Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german shepherd crying

• 20-02-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

we took in a GSD last yr at around 5 months. she came from a litter living on a farm, the mammy was 10! the reason i took her was cos the farmer couldnt get get rid of most of them and was going to drown.
    Anyways since we got her she has always cried, i do know that they can be a very vocal dog but suzie crys const. i dont mind during the day we ignore her and she is getting better. the biggest prob is her crying from half 6 in the morning. this wasnt such a big prob when we lived in the country but now we live in town neighbours are complaing. i hate outside dogs as i think they should be inside and all my dogs are. suzie hates been inside always has since the day we got her, shes paces and gets herself into a state if she is inside to long, saying that she is getting better she will now come into the kitchen and will settle for awhile. because of this she sleeps out at night, we have tried her in, have had 2 trainers with her, both diff advise.
    we did think when winter came she would sleep longer but no half 6 on the dot she starts. its like she has a alarm clock inside her. now her crying is so loud that neighbours in the next estate can hear her. on advise we were told by first trainer to ignore her the second said to shout at her as you can see 2 different advise we have done both but nothing helps. if we get up and let her in she grand for 15 mins or so then wants to get back out, she will get out and start again. if we let the others out to her again maybe grand for half an hr then she will start and the others will start as well, as they want to get in.
    she is walked twice sometimes 3 times aday, both on lead and off. she swims we also put some mental training in as well but nothing works. we have also keep her in but come 2, 3 oclock she just wants out and then half 6 she starts again.
    can anyone help as only living here few weeks and we are hated. no way am i getting rid of her as apart from this she is a great girl. if i have rambled im sorry as i thought of more i kept adding.
    just to ad, as ive said i hate outside dogs and would love her to sleep in, at the moment she is sleeping outside in a shed we bought, we have it insulated, heating put in, that cost me a fortune, beds toys. its not cold as we have constant heat but not to hot, have a temp gauge to keep check of temp.

also we would love a lie in, havent had one since we got her

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Have you had her checked by vet to make sure she's not in any pain or sick.

How does she interact with your other dogs during the day.

Is she just bored at 6am, it sounds like you've built a house outside for her, could one of the other dogs sleep out with her.

Could it be separation anxiety as she was older when you got her, but mine was 6 months to and he never cried.

Just suggestions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

sounhds like she'd be happier outside, it's understandable that you dont want her to be outside but she has a big coat on her, if she wants out is there somewhere safe for her to be, enclosed yard with a kennel? it might ease her anxiety and when coming in becomes more of a novelty she might want in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O God!!! What a nightmare!! poor you; poor your neighbours & poor Suzi!!!!
    It sounds like you are trying really hard so fair dues to you for that.

Sounds like your Suzi is an outdoors dog so that's one; even if you'd prefer her to be inside! My cousin has a georgous GR who gets really stressed & wrecks the place if left inside; no reason for it... Her dog came back from it's first kennel holiday at 10 months old and point blank refused to stay indoors overnight ever after that! And her yard isn't attractive or interesting ; no reasonable logic to it!

I think the other poster is right re the vets check up: if money is right you might co sided the blue cross; but if not it's very worth looking at.
    What does your Suzi enjoy ( apart from singing!); is there something you could distract her with?
    Mine didn't like me going out AT ALL and would go a bit nuts wanting to come with me ( despite me being worn to a stump walking ) so I got an old small coke bottle & bent it up
    a bit & put some of her food in it & she playes away with it happily trying to get them out for about 20 mins... The she forgets what she was upset by & is ! Might be worth a try at 0630 !!!!
    It really sounds like she is frustrated or bored; but it's hard to know: I feel for you!!!
    Mine for a full TWO YEARS use to go nuts screaming & barking at the door when she thought I was going out for her walk and after it really getting out if hand I taught her " "Sssh" . I'd go "sssh" & give her a treat, then go good "sssh" & give her another & I wouldn't open the door until she stopped the screaming & barking. Unbelievably, it worked: after two years and complaints :0
    might be worth a try with yours? I had to use supertreats with mine ( she is extremely good motivated and I wanted a quick resolution so I used decking sausages; my pockets smelt for weeks!) . It nay be something totally different but it could be worth a try.

Keep us posted!
    BTW: I see you be tried two " experts". I was in despair at 8 months with my dog & lead training & John who does training at the estuary in Malahide was extremely brilliant in sorting my problem out literally in a flash. I was going there for activity training & he just put her straight . I think his second name is ward ; I'd really recommend him even maybe to come to an activity class once & talk with him ; he is a bit of a genius.
    ( that's in Dublin, Malahide down by the estuary)

Keep us posted; I really feel for you & it sounds like your really doing your best. Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry ; one other idea came to me. Is this something she started doing after the novelty if newly living with you wore off ? It might be worth contacting he original owner & asking what the dogs routine was there. Maybe there is something simple it misses, or wants!!
    Equally; maybe it always did that & that was why they were so anxious to secure a new home for screaming Suzi :0

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

gud4u wrote: »
    Have you had her checked by vet to make sure she's not in any pain or sick.

How does she interact with your other dogs during the day.

Is she just bored at 6am, it sounds like you've built a house outside for her, could one of the other dogs sleep out with her.

Could it be separation anxiety as she was older when you got her, but mine was 6 months to and he never cried.

Just suggestions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along.

thanks for your reply, the first thing i did was get suzie checked over, in fact twice and he said she is a lovely healthy dog. thats the thing, im not perpered to let my others sleep outside, while i know they would be perfectly warm etc, i really dont think it would be fair to chuck them outside as they have been indoor dogs since i had them. she is brill with the other dogs and my cats. when she is in and calm she will cuddle up with both the dogs and cats. the thing is after, what ever time, she wants out.
    she is only like this in the morning. rest of the day she will happily do her own thing. apart from when she gets excited and then her singing will start

• Advertisement

sounhds like she'd be happier outside, it's understandable that you dont want her to be outside but she has a big coat on her, if she wants out is there somewhere safe for her to be, enclosed yard with a kennel? it might ease her anxiety and when coming in becomes more of a novelty she might want in?
    thats the thing, she is now sleeping outside, as i posted i have built a customised kennel for her with heating, beds, toys etc for her. still at half 6 she starts.

O God!!! What a nightmare!! poor you; poor your neighbours & poor Suzi!!!!
    It sounds like you are trying really hard so fair dues to you for that.

Sounds like your Suzi is an outdoors dog so that's one; even if you'd prefer her to be inside! My cousin has a georgous GR who gets really stressed & wrecks the place if left inside; no reason for it... Her dog came back from it's first kennel holiday at 10 months old and point blank refused to stay indoors overnight ever after that! And her yard isn't attractive or interesting ; no reasonable logic to it!

I think the other poster is right re the vets check up: if money is right you might co sided the blue cross; but if not it's very worth looking at.
    What does your Suzi enjoy ( apart from singing!); is there something you could distract her with?
    Mine didn't like me going out AT ALL and would go a bit nuts wanting to come with me ( despite me being worn to a stump walking ) so I got an old small coke bottle & bent it up
    a bit & put some of her food in it & she playes away with it happily trying to get them out for about 20 mins... The she forgets what she was upset by & is ! Might be worth a try at 0630 !!!!
    It really sounds like she is frustrated or bored; but it's hard to know: I feel for you!!!
    Mine for a full TWO YEARS use to go nuts screaming & barking at the door when she thought I was going out for her walk and after it really getting out if hand I taught her " "Sssh" . I'd go "sssh" & give her a treat, then go good "sssh" & give her another & I wouldn't open the door until she stopped the screaming & barking. Unbelievably, it worked: after two years and complaints :0
    might be worth a try with yours? I had to use supertreats with mine ( she is extremely good motivated and I wanted a quick resolution so I used decking sausages; my pockets smelt for weeks!) . It nay be something totally different but it could be worth a try.

Keep us posted!
    BTW: I see you be tried two " experts". I was in despair at 8 months with my dog & lead training & John who does training at the estuary in Malahide was extremely brilliant in sorting my problem out literally in a flash. I was going there for activity training & he just put her straight . I think his second name is ward ; I'd really recommend him even maybe to come to an activity class once & talk with him ; he is a bit of a genius.
    ( that's in Dublin, Malahide down by the estuary)

Keep us posted; I really feel for you & it sounds like your really doing your best. Don't give up!
    i dont mind her been a outdoor dog if that what makes her happy, but it seems to me when shes in she wants out, and visa versa. she enjoys her walks more than anything. toys etc dont seem to really interest her. she is brought on plenty of walks and swims. my son who is 19 is very good with her, before collage, cos where all up super early brings her on at least a hrs walk in the mornings, i, bring her around noon then my son brings her again in the eve. the rest of the day she is in and out with us and is fine most of the time. if she gets anxiuous during day we let her out and shes fine. i actually live in laois so dublin would be a bit far.

Sorry ; one other idea came to me. Is this something she started doing after the novelty if newly living with you wore off ? It might be worth contacting he original owner & asking what the dogs routine was there. Maybe there is something simple it misses, or wants!!
    Equally; maybe it always did that & that was why they were so anxious to secure a new home for screaming Suzi :0

no, susie has nearly done this from day one. the original owners didnt give a ****e about them, basically just left to do what they liked when they pleased. if i can remember rightly most of the litter was gave away with her as he couldnt get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Any chance you could install a flap in the back door so she can come and go as she pleases? i.e. If she wants in at 6am to confirm after hours of silence that she hasn't been abandoned she could come in trot around the house to reassure herself and she"ll probably go off put again without a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

she's probably lonely. If she came from a farm she's probably used to lots company especially if she slept with her mother until 5 months. get her another dog if you can. Maybe you can borrow another dog she knows for the night to see if it works. If not let her sleep outside your bedroom door or tell your husband to go down stairs and tell to shut up or she wont get any breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

thats the thing, she is now sleeping outside, as i posted i have built a customised kennel for her with heating, beds, toys etc for her. still at half 6 she starts.

blimey. so she thinks she's a cockeril.. so i cant help, i'd be surprised if someone here doesnt have the answer though

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Any chance you could install a flap in the back door so she can come and go as she pleases? i.e. If she wants in at 6am to confirm after hours of silence that she hasn't been abandoned she could come in trot around the house to reassure herself and she"ll probably go off put again without a problem[/QUote

did this in my old house. all she did was come in wreck the place, get the other dogs to start and still be crying. cant do it here anyways as have a alaminum door.

no, susie has nearly done this from day one. the original owners didnt give a ****e about them, basically just left to do what they liked when they pleased. if i can remember rightly most of the litter was gave away with her as he couldnt get rid.

Maybe that's it, she might have gone off roaming at that time every morning if she had free reign of a farm.

Maybe she feels couped up, I know your backyard is probably big enough and it sounds like you have built a hotel for her:), when you say she's sleeping outside, do you mean outside in the hotel or outside under the stars.

Maybe a cow would help and then you'd have milk too:D, joking of course..

she's probably lonely. If she came from a farm she's probably used to lots company especially if she slept with her mother until 5 months. get her another dog if you can. Maybe you can borrow another dog she knows for the night to see if it works. If not let her sleep outside your bedroom door or tell your husband to go down stairs and tell to shut up or she wont get any breakfast.
    god, this seems bad. everything someone suggests ive either done it or i cant do it for what ever reason.
    my old neighbour, where i used to live, went a way for 2 weeks at christmas and i minded her 2 outdoor dogs. the 1st night/morning not a sound till we woke at 10. first thing i did was ran to window to call dogs thought something had happened but no, 3 happy dogs came out of their shed. thought great. 2nd morning back to square one and for rest of the 2 weeks.
    in my old house as i said was really so much of a problem as no near neighbours so we could try and ignore my thought been you dont reward a whinging child so same i thought with a dog. last holidays, 3 months from school, collage we tried and tried to wait till she stopped before we would get up this didnt work. in this house with neighbours we cant ignore so my hubby is telling her to stop but she just continues

gud4u wrote: »
    Maybe that's it, she might have gone off roaming at that time every morning if she had free reign of a farm.

Maybe she feels couped up, I know your backyard is probably big enough and it sounds like you have built a hotel for her:), when you say she's sleeping outside, do you mean outside in the hotel or outside under the stars.

Maybe a cow would help and then you'd have milk too:D, joking of course..
    she can do as she pleases, she tends, to what i can see start of in the garden, by the way my gdn is very big, then goes into her shed and then at 6 she will be in the gdn doing her morning chorus. even the mornings its is peeing down she is still out there.

you know what if i thought a cow would help i would get one. though dont know if that would endear me to the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Tell me do you give her much attention? I have a dog here too she isn't as bad as yours with crying but she will cry for 3 reasons. 1/ She wants cuddles cause she is in the kitchen with the others but she wants human contact. 2/ Kids next door playing and she wants to go play with them. 3/ There is a cat or something around outside and she wants to get at it. Any of these things ring a bell?

I have a new pup that screams, it is only 10weeks and i'm hoping i don't end up like you. You poor thing, i feel for you, at least I can shove earplugs in.

Mine will only be quiet with human contact, so i'm hoping to leave it for longer as it gets older. I only have him 2 days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

the second said to shout at her as you can see 2 different advise we have done both but nothing helps.

WOW thats some dog trainer !!!!!

what he actually said was to open window and tell her to go to bed. when i did question this he did say, if a child was up early you would tell it to go back to bed.

Tell me do you give her much attention? I have a dog here too she isn't as bad as yours with crying but she will cry for 3 reasons. 1/ She wants cuddles cause she is in the kitchen with the others but she wants human contact. 2/ Kids next door playing and she wants to go play with them. 3/ There is a cat or something around outside and she wants to get at it. Any of these things ring a bell?
    yes i do, during the day, while we are at home. i am for most of the day. she can get as much attention as she wants, now when i say that, i dont mean i sit and cuddle her all day, i dont and cant, what i mean is she is out walking with me. she comes into house when she pleases. im out in gdn pottering around. she really can come and go as she pleases, just like most dogs. when im, say washing floors etc she happily goes out. same when i go shop not a word out of her. i know this cos ive spied on her. the prob is only at half 6 every morning. at half 6 im not perpered to be cuddling her or giving her attention. also could be cats around, im sure there are but this has happened both here and in my old house. what im worried about is the summer coming in, is she going to be starting earlier.

• Advertisement

god, this seems bad. everything someone suggests ive either done it or i cant do it for what ever reason.
    my old neighbour, where i used to live, went a way for 2 weeks at christmas and i minded her 2 outdoor dogs. the 1st night/morning not a sound till we woke at 10. first thing i did was ran to window to call dogs thought something had happened but no, 3 happy dogs came out of their shed. thought great. 2nd morning back to square one and for rest of the 2 weeks.
    in my old house as i said was really so much of a problem as no near neighbours so we could try and ignore my thought been you dont reward a whinging child so same i thought with a dog. last holidays, 3 months from school, collage we tried and tried to wait till she stopped before we would get up this didnt work. in this house with neighbours we cant ignore so my hubby is telling her to stop but she just continues

If you tried all those soft solutions and nothings worked I'd come down on her like a tonne of bricks. First by snarling 'OUT' at her as you storm into the garden as soon as she starts. After about five days she should start to get the message. Progress from that to picking her up by the scuff and shaking her hard. The harder you are on her the quicker she'll get the message and the less cruelty all around for you the dog and the neighbours. I'd also recommend cutting out all the cuddles and instilling some discipline and mutual respect with our dog. She has to learn to listen to you and that there lines in the house she doesn't cross and that this crying craic out the back is one of them. Your dog will be calmer, more composed, emotionally stable and generally happier in the long term with this approach. Remember GSD are a working dogs and should be given a job to do. Best of luck

If you tried all those soft solutions and nothings worked I'd come down on her like a tonne of bricks. First by snarling 'OUT' at her as you storm into the garden as soon as she starts. After about five days she should start to get the message. Progress from that to picking her up by the scuff and shaking her hard. The harder you are on her the quicker she'll get the message and the less cruelty all around for you the dog and the neighbours. I'd also recommend cutting out all the cuddles and instilling some discipline and mutual respect with our dog. She has to learn to listen to you and that there lines in the house she doesn't cross and that this crying craic out the back is one of them. Your dog will be calmer, more composed, emotionally stable and generally happier in the long term with this approach. Remember GSD are a working dogs and should be given a job to do. Best of luck
    sorry but no. i would rather get up before she starts every day that grab any dog by scruff of the neck. id imagine all this would do is make her visious (sp)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

do you think she is lonely OP

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

sorry but no. i would rather get up before she starts every day that grab any dog by scruff of the neck. id imagine all this would do is make her visious (sp)

It wouldn't stop her from crying anyway plus you might have the ISPCA calling to your door if reported. Ronnie gave stupid soloutions there. You act voilent towards an animal and it might take it for a while but it will snap plus its doing long term mental damage to the dog. 1 of my dogs were mistreated before we got him and if I kick a food bowl by accident he will scatter and try to hide. Thats what being voilent to a dog does to them.

Does a pup turn viscous when their mother picks them up by the scuff?

Does a pup turn viscous when their mother picks them up by the scuff?
    no, but im not her mother and she is not 8 weeks old

bluewolf wrote: »
    do you think she is lonely OP

no i honestly dont, as she will do it even if shes in the house with the others and also as i already posted, she had the company of 2 other dogs at christmas and she still did the same. also during the night she is fine is just on the dot of haqlf 6 she starts. in my old house i thought there was a trigger, but in the new house she is the same.

It wouldn't stop her from crying anyway plus you might have the ISPCA calling to your door if reported. Ronnie gave stupid soloutions there. You act voilent towards an animal and it might take it for a while but it will snap plus its doing long term mental damage to the dog. 1 of my dogs were mistreated before we got him and if I kick a food bowl by accident he will scatter and try to hide. Thats what being voilent to a dog does to them.

It is completely different to violently kick and beat a dog for no apparent reason than to shake him by the scruff for doing something that he knows is wrong. I'm sure your neighbours would be glad to see you doing something about it and wouldn't report you. Your more likely to have the dog warden at your door in the next few weeks than the ispca.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know tbh, from a quick google it appears german shepherds really just cry a lot...
    personally i'd be going out and telling her to stop in a firm tone of voice but i suppose you must have done that

edit: and bringing her to the vet just to double check everything is ok

• Advertisement

no, but im not her mother and she is not 8 weeks old

What age is she?

Advertisement