Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civilization 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Awesome game is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭eko

How much is this on retail today? Was going to buy it on Steam, but seemed to be a tad pricey.. or is it about the same?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Blowfish wrote: »
    Some are some aren't, in my case one city state in particular is incredibly useful.

I started off on Warlord (still pretty easy at that level) as the Romans. Since both unique Roman units depend on iron it's a pretty important resource for me, but I only have 2 in my own territory. I discovered soon enough though that one of the city states on the other side of the continent had no less than 8 in it's territory. It'd take far too much of my army/resources to wade the whole way across the continent to it, so I just became allies with them to get the iron and pumped out a load more Legions, leading me to be able to absolutely destroy all my neighbours.

Most of the ones I've come across have loads of horses or wine, great for making the alcoholic pikey unit :) I shall have a proper day long game started tonight after work.

I'm kinda missing the Religion part of the last game, it was a nice spying aid and cash machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

€40 in game

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xRodge

ShaneU wrote: »
    €40 in game
    Saw that today, glad I decided to look around a little.
    Got it for €34.99 in hmv on grafton street

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have one major gripe with the game and at the moment it's a big one. Started on large map with 10 civs and default amount of city states, by turn 300 it was virtually unplayable, everything was fine once it was my turn, but click next turn and at times I'd say it took nearly a minute.

I tried changing settings from dx 10 all settings on high 4xMSAA to dx 9 all settings on medium no AA, it performed worse. Obviously there is a huge amount of number crunching going on, but when I checked my CPU performance it just wasn't utilizing it properly.

There doesn't seem to be any options to turn off AI unit moves like in civ 4 (I haven't checked the .ini yet) or turn off animations. I just felt a bit disappointed that it seems so unoptimized. I used to always play on huge maps on civ 4 and thats just not an option here yet.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There doesn't seem to be any options to turn off AI unit moves like in civ 4 (I haven't checked the .ini yet) or turn off animations. I just felt a bit disappointed that it seems so unoptimized. I used to always play on huge maps on civ 4 and thats just not an option here yet.
    You can actually turn off animations, but oddly you can only do it when setting up the game initially.

I'm on a standard map with 8 CIVS/16 City States at about 100AD and it's been fine performance wise for me so far, so I'm not sure what could be happening in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭eko

ShaneU wrote: »
    €40 in game
    xRodge wrote: »
    Saw that today, glad I decided to look around a little.
    Got it for €34.99 in hmv on grafton street

Thanks guys. I couldn't wait and bought it in Gamestop Dun Laoghaire for 39.99. Gonna try to set aside an hour or two to play this late night tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

*Loads tutorial* - *head explodes* :p
    Seems good, I'm a newbie to civ.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

Shy_Dave! wrote: »

Give it a hundred turns and you'll be hooked...

• Advertisement

Shy_Dave! wrote: »

That sounds awesome. I would love to be doing something like discovering Civ for the first time. *sniffle* aah the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Delhi is now my puppet state :pac: I wonder if India only have one city in every game.

Blowfish wrote: »

I'm on a standard map with 8 CIVS/16 City States at about 100AD and it's been fine performance wise for me so far, so I'm not sure what could be happening in your case.

Ye game was running fine then it was when I was pushing towards 1800s that it became far too tedious between turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Quite a change from Civ 4, I do like it, but the AI does not seem to be able to handle the new way you have to approach military at all.

I know AI has never been terribly brilliant in these games, but the tactical approach you need now really doesn't suit it. I prefer a 'builder' approach myself but it's way too easy to win by military in Civ 5, so far at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Only 4 maps?thought there was a lot more that that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Only 4 maps?thought there was a lot more that that.

On the Setup Game screen, click Advanced Setup and there's about 20 map types available.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im also crashing to the desktop when I try to play on largest size map but it does'nt happen on the any map type below standard,fairly pissed off with this,anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Quite a change from Civ 4, I do like it, but the AI does not seem to be able to handle the new way you have to approach military at all.

I know AI has never been terribly brilliant in these games, but the tactical approach you need now really doesn't suit it. I prefer a 'builder' approach myself but it's way too easy to win by military in Civ 5, so far at least.

Yeah I've seen the AI make some really basic military blunders on Prince difficulty which I wasn't expecting. It doesn't seem to guard its artillery properly at all, to the point of moving one within 2 spaces of a horsemen unit of mine, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Clever AI, I did a the tutorial so had a map with jsut one other civ (Romans) and some city-states,
    I was massing units by the Roman border and on the same turn that I declared war the Romans became friends/allies with the two city-states who then of course declared war on me!

Almost won a cultural victory as Ghandi on prince, only for bloody Askia to finish me off with 6 turns left in the Eutopia project. Was a great game though and I only had one city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

1 city? Did you just press return every 30 seconds?

No plenty to do fighting barbarians and managing workers in a huge city sphere. I used to always automate workers in previous civs because I found them rather annoying but the system works a treat now.

The enemy AI is much more willing to give you sweet peace deals, and without you even asking! I was in a long war with Rome. Took 2 of his roughly nine cities then started besieging a 3rd. Next turn he pops up and offers me all his gold, all his resources, the city I had just started besieging plus two additional cities I hadn't even attacked yet! AI in previous games would never part with cities so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah I find if you get in a nice spot of persistingly dicking on a side they tone down their demands for peace more and more until they start paying you for peace.

I lost dublin as an allied city state to Arab nation. Very annoyed about that, but a fleet of destroyers/battleships should take it back (though its over in china for some reason. :D)

Overall like it enough. City states add a nice touch and its combat is more engaging.

Course as per all my civ playthroughs I burn through 6-8 hours on my first go alone.

Though I dont remember being able to resurrect lost civs before? I conquered the japanese capitol off from the aztec civ and the game offered for me to liberate instead of conquer. Which I did and now the japanese are back in the game and very loyal to me, so I am using them as a buffer between me and the arab empire (which is pretty much all of asia, while I hold north america and south america, Japan and France are europe and africa and I've been giving them land and gold to keep them on my side so the arab nation cant strike at Berlin (which is in florida) via a naval assault without working through my pacific defence.

I intend to ressurect the americans next (in India) just cause they will be within spitting distance of Mecca which will give me a military victory.

my only concern and i'm not 100% on it as I havnt played civ 4 in a while but I remember the culture boarder have a much bigger impact on your nations boarders then it does in this one.

I seem to pay for my boarder extensions more then anything else at the moment and with religion gone etc I've only got one culture bomb (which made me laugh when it was a parody of man with a movie camera which I actually watched yesterday) from an artist when I built the louve.

not saying its worse for it. Just different.

The first patch will address crash issues and the AI's valuation of cities in peace negotiations.

Aww, I kind of like the AI's (lack of) valuation of cities, though I suppose it is a bit silly handing over half an empire after one silly little war.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    my only concern and i'm not 100% on it as I havnt played civ 4 in a while but I remember the culture boarder have a much bigger impact on your nations boarders then it does in this one.

I seem to pay for my boarder extensions more then anything else at the moment and with religion gone etc I've only got one culture bomb (which made me laugh when it was a parody of man with a movie camera which I actually watched yesterday) from an artist when I built the louve.

not saying its worse for it. Just different.
    It seems on that aspect that culture has been deliberately designed to be most effective when you are going for a smaller CIV with a few powerful cities, rather than for a sprawling empire.

I tried one where I just stuck to 6/7 cities in good spots and it was a lot easier to get my borders to expand. It's also a viable strategy for once, as opposed to previous civs where expansion was almost always key to winning.

Smaller civs are better for culture as you receive a 20% increase on social policies for each city you have.

Also, build the Angkor Wat wonder. It's ludicrously good for expanding your borders in the city it's built in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Smaller civs are better for culture as you receive a 20% increase on social policies for each city you have.

I normally have 3/4 cities tightly packed together. Easier to defend than sporadic cities, I usually build one city up enough so that it can create military units fast, and nothing else.

Advertisement