Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Engineering Project 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ShaneCliff

Was given the brief for the rollercoaster/thrill machine last week, and most of our class are happy enough with the it.
    Ive a basic concept sorted, so just wondering other peoples thoughts and reactions??
    There isnt a whole load of room for variety in the projects, as the easiest concept by far is the seat being attached to a shaft and spun around, similar to a crane!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As usual with these examwork threads, do not post pictures or drawings or discuss in detail ongoing examination work. Thanks.

We were told simply that the portfolio isn't checked thoroughly, so have it full of design ideas and pictures of the project in different stages and things will that, and you will get the full marks. The examiners can't be bothered fully checking, so they skim through, and if it looks like everything is there, you're sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ShaneCliff wrote: »
    We were told simply that the portfolio isn't checked thoroughly, so have it full of design ideas and pictures of the project in different stages and things will that, and you will get the full marks. The examiners can't be bothered fully checking, so they skim through, and if it looks like everything is there, you're sorted.

The SEC will love that.

I really wouldn't bank on your stuff not being checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BrianoBrains

scott96 wrote: »
    Well lads,
    What ye think about this years project? Any ideas on the design and advice on the folder?
    thanks

Repeating :( got an A2 last year.. The folder is easy if you're clever about it. Use the given headings on the marking scheme and you'll be fine.
    Also I think this years project is way harder that the batmobile, in terms of what you can do.. A lot of projects this year are going to look plain enough, but as long as you fit the marking scheme marks are easy to pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 marshmallow111

Could anyone give me some bit of help with the design please , really struggling to think of a few possible solutions!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

this year is hard enough, my class seem to love the idea of roller coasters, personally i might go with something like a pendelum, but what i fear will be the biggest challenge is not having wires getting tangled seeing as basically cart needs to move circular and linear, then needs to be on a robotic arm also capable of going 360 then needs another wire for safety feature

It's circular OR linear

thats what i thought but the teachers in my school are persistent on saying it has to be both

Not a single person in my class is doing a linear swing arm, as it's just too hard to design.
    So we all have something similar-ish in a live shaft that comes up out of the base and does 180' and then an arm comes out of that shaft, and the seat is attached to that and then the seat spins a full 360'. Imagine a crane basically...

• Advertisement

Could anyone give me some bit of help with the design please , really struggling to think of a few possible solutions!

Imagine something similar to a swingset. Think about it, you should get the idea.

Not a single person in my class is doing a linear swing arm, as it's just too hard to design.
    So we all have something similar-ish in a live shaft that comes up out of the base and does 180' and then an arm comes out of that shaft, and the seat is attached to that and then the seat spins a full 360'. Imagine a crane basically...

would you have any sketches done??

RoRo979 wrote: »
    would you have any sketches done??

Yeah, Ive one or two very rough sketches done. I'm not able to put them up though.

im thinking of either going with a tea cups type or a spinning pendulum. now what really confuses me is how this robotic arm is going to operate, how could we have a cart going around and then a robotic arm also moving in an erratic fashion. i was told by my teacher that linkages are the way to go but i dont know how im going to build that into a cart thats going to be moving

You could definitely use linkage alright.. If u can't imagine it, look at windscreen whisper linkage and you'll have an idea.. It's a fairly simple mechanism.. And u could use the linkage as your arm, which moves your tea cup (chair) an also have that spinning 360 with simple spur gear or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

We all consider it very hard. We have only designed our own project once before and that was a complete disaster. Doing the folder seems to be mostly putting stuff in for the sake of having it in. Not to mention we don't get along terribly well with our teacher. This is going to be somewhat of a nightmare, in all honesty.

agreed this will be a tough project, im thinking of a tea cups type idea, main bottom plate will be moving circular while the arm will be moving linear from one side to another while also moving around the seat, i think its definately doable but the linkage system gets me for the robotic arm. also how i could get something to stop at a particular point e.g right at the bottom without having to perfectly time flicking the switch

RoRo979 wrote: »
    im thinking of either going with a tea cups type or a spinning pendulum. now what really confuses me is how this robotic arm is going to operate, how could we have a cart going around and then a robotic arm also moving in an erratic fashion. i was told by my teacher that linkages are the way to go but i dont know how im going to build that into a cart thats going to be moving

Server Motor?? or a custom drop cam (so the tea cup will suddenly drop at different stages.)

The "cart" can be as basic as you like, all it has to be is a seat, with a harness! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Folio is worth 40 marks. It will be the difference of a grade at least if you do what you are planning.
    Folios are checked fully and rigorously.

Filling it with pictures of the project in different stages of completion, will indeed cause it to be skimmed through, as there is little or nothing to give marks to. I am aware of a folio with over 100 pages with full CAD drawings of every piece. Drawings will only get 10 marks. The rest of the folio was poorly completed resulting in an average grade.
    DO NOT get lulled into this sense that examiner won't check.

Follow the headings given will get you on the right track.

When they ask for linear or circular motion could attaching wheels to my base similar to a car and making it drive straight okay???

What headings would these be? the ones on the marking scheme?
    Im finding it so difficult to do the folio our teacher hasnt given us much of a structure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

When they ask for linear or circular motion could attaching wheels to my base similar to a car and making it drive straight okay???

While technically this would satisfy the brief, you would probably fail to gain marks in other aspects of the marking scheme. eg. Inventiveness etc.
    It seems like a weak solution to the problem for a HL student.

Im finding it so difficult to do the folio our teacher hasnt given us much of a structure[/QUOTE]

This is an excerpt from a previous LC Engineering thread. Different project but the same general theme when completing the folder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skykes View Post
    For the brief our teacher gave us out a single A4 Sheet as instructions.

Page 1 - Exam number
    Page 2 - Title
    Page 3 - introduction, specifications, time given.
    Page 4 - Analysis

He then said we should stretch that across 15-20 pages(for HL).

What am I supposed to write for Introduction, specifications, analysis and Title?

The only heading you should be using are those given on the pink sheet with the brief on it. They are given with the amount of marks allocated to each. Use the marks as a guide for the amount of material needed in each section.
    eg. The sections with 5 marks should be roughly half the length of the 10 mark sections.

This is what i posted earlier in the thread; it has all the relevant data:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by villian02 View Post
    Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

villian02 wrote: »
    While technically this would satisfy the brief, you would probably fail to gain marks in other aspects of the marking scheme. eg. Inventiveness etc.
    It seems like a weak solution to the problem for a HL student.

Im finding it so difficult to do the folio our teacher hasnt given us much of a structure

This is an excerpt from a previous LC Engineering thread. Different project but the same general theme when completing the folder.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skykes View Post
    For the brief our teacher gave us out a single A4 Sheet as instructions.

Page 1 - Exam number
    Page 2 - Title
    Page 3 - introduction, specifications, time given.
    Page 4 - Analysis

He then said we should stretch that across 15-20 pages(for HL).

What am I supposed to write for Introduction, specifications, analysis and Title?

The only heading you should be using are those given on the pink sheet with the brief on it. They are given with the amount of marks allocated to each. Use the marks as a guide for the amount of material needed in each section.
    eg. The sections with 5 marks should be roughly half the length of the 10 mark sections.

This is what i posted earlier in the thread; it has all the relevant data:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by villian02 View Post
    Use a microswitch to limit the movement of the trolley. It has a little arm on a spring that moves and flicks the switch. Set up one at either end of your jib and have the trolley hit it so it stops moving.

@ DAA Donn: Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.[/quote]

Thanks very much!! It was my teachers suggestion for us all to put either wheels or tracks on the base so I'll go ahead with it I reckon as I don't have much designs myself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

i am using two stepper motors controlled by an arduriuo . simple but effective

figs666 wrote: »
    i am using two stepper motors controlled by an arduriuo . simple but effective

Mine will end up being like one motor well placed haha.

This project is a joke to me. Up to this point I have not designed a single thing but now I'm expected to do just that as part of my Leaving Certificate. I did specify "to me" however as I hope to God almighty that other schools actually encourage their students to design a project before the official one.

Two things this Leaving Cert engineering course has thought me:
    • I can't design for my life.
    • If all schools are like mine; Not having you design stuff or at least encouraging thinking of that sort before or at least from the start of 5th year then the entire course is a bad joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Mine will end up being like one motor well placed haha.

This project is a joke to me. Up to this point I have not designed a single thing but now I'm expected to do just that as part of my Leaving Certificate. I did specify "to me" however as I hope to God almighty that other schools actually encourage their students to design a project before the official one.

Two things this Leaving Cert engineering course has thought me:
    • I can't design for my life.
    • If all schools are like mine; Not having you design stuff or at least encouraging thinking of that sort before or at least from the start of 5th year then the entire course is a bad joke.

can you post up the project requirements and criteria ?

cheers man

figs666 wrote: »
    can you post up the project requirements and criteria ?

cheers man

Did you not get them from your teacher?

https://examinations.ie/exam/LC_2015_Engineering_Technology_Project_Design_-_Higher_Level_-_General_Directions_to_Candidates.pdf

I feel like this is one of those indirect jabs that I see on the boards from time to time. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 13bcrested

Most people in my class are fairly happy with the brief. There is a fair bit of scope for individuality and inventiveness. Considering we've only ever worked form drawings we were given before, it's been a challenge, but it's fun non the less and going well.

Pretty much ripping off the robocoaster with a twist myself. I have a slight problem in that I have a rotating column and am feeding the wires up through it, any ideas to stop it tangling?

13bcrested wrote: »
    Most people in my class are fairly happy with the brief. There is a fair bit of scope for individuality and inventiveness. Considering we've only ever worked form drawings we were given before, it's been a challenge, but it's fun non the less and going well.

Pretty much ripping off the robocoaster with a twist myself. I have a slight problem in that I have a rotating column and am feeding the wires up through it, any ideas to stop it tangling?

How are you actually going to achieve this? Everything we have is far too chunky to make a meaningful design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Declan7426

Sorry to joun the conversation so late but ye are all reading the brief wrong. The seat only must turn through 360' not the arm. All the arm has to do is follow a circular path. In short there are 2 movements not 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Declan7426

Sorry to join the conversation so late but ye are all reading the brief wrong. The seat only must turn through 360' not the arm. All the arm has to do is follow a circular path. In short there are 2 movements not 3.

Advertisement