Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

amdublin if you don't like the thread then you don't have to read it.
    If you want to see other thread about more positive things in the area start them, cos seriously your like a scratched record.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Amdublin, your opinions have been heard and the majority disagree, and both mods have said this thread will stay open. Please stop derailing the thread, this is a final warning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK, so I've merged a lot of the crime type threads into this Neighbourhood Watch thread to keep them together the way it was done in the past (thanks to Johnwest288 for the reminder).

Enjoy, but play nice!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, time for some statistics to add a little perspective to the debate. The latest burglary statistics for 2011 were released by the Gardaí yesterday, and while they show that the number of burglaries in Dublin Metropolitan Region West (which includes the Blanchardstown, Lucan, Clondalkin and Naas Garda districts) have increased, the increase is not as sharp as it has been in some other areas.

Region % change Burglaries
    Meath 40% 1,212
    Laois/Offaly 32% 974
    Sligo/Leitrim 30% 377
    Cork North 29% 439
    Kildare 26% 1,687
    Cork West 24% 334
    Tipperary 23% 742
    Wexford 22% 879
    Cavan/Monaghan 20% 628
    Donegal 16% 475
    Limerick 13% 1,480
    Westmeath 10% 569
    Dublin West 10% 2,074
    Wicklow 9% 1,138
    Dublin South Central 8% 1,644
    Kilkenny/Carlow 5% 1,026
    Dublin North Central 4% 1,022
    Cork City 1% 903
    Louth 1% 926
    Dublin North 1% 2,037
    Dublin South -1% 2,374
    Dublin East -3% 1,368
    Kerry -4% 348
    Waterford -5% 712
    Clare -6% 361
    Mayo -13% 354
    Galway -15% 939

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Zaph wrote: »
    OK, time for some statistics to add a little perspective to the debate. The latest burglary statistics for 2011 were released by the Gardaí yesterday, and while they show that the number of burglaries in Dublin Metropolitan Region West (which includes the Blanchardstown, Lucan, Clondalkin and Naas Garda districts) have increased, the increase is not as sharp as it has been in some other areas.

Region % change Burglaries
    Meath 40% 1,212
    Laois/Offaly 32% 974
    Sligo/Leitrim 30% 377
    Cork North 29% 439
    Kildare 26% 1,687
    Cork West 24% 334
    Tipperary 23% 742
    Wexford 22% 879
    Cavan/Monaghan 20% 628
    Donegal 16% 475
    Limerick 13% 1,480
    Westmeath 10% 569
    Dublin West 10% 2,074
    Wicklow 9% 1,138
    Dublin South Central 8% 1,644
    Kilkenny/Carlow 5% 1,026
    Dublin North Central 4% 1,022
    Cork City 1% 903
    Louth 1% 926
    Dublin North 1% 2,037
    Dublin South -1% 2,374
    Dublin East -3% 1,368
    Kerry -4% 348
    Waterford -5% 712
    Clare -6% 361
    Mayo -13% 354
    Galway -15% 939

Interesting Stats, I deduce from this

burglaries in Dublin Metropolitan Region West (which includes the Blanchardstown, Lucan, Clondalkin and Naas Garda districts)

2074 divided by 52 weeks per year equate to just under 40 burglars per week. So an average of 5 per night in the Dublin West area. Anyone know rough population of Dublin West area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

ronan45 wrote: »
    Interesting Stats, I deduce from this

burglaries in Dublin Metropolitan Region West (which includes the Blanchardstown, Lucan, Clondalkin and Naas Garda districts)

2074 divided by 52 weeks per year equate to just under 40 burglars per week. So an average of 5 per night in the Dublin West area. Anyone know rough population of Dublin West area?

I think Blanch has a population of about 70,000....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

rolion wrote: »
    One of the issue that we can face with the CCTV is that neighbours can take advantage of "my" private installed system,asking for footage recording if something going funny !
    How do you make the diference between 'that' child scratching the chap's car,can you bring evidence to one of the parents or in front of others,you coming as a third party !?? No way ...

Also,the CCTV will detter only if anyone trying funny things...i am advising investing massively in the PIR sensors around the house,front house and back garden.Once the night comes,the sensor will pick-up any strange move and turn on lights and, if too close to house (proximity range set) just set active the alarm/siren internal and external located,separated from built-in alarm system. I reckon the sensors does a better job than CCTV...

The solution to that is to say it only covers your own property.

I think deterents are like saving pennies to save a pound. Its a cumulative effect. I don't think they will deter someone who's determined. But
    they will make someone pick an easier target.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

BostonB wrote: »
    The solution to that is to say it only covers your own property.

I think deterents are like saving pennies to save a pound. Its a cumulative effect. I don't think they will deter someone who's determined. But
    they will make someone pick an easier target.

Have to agree, where there is a will there is a way.
    Any form of defense can only act as a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

altor wrote: »
    Have to agree, where there is a will there is a way.
    Any form of defense can only act as a deterrent.

at the end of the day (i meant during night time),i guess that if you show many PIRs,CCTV,cameras & signs and 'other detterant' systems,you may signal some "high visibility" of your own property ,saying that may have something valuable inside the home !
    please correct me if i'm wrong

PS
    I've had house broke-in,by the time i realised that situation,looking after material stuff (TV,laptop,camera,etc),by the time i understood what's going on...when i realised that,i fcuked the stuff,ran upstairs in kids bedroom to see if they are still with us...
    the fcukers took a painting worth 50c,looked through my hand bag and took car keys,trying to open the car and,according to Garda,they were prepapring to throw in all the goods if it wasn't for me earlier wake-up when i've heard my wife car alarm and she was sleeping beside me...

PPS
    i wonder if the guys are reading these posts and take corective action based on our content !??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

rolion wrote: »
    at the end of the day (i meant during night time),i guess that if you show many PIRs,CCTV,cameras & signs and 'other detterant' systems,you may signal some "high visibility" of your own property ,saying that may have something valuable inside the home !
    please correct me if i'm wrong

PS
    I've had house broke-in,by the time i realised that situation,looking after material stuff (TV,laptop,camera,etc),by the time i understood what's going on...when i realised that,i fcuked the stuff,ran upstairs in kids bedroom to see if they are still with us...
    the fcukers took a painting worth 50c,looked through my hand bag and took car keys,trying to open the car and,according to Garda,they were prepapring to throw in all the goods if it wasn't for me earlier wake-up when i've heard my wife car alarm and she was sleeping beside me...

PPS
    i wonder if the guys are reading these posts and take corective action based on our content !??

Who knows what might happen, if you don't have an alarm and your next door neighbour does then who would you say is the easiest target. That is not saying just because you have an alarm you wont get broken into, any system you install will only act as a deterrent.

Google has more information than this thread so I would not worry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think the first thing you need to do is make your house less inviting by beefing up basic security.

of course someone will always get in if they really want to, but most of these burglaries seem to be pretty opportunistic amateurs going for the softer targets for an easy win.

of course this would then make your neighbours slightly more likely to be targets, but that's where increased awareness and a bit of community spirit come in.

communicate the situation to them and help spread the word and recommend they up their own security too and so on.

sooner or later the area as a whole becomes more secure and the dirty scumbag thieves move on to somewhere else.

as the old saying goes, you don't need to outrun the lion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Question

Did anyone pick up the Evening Herald Yesterday? Headline was Summit along the lines of "Burglaries epidemic sweeps Dublin.
    In the piece it mentioned gangs were calling to houses to see if anyone was at home. So i am assuming its under the guise of offering a service.
    So on that basis as someone who does not answer the door when im not expecting anyone, Should I be answering my door if there is a knock? Lol I mean by not answering the door do your chances of being robbed go up as the Thiefs ASSUME your never home? And thus you become a high priority target for them

I think people missed this point.
    It seems to make sense to answer the door to show that somebody is home.

How about leaving lights or tv on when you are out ? Good or bad idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

On a street with 9 houses with signs of activity vs 2 that are dark and obviously empty I'm guessing those 2 would be the first choice no? (Assuming no other factors)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

amdublin wrote: »
    Like Jesus Christ do we really need a thread listing the daily burgularies to make us aware of home security???
    I've been following this thread for ages and you know what I GET IT we need to be security conscious at the moment and ensure that you keep your home as secure as possible. Plus CCTV is a great deterrent. Plus be careful about strangers calling

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Do we really need a constantly updated thread to remind us of this??? Will we all suddenly forget to be security conscious without this thread????

Time for you to stop following it so and leave the rest of us to it, Thanks!

i reckon is time for us to cool down...is doesn't make sense throwing words one to another and let 'the others' to laugh !!

Let's try to get in the guys mindset,without pointing fingers ! That will be a great achievment !

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

amdublin wrote: »
    Like Jesus Christ do we really need a thread listing the daily burgularies to make us aware of home security???
    I've been following this thread for ages and you know what I GET IT we need to be security conscious at the moment and ensure that you keep your home as secure as possible. Plus CCTV is a great deterrent. Plus be careful about strangers calling
    Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.
    Do we really need a constantly updated thread to remind us of this??? Will we all suddenly forget to be security conscious without this thread????

You know, you could just NOT come into this thread every day if it offends you so much, I think a few feel they are benefiting from it so let them be. Im sure you have better things to be doing then replying to everyones posts in here saying how they didnt need to just post that or say that bla bla etc etc etc ..

:)

Also they covered the recent robberies and the likes on Spin1038 today at lunch time, was a decent listen. That ballbriggan facebook neightbourhood watch thing sounds like good idea.

i don't think it would take much to get something going in any given neighbourhood either.

try and get as many people together as you can and go over a few ideas and see what works.

even something as simple as getting a dog walking group together where you could borrow a neighbour's dog to take it for a a walk around your estate. good for the dog and good for you, as well as increasing the amount of regular foot traffic and making it difficult for thieves to find a quiet time to do their scouting and robbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

You know, you could just NOT come into this thread every day if it offends you so much, I think a few feel they are benefiting from it so let them be. Im sure you have better things to be doing then replying to everyones posts in here saying how they didnt need to just post that or say that bla bla etc etc etc ..

:)

Also they covered the recent robberies and the likes on Spin1038 today at lunch time, was a decent listen. That ballbriggan facebook neightbourhood watch thing sounds like good idea.

Yeah i like that. so who volunteers to set up the facebook Neighbourhood Dublin 15 Neighbourhood Watch Page?

Yeah i like that. so who volunteers to set up the facebook Neighbourhood Dublin 15 Neighbourhood Watch Page?
    TBH, i think D15 is far too big an area to have as a single neighbourhood watch area, i don't think it would work.

something smaller like a group for each estate, or group of estates would probably work more effectively imho.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dub XV wrote: »
    Time for you to stop following it so and leave the rest of us to it, Thanks!

amdublin hasn't posted since Gaspode posting his comment addressed to him/her above, so additional comments from yourselves are completely unnecessary. Please stay on-topic.

• Advertisement

Why do we have a to set-up a crapbook / fcukbork page when we can afford to get a domain along with a nice forum,"open" to all D15-ers !?? Then,in there we can faceborg and the non d15'ers !
    I reckon is more dynamic,open,content full and easy to manage registration by email or sms validation ?

The last thing you want is the boys logging in and reading our stories or...alarm codes !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Community Gardai are actively trying to set up an active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme for Waterville. Having trouble getting the 50% support in some clusters, tenants don't seem to want to sign up for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Community Gardai are actively trying to set up an active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme for Waterville. Having trouble getting the 50% support in some clusters, tenants don't seem to want to sign up for some reason.

Some people like to stay below the radar Athrasna for reasons specific to themselves. Dealing with authorities in anyway is a big no no to some unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

RTT wrote: »
    My mates house in Blackwood, ongar was burgaled this evening between 8 amd 9pm. They forced the front door. Alarm was not set. They have cctv so it will be interesting to see what it captured.

Just following up......Did you get an outcome to the CCTV footage???

Also could someone help me out...I am thinking of getting anti-theft paint for my back walls...I know its ment to spoil clothes however questions are

1) if a stray cat/dog/ball ( we seem to have many stray cats and pigeons who happily co-exist) catches this stuff and if it is transferred inadvertently to paths/walls or other OUTSIDE property does it cause damage to these if so is it just a wash down thats needed . The paint that Ive looked at is black which is why I'm tending towards a grease rather than a black paint. Feedback would be gratefully accepted.

2) Apart from the above is there any other deterrent (besides a dog) that can be used on the perimeter.

Ta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

gjc wrote: »
    RTT wrote: »
    My mates house in Blackwood, ongar was burgaled this evening between 8 amd 9pm. They forced the front door. Alarm was not set. They have cctv so it will be interesting to see what it captured.

Just following up......Did you get an outcome to the CCTV footage???

Also could someone help me out...I am thinking of getting anti-theft paint for my back walls...I know its ment to spoil clothes however questions are

1) if a stray cat/dog/ball ( we seem to have many stray cats and pigeons who happily co-exist) catches this stuff and if it is transferred inadvertently to paths/walls or other OUTSIDE property does it cause damage to these if so is it just a wash down thats needed . The paint that Ive looked at is black which is why I'm tending towards a grease rather than a black paint. Feedback would be gratefully accepted.

2) Apart from the above is there any other deterrent (besides a dog) that can be used on the perimeter.

Ta!!
    What about some broke glass on top of walls..?
    Paint sounds a bad idea as you say local cats will destroy the place with paw marks ,have you changed your locks to anti pick bump type also if you have a side gate, get a bar lock for it
    Maybe ypu can build wall up a bit too this means much more hassle for the scum to get in back garden ,there also some stuff you can fit to top of walls its like glass but is not as in sand paper type of thing that would cut there hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

mcriot29 wrote: »
    What about some broke glass on top of walls..?
    Paint sounds a bad idea as you say local cats will destroy the place with paw marks ,have you changed your locks to anti pick bump type also if you have a side gate, get a bar lock for it
    Maybe ypu can build wall up a bit too this means much more hassle for the scum to get in back garden ,there also some stuff you can fit to top of walls its like glass but is not as in sand paper type of thing that would cut there hands .

Don't think that's legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think (and only think - we did a law section in college years ago that I was kind of half awake for) that there isn't a problem with glass on a wall.

While you have a duty of care to everyone on your property, the level for trespassers is only not to lay traps for them or something. So as long as the glass isn't hidden or camouflaged I don't think it's a problem.

This is probably totally wrong though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

From the UK, but can't be too different over here:

Occupier’s Duty of Care to Trespassers

Anyone who owns, or controls, property has a legal duty of care to protect people on the property from foreseeable harm. This duty extends to people on the property without permission – including burglars and vandals. A householder could be sued for damages under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1984 if a burglar is injured whilst on their property. The test will be whether the householder could have predicted that a trespasser was likely to be injured. If broken glass has deliberately been placed at a likely entry-point, any subsequent injury suffered will have been entirely foreseeable.

http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/using-barbed-wire-glass-intruder-prevention-methods.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Thanks for the quick replies.....wont be going down any broken glass route ....very happy with side gate and locks...my query is only reagrding walls as I feel this is the vantage point for undesirables. Has anybody out there used the black paint stuff on walls(on the tin you see it being put on drainpipes/posts and pillars that robbers use to climb up to perhaps the upstairs windows) or would grease be the better option. I am asking because will only do this once so I want to get it right. Someone mentioned bumping up walls with trellis my brick walls are of a standard height i think what height can you go on top of this with a trellis (one side is totally my wall as I am at the end -its not a shared wall- this is the wall I have greater concern for)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Dub XV wrote: »
    Don't think that's legal?

Our back garden has broken glass cemented to the top of the wall. It has been like that 20 years now.

Most companies such as banks, pubs etc all have deterrents on their boundaries. perhaps not glass, but certainly razor wire or upright nails.

Of course it might take the look off your property but a trade off has to be made somewhere.

A mock cctv system might be useful.

I know some friends that would have a base ball bat or a hurley stick placed in more than one location in the house well out of view.

Everyone to their own.

Advertisement