Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

1666768697072»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

You know, I used to object to people insulting Marty on this thread -and I still will but having spent the last few weeks listening to Bach, Monteverdi, Mendelssohn, Jordi Savall and Chopin I do not understand why he is allowed to have this morning show on Lyric FM.
    His taste in music is dreadful, dreadful.
    He does not seem to want to make any effort to expand his taste either.
    But he really needs to be put on another radio station. (I like him but by God, I can't listen to the music he plays.
    To say nothing of that terrible 'Hugo' story segment or this 'Nevin Maguire' insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

born2bwild wrote: »
    Having spent the last few weeks listening to Bach, Monteverdi, Mendelssohn, Jordi Savall and Chopin ... he really needs to be put on another radio station.

Which one do you propose? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I don't know - I like him - but some station that I'm not listening to.

Anything, really. I think he could get a job on one of the colleges of journalism as a guest lecturer in PR/media techniques.

But he should not be allowed near the mic in a classical radio station.

It is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭jmcc

Well Tubridy may be on the way to Radio 1 so they could give him Tubridy's slot.

Regards...jmcc

born2bwild wrote: »
    I don't know - I like him - but some station that I'm not listening to.

Anything, really. I think he could get a job on one of the colleges of journalism as a guest lecturer in PR/media techniques.

But he should not be allowed near the mic in a classical radio station.

It is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

What exactly is your objection to those composers? Is it that he plays particular pieces to death?

jmcc wrote: »
    Well Tubridy may be on the way to Radio 1 so they could give him Tubridy's slot.

Regards...jmcc

Is that a joke? I hope it is!

• Advertisement

Is that a joke? I hope it is!
    No. Marty Whelan is and always will be a populist kind of DJ of the 2FM type. His Lyric FM show is probably taking audience share away from 2FM.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

No. Marty Whelan is and always will be a populist kind of DJ of the 2FM type. His Lyric FM show is probably taking audience share away from 2FM.

Regards...jmcc

It's actually not, it's every other station that's taking away from audience share in 2fm. Marty's audience share doesn't seem to be moving too far up or down on survey to survey figures.

To be fair here 2fm is a far bigger problem than Lyric FM... A good few things work on Lyric. Does anything at all work on 2FM?

Where Tubridy goes on Radio 1 could be a problem as the individual that gives up their slot could be moved to Lyric.

Regards...jmcc

So, how would it work? The Breakfast Republic team (average age: 35) leading-in to 58 y/o Marty -Whelan, who would lead in to Nicky Byrne (age 35)?

So, how would it work? The Breakfast Republic team (average age: 35) leading-in to 58 y/o Marty -Whelan, who would lead in to Nicky Byrne (age 35)?

Plus if you think Marty is finding it tough sticking to the playlist on Lyric, Remember on 2fm everything pre 1990 is now basically banned. I doubt if they'll move him to 2fm. However if they did, it's very likely that the figures would go up. However, not the figures that they crave, which is the 15-24 market which I think they've lost forever.

The best thing as I've said before is give up on 2fm, turn it into a BBC radio 2 type station. Have a sensible Breakfast Host, You could keep Ryan, Put Marty on as well as Ronan Collins and their Ratings would go up substantially. Let RTE Radio 1 concentrate on Talk, and Lyric on Classical. Young people are moving away from music radio in large numbers because of unlimited choice elsewhere of the music they want to hear. Plus Commercial Radio serves this section of society a lot better than the stuff that's on 2fm at this time. I actually think that Radio has a bright future in the next decade or two, but it's going to be more Talk and information based.

The one factor that you both have discounted is RTE management. This is what gave the late Gerry Ryan's tea boy his show. This is the same management that dumped Marty Whelan and others in Lyric FM. It seems to have an infallible ability to screw up and convince itself that it is still doing well.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

His listenership climbed in the latest JNLR. There's more people listening to Lyric than ever before. Marty's doing a wonderful job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

bbability wrote: »
    His listenership climbed in the latest JNLR. There's more people listening to Lyric than ever before. Marty's doing a wonderful job.

Mmmmm.

Not sure that the conclusion follows directly from the observation bb.

There is no end of junk music stations with bigger audiences than Marty, who churn out endless pop music (and by pop music I mean lowest grade disposable pop music that appeals to those of little or no musical taste or sophistication) with kids talking nonsense in between (and frequently over) 'songs'. I wouldnt consider them doing a wonderful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

bbability wrote: »

Lyric FM's audience share has stayed stable at 4%. More people listening to Lyric than ever before is not, in that context, an accurate statement. The audience share has not increased.

Marty Whelan, per the RTE press release on 31 July, has 38,000 listeners, an increase of 4000 on a year ago. He has fewer listeners than both Niall Carroll and Liz Nolan.

Wonderful is not how I'd describe this; it's borderline just about a safe pair of hands.

Mmmmm.

Not sure that the conclusion follows directly from the observation bb.

There is no end of junk music stations with bigger audiences than Marty, who churn out endless pop music (and by pop music I mean lowest grade disposable pop music that appeals to those of little or no musical taste or sophistication) with kids talking nonsense in between (and frequently over) 'songs'. I wouldnt consider them doing a wonderful job.

Marty does this too which is why I flat out refuse to listen to his program.

Calina wrote: »
    More people listening to Lyric than ever before is not, in that context, an accurate statement. The audience share has not increased.

Marty Whelan, per the RTE press release on 31 July, has 38,000 listeners, an increase of 4000 on a year ago.

How are the above two statements consistent: listeners have increase by 4000, but more people are not listening to Lyric ?

Is it because listeners to other Lyric programs are declining and M's is the only one going in the right direction ?

How are the above two statements consistent: listeners have increase by 4000, but more people are not listening to Lyric ?

Is it because listeners to other Lyric programs are declining and M's is the only one going in the right direction ?

Lyric is much, much more than Marty Whelan who is not even their highest listenership.

No, both other presenters whom I named have increased audience numbers. Both of them each have more listeners than Whelan. George Hamilton's listenership went up 8000 in the same period.

However, the audience share is static and for the station that's actually not that great. The blurb that Aodan Ó Dubhghaill, Head of RTÉ lyric fm, came out with in terms of listen and silent was borderline embarrassing as well.
    A leading artist who features regularly on RTÉ lyric fm, Austrian pianist, poet and author Alfred Brendel once said “ The word ‘listen’ contain the same letters as the work ‘silent’. I am delighted that there are now 289,000 ‘silent’ people tuning in to ‘listen’ to RTÉ lyric fm on a weekly basis. Without these listeners the music we play, the thought we put in to programming, the voices that link the music and the care we take in crafting our arts and speech output on FM, online or through other forms of communication, would fall on deaf ears! Thank you all for choosing the station where life sounds better.”

It's worth noticing that the RTE press release did not give a book on book increase figure for Whelan which they did for some other presenters. This leads me to infer that if he had a book on book increase, it was not very impressive.

YOu can read the RTE press release here: http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2014/0731/634469-rte-remains-the-number-1-choice-for-radio-listeners/

I suspect Lyric might be better spun off as an independent station tbh. I don't know that RTE is really all that interested in it given the Radio 1 figures and frankly, Radio 1 is the station that would most likely lose listeners to Lyric.

It's worth noticing that the RTE press release did not give a book on book increase figure for Whelan which they did for some other presenters. This leads me to infer that if he had a book on book increase, it was not very impressive.

His figures (and almost all Lyric figures) are within the Margin of Error. This is RTE playing games again. They put out a press Release. Why don't they just release the figures and let the public decide who's going up and down.

The fact is that Lyric is one of the few stations I know that has a much higher set of figures as the day progresses which is a big no no in Radio. You put your strongest show out at Breakfast to build audience for the rest of the day.

This isn't Marty's Fault, A different station perhaps even the same time would be fine for him and for lyric listeners. He could play what he wanted and Old Lyric listeners could listen to Classical Music. However there does appear to be a feeling at this stage that the station management are out of touch with whats going on in the real world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No Marty this morning. I flicked on by accident. Is it a midterm break thing?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

flicked on as well. Who knows why - but such happiness, such serenity, such peace with the world.

Well hello there !

Anyone following Marts build up to the old Crimbo ?

• Advertisement

I was hoping TodayFM would give Marty the job as voice of the nation so miles away from breakfast classical.

Having looked at their ad, I've some doubts as to whether that will actually happen.

I was hoping TodayFM would give Marty the job as voice of the nation so miles away from breakfast classical.

Having looked at their ad, I've some doubts as to whether that will actually happen.

Mmmm. Its a thought though.
    Have they the financially welly for such an offer me wonders ?

Mmmm. Its a thought though.
    Have they the financially welly for such an offer me wonders ?

If they have not, Lyric are paying Marty too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Expunge

Looks like a classic SaveOurLyric/Yvonne/Hugo inititiative.

They start all dissapproving and within 20 posts, he/she is telling us all the great plans management have for MITM in the coming months.

Spouting his Blueshirt philosophy on Twitter is not keeping him sufficiently occupied at the moment. He must be bored.

We have been here before.

Well hello there !

Who?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well hello there !

Who?

Regards...jmcc

What?

I turned over a few times the other morning to Lyric, and every single time I did (must have flicked the station on about five or six times in over an hour) what I heard was Marty talking. Not once did I turn over and hear music.

Has anyone done a count of the time spent talking as opposed to playing music (on a music station) by Marty?

I'm going to email Lyric this morning about it. For all the good I expect it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Futher continuation of trolling and questioning how this thread is moderated will result in lengthy bans. Either continue the discussion about the topic at hand or I will lock the thread and this discussion will not be allowed to continue here or as a new thread. Forum Rules are quite clear on off-topic discussions and Back Seat Moderation.

For the record multiple accounts were reported up the chain and I was moderating this forum on my own for quite some time. Thankfully that has changed in recent times.

////// thread now closed until further notice due because the warning has been ignored/////

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement