Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice for Home Ec?!

• 23-10-2014 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm in 4th year and I'm changing from History to Home Ec.. I didn't do Home Ec for the Junior Cert though.. Do I need to have done it?? Like, will it be hard to start from the Leaving Cert course when I didn't do any of the Junior Cert course? :/ Is Home Ec hard in general??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Having the Junior Cert course is helpful but not necessary. Most of the senior Home Ec classes I taught over the years consisted of about one third students who were new to the subject. If you did Science for the Junior Cert that will help in the nutrition area.
    Bottom line, it's a hard subject (whether you've studied it previously or not) but very doable if you're willing to put the work in.
    If you want to make things easier for yourself in 5th year you could read over some of the course in advance, just to familiarise yourself with the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Home ec is an easy A2 but a difficult A1, I got an A2 with no effort at all. However I had it for my Junior Cert too

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Home ec is one of the few subjects you can take up without having done it for JC.
    I also got an A2 with very little work, but I'd agree that its a hard A1.
    You'll probably find the nutrition part difficult but if you like science you should be fine. The sociology is pretty much common sense but you have to be good at waffling to do well in it, its a massive part of the course and comes up every year in the long questions and the elective.
    If I was you I would have a flick through the textbook and exam papers and maybe talk to a teacher about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dob1234

Make sure you know the fod science/nutrition chapter - thats the hardest chapter, if you understand that then you should have no worries, just learn the material as you do it in class and you'll be fine

Advertisement