Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Faulty Goods Bought Online

Options
  • 10-07-2013 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for some advice

Parents bough me a baby monitor on the 1st of March

Baby born at the End of May

We started using the monitor only in the last 2/3 weeks but noticed that the parent unit is not fully charging, its faulty

Contacted the website via email, got an automated response to say I would be contacted within 24 hours, 3 days later I bite the bullet and ring them

They told me to talk to the manufacturer, I told them the contract was with them so I wouldnt do that

They told me to refer to the their terms and conditions on the site to say that fauly goods must be return within 30 days of purchase?

So what happens here. No mention of 30 days on Citizens Information website

Also if I was to send the faulty goods back, who pays for the courier? Why should I be out of pocket?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First question: where is the retailer actually located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If an item is faulty, you deal with the retailer.

However, sometimes with electrical items the retailer will direct you to the manufacturer more to save time and hassle, on all sides.

It may be a very simple fault, - try completely running the battery down and then re-charging it.

If it came with a info booklet, check if that has any info on returns - normally the manufacturer will collect the item or have a freepost number.

You could of course insist on the retailer doing everythignfor you - but in reality a manufacterer will deal a lot quicker and effeciently with you. If there are no details of the distributor/manufacturer, the retail is obliged by law to accept the product back and repair, replace or refund - but if its not a manufacturing fault, they can charge you for repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Inhealth Ltd
    56 D Blackthorn Rd
    Sandyford
    Dublin 18
    Tel : +353 (1) 8748727
    Email : info@inhealth.ie

I rang that number but I was diverted to what sounded like an American lady, very bad line, and she handn't a clue. she was just reading from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You will be dealing with the website only your contract is with then. Write to them asking for repair or replacement etc. try keep all contact in writing so you'll have a paper trail. If you still get no where write to the company giving them 10 days to fulfil their legal responsibilities if they still don't you may have to try the small claims court. The only issue may be that you didn't buy the product so technically their contract isn't with you but with the original buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

First, you don't have any rights with the shop, as you didn't bought it.

As the shop doesn't seem to be willing to deal with you, your parents (who bought the monitor and therefore have consumer rights with the shop) should contact them. If the shop refuse again to deal with them, your parents should send a letter, demanding their rights of repair, replacement or refund within ten days. If they still refuse to deal with it, your parents have to file a claim with the Small Claims court.

• Advertisement

The other thing you could do is to follow their fairly simple faulty product return process that they outline on their website.
    (have you bothered to read the "returns" section of their site?)

They even have a pre-printed form for you to download. http://www.inhealth.ie/images/return-form.pdf

This from their very easily found "returns" page

If the item becomes faulty

Please keep all the warranty information that accompanies your item. You may find it quicker and easier to contact the manufacturer directly so that they can rectify the problem for you.

On returning items please supply details of your order number, name and date of order. You will be liable for the cost of re-delivery and our processing fees. We highly recommend that items are returned via a Recorded Delivery service as we do not accept responsibility for items lost in the post. It is your responsibility to ensure the goods are adequately packaged so that they are not damaged during return transit. inhealth will check all items returned to us as being damaged or defective. In the event we don't find a fault, we reserve the right to recover our fees and expenses from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

sandin wrote: »
    The other thing you could do is to follow their fairly simple faulty product return process that they outline on their website.
    (have you bothered to read the "returns" section of their site?)

They even have a pre-printed form for you to download. http://www.inhealth.ie/images/return-form.pdf

This from their very easily found "returns" page

If the item becomes faulty

Please keep all the warranty information that accompanies your item. You may find it quicker and easier to contact the manufacturer directly so that they can rectify the problem for you.

On returning items please supply details of your order number, name and date of order. You will be liable for the cost of re-delivery and our processing fees. We highly recommend that items are returned via a Recorded Delivery service as we do not accept responsibility for items lost in the post. It is your responsibility to ensure the goods are adequately packaged so that they are not damaged during return transit. inhealth will check all items returned to us as being damaged or defective. In the event we don't find a fault, we reserve the right to recover our fees and expenses from you.

Yes I did bother to read this, but why should I incur any costs for a faulty product?

I've contacted Tomy this morning, waiting a call back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This returns procedure only applies to change of mind returns the op is returning an item not fit for purpose.

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Yes I did bother to read this, but why should I incur any costs for a faulty product?

I've contacted Tomy this morning, waiting a call back

So why didn;t you ask the correct question?
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This returns procedure only applies to change of mind returns the op is returning an item not fit for purpose.

Can't see how "If the item becomes faulty" can mean anythignother than what the op has eaperienced.

They do have a seperate 30day return policy but that is detailed seperately.

Advertisement