Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deposit for holiday home

• 10-07-2013 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭eoin95

A few weeks ago I booked and paid a deposit for a small holiday home. Now with 3 weeks to go I have had to cancel the booking. There were no terms and conditions attached to the deposit that I was made aware of or was on the website. When I called to cancel I was given a story about deposit only returned if the dates are sold again, or if person that made the booking can't come due to illness or bereavement.

I gave the person 3 weeks notice so I can not see how they can hold my deposit. Is there any formal regulations on this or where do I stand?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Generally a deposit is an agreement to purchase goods or services. You are breaking the contract, and not fulfilling your end, so unless they expressly said you would with x amount of notice, why should you get the deposit back?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do you think a deposit is for?

Sounds fair enough to me,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

sorry op, I would automatically assume that a deposit was at stake in such circumstances. 3 weeks is not a long time to fill a holiday home booking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

theteal wrote: »
    sorry op, I would automatically assume that a deposit was at stake in such circumstances. 3 weeks is not a long time to fill a holiday home booking

Also if it's 3 weeks from now it's high season which means they may well be out of pocket a good bit if they can't get someone else in promptly.

A lot of people going on holidays in August would have booked ages ago and those that are booking last minute will be looking for last minute prices.

Probably would have been more flexible outside the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭eoin95

If there were no terms and conditions attached to deposit it is not far fetched to assume it is refundable. Many organisations have similar policies that if x amount of notice is given then its fine such as hotels, and yes there are also hotels that don't refund but this is clearly stated at time I booking...

And also how an I to know if they fill the house, unless I drive and check they can just say house was empty and so no refund.

I have no problem with deposits not being refunded but

a) I am giving a few weeks notice, not just calling the night before

b) it was never stated that deposit was non refundable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The whole reason for the holiday home owner is to protect them from loss in the case of you cancelling at short notice and yes three weeks is short notice during the high season as people normally book for that time months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

eoin95 wrote: »
    If there were no terms and conditions attached to deposit it is not far fetched to assume it is refundable.

actually .. i would be of the opinion that it is very far fetched to assume it is refundable!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

OP, i would assume that 3 weeks would be short notice as most people would have holidays booked for that period. The home owner would be out of pocket and may have to give a discount to entice people to take the house for those weeks so the deposit is against this.
    I'm sure the owner would have refunded you if they knew they'd have something lined up to replace your stay but in this instance i think they are within their rights to withhold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Mary Scruffy Quitter

Firstly, the default would be that a refund is non-refundable unless t&c says otherwise. Secondly, 3 weeks in peak season is very short notice. You do not have any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I thought that unless it would have stated that deposits are refundable that any deposit would be non refundable. I thing you are just going to have to write that money you paid op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Miaireland wrote: »
    I thought that unless it would have stated that deposits are refundable that any deposit would be non refundable. I thing you are just going to have to write that money you paid op.

nope, as above, it is assumed the deposit is non refundable unless specified otherwise.

Look at it another way - if the holiday home company told you with 3 weeks to go that the house was not available, what would your reaction be?

You paid a deposit, your contract gives you the right to that house for that period, but likewise, if you don't use it, the compnay ahs a right to keep your deposit.

Even if they do let it out, they would not have to refund you, but obviously do as a gesture of goodwill.

Basically deposits protect both parties from cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Mary Scruffy Quitter

sandin wrote: »
    nope, as above, it is assumed the deposit is non refundable unless specified otherwise.

Read it again. That's what she said!

Advertisement