Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

They've come a long way since Rodney King :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

This was the crime scene after. http://a.scpr.org/i/88444b0b70288dce80244e2fcfce97b4/37999-wide.jpg

Think it's fair to say they kicked 7 shades of ****e out of him :mad:

And there may be charges against a third officer
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/kelly-thomas-charges-third-officer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

And there's another video doing the rounds now. You can't actually see anything but you can hear him and see the reactions of witnesses.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ljYNgLnpxM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Seems like they tried to buy off the lads father.

He turned down a million dollars to pursue the charges.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/05/09/opinion/navarrette-police-brutality/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

read the OP and watched the video but what I can't do is read the 13 pages of comments because what frightens me more than these repugnant excuse for human beings, is the possibility/probability that there are some in modern Ireland today who might seek to condone it. I hope I am wrong,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You're not wrong, just go back a few pages and see what was posted by one individual poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

Murder is murder, that cop had previously dealt with victim and knew he had a mental condition.. He purposely beat him to death despite his dying calls for mercy. Quote " I'm gonna **** you up". Who the **** deserves that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

jay1912 wrote: »
    Murder is murder, that cop had previously dealt with victim and knew he had a mental condition.. He purposely beat him to death despite his dying calls for mercy. Quote " I'm gonna **** you up". Who the **** deserves that!
    Ya. I presume he thought he could treat him as he liked because he was ill and homeless. There are certain ignorant and primitive gits who think these kinds of people are worth less than them. Ironic really (considering what a fine example of a human being ramos is). Local ignorant bully boys hiding behind a badge imo. Vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Crimbouser wrote: »
    Ya. I presume he thought he could treat him as he liked because he was ill and homeless. There are certain ignorant and primitive gits who think these kinds of people are worth less than them. Ironic really (considering what a fine example of a human being ramos is). Local ignorant bully boys hiding behind a badge imo. Vile.

I really hope the posts made in defence of the police are unaware of the fact that the victim had a mental illness because if they do its indicative of a worrying attitude towards the mentally ill in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

These sick twisted so-called human beings walk and hold the badge in all countries and states in the world, but not all cops or gardai are murderers or involve themselves in this nasty stuff. It's plain and obvious that not all are the same but it is a serious problem when there are a few mentally deranged cops or gardai out there.

I watched the full video of the murder of Kelly Thomas and I have to say I felt sick. Kelly Thomas was murdered simple as that as you can see clearly on the camera coverage and also in the audio. "To Serve And Protect" The main two cops should get life for murder, if it was me that was the judge they would both get the death penalty in my opinion only.

I can't even remember how many times Kelly Thomas screamed for his dad to help him as he was further beaten closer to death. It's a damn shame that some cops and i'd even say gardai would do this as it is a hate towards your own species, and if you have such hate towards this then you are not fit to integrate with the civilized population and should be incarcerated in the house for the mentally insane.

But unfortunately there are sickos out there. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if these two cops were shot dead soon as tensions are still very high over there. Why would anyone want to go visit a place like Fullerton California knowing that cops of the Fullerton police department are murderers of an innocent civilian citizen. I wonder how many times they did this that was not captured on camera or not reported ?. A black man called Rodney King was beaten badly and there was a huge riot that we all remember, but when this happens to a white man nothing happens, keep this in mind as if you are a poor homeless person or have mental issues you are easy pickings for the scum departments.

Witnesses on this bus explained what they saw as Kelly Thomas was almost dead at this stage.

If this footage was already shown here then my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

this is honestly one of the sadest things i've seen in a long time. What a horrible end to what seemed to be a tough life.Some people never catch a break. R.I.P .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

smurgen wrote: »
    this is honestly one of the sadest things i've seen in a long time. What a horrible end to what seemed to be a tough life.Some people never catch a break. R.I.P .

I know. It is just awful to think what some people are capable of.

Kelly Thomas was a vulnerable, mentally ill man. To think his last conscious moments on this planet were spent crying out to the people that are supposed to protect him to not kill him.

I think this story will stay with me for a very long time. I find it so hard to believe anyone could do what those police did to him.

I couldn't watch the full video as hearing him plead for his life brought tears to my eyes - and I am not usually a 'crier'.

I don't know what else to say other than those police are absolute scum and to Kelly, RIP young, brave man.

The officers involved were charged. I'm not sure what the point is in releasing the footage.

The bloody point of releasing the footage is to show that the cops can be recorded in their unruly need to destroy and kill citizens ffs. wake up will ye. If the footage was not released people would not see this brutality and murder and therefore would think the maniacs are nice and gentle police if they were not subjected to this footage.

I can never understand stupid comments like this Scientician, sorry but you're comment is nonsensical in every sense of the word. Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That is awful.

My only things to add is that how is it normal force for 4 or 5, what look like over 200 pound men to sit on someone who looks like he weighs considerably less and not expect his thorax to be crushed? If that is standard practice it's absolutely incredible.

Reports have shown that law enforcement actually attracts individuals with a disposition to violence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

zenno wrote: »
    The bloody point of releasing the footage is to show that the cops can be recorded in their unruly need to destroy and kill citizens ffs. wake up will ye. If the footage was not released people would not see this brutality and murder and therefore would think the maniacs are nice and gentle police if they were not subjected to this footage.

The footage there is to prevent people hiding and trying to excuse the behaviour like the disturbing attempt (beit trolling or otherwise) at defending or diminishing what they did in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jesus lads shocking stuff. RIP poor cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I fail to understand the logic of the cops tasering him while ordering him to roll onto his stomach at the same time. Isn't the whole point of the taser that the intended victim briefly loses voluntary muscle control? Then tasering him again for not responding.
    What was the thought process behind that?
    They looked like a right bunch of yahoos who had no idea how to handle the situation from the get-go, and escalated it to the point where a man was beaten to death on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They looked like a right bunch of yahoos who had no idea how to handle the situation from the get-go, and escalated it to the point where a man was beaten to death on the street.
    What was the situation? All I can see is a homeless man being harassed, beaten and murdered by a group of armed scumbags wearing uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I fail to understand the logic of the cops tasering him while ordering him to roll onto his stomach at the same time. Isn't the whole point of the taser that the intended victim briefly loses voluntary muscle control? Then tasering him again for not responding.
    What was the thought process behind that?

The logic is that a bunch of thugs liked the idea of having some sort of power over people so they joined the police force. I always said police forces should try and ascertain the reason why people want to join them. Too many people have joined because of a lust for power and a desire to bully.

Looks like the murderer cops have a trial, who bets the bastards will get away with blue murder. Latest news bulletin...... May 10, 2012

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/10/152433263/cops-to-stand-trial-in-homeless-mans-beating-death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Who wouldn't struggle with two hefty fucks, like those two appear to be, sitting on you compressing your chest and literally squeezing and beating the life out of you?

MagicSean wrote: »
    It's a progressive cycle. He tries to struggle they use more force, he struggles harder, they use more force.

If a person, two people, tasked with that type of job cannot effectively restrain a struggling person without killing them then they are obviously not fit for purpose.

It's not as easy as you see on the TV
    Nodin wrote: »

The dead guy and his battered corpse.

That doesn't prove that they didn't do what they were trained to.

Nodin wrote: »

At any rate, by the ratio of cops to grounded mental patient it would seem they failed the "effectiveness" test. By my 'don't kill them' standard anyway.

The most effective doesn't work 100%. Even pepper spray only works about 95% of the time

lestat21 wrote: »
    :mad:

A member of my family has schizoprenia. She goes off her meds bout every two years and tries to be normal. We hope and pray that the guards will pick her up when this happens. Last time they did. They listened patiently while she told them that the CIA and/or IRA were following her and out to get her. They offered to take her back to the station to give a full statement about her experiences. I would just like to thank the men and women of the gardai who deal with mentally ill people everyday in a respectful and non violent manner. (Shes on her meds again.. YAh!!)

Hope MagicSean isn't the guard the picks up your family member some day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

This got me thinking, if a cop pointed a tazer at me I couldn't keep calm! Guns are different because you don't expect them to use it. Something like that would escalate the situation.

The way they have him on the ground, telling him to put his hands behind his back at the start... they didn't give him a chance. He has one arm behind his back and the other hand is stopping him hitting his face off the pavement. He was saying 'OK, OK' ie: 'get you effing weight off me and let me'.

He knew if he released his hand and with the weight on him, his face would be hitting the hard pavement.

The police didn't want him to co-operate or they would have given him a chance to do as they say.

Looks like they were just enjoying the whole power trip and were getting off on it.

How can there ever really be justice? A young man is dead. He was murdered by a group of brutal thugs that should have been protecting him. It makes me sick.

yeah, I know the feeling. I have seen some bad sh1t in my pitiful life growing up but after watching this murder I just broke up.

These savages will have to do jail time because if the result of the trial next week or two is not guilty, then they in Fullerton California will have a serious riot on their hands.

A homeless guy doing his thing and wants to just find somewhere to sleep...They knew he was homeless anyway as we could hear him saying he would like to find a place to sleep. But no, they couldn't just do a quick search of him. Either way the poor soul was going to be murdered anyway as this was the thinking of the scumbags in blue. Just imagine the sh1t we never hear about. Fullerton police department California is corrupt to the hilt but will it still exist in 2/3 weeks, I will ponder on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unfortunately this is all down to training, ever since 9/11 the US government have been turning the US into a paranoid Orwellian police state and this is just the fruits of it.

Those thugs had a sense of 'we are untouchable' about them.

To think that many men were needed to hold a helpless, small man down. Kelly was not a big guy and the force used was totally unneccessary. They viewed him as less than human and had no intention of giving him a chance.

I am not sure if I heard right, as I was upset and not listening to it all... but I think one of them was laughing about the situation, which if true signifies the type of person we are dealing with here. Anyone with any sense of compassion does not laugh at a man fighting for his life and bleeding to death in front of them.

I will be watching to see the outcome of this trial as well and can only hope that the police are prosecuted. I agree that there will be riots if they are let off.

The way they have him on the ground, telling him to put his hands behind his back at the start... they didn't give him a chance. He has one arm behind his back and the other hand is stopping him hitting his face off the pavement. He was saying 'OK, OK' ie: 'get you effing weight off me and let me'.

He knew if he released his hand and with the weight on him, his face would be hitting the hard pavement.

The police didn't want him to co-operate or they would have given him a chance to do as they say.

Looks like they were just enjoying the whole power trip and were getting off on it.

How can there ever really be justice? A young man is dead. He was murdered by a group of brutal thugs that should have been protecting him. It makes me sick.

Exactly, at the start of the video the thug tells him to put his hands out in front of him and Thomas does this. If the the cop wanted to cuff him he could have done it then but instead he tells him to put his legs out straight. Thomas does this but pulls his hands back to steady himself. The thug says "put your hands out", Thomas replies with "Which is it man, I can't do both", then it all starts.

Exactly, at the start of the video the thug tells him to put his hands out in front of him and Thomas does this. If the the cop wanted to cuff him he could have done it then but instead he tells him to put his legs out straight. Thomas does this but pulls his hands back to steady himself. The thug says "put your hands out", Thomas replies with "Which is it man, I can't do both", then it all starts.

God, that is just brutal.

They were telling him to do something, knowing that he was incapable and then punishing him.

Kelly had no chance at all. None.

It was just a free-for-all for those cops to beat the **** out of someone they presumed no-one would miss and no-one would see the footage of.

Yeah, well, aholes - the whole world has now seen what you all did to that unfortunate, defenceless man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Utter scum those cops.

As bad as any scumbags tbh, worse actually as they are supposed to protect people.

Advertisement