Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you intend to vote in the upcoming EU Fiscal Treaty referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    How will you vote in the referendum?

I will be voting no. It's not the EU's place to dicate how this or any nation handles it's finances. Yes I'm aware the ECB is bailing us out.....but they're charging us interest on the loan so it's not out of the kindness of their hearts and it certainly doesn't give them the right to tell us how to run the country.

Rules and regulations enforced by a foreign interest are not wanted in this nation, as every Irish man and woman well knows, and they won't solve anything if introduced.

The only thing that is going to ensure that crap like this recession doesn't happen again is rounding up the entire circus of bogus politicians and crooked businessmen with the scumbags that represent them, bayonet them slowly, one at a time, and dump them in the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

vicwatson wrote: »
    For Mr Sarkozy my vote will be - Non

For Ms Merkel my vote will be - Nein

You thought you didn't have to ask the lowly peasants from Ireland didn't you. Well fook you and the horses you rode in on.

When this referendum doesn't pass in Ireland don't come crying to us. No more shall we bow to your demands. No more austerity. No more looking at our budgets and finances, goddamn none of your business.
    No more austerity? oh holy lol!!!!

You think this is austerity? This? What we have now? Good God!!!!

Let's vote no so and see what happens when we have to balance our budget overnight. You'll be remembering now as the good ol days.

i prolly won't be living here so it won't matter to me but g'luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dont know how I will vote,I shall do some reading here and elsewhere before I make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Why do I get the feeling that most will vote no due to sein fein saying we will be stuck with austrity measures for alot longer than 2015 and those trying to punish the government for bailing out the bondholders. I knew people were wishing for a ref on this just to piss off the government and as always we won't be told exactly what we are voting on so that another reason to vote no. I on the other hand will be voting yes as I don't sein fein spouting sh!te with their ink fiasco. They are the pot calling the kettle black in my opinion and guaranteed if they were in government now they would still be hitting people with taxes and charges etc as they would need to make money for the bailout just like the current government is doing regardless of how they come across as the people party. All politicans are the same. They will promise you the sun,moon and stars but when the going gets tough, they hit the little people and every government in every country goes by that rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭talkinyite

I support localisation not globalisation and centralisation, so I'll vote no.

• Advertisement

I'll be voting yes wholeheartedly on the treaty, I won't be considering past treaties, the household charge, USC, price of fuel etc so I'll vote yes. If I was considering all the other things I've mentioned I would also vote yes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

talkinyite wrote: »

Says a guy posting on an Internet forum.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No from me. What I read yesterday about the German parliament discussing a leaked document before our Government about a mini budget here was the final straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

syklops wrote: »
    Because their understanding of economic issues is "When the going gets tough, the tough rob the local Northern Rock bank(or the local stationary cupboard)"

Whereas our governments understanding is "when the going gets tough, the banks can rob the people"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

talkinyite wrote: »

Well, if you are opposed to centralisation, you'll be glad to know that Merkel's CDU passed a motion at a recent party conference that included the following:
    For the CDU, the various nations and their national identity are the defining elements of a Europe which is united in diversity. We do not want a Europe that is ruled and administered in a centralised way. This is why we advocate the basic principles of regional and local self-government, subsidiarity and proportionality. Within the parameters set by its Member States, the European Union operates in accordance with federal principles and methods.

In other words, Angela & you are thinking on the same lines.

• Advertisement

Why do I get the feeling that most will vote no due to sein fein saying we will be stuck with austrity measures for alot longer than 2015 and those trying to punish the government for bailing out the bondholders. I knew people were wishing for a ref on this just to piss off the government and as always we won't be told exactly what we are voting on so that another reason to vote no. I on the other hand will be voting yes as I don't sein fein spouting sh!te with their ink fiasco. They are the pot calling the kettle black in my opinion and guaranteed if they were in government now they would still be hitting people with taxes and charges etc as they would need to make money for the bailout just like the current government is doing regardless of how they come across as the people party. All politicans are the same. They will promise you the sun,moon and stars but when the going gets tough, they hit the little people and every government in every country goes by that rule.

VOTE YES, BECAUSE THE SHINNERS SAY VOTE NO! I can see the posters now!

That's a really educated and informed way to make up your mind.

Personally, I'll be waiting to see what we are supposed to be voting for / against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Anyone wrote: »
    No from me. What I read yesterday about the German parliament discussing a leaked document before our Government about a mini budget here was the final straw.

...But... but... the threat of another budget was just a coincidence that was innocently leaked out just after the referendum was announced!

It was just bad timing, is all! :o

"There is nothing to fear, carry on!"

You only read that yesterday and that is a contributory factor in how you will vote in the upcoming referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

RoverJames wrote: »
    You only read that yesterday and that is a contributory factor in how you will vote in the upcoming referendum?

The important two words are 'final straw'.

I would think being months behind with current affairs was a fairly important point tbh ;)

I would think being months behind with current affairs was a fairly important point tbh ;)

I think 'anyone' was pointing to yesterday's leak and not the one before the last budget.
    I hope your not 'behind with current affairs'

I'm not talking about the one last November. Maybe its yourself that needs to keep up with Current Affairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

No, no, and no again (we'll probably have to say no 3 times before they get the message)

hehe we'll have to keep voting no until SF get into power cos Finé Germans & Labour Camp will keep pushing referendums until they get a yes vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I'll vote yes, if Phil Hogan, drinks a few pints of water, straight out of my septic tank, and declares it equally as effective at treating sewage as any Dublin city treatment plant.

just make sure you eat a vindaloo the night before he drinks from your septic tank :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

There's nothing quite like an EU referendum to bring out the stupid in people.

Honestly, what's the point in trying to have a democracy when people are so willing and even proud to shirk their responsibility to be an informed voter?

• Advertisement

There's nothing quite like an EU referendum to bring out the stupid in people.

Honestly, what's the point in trying to have a democracy when people are so willing and even proud to shirk their responsibility to be an informed voter?

Haha,I think you want the type of democracy they have in Syria.

Haha,I think you want the type of democracy they have in Syria.

I thank you for amply demonstrating my contention.

I thank you for amply demonstrating my contention.

No problem, I just laugh at people like you at times, who slate people for not having the same views as you.

Just remember, it was you who called people ill informed and stupid.

No problem, I just laugh at people like you at times, who slate people for not having the same views as you.

You... really don't understand what is being said, do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

So we are being asked to vote in a set of measures which will tie us into austerity for at least another 10-15yrs. With absolutely no guarantee we'll get any 'sweeteners', i.e debt write-down which at least might reduce by a few years the crap we are going through now.

We need to grow our way out of this, and yet the government wants to stagnate our economy and cripple any green shoots by agreeing to Merkel and Sarkozys wishes? This suits the big players as it has ALWAYS done and always will. We will still get our bailout money regardless, you can 'bank' on it, because while the EU will try and bluff and doommonger their way to a Yes - neither do they want a defaulting Ireland, so we'll get it whther we are in or out of the strait jacket.

And anyone who trots out the 'better off in Europe' and 'we need a strong Euro' needs their head examined. I look at my kids and see they will be paying their taxes in 10 or 15 years time to the anonymous bond holders who seem to have our government in a hypnotic trance to pay back everything 100% of a gamble that failed.

Vote No - end of story.:mad:

There's a lot on boards.ie like that.
    Any other point of view is dismissed.
    It's their way or no way.
    Sounds a bit like gilmore before the election!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Vote no

Secure some sweeteners

Then vote yes?

Worked with Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Vote no

Secure some sweeteners

Then vote yes?

Worked with Nice

Why should Ireland get sweeteners to vote YES on this referendum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Choudary

Good day Sirs,

Unfortunately I can not vote in these election, as I am Indian citizen. I am very much confident and hoping that all Irland people will use vote wisely.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Choudary Chintapalli

• Advertisement

Why should Ireland get sweeteners to vote YES on this referendum?
    Because they would rather we were 'in' than 'out'.

Think about it, if we vote no and in the future we need another bailout, we wont be able to access funds from the ECB.

If this happens we will have to default on loans made to us and that will cause untold damage to the euro project.

Advertisement