill price tag. Ah sure maybe when I'm drunk one night (like plenty of choices last year! :rolleyes: )

Some of the best decisions ive made in this game i dont ever remember making;)... but also some of the worst to be fair haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

215482.jpg

First draft, top heavy I know but that's worked in the past for me, might get one top defender yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Breaking my rule of no new players aat the start and also torres in could lead to a week 3 wildcard . Is it worth having a 3rd expensive strikes like bent ?
    Untitled_351.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

My latest offering:

7694568538_e55e4ace68.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Mignolet

Vertonghen Cole A Rafael Fabio

Pienaar Yaya Toure Nolan Kagawa

Torres Bent

Begovic Harte Kebe Jelavic

Thoughts? Just a quick draft!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Krul

Fabio Riise Clichy

Valencia Silva Bale Hazard

Ba Agureo Pogrebnyak

Thoughts??? likely will be my starting team come the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

smokingman wrote: »

If you've got a similar team to everyone on here, then you're going to do better than 90% of FF players.

If you're looking to beat friends and co-workers in private leagues, there's absolutely no harm in having a boards-made team. Presuming you're the only one on here, you'll be favourite to win those leagues by a mile.

If you're looking to do well in the Boards leagues, then making a bunch of changes probably won't work either. The key to beating the rest of us isn't in finding a bunch of alternative players, it's in making the right captain choices, and making maybe 1 or 2 great transfers earlier than the rest of us.

Seriously, all last season I watched so many players with good scores go down the route of trying to find players the rest of us didn't have... and it turned out the rest of us didn't have those players for a good reason, and every single one of those boards members dropped from contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bryan01

First Post on boards, went with a safety first approach. Any suggestions/Critiques?

De Gea/Federici

A.Cole, Taylor.S, Hughes, Fabio, Clyne

Bale, Valencia, Larsson, Taarabt, Guthrie

Rooney, Aguero, Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

carlcon wrote: »
    If you've got a similar team to everyone on here, then you're going to do better than 90% of FF players.

If you're looking to beat friends and co-workers in private leagues, there's absolutely no harm in having a boards-made team. Presuming you're the only one on here, you'll be favourite to win those leagues by a mile.

If you're looking to do well in the Boards leagues, then making a bunch of changes probably won't work either. The key to beating the rest of us isn't in finding a bunch of alternative players, it's in making the right captain choices, and making maybe 1 or 2 great transfers earlier than the rest of us.

Seriously, all last season I watched so many players with good scores go down the route of trying to find players the rest of us didn't have... and it turned out the rest of us didn't have those players for a good reason, and every single one of those boards members dropped from contention.
    I'm so glad I found this forum on Boards(and the website as a whole) last year. I was doing awful in FF and I stumbled upon this. I read the comments and took advice and I soared up the rankings! It was my first season playing FF and hopefully I can improve this season.

Bryan01 wrote: »
    First Post on boards, went with a safety first approach. Any suggestions/Critiques?

De Gea/Federici

Rooney, Aguero, Graham

Solid team alright. I don't like Taarabt myself, but I do see his potential.

Looks like you've got the main areas covered well. If all perform like they should, it'll be a top team.

Keep and eye on Taylor though, doesn't he have fitness issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ok this is the team ill be going with baring injury, I think its a nicely balanced team, one concern for me is that Dea Gea could be open to rotation

I have settled on Michu and Walters as my 6.5m midfielders, I know Michu hasnt played in the premier league before but hes a big man and his record in spain cant be ignored, also walters pre season form has sealed the deal for him so pieenar just misses out

Noble or Maloney are the Obvious 5m midfield enablers so Ive went went noble

Kagawa and hazard could be risks but I think they will have stormers for their new clubs this season, I think siggy will be great for spurs too and only for hazards double gameweek I could have been tempted to go with him instead

Upfront ive went with Aguero , who is a no brainer and the main man at city, Pog is the 5m filler and with the double gameweek hes the best choice in that bracket, lastly ive gone with Torres, with Drogba gone he should be the main man up front for chelsea this season and with the extra creativity behind him, he could be a new man, however I know its a risk and the only reason I have in in at the beginning is his double gameweek, which is why I have 2m in the bank for that transfer to rooney in gameweek 2:), so lads what yethink?

rsz_marks_brill_team2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bryan01

Solid team alright. I don't like Taarabt myself, but I do see his potential.

Looks like you've got the main areas covered well. If all perform like they should, it'll be a top team.

Keep and eye on Taylor though, doesn't he have fitness issues?

Cheers for reply. May switch Taarabt out for the more proven Nolan. Taylor.S has had injury problems, but seems to be making his return to action steadily over pre-season. Greater goal threat at the same price as Colo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I'm finally starting to settle on my GW1 team. Can't post a picture cause I'm in work.

So far I have:
    Begovic - Foster

Lescott - STaylor - Cuellar - Clark - McCartney

Hazard - Siggy - Noble - Pienaar - Walters

Aguero - Torres + 2.0m - Graham

Both keepers play for solid mid-table sides, cost 9.5m total and rotate home/away perfectly until GW16. Begovic being dropped for Sorenson is my only worry but Stoke concede a lot less when Begovic plays so I'm pretty sure he'll be first choice.

In defence, Lescott will play every week. The other spots will be filled by two from the other four. STaylor and Cuellar rotate perfectly all season and both teams are strong at home. McCartney (or whichever West Ham 4.0m is a guaranteed starter) and Clarke rotate perfectly until GW16 and both play for teams with great opening fixtures.

In midfield, I've gone with Hazard and Siggy who I both think will be class for their teams. Nice opening set of fixtures for both teams too. They're both expensive so if they're not scoring well they can easily be replaced. Pienaar and Walters at 6.5m should be pretty reliable. Plenty of options in that price bracket so, again, both can easily be replaced if need be. Noble is unlikely to see much gametime in my 3-4-3 formation but is on penos and frees so should do a job if needed.

Up front, I've gone with the popular Aguero, Graham and Torres option with 2.0m in the bank to upgrade Torres to Rooney in GW2/3 depending on how things pan out in the first GW. I really wanted Bent for his fixtures but Graham's are just as nice and Bent is 2.5m more expensive.

I sometimes focus on the positives of my team too much so if anyone has any criticism of my guys, I'd appreciate it.

De Gea
    ACole Lescott Mariappa
    Hazard Sigurdsson Noble Pienaar
    Torres Aguero Graham

Jaask Maloney Barnett McCartney

..with 2m left for Torres->Rooney as I want Utd cover.

I keep chopping and changing midfield. I've put in Hazard because of the double game week but I'd normally be happier staying away from risks. Mariappa is in because I have three 4.0 defenders and he has a DGW, that's all! Ideally I'd like some Arsenal cover too but can't have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

What you think lads
    [IMG]http://C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\Fantasy Football[/IMG]

For the life of me I cant just paste a print screen of my team in, total tard of highest order.

Friedel£5.5 Begovic£4.5

Rafael£5.5 Lescott£6.5 Jenkinson£4.5 McCartney£4.0 Cole A£6.5

Valencia£9.0 Dyer£5.5 Hazard£9.5 Yaya Toure£8.0 Lennon£7.0

Torres£10.0 Tevez£9.0 Pogrebnyak£5.0

Looks like Tevez will get some game time now, not sure about jenkinson, would like a better spurs mid but cant afford it, all money is spent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

james123 wrote: »
    What you think lads
    [IMG]http://C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\Fantasy Football[/IMG]

For the life of me I cant just paste a print screen of my team in, total tard of highest order.

wouldn't go near lennon myself. better choices out there for the price

darego wrote: »
    wouldn't go near lennon myself. better choices out there for the price

might take out valencia for 6 mill midfielder then upgrade lennon still undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Bryan01 wrote: »

De Gea/Federici

Rooney, Aguero, Graham

Not a bad team. I take it Hughes in your defence is Aaron Hughes of Fulham, if so i would swap him for Carlos Cuellar of Sunderland. Hughes scored very well Fantasy Football wise for the 2010/11 season and even the two seasons before that and had a good partnership with Hangeland but for some reason Martin Jol did not seem to fancy him last season and he did not play him as much. The reason for Cuellar is because he is also 4.5m and he will rotate perfectly all season with Steven Taylor of Newcastle depending on who is playing home or away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

My team so far...(Sorry unable to post pic... on ****ty work PC)

de Gea

Simpson Fabio Lescott Shawcross

Kagawa Hazard Sigurdsson

Pog Aguero Torres

Subs: Begovic Nobel Britton McCartney

2 Mil left to switch out Torres after DGW if he doesn't do the business for probably Rooney... All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated...

stephen_k wrote: »
    My team so far...(Sorry unable to post pic... on ****ty work PC)

de Gea

Simpson Fabio Lescott Shawcross

Kagawa Hazard Sigurdsson

Pog Aguero Torres

Subs: Begovic Nobel Britton McCarthney

2 Mil left to switch out Torres after DGW if he doesn't do the business for probably Rooney... All thoughts and advice greatly appreciated...

de gea is to expensive cheaper keepers out there , fabio in a qpr defence wont get many clean sheets, is kagawa nailed in to start ? britton got very little points last year but played the whole season

I'm finally starting to settle on my GW1 team. Can't post a picture cause I'm in work.

So far I have:
    Begovic - Foster

Lescott - STaylor - Cuellar - Clark - McCartney

Hazard - Siggy - Noble - Pienaar - Walters

Aguero - Torres + 2.0m - Graham

Both keepers play for solid mid-table sides, cost 9.5m total and rotate home/away perfectly until GW16. Begovic being dropped for Sorenson is my only worry but Stoke concede a lot less when Begovic plays so I'm pretty sure he'll be first choice.

In defence, Lescott will play every week. The other spots will be filled by two from the other four. STaylor and Cuellar rotate perfectly all season and both teams are strong at home. McCartney (or whichever West Ham 4.0m is a guaranteed starter) and Clarke rotate perfectly until GW16 and both play for teams with great opening fixtures.

In midfield, I've gone with Hazard and Siggy who I both think will be class for their teams. Nice opening set of fixtures for both teams too. They're both expensive so if they're not scoring well they can easily be replaced. Pienaar and Walters at 6.5m should be pretty reliable. Plenty of options in that price bracket so, again, both can easily be replaced if need be. Noble is unlikely to see much gametime in my 3-4-3 formation but is on penos and frees so should do a job if needed.

Up front, I've gone with the popular Aguero, Graham and Torres option with 2.0m in the bank to upgrade Torres to Rooney in GW2/3 depending on how things pan out in the first GW. I really wanted Bent for his fixtures but Graham's are just as nice and Bent is 2.5m more expensive.

I sometimes focus on the positives of my team too much so if anyone has any criticism of my guys, I'd appreciate it.

A well thought out team, for sure. I do think, however, that pretty much everyone is going to need a United defender as well as a City one this season. Just like we all got Johnny Evans last season, I'd keep an eye out for the cheapest United defender playing regularly. Rafael being the main one on everyone's radar, I suppose.

I'd worry about how you'd do that without doing too much damage elsewhere. For me, starting with a Chelsea defender is key, with plans to swap him out for a United one in GW3.

But as I said, looks like a great team, I'm just being picky to try help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Hi all long time lurker here. This is a first attempt for this years comp.

Krul - Jaaskaleinen
    Jenkinson- Lescott- Collocini-Cole A - Fabio
    Kagawa- Britton - Hazard - Noble - Michu
    Pogrebnyak - Torres - Aguero

Having three PL newcomers may be a risk in midfield but all these have huge potential, I believe. Have sufficient funds for an early Torres to Rooney transfer and would appreciate any observations on this team.

Thanks in advance.

tom_k wrote: »
    Hi all long time lurker here. This is a first attempt for this years comp.

Having three PL newcomers may be a risk in midfield but all these have huge potential, I believe. Have sufficient funds for an early Torres to Rooney transfer and would appreciate any observations on this team.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey, and welcome to the posting world! :D

You currently have 4 players in your team who won't be playing on GW3. That could be a worry, especially since, as you say, 3 of your midfielders are new to the league and we don't know what to expect from them. It's not a total disaster that you're missing 4, because you'll have 2 free transfers before then, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Another thing that jumps out is the 10.5m you've invested in Newcastle's defence. Seems like a lot for a team that were really punching above their weight last season. I personally would downgrade Krul and keep Coloccini, but that's definitely a matter of personal preference, not a "this is definitely right" thing.

And at some point I think you're going to regret having Britton. I understand it's nice having a cheap midfielders to warm the bench, but he'll pretty much never play for you ahead of your other MFs. And when he does, you'll have to hope it's during the 1 game of the season when he gets a good score (0 goals and 0 assists last season. Also 0 bonus points). He's the one I'd upgrade with the money saved replacing Krul.

Then finally, with all the transfers you'll probably have to make, you're also going to be looking at replacing Jenkinson after a few weeks too, since Sagna is apparently back at the beginning of Sept.

I've typed a lot there, so it may seem overly critical, but I honestly don't think you've got a bad team. Just one with some niggles that could give a a nightmare week or 2 over the first 4 or 5 GWs if you need to make too many transfers so soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Father Larry Duff

Hi there, this is my lineup for gameweek 1:

Jaaskelainen
    Lescott Mariappa Cole A
    Nolan Sigurdsson Pienaar Hazard
    Graham Rooney Aguero

Subs: Begovic Maloney Cuellar Clyne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

I've typed a lot there, so it may seem overly critical, but I honestly don't think you've got a bad team. Just one with some niggles that could give a a nightmare week or 2 over the first 4 or 5 GWs if you need to make too many transfers so soon..

Not at all, Carl, this is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. I'm not comfortable with the team as it stands and what you've said gives me plenty of areas where i can improve on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Latest draught

Federici Jaskellainen

Gorkss Ivanovic Zabaleta Fabio S Taylor

Hazard Bale Noble Pienaar Taarabt

Aguero Sharp Rooney

Pretty happy for the first time

Might even keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

first.png

Let me know what you think..

Still have 2.5m in the bank to play with..

Am I crazy with Ferdinand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

this is it..the final draft..opinions,please.

ff3.jpg

Advertisement