Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I seen a couple of those arrive new into Dublin port last summer. Was wondering what they where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lord lucan wrote: »
    P1020172.JPG

P1020182.JPG

Rest of the pics:Moate
    I was walking by the station not so long ago, the place has an eerie feel about it alright. What's really weird and hard to imagine is that the signal cabin is still technically in use to control the loop and level crossing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jammyc wrote: »
    This stopped at Greystones to meet the incoming DART and pass it last Tuesday (2-8-11) at 11.10 or so. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what it was?

2011_08_02_111753_1.jpg

I live right behind the old athlone western station...its parked in it at the minute with an 071

• Registered Users Posts: 24,458 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They were bought, like most thing, cos they were shiny and modern and new.
    then of course when they got here they realised they couldn't load them :rolleyes:

No suitable mechanism in place to do it and while it can be done by digger it takes far to long. Good ole IE strike again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Can anyone PM me and let me know how to upload pics on here. Ive one or two that might be of interest. Pics taken by phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,209 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the image is already online you can simply link to it or embed it by having [noparse]
    www.thelink.com[/noparse].

Make sure it is the URL (internet address) of the image, not the URL of the page it is on.

Alternatively, either (a) have the images saved to your computer or (b) know where they are online. Make sure they are a reasonable size - typically up to 500kB and no more than about 800x800 pixels.

Post a reply. In the "Reply to Thread" window, there is an button for "Manage attachments".

In the "Manage Attachments" window, you have the option of "Upload File from your Computer" or "Upload File from a URL"

"Upload File from your Computer" - click on Browse and navigate to where you have the image on your computer and select the file and click "Open" and then click "Upload".

"Upload File from a URL" - put in the url of the image and the click "Upload".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

13.30 Enterprise through Howth Junction today.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Taken less than an hour ago. Unfortunately whatever way I was taking photo's the ones of the trains closer to me turned out a bit blurry :(. I must of been snapping too fast and not leaving enough time to focus.

These are the best I have.

UND6M.jpgR3w1d.jpg

Don't worry about it Coco - keep shovelling them in. They look fine to me. I made a total b....x of snapping the Enterprise yesterday, had to try again today - Not there yet but getting there. ;):)

Any idea's on what camera settings to use. I just set mine to SP setting and select whatever I feel might be best. Today I used natural light setting, but before Ive used others such as sport (for fast moving objects) and landscape.
    Im no professional photographer, the best thing I can do is take a wonky pic of the stars :D

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Any idea's on what camera settings to use. I just set mine to SP setting and select whatever I feel might be best. Today I used natural light setting, but before Ive used others such as sport (for fast moving objects) and landscape.
    Im no professional photographer, the best thing I can do is take a wonky pic of the stars :D

I use a compact - Panasonic Lumix in Normal mode which includes auto focus and exposure. There are scene settings on it ok but havn't used them to date. The optical image stabiliser is in Mode 2 (correction when the shutter is pressed). Area 1 focussing which is a rectangle on the screen centre - hopefully where the loco is. Find burst useful if loco is travelling at speed. Use edit to trim and zoom the best pics afterwards if required, usually it is -like today :o.:)

I use a compact - Panasonic Lumix in Normal mode which includes auto focus and exposure. There are scene settings on it ok but havn't used them to date. The optical image stabiliser is in Mode 2 (correction when the shutter is pressed). Area 1 focussing which is a rectangle on the screen centre - hopefully where the loco is. Find burst useful if loco is travelling at speed. Use edit to trim and zoom the best pics afterwards if required, usually it is -like today :o.:)

Burst is just the setting that takes continuous pictures at very quickly yes? I tried it once before but I found on my camera (fujifilm finepix, cheapest yoke in argos) it gave poor quality. Example is this pic. Its lacking something, too bright perhaps and blurry.

fNNcO.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Still a nice pic all the same. :)

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Still a nice pic all the same. :)

Thanks. You should of seen how drenched in snow I was after it went past :D

Burst is just the setting that takes continuous pictures at very quickly yes? I tried it once before but I found on my camera (fujifilm finepix, cheapest yoke in argos) it gave poor quality. Example is this pic. Its lacking something, too bright perhaps and blurry.

Just looking back at your post 10. Whatever settings you had there - pictures are dead sharp. I'd be inclined to stick with those settings. Maybe someone else could also offer some advice. TBH your pics are fine, wish some of mine were as good. I found getting the hang of the 'edit' functions really improved the end product, especially if e.g. the loco needed to be zoomed up a bit. Burst is as you say. When a loco is just a little distance off where i want it to be, I set it off and that gives me a choice of pics in quick succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its the controls of the steam engine 186.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Last of my pics from last year. The IRRS in conjunction with IE ran a farewell tour to mark the end of the MKIII coaching stock on IE rails and an inaugral loco run over the newly re-opened WRC. Routing was from Connolly to Limerick via Phoenix Park tunnel and direct curve at Limerick junction. A loco change at Limerick and on to Ennis for a short layover and then the rest of the WRC to Athenry. From Athenry it was a straight run home with a couple of stops to allowing passing trains.

Great day out and a sad reinforcement of the fact that the MKIII's were arguably imo the finest coaching stock ever to run on irish rails and were prematurely withdrawn.

P1010808.JPG

P1010802.JPG

Rest of the album here:IRRS WRC/MKIII Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Great day out and a sad reinforcement of the fact that the MKIII's were arguably imo the finest coaching stock ever to run on irish rails and were prematurely withdrawn
    That's an understatement. The government was allowed to waste public money on unneeded new coaching stock though. It's as though they were expecting a downturn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a scandal really. MkIII coaches in the Uk are at a premium and will still be friont line stock for years to come. Quality coaches, hardly a sound or bump at 125mph

MkIV? (Irish style):eek:

corktina wrote: »
    a scandal really. MkIII coaches in the Uk are at a premium and will still be friont line stock for years to come. Quality coaches, hardly a sound or bump at 125mph

MkIV? (Irish style):eek:

Hardly a sound? Not from what I remember! THey were extremely noisy on the inside and constantly squeeking and grinding loudly. I still loved them though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Hardly a sound? Not from what I remember! THey were extremely noisy on the inside and constantly squeeking and grinding loudly. I still loved them though :D

"in the UK" the poor track herer would be responsible for any deficancies in the rie

When the automatic gangway doors weren't working, which happened fairly often in later years, they were much louder as you could hear everything from the outside.

Nonetheless they were my favourite coach by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A couple of more from my rapidly dwindling archive. :D

raildribble002.jpg
    078 on a Knock special at Youghal in the early 1980s.

raildribble001.jpg
    175 on North Kerry weedsprayer at Newcastle West in 198(x) - I haven't been back since they bastardised the once interesting location.

Up Enterprise just South of Clongriffin today circa 14.40 hrs. DVT 9003 Loco No possibly 208 ??? :)

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10418
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10417
    picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=10419

If your camera has a Shutter Priority mode, use that. Nikon's usually indicate it as SP on their mode dial, Canon's mark it as Tv ("Time Value"). If your camera doesn't have this mode, see if it has a mode for 'sport' or 'action'.

Camera sensor is designed like a pair of curtains. The first curtain opens and the second curtain closes. With a fast shutter speed, this happens to fast, that the curtains open and close so quickly that the 'window'/shutter isn't open long enough to see any action (thus it freezes everything).

If the shutter speed is slow, it will record action (hence why your train is a bit blurry. The curtains were open too long, so they didn't 'freeze' the train).

So next time you head out, stick it in shutter priority, and set it to 1/500 (on DSLRs this will be fairly simple to do, but I'm not too familiar with compact cameras, so you may need to take a flick through your manual).

(This will only work in the day time by the way, in the darkness, your shutter needs to be open longer to let available light into the sensor, meaning that you'll really struggle to get a train frozen at night in your photo, unless it's stopped, obviously).

Though if you head out at night, and put your camera down on something steady (bench, rock, bridge, etc.) and hold it still with a slow shutter speed (1/15, for example), then you'll get a nice lightstreak effect like this;

stock-photo-long-exposure-of-a-nyc-subway-train-52146.jpg

(Not my own image, lifted it from a Google search).

Alternatively, if you set your shutter speed to say, ten seconds, and you put your camera down in a sturdy place, and take the photo before the train comes, and the train is gone before the second curtain closes, you'll get something like this;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSim3i5g2PrRyn20jb6lp52lT6KcmMcbuPVOymP-YAymbCTQphnIA

(Again, not my own image, lifted it from a Google search).

The reason you need to have the camera in a sturdy place and can't hold it by hand, is because it records any movement in front of it, and there's no way a human hand can hold a camera steady for ten seconds, so if you move the camera a bit, you'll get motion blur in the photo;

3-Motion-Blur.jpg
    (Not my own image).

And that's preferably avoided in these kinda photographs.

:)

Fair play on some lovely photos by the way, gents. Not a massive train enthusiast myself, but I'm hoping for some snow this winter now, so I can head out and get a few photos beside the tracks. They look great.

EDIT: By the way, cocoshovel, I really think, with all the white in that scene, your photo would make for a great black and white shot. I did a quick conversion on it, I hope you don't mind me bastardising it, but if you do, just let me know and I'll take it down;

fnnco.jpg

Just thought it'd look good in black and white so I thought i'd throw it out there incase you hadn't thought to try it out :)

Thanks Alexander Uneven Gateway, very interesting stuff there. I have a problem with blurring too, where I don't want it. On the compact I have 'Panasonic Lumix', I can see now - thanks to your post - I should have it set in Intelligent ISO mode, rather than Normal mode, for moving objects - much appreciated. ;):)

Thanks Alexander Uneven Gateway, very interesting stuff there. I have a problem with blurring too, where I don't want it. On the compact I have 'Panasonic Lumix', I can see now - thanks to your post - I should have it set in Intelligent ISO mode, rather than Normal mode, for moving objects - much appreciated. ;):)

No problem, hopefully my post made some sense :)

Without going into how things work or why they do, with ISO, what that essentially does is makes the sensor more sensitive to light. So if you double your ISO, you half your shutter speed (if that makes sense?).

That is, the camera is twice as sensitive to light, therefore the shutter doesn't need to be open as long as it did before you bumped up the ISO.

The downside to using high ISO is that you get more noise/grain in your photo.

Again, I use DSLRs myself, so I'm not too familiar with the compact camera settings these days (and there are so many different kinds it'd be impossible to know how to use them all), but that should be a rough guide for you. :)

Just one other thing, too, cameras have a limit on their maximum aperture and maximum ISO. Again, without getting technical, if you have a shutter speed of 1/500, and your photo is too dark, it means that the camera is at it's highest ISO and aperture combo. So you'll need to adjust the shutter speed (slower) until the camera can record the scene in front of it as bright as it is supposed to look.

Generally speaking, if the camera knows that the photo will be too dark, your shutter speed on the LCD will blink continuously to let you know that it's too fast.

Again though, every camera is different, and as much as people hate manuals, a quick flick through the section on the manual that explains the different modes will give you a good idea of how your particular camera operates.

If you're using the modes, most cameras have a 'fireworks' mode. This will be handy for light trails, as it selects a slow shutter speed.

Sorry if that sounds like a load of random waffle. I'm no photography teacher! :o

175 on North Kerry weedsprayer at Newcastle West in 198(x) - I haven't been back since they bastardised the once interesting location.
    I believe the last train on the North Kerry was the weedsprayer in 1986, I wonder if this is it? I've seen a photo, think it's also yours, of 175 entering Tralee from the Edward Street LC side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That would be mine alright but I have mislaid notes and dates for a lot of my photographs - sold loads of them and didn't keep the info. The North Kerry was some experience. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks a millions for the info Alexander Uneven Gateway. much appreciated and Ill keep it in mind next time Im out. Feel free to edit and use my photos if you want. Looks good in the black and white :)

On another note, I cycled up to the line yesterday to try get some pictures. It was at a railway crossing and in an awkward position so I had only 1 chance to get the snap right due to the speed of the train. Just as I was about to snap the shot the dog in the house right beside me went mental and I jumped in fright and missed my shot :pac:. so much for struggling up a hill on a bike in wind and rain for 20 minutes.

Advertisement