Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 5 x 09: The Dance of Dragons - HAVE READ the books

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Sleepy wrote: »
    Did you read the blog I linked you to? It puts a really interesting angle on Dany's time in Mereen and Hizdahar in particular.

Yeah just read it there, its good alright.

Im a bit far from the books now, I havent done a reread in quite a while so cant remember many of the finer details......

I think I need a full reread before the next one comes out.

celica00 wrote: »
    I actually think Emilia Clarke is really good, she is a very good actress, not sure why people are not happy with her, she act as she needs to in regards of her character.

I like her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Tyrion was better than those unsullied, they were crap yet again.

Where have they all gone?!

When she arrived she had an army. Lots died when they were ambushed in the streets but it didn't seem like THAT many, and she was left with about 15 lastnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Cienciano wrote: »

A group of lads in tracksuits from Finglas would give the unsullied a good going over.

Quote of the week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Why do people assume that her whole unsullied army would be at the games. You would have a few bodyguards but no more, especially if you assumed that reopening the fighting pits and marrying your man had removed the threat.

With regards to the unsullied fighting abilities, spears aren't much good in close quarter combat where an attack can come from anywhere. You want short maneuverable weapons like daggers or short swords and not long range spears. Once on the arena floor where they can form a circle and the enemies only come from outside, the spears become the weapon of choice. I don't recall seeing many die once they had the positional advantage. That said they did seem to die rather easily even considering the above.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was I the only one who had that Jonsi song from How To Train Your Dragon 2 playing in my head at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

I took it as excepting her fate.

Tyrion was better than those unsullied, they were crap yet again.

If I was Dany, I'd be looking for a refund on the unsullied at this stage... oh wait :D

Ramsays 20 good men burning the supplies was the bit that got my goat. How did they manage to have all the tents burn in sequence like they did? It looked like more than 20 areas went up one after the other, they would need to be riding on horseback throwing wildfire to get that to happen.

Going to be an interesting finale, lots of expected loose ends to be tied up.
    John - to be stabbed and resurrected - this is now so obvious, the twist may be a complete deviation from the book plot, ie not killed. If they do kill/raise him, I hope they do the resurrection after the credits, Marvel style.
    Ayra - think her storyline may fall back closer to the book, with her 'punishment' for killing someone she wasn't supposed to.
    Cersie - to do her walk of shame.
    Stannis on Winterfell, I'm starting not to care after bonfire night.
    Dorne - yawn
    Mereen - more Dragonborn shenanigans?
    Thats a lot to fit into 1 episode, the last 2 probably won't be in it.

I wonder for the 1st episode or 2 next season, will they introduce the Iron Islands arc in some form and focus on the Bran story before getting back to the current storylines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I just realized that in Bravos, i thought Ser Trant had recognized Ayra when he was starring at her but after what I know now he was probably just checking her out!

It probably also worth reminding that he must really have enjoyed following King Joffery's orders when it came to slapping Sansa around and tearing her dresses.

Anyone notice the Bravosi Waterdancer kicking ass in the fighting pits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

paulbok wrote: »
    I wonder for the 1st episode or 2 next season, will they introduce the Iron Islands arc in some form and focus on the Bran story before getting back to the current storylines?
    I think the whole iron island arc is going to be dropped as they have done with so many other arcs. I'd expect Ariya's arc to continue (it's behind the books still), Bran to make a comeback and of course the Sansa's arc (i.e. escape) and back to following Danarys & Mereen arcs. That should put them pretty much on track with the 5th book in the first two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I know it's only a small thing, but what was with Dany closing her eyes and the close-up just before Drogon arrived? Was that her accepting her fate that she was about to be killed? Or was it implying that she was using some sort of dragon-summoning powers that she's suddenly developed?

At first I thought she might be doing some dragon-summoning thing but then she looks up in surprise at the arrival of Drogon, so I think she was accepting her fate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Anyone notice the Bravosi Waterdancer kicking ass in the fighting pits?

Ya that was cool, It was good to see a Bravosi kicking a knights ass. I though Jorah would kill him because the writers would have forgotten how good a a Bravosi is supposed to be.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zillah wrote: »
    At first I thought she might be doing some dragon-summoning thing but then she looks up in surprise at the arrival of Drogon, so I think she was accepting her fate.

Yeah I think you're right, she thought she was buggered. For a second though I thought her eyes were going to open and be all whited out like a warg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it wrong that I wouldn't be surprised to see Shireen's death show up on /r/unexpectedjihad? :pac:

paulbok wrote: »
    Going to be an interesting finale, lots of expected loose ends to be tied up.
    John - to be stabbed and resurrected - this is now so obvious, the twist may be a complete deviation from the book plot, ie not killed. If they do kill/raise him, I hope they do the resurrection after the credits, Marvel style.
    Ayra - think her storyline may fall back closer to the book, with her 'punishment' for killing someone she wasn't supposed to.
    Cersie - to do her walk of shame.
    Stannis on Winterfell, I'm starting not to care after bonfire night.
    Dorne - yawn
    Mereen - more Dragonborn shenanigans?
    Thats a lot to fit into 1 episode, the last 2 probably won't be in it.

There is a tonne to fit in, that for sure.

Stannis/Brienne/Sansa/Boltons all converge on WF.
    Jon Snow and the letter and For The Watch, now featuring Davos (possibly). I think his fate will be left unknown, as in the books.
    Arya and Trant.
    Meereen - The lads left behind, sure they were still in danger in the pits when she flew off, will they be a bit pissed off.
    Dany - fully expect that whole Dohraki sea scene to be cut or replaced.
    Dorne - some sort of double cross has to happen and Bronn to get the axe.
    Kingslanding - Cersei's walk of shame and Ser Robert Strongs intro, they probably won't even mention\show Tommen or Margery.

Stannis to live out the season? I don't think so now, he doesn't have the means to take WF now, but sure the writers don't care anyways, Brienne might give him a leg up over the WF walls. Or kill him.

As for the Iron Islands, it sounds like they might feature next season, but if they get the same treatment Dorne did, then I'd be happy to see them cut completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

BKtje wrote: »
    Why do people assume that her whole unsullied army would be at the games. You would have a few bodyguards but no more, especially if you assumed that reopening the fighting pits and marrying your man had removed the threat.

With regards to the unsullied fighting abilities, spears aren't much good in close quarter combat where an attack can come from anywhere. You want short maneuverable weapons like daggers or short swords and not long range spears. Once on the arena floor where they can form a circle and the enemies only come from outside, the spears become the weapon of choice. I don't recall seeing many die once they had the positional advantage. That said they did seem to die rather easily even considering the above.

Add to that the unsullied would have been trained to fight as a unit on the battlefield. They're used to fighting in a block of soldiers together, not 1-on-1 against individual opponents. Plus as a slave army they would be more used to obeying orders than acting on their own. Having said that it doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't have a short sword they could draw for close quarter fighting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Stannis to live out the season? I don't think so now, he doesn't have the means to take WF now, but sure the writers don't care anyways, Brienne might give him a leg up over the WF walls. Or kill him
    I expect him to be betrayed by the northerners on his side (it's heavily hinted at in the book) and they will use his kinslaying as the justification. Basically Stanis goes charge with his army and as they get to the wall and engage the enemy the northerners in his army turns around and start to slaughter his army instead. Queue scene with Stanis going "Why?" and one of the lords telling him that the old gods don't abide kin slaying.

This would also be the same time that Sansa gets to make her escape and head for the wall to try to convince John to go after Bran etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

Nody wrote: »
    I think the whole iron island arc is going to be dropped as they have done with so many other arcs. I'd expect Ariya's arc to continue (it's behind the books still), Bran to make a comeback and of course the Sansa's arc (i.e. escape) and back to following Danarys & Mereen arcs. That should put them pretty much on track with the 5th book in the first two episodes.

Nah casting ads were leaked a couple of weeks back, they're looking for people matching descriptions of some of the Iron Islanders, speculation is that Victarion and Euron will be merged.

Besides I don't think they'd just drop the entire plot after spending a good chunk of time on them in previous seasons, plus it looks like they'll have some role to play in the future

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I think you're right, she thought she was buggered. For a second though I thought her eyes were going to open and be all whited out like a warg.

This didnt occur to me but I would have loved it!!

Stannis/Brienne/Sansa/Boltons all converge on WF.
    Jon Snow and the letter and For The Watch, now featuring Davos (possibly). I think his fate will be left unknown, as in the books.
    Arya and Trant.
    Meereen - The lads left behind, sure they were still in danger in the pits when she flew off, will they be a bit pissed off.
    Dany - fully expect that whole Dohraki sea scene to be cut or replaced.
    Dorne - some sort of double cross has to happen and Bronn to get the axe.
    Kingslanding - Cersei's walk of shame and Ser Robert Strongs intro, they probably won't even mention\show Tommen or Margery.

My predictions:

Winterfellmageddon featuring Stannis/Roose/Brienne/Sansa/Theon. Perhaps Brienne gets her revenge for Renly. Maybe Theons sister shows up?

Jon Snow - decides to go to Winterfell to ask Stannis for dragon glass in exchange for supplies - cue the Stabby Stab Fest.

Arya will pretend she is going to sleep with Trant and kill him.

Meereen/Dany/Dorne - I dont think they will feature.

Cersei and the walk of shame, maybe we will see Robert Strong but I think they will hold that til next season.

Final scene - either Jon dying or warging into Ghost or opening his eyes after stabbing. They might leave it as a cliff hanger but usually they finish on something uplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hang on if ser fish fingers is carrying a letter to jon snow then it can't be the pink letter can it? Even if Stannis lied about its contents to him it won't make any sense having yer man deliver it.

Unless the boltons intercept him en route..

• Advertisement

BlibBlab wrote: »
    Besides I don't think they'd just drop the entire plot after spending a good chunk of time on them in previous seasons, plus it looks like they'll have some role to play in the future

I think someone in the non readers thread posted an image called SS Abandoned Plotlines, with all the characters the writers have conveniently forgotten about.

In season 1, they mention the Greyjoy rebellion quite a bit and Jaime even describes seeing Theon, like seeing a shark on a mountaintop. And his uncles are then mentioned later too when Theon is speaking to Tyrion after he passed through WF on his way south.

I don't recall the 2 uncles being mentioned again after that...

They appear to have forgotten about Balon and Yara/Asha completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nody wrote: »
    I expect him to be betrayed by the northerners on his side (it's heavily hinted at in the book) and they will use his kinslaying as the justification. Basically Stanis goes charge with his army and as they get to the wall and engage the enemy the northerners in his army turns around and start to slaughter his army instead. Queue scene with Stanis going "Why?" and one of the lords telling him that the old gods don't abide kin slaying.

This would also be the same time that Sansa gets to make her escape and head for the wall to try to convince John to go after Bran etc.

I doubt it. They have no love for Bolton either, so I think they'll just desert rather than risk a bloody slaughter beneath Bolton's walls.

Zillah wrote: »
    I doubt it. They have no love for Bolton either, so I think they'll just desert rather than risk a bloody slaughter beneath Bolton's walls.

Plus isn't Stannis' army in the show mostly southerners?

Correct me if I am wrong there, but the show didn't really show him attempting to rally any northern lords or hill clans or wildlings.

He sent letters alrite and they showed him reading Mormonts response.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

MrWalsh wrote: »
    but usually they finish on something uplifting.

Not with this ending soundtrack ->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxtO2mKY6QI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Add to that the unsullied would have been trained to fight as a unit on the battlefield. They're used to fighting in a block of soldiers together, not 1-on-1 against individual opponents. Plus as a slave army they would be more used to obeying orders than acting on their own. Having said that it doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't have a short sword they could draw for close quarter fighting.

(Stolen from Reddit)

O4bPPRh.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

So Davos/Jon/Sansa all end up at the Nights Watch/Winterfell. Sansa is the one who sends Davos to find Rickon knowing Bran is North of the Wall (finding out from Sam?)

Daith wrote: »
    So Davos/Jon/Sansa all end up at the Nights Watch/Winterfell. Sansa is the one who sends Davos to find Rickon knowing Bran is North of the Wall (finding out from Sam?)

Or (as suggested here by someone else), Brienne is sent to find Rickon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Or (as suggested here by someone else), Brienne is sent to find Rickon?

Oh yeah Brienne and her never ending quest to fail to bring Stark children anywhere. Forgot about her :)

House Baratheon is gone now isnt it?

Robert had no trueborn children.

Renly had no children.

Stannis just murdered his only child.

I guess Stannis could murder his wife then marry some young fertile girl and have lots of sons but its looking unlikely.

• Advertisement

House Baratheon is gone now isnt it?
    There are those 10+ bastards from Robert that the king could declare as legal heirs but yea once Stanis & wife goes the house goes as it currently stands.

Advertisement