Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overrated Albums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

tayto2009 wrote: »
    u2 pure class sorry thats fact....no arguments please

your wrong, no arguemnts please.
    qotsa - songs for the deaf (coulda been a great album if they chopped off 4 or 5 tracks)

That is possibly one of the greatest rock albums of our time. Your so wrong. I am personally offended by that.

As far as hating everything that band has done goes, these fall into that catagory for me.

mgmt - worst band of all time.
    yeah yeah yeahs - None of their songs make sense. I dont like hearing goats get castratred, the musicality is terrible. terrible collection.
    GlasVegas - useless band, riddled with terrible hair and a pathetic attempt at music.
    kings of leon - first 2 albums were quality, the rest is ****.
    Neil Young - no my vibe, i feel sick when i hear him
    Bob Dylan - no my vibe, can see the appeal.. overrated tho
    Manic Street Preachers - terrible collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I agree heartily on Manic Street Preachers.Can't stand the Richey Edwards death cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Not a bad idea for a thread, but seriously, some of the criticisms here are laughable- bad hair? entire albums dismissed as "pure ****e" without any further reasoning given? It's hardly good discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i have my own view on that-if its "critically acclaimed" album
    ,i wont buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Fred83 wrote: »
    i have my own view on that-if its "critically acclaimed" album
    ,i wont buy it!

So what do you buy then, westlife albums:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

Anything By the Stereophonics, Kings of Leon and Neil Young get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Dog Man Star by Suede.

Seriously bloated with its own self importance. Some pretty crap songs on it too. "new generation,black or blue,daddys speeding," I could mention at least 2 more. Reasonably well produced filler, despite Butlers assertion that it is one of the worst produced albums ever.

And I disagree with Loveissucide, I think suede by suede is a better album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I think the new U2 album is the most overrated album in history. A very poor offering indeed,possibly their worst album to date.

Agreed . And I love U2 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thriller . Maybe 140 million people can't be wrong . It leaves me cold .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

It leaves everyone cold,it's a work of sterile perfection compared to the joyous pop of Off The Wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Celticbard

Anything by Oasis now done get me wrong they where good for there time but its passed now the whole 90's rock n roll, plus if you actually listen to noel gallaghers lyrics there very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ni4979 wrote: »
    Every u2 album is overrated

Spot on buddy! They're so over-hyped it wrecks my head

red_ice wrote: »
    your wrong, no arguemnts please.

That is possibly one of the greatest rock albums of our time. Your so wrong. I am personally offended by that.

As far as hating everything that band has done goes, these fall into that catagory for me.

mgmt - worst band of all time.
    yeah yeah yeahs - None of their songs make sense. I dont like hearing goats get castratred, the musicality is terrible. terrible collection.
    GlasVegas - useless band, riddled with terrible hair and a pathetic attempt at music.
    kings of leon - first 2 albums were quality, the rest is ****.
    Neil Young - no my vibe, i feel sick when i hear him
    Bob Dylan - no my vibe, can see the appeal.. overrated tho
    Manic Street Preachers - terrible collection.

Have you listened to the Kings latest album - it's brilliant man! And you think Bob Dylan is poor - wtf!! As for Glasvegas - they're average but the way a band dresses has nothing to do with the music they produce!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kingcalumn

It doesnt matter what The latest 2 kings of leon albums are like because theyve been jumped on by every shallow oxegen goer(braindead idiots) in the world. I think that some of the music was very well constructed, but I wouldnt go to one of their gigs in this country. Why? Because they are seen as a fashion to the masses, and Id bet that most fans didnt know that they have 3 previous albums to their current one when it came out. But when they're told by a glossy mag, or festival review that a band is good, theyll latch on. So signs on that every gig sells out here and the touts make a fortune. In london last sept, the kings of leon couldnt sell out 1 night in the o2 - costing only 21.50 a ticket!

Same goes for most films that come out - they read the review of 5 stars and say - god, that must be great. Sadly, they cant make up their own minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Kingcalumn wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what The latest 2 kings of leon albums are like because theyve been jumped on by every shallow oxegen goer(braindead idiots) in the world. I think that some of the music was very well constructed, but I wouldnt go to one of their gigs in this country. Why? Because they are seen as a fashion to the masses, and Id bet that most fans didnt know that they have 3 previous albums to their current one when it came out. But when they're told by a glossy mag, or festival review that a band is good, theyll latch on. So signs on that every gig sells out here and the touts make a fortune. In london last sept, the kings of leon couldnt sell out 1 night in the o2 - costing only 21.50 a ticket!

Same goes for most films that come out - they read the review of 5 stars and say - god, that must be great. Sadly, they cant make up their own minds.
    Too true. I was at them at oxegen last year and when they played Trani, which is amazing live most people didn't know what it was...

I gave the 3rd album a fair few listens but I'd say i've only got through the new one in one go just the one time... It was disappointing but that was hardly surprising:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde.

I thought that once too! But, it's a album I've come to love.

The Manic Street Preachers have never grabbed me, and I was told that Nas' Illmatic was amazing, went out and bought it, and it was pretty average.

A lot of people have a hard-on for Audioslave too, which I've never understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

+1 K-Ren

Kingcalumn wrote: »

Dead right - I've been listening to the Kings for ages was talking to somebody about them and mentioned that Calafornia Waiting was my one of my fav songs by them...they didn't know the song OR the album - this person claimed before this "Oh I LOVE Kings of Leon" - headwrecking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 delayed11

Have been into KOL for years now and Have to agree with the last few posts there. I had to laugh at the excitement over them playing Oxegen. Saw them there years ago, but wasn't quite sure when, so i went googling and couldn't believe it was actually five whole years ago i saw them there!! (Great gig btw! Heard there was a bit of bad feeling between the guys there this year???... and they didnt turn up at benicassim?? true??) But sure EVERYONE only loves them now. Pain in the ass. Actually it turns me off bands. They're on the bloody radio every 2 minutes and it ruins it!! I don't know if i'm being a snob or not though in relation to that.... it just does my frickin head in when people don't know anything except what they hear on the radio, GO DISCOVER THINGS FOR YOURSELVES!! ARGH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ni4979 wrote: »
    Every u2 album is overrated

agree with that never taught they were as good as people say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

True
    I think 21st century breakdown is over-rated, it contains some good songs but otherwise devoid of originality, for all the tracks too many of them, undeservedly passed quality control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

kings of leon - only by the night way overrated
    there other 3 albums are way better

Yeah the album died off a bit after the first half but they all have more single progression, I doubt their going commercial...just experimenting with a new sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Maybe my use of the word "crap" was a bit strong...I just found the last 2 albums very difficult to listen to. In fact I cant listen to them..:( They seem intent of changing direction each time and changing just for the sake of it..it must be a deliberate ploy. I have no problem with bands pushing the boat and trying new things...U2 to Leonard Cohen to The Beatles....then again they are young so perhaps they are still finding their feet....

But are the trying to keep up with market rather than staying true to their musical roots..then again maybe they dont know what they want and its all part of their journey..

Remeber all the early comparisons with The Strokes..are they worried that they will end burnt out like that?

Maybe they are so intent on being different that they have alienated their earlier fans and ended up embracing the mainstream instead?

For me..I have certainly lost interest....but "California Waiting" and the first album will always be dear to my heart...:)

The way KOL have stayed so fresh is because they have changed style with each album. The strokes as you said became burnt out because it all seemed so repetative as each song came from the same angle. This can also be said for the latest AC/DC album which is so repetative of their previous stuff. I'm not sayin that KOL's first two albums are any better or worse than their latter two but i do think they can be appreciated for versatality that other bands just can't produce

For sure, Kol are still making music its just in a more urban/modern style compared to their folksy western offerings but their all good in their own way, it just comes down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

seanybiker wrote: »
    Every Radiohead album.

Ok, U2 and all fair enough because generally everything is overplayed and over hyped(the Joshua Tree is very good and so is Achtung Baby)....

BUT! OK Computer is probably one of the best albums I have in my collection so I don't agree with you there...I know it's all a matter of opinion but you can't just write off some of the most influential bands around in one foul swoop!

Fusion

Oh yeah....Overrated Albums...hmmm it's quite hard to say really looking through this I don't think Bitches Brew is all that great, I love Miles Davis, but for some reason never got into that, even though John McLaughlin is playing on it too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tommyfitz

any jazz album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HowAreYeGettinO

My €0.02;

'Grace' by Jeff Buckley. It was, rightly, regarded as a decent album by a tremendous singer - when he was alive. Suddely the poor man dies and overnight it's 'one of the greatest albums ever made'.

'What's The Story (Morning Glory)' by Oasis. There are only two decent tracks in the first five, the title track is obviously REM's 'The One I Love' recycled, and 'She's Electric' gets very old very fast.

'Pet Sounds' by the Beach Boys. I've tried, really tried, to like this and I can't. 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', 'God Only Knows', 'You Still Believe In Me', 'Caroline No' - terrific. The rest? Meh. I'm sure it was revolutionary for its time, etc. etc. But today it just doesn't stand up to its reputation.

Lots more but I can't think of them right now! :o

I thank panic at the discos newest album is really over-rated, I mean the instruments are better but all the songs are repetitively similar with no oomph like their début album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

O.K Computer ..
    .. But what ever your into .

Advertisement