Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faulty goods

• 10-07-2013 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

I bought a small electronic item from a shop in March/April this year. Worked perfectly fine until a week ago and then stopped working altogether. I changed the batteries and still wouldn't work. It was not dropped or got a bang. I don't have a receipt for the product and I'm not sure if I paid cash or card. Do I have any rights to get this sorted with the shop? If they refuse, do I have any come back with the manufacturer? Item cost €60

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

If it was Argos they are usually very helpful but you do need the receipt or if you used your card check your statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

No, it wasn't Argos and I think I paid cash with no receipt. Kinda screwed then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

houseplant wrote: »
    No, it wasn't Argos and I think I paid cash with no receipt. Kinda screwed then

Not necessarily. You only need proof of purchase if the retailer asks for it so try the retailer anyway. They might even have their own record of the sale.

If the item has a manufacturer's guarantee then you should be covered if you meet the T&Cs, otherwise the manufacturer has no liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

If it's shop branded or an exclusive brand - such as some of the stuff from Aldi, you also have recourse with the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Keira Attractive Roaster

Why not call in and see what the shop says first, rather than have a load of what-ifs and playing about with various scenarios? See if there is a problem before getting loads of solutions

• Advertisement

Sorry, should have added that I took it into the shop last week, sp

... spoke to a member of staff who really didn't seem interested, she asked the manager who said he would contact the rep and get back to me. Still no word back. Just want to be aware of my rights when I call them back

Advertisement