Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Today's photos shows the ongoing work at Limerick Jct. in construction of the new Down Main Platform and a relic from the past at Limerick with a CIE 20ft container on a liner flat.

Click https://goo.gl/E431MU or the image below to view.

DSC_8348-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Today's photos shows the ongoing work at Limerick Jct. in construction of the new Down Main Platform and a relic from the past at Limerick with a CIE 20ft container on a liner flat.

Click https://goo.gl/E431MU or the image below to view.

DSC_8348-S.jpg

Any idea where the 20ft and wagon was hiding up till now?

Any idea where the 20ft and wagon was hiding up till now?

No idea. I spotted it last week in the sidings opposite the shed and it was moved down to its present location either yesterday or today. Where it was before I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭andrewfaulk

No idea. I spotted it last week in the sidings opposite the shed and it was moved down to its present location either yesterday or today. Where it was before I've no idea.

It’s a weird one.. the second wagon looks like it has some sort of flats on it, maybe old bogie carriers or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It’s a weird one.. the second wagon looks like it have some sort of flats on it, maybe old bogie carriers or something

Yes, they were 40ft wagons, could take one 40ft container or two x 20ft.

They were commonplace until ILDA put nails in the coffin of Irish railfreight early this century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is Limerick the only area to use letters on the network instead of feathers. Excluding platform numbers in Heuston yard and assume Connolly as well.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is Limerick the only area to use letters on the network instead of feathers. Excluding platform numbers in Heuston yard and assume Connolly as well.

No, the certain theatre route indicators at Heuston are capable of showing letters as well.
    UB - Up Branch
    UM - Up Main
    DM - Down Main

Portarlington as well.

No doubt there are others but I cannot think of anywhere else at the moment.

Latest update to the January gallery featuring:

Thursday 10th January 2019:
    An unusual visitor to Laois Traincare Depot in the form of track recording car 700.

Saturday 12th January 2019:
    18 photos from a trip from Portlaoise to Dublin with images from Heuston, Connolly and the Docklands of Dublin.

Click https://goo.gl/A8dPgz to view all the images.

DSC_8388-S.jpg

Evening folks,

Photos from the first part of this week consist of:

Monday 14th January 2019:
    While waiting for my train, I noticed that platform end fencing has appeared at Portlaoise, even the disused bay platform was treated.

Tuesday 15th January 2019:
    Pictures from Portlaoise and near Thurles today, highlight being Belmond Grand Hibernian 216 working a Cork passenger diagram.

Wednesday 16th January 2019:
    While having to make a quick sortie to the Dublin Docklands on Wednesday evening, I managed to get some photos from The Point, Spencer Dock, Mayor Square and some evening time photos at Heuston Station prior to catching my train home.

Click https://goo.gl/qy33wA to view the pictures.

DSC_8477-S.jpg

Saturday 19th January 2019:
    Today had been long marked in for a ramble around the south and west part of the IE network, but I found myself having to make changes as a short notice trip to South Wales cropped up for the next few days.

So instead of the planned circular trip from Limerick to Waterford - Kildare - Athenry - Ennis and Limerick I found myself heading from Nenagh at 0740 to Ballybrophy, Portlaoise, Portarlington, Clara, back to Portarlington before heading south to Portlaoise, Limerick Jct. , Limerick and Ennis, before retracing my steps to Thurles to be collected for a road trip to Rosslare (getting there by train or bus from Munster is a PITA these days).

Despite some miserable weather in the Midlands which wasn't great for photos it was good to venture to parts of the network I haven't been to for a while.

Highlights include seeing both up and down IWT liners and a 6pce 2800 on the Limerick Jct. shuttle in connection with a Rugby match at Limerick.

Click the image below to see the full collection.

DSC_8513-M.jpg

• Advertisement

A short notice trip to South Wales cropped up in early January which saw me spending four days west of Cardiff for a family event this week.

Unusually for me, I decided to bring the car across on the Stena Europe instead of travelling foot passenger or flying. This opportunity enabled me to do some lineside photography at various locations in the Cardiff area and towards Fishguard.

Photos from the trip include:
    - Rosslare Europort.
    - Stena Europe.
    - Fishguard.
    - Whitland.
    - Pontyclun.
    - Llantrisant Level Crossing
    - Margam Yard.
    - Tondu.
    - Pontypridd.
    - Barry Island.
    - Ferryside.

Highlights include steel freight trains from Margam, the Murco tanker train and the Network Rail New Measurement Train (HST).

Click https://goo.gl/8Ug8nY to view all the images.

DSC_8758-S.jpg
    DSC_8831-S.jpg
    DSC_8847-S.jpg
    DSC_8988-S.jpg

Afternoon all,

The latest images from January have been uploaded to the website featuring:

Wednesday 23rd January 2019:
    After alighting from the Stena Europe, 22053 arrived at Rosslare Europort on the 1333 from Connolly.

Saturday 26th January 2019:
    Over the weekend of the Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th January, all Maynooth and Sligo services were diverted to operate over the Midland Great Western line via Newcomen Jct. instead of the normal booked route via Drumcondra over the Great Southern and Western Line due to engineering works at Glasnevin Jct. Pictures are from various locations on the Midland line in Dublin.

Click https://goo.gl/EFFozr to view them.

DSC_9089-S.jpg

Evening folks,

Pictures from the last week of January feature:

Monday 28th January 2019:
    Today's pictures come from a sunny, but cold Portlaoise.

Tuesday 29th January 2019:
    Two pictures from today at Portlaoise and Limerick. The 1400 Heuston - Cork service had the Irish President Michael D. Higgins onboard.

Wednesday 31st January 2019:
    Pictures today come from Ballybrophy and Limerick Jct.

Click https://goo.gl/WJUM9x to view.

DSC_9152-S.jpg

Since my last visits in April 2011 and June 2015 the Tralee and Blennerville railway continues to decay. Parts of the trackbed have disappeared under a forest of weeds and in some cases trees with parts of Ballyard Station in Tralee being the worst.

Back in my 2015 visit I reported on the then newly formed Tralee & Dingle Railway Preservation Society attempts to reopen the railway. Sadly little if no progress has been made and their website hasn't been updated since 2015. It is unclear what future direction the railway will take.

Click the image below to see all the pictures.

DSC_9210-M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Probably disappear under tarmac to become yet another greenway.

Evening folks,

We start off the February gallery with:

Friday 1st February 2019:
    A few images from Limerick today as in was in the city for a few hours.

Saturday 2nd February 2019:
    A couple of pictures from around the Killarney area.

Click https://goo.gl/1Tqizg or the image below to view them all.

DSC_9169-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Probably disappear under tarmac to become yet another greenway.

And that would be bad because?
    Fair enough if it can be got up and running again, but if it's just gonna be left rot, then let it be used for something else...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I like the way these are left and then it has a bit of history and if untouched it's actually quite nice to see what once was.

It's like the trams in Dublin which never have been discontinued and tracks ripped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Markcheese wrote: »
    And that would be bad because?
    Fair enough if it can be got up and running again, but if it's just gonna be left rot, then let it be used for something else...

I didn't say that it would be bad - in fact in the case of Tralee/Blennerville it would be all they (the Tralee business clique) deserve. However, as regards tarmac....gravel perhaps.

Wednesday 6th February 2019:
    A varied selection of images today comes from
    - Rosskelton to see the 3+5ICR on the 1000 Heuston - Cork,
    - Portlaoise with 079 arriving from Carlow with an empty materials train
    - Limerick Jct. to see the latest progress on the new Down Platform there.

Click https://goo.gl/rh7wTf or the image below to view them all.

DSC_9269-S.jpg

• Advertisement

What are those trains like as they are Hyundai??? Are they reliable.

What are those trains like as they are Hyundai??? Are they reliable.

Largest fleet in the country (63 sets total of 234 vehicles), so for the size of them yes they are a reliable fleet.

Largest fleet in the country (63 sets total of 234 vehicles), so for the size of them yes they are a reliable fleet.

Cool thanks for the reply. I was on one a week ago and thought the sound proofing could have been better but they were ok.

Seats not the best ever either.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Ireland trains

Why was there an 8icr on the Dublin-Cork service. Was it due to engineering works of a last minuet train set swap

Why was there an 8icr on the Dublin-Cork service. Was it due to engineering works of a last minuet train set swap

Due to planned engineering works for 6 weeks as noted in the picture caption. Click on it to see.

http://www.irishrail.ie/service-updates/irishrail-engineering-works#CorkLimerickTralee
    Due to 6 weeks of Engineering Works between Mallow and Cork, the following alterations will apply Monday to Thursday from Monday 21st January until Thursday 28th February:

21:00hrs Heuston to Cork will operate to Mallow only, bus transfers from Mallow to Cork
    22:00hrs Cork to Mallow will be substituted by bus transfers
    22:30hrs Mallow to Cork will be substituted by bus transfers
    23:00hrs Cork to Mallow will be substituted by bus transfers

I had business in Dublin on Friday afternoon so once that was out of the way I went over to Pearse to see the recent developments there with the roof renewal. After sampling the 1641 GCD - Hazelhatch service between Pearse and Parkwest (most seats in the carriage I was in were occupied), I doubled back to Heuston on the 1625 Portlaoise - Heuston to catch the 1800 Heuston - Cork to Ballybrophy for the Nenagh branch connection. An interesting, if a little convoluted way of getting across the city.

Click https://goo.gl/8y3PFc to view all the images.

DSC_9309-S.jpg

Saturday 9th February 2019:

I ventured on a circular trip today from Nenagh to Galway, outward via Portarlington and returning via the Western Corridor to Limerick. Pictures come from:
    - Ballybrophy
    - Portlaoise
    - Portarlington. Includes Belmond liveried 216 passing on a Cork service.
    - Athlone where we passed retro Irish Rail liveried 073 on the North Wall bound IWT liner.
    - Galway
    - Athenry
    - Ennis
    - Limerick, including images of the disused Foynes / Cement Factory Siding.

Click https://goo.gl/ecND4R to see all the images from today.

DSC_9426-S.jpg
    DSC_9463-S.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Have to agree with your comment on image 74.

Sad that the turntable is disconnected in image 76.

Morning folks,

Some pictures from a trip to Athlone yesterday at Kildare, Portarlington and Athlone.

Click https://goo.gl/vUT2mL to view all the images.

DSC_9549-S.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭angelIRL

Advertisement