Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In Google maps, here. You can see the wider stretch of tarmac for the off-ramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Thanks,

Its about 15 km from the roundabout near the Galway clinic?

If so will it actually do much for Claregalway traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If so will it actually do much for Claregalway traffic?

No.

The traffic from the roundabout near the clinic through Briarhill is already bumper to bumper stop/start at rush hour, if the volume doubles to carry all the Claregalway traffic, it'll just be stop/stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

The moral of the story: this is not just about Galway.

Correct, its about building a national motorways system rather than a dublin centric motorway system
    Build them and they will come.

and with "them" comes jobs and economic opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I've argued previously in this thread about the 3 level stack junction planned for M6 - M17 - M18 junction. In this day and age I cannot fathom why the NRA is complicating it with a 3 level stack which will cost just as much (if not more) than a partially unrolled cloverleaf.

For instance, her is the proposed junction for M20 - M40 which would be ideal.

aywwo9.jpg

Just remember, the M17 has an AADT of 21,000 cars and everyone going from Tuam to Galway will have to use the roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've argued previously in this thread about the 3 level stack junction planned for M6 - M17 - M18 junction. In this day and age I cannot fathom why the NRA is complicating it with a 3 level stack which will cost just as much (if not more) than a partially unrolled cloverleaf.

For instance, her is the proposed junction for M20 - M40 which would be ideal.

aywwo9.jpg

Just remember, the M17 has an AADT of 21,000 cars and everyone going from Tuam to Galway will have to use the roundabout.

As will those Dublin - Tuam, Gort - Dublin and so forth.

Probably should have given priority for those going Galway direction to encourage them to use this as they already are clocking up mileage by avoiding old N17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I don't think people realise how little traffic it will take to cause a lot of traffic at this junction at rush hour in both the mornings and evenings.

While it won't be as bad as say the Dunkettle Interchange, it will still be bad enough to cause considerable delays. I just think its absolutely mental that in this day and age they are building such a stupid junction when the it may cost less to build a better junction and when there is no reason whatsoever to build the one they are building.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/4851-contract-for-gort-to-tuam-motorway-to-be-signed-this-week

I hope this is finally true, a long time coming! As I said before, nice and close to the local elections; it's no coincidence I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

No coincidence Im sure, hopefully this time!

Galway Bay FM this morning Ciaran Cannon said he expects contracts to be signed Wednesday morning at NRA hq in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Fingers crossed........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Fingers crossed........

and everything else you can cross!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

f2 wrote: »
    Galway Bay FM this morning Ciaran Cannon said he expects contracts to be signed Wednesday morning at NRA hq in Dublin

Just heard the same thing from a TD so it's looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My guesswork is that Galway - Limerick will be done to appease the west, much as the Western Rail Corridor. Cork to Limerick will be done around the later timescale, but as a tolled PPP. Galway - Tuam bypass will be done or there'll be a riot over here.

Apart from that, we might see the New Ross bypass and maybe Ballincollig - Macroom.

I think the stuff that will be culled is secondary schemes like the N24 Limerick - Waterford.

Again, guesswork tho.

6 years old but brilliant guesswork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not bad, eh? :D

I'll still eat my hat if Ballincollig to Macroom gets going anytime soon... New Ross is still a possibility over the next few years. N24 still a pipe dream, sadly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

N24 still a pipe dream, sadly

Agreed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

7 years and 122 pages of updates and contracts still not signed!
    Hopefully tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

spacetweek wrote: »
    7 years and 122 pages of updates and the biggest global economic collapse since the Great Depression and contracts still not signed!
    FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Will it be as successful as the untolled yet empty M9, or as bountiful a source of taxpayers' money to landowners like the M3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Will it be as successful as the untolled yet empty M9, or as bountiful a source of taxpayers' money to landowners like the M3?

It will be far more useful and successful than the "western rail corridor" anyhow! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Vanquished wrote: »
    It will be far more useful and successful than the "western rail corridor" anyhow! :rolleyes:

Actually it will make the western rail corridor an even less attractive option by further reducing the travel time to Limerick by road.

Well it will certainly be useful to those who own the land ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

dloob wrote: »
    Actually it will make the western rail corridor an even less attractive option by further reducing the travel time to Limerick by road.

I don't think that it would be possible to make the WRC less attractive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Well it will certainly be useful to those who own the land ;)

Wow you might be on to something there!

In actual fact I think that's the only reason the road is being built!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

At the moment, for those using public transport between Galway and Limerick, we have a bus that takes 1:20 versus a train that takes two hours (when it's running and not replaced by a replacement bus service because the line is flooded).

When the M18 is finished, I'd expect at least 10 minutes to be knocked off the bus journey - making the train journey nearly twice as long as the bus journey.

And still puzzling some people as to why the line is not successful!

serfboard wrote: »
    At the moment, for those using public transport between Galway and Limerick, we have a bus that takes 1:20 versus a train that takes two hours (when it's running and not replaced by a replacement bus service because the line is flooded).

When the M18 is finished, I'd expect at least 10 minutes to be knocked off the bus journey - making the train journey nearly twice as long as the bus journey.

And still puzzling some people as to why the line is not successful!

I can just imagine the sqeeling online on Irish boards if there was ever any proposal to invest enough money in the railway network to do what railways do best- faster and more comfortable journeys. BTW not all buses do the LK to GY trip in 1:20 and even those timetabled to do so, not all do it in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Bards

Check out the latest AADT figures before quoting stupid coments like that and compare to mid section of M8 more or less on a par.

M9 is far from empty

Bards wrote: »
    Check out the latest AADT figures before quoting stupid coments like that and compare to mid section of M8 more or less on a par.

M9 is far from empty

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting reading, and our new motorway network is certainly not getting so much wear that the shine is wearing off it.

I picked Friday 17th January 2014 as the sample date.

M18 at Ennis North, daily volume 11,797 vehicles.

Link: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfmonthreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000020181&reportdate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00&enddate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00

This compares to the M1 between J2 Airport and J3, Swords where the daily volume is 94,476 vehicles.

Link: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfmonthreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000020011&reportdate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00&enddate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00

As an aside, the M9 at Mullinavat had a vehicle count of 9,479. I'll revise my estimate of empty to half-empty.

No contract signing today early next week reason scheduling difficulties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

f2 wrote: »
    No contract signing today early next week reason scheduling difficulties

FFS

Advertisement